PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Lolita

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Lolita is one of those things I'm finding that people's opinons on it are as diverse as the fashion itself. I know people who hate it, love it, only like certain sub-styles or are just kinda "Yeah, whatever" about it.

I am in love with the Classic, Gothic and Aristocrat (I consider it still lolita) styles. I think sweet is cute on the right people, but I'm not the right person, and I reserve Guro for special occasions.

But what about you? What do you think?
Love it?
Hate it?
Kill it with a spoon?
Huggle it to bits and peices?

LVUER
04-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Love it. I'm a lolicon or pedophile (or whatever you call it). Lucky Star is my favorite show, I fell in love with Kagami Hiiragi, moe is my life, I'm not interested in real girls... ok, face it, I've ruin my life T_T

Kodos
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I see nothing wrong with the sexualization of children.

Hayashida
04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Love it. I'm a lolicon or pedophile (or whatever you call it). Lucky Star is my favorite show, I fell in love with Kagami Hiiragi, moe is my life, I'm not interested in real girls... ok, face it, I've ruin my life T_T

u messed up man

Slurpee
04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I see nothing wrong with the sexualization of children.
hahahah. mee toooo
>_> obvious sarcasm right?

I think she means the drawing of the little lolitas not the sexualization

Outcast
04-14-2011, 08:23 PM
In general I'm okay with it but I despise it in japanese comics and cartoons.

@lvuer: hahahahahaaaaa

Kodos
04-14-2011, 08:26 PM
hahahah. mee toooo
>_> obvious sarcasm right?

I think she means the drawing of the little lolitas not the sexualization
It's one and the same now. It's like saying that you are hanging up that Nazi Flag outside your door because you think it looks pretty. That may or may not be true, but the thing has become a symbol for something. To most fans of lolita stuff it is about the sexualization of children.

Outcast
04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't think she know what lolita means and instead associates it with "gothic lolita"

Rio
04-14-2011, 08:34 PM
pedophileI think you picked the wrong word (http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3A+pedophile&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1), LVUER. I suggest you don't use that word unless you're seriously itching to get followed by the authorities (police). =_=

Back on topic - I like the details in the costumes. They're so ornate and very reminiscent of the old world. And for those who are misunderstanding it.... Lolita:
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9840/fa1a5c16c4777d4921a4e95wa5.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/i/fa1a5c16c4777d4921a4e95wa5.jpg/)

Loli is the kiddies:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3762/loli1zn0.jpg

GunZet
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I hate most (anime) cutesy stuff anyway. So naturally I hate loli. If loli was
this
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/Zaius_Ex/sd_gundam.png
I'd be all over it.

As for the lolita dressing style, I like it. Think it's p. awesome. Especially the goth type.

LVUER
04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
FYI, nazi's flag/symbol is originated from Swastika. And swastika is a good symbol that have good meaning. Nazi makes it bad...

Outcast
04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
My freind loves bringing that fact up.

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 08:49 PM
I know what the western word "Lolita" implies, I promise. You should've seen the look on my mother's face when I told her I wanted to be a Lolita. Here I'm talking about Lolita fashion (like Rio's first example; also as found in Rozen Maiden). Maybe I should've been more clear in stating I wished to discuss the fashion?

I was hoping to find some more friends who also liked that kind of Neo-Victorian dress.

GunZet
04-14-2011, 08:51 PM
The fashion is awesome. But I'll never do it.

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't see you as being the type to wear a frilly dress.

GunZet
04-14-2011, 08:54 PM
*trots around in a tutu*
What makes you say that.

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Apperently, a very wrong hunch.

Care to model one of my new Gothic designs?

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I know what the western word "Lolita" implies, I promise. You should've seen the look on my mother's face when I told her I wanted to be a Lolita. Here I'm talking about Lolita fashion (like Rio's first example; also as found in Rozen Maiden). Maybe I should've been more clear in stating I wished to discuss the fashion?

I was hoping to find some more friends who also liked that kind of Neo-Victorian dress.

I think is not just occidental/western meaning, like I think in japan was actually taked with a very similar meaning.

If we talk about sexual lolita, then you are a sad, sad person. If is just a lolita as a type of draw, I gave a crap (In the personal I don't aim to draw those so I don't care to much).

If we talk about cloth, I think its a matter of how she looks. The problem is that, there are a lot of gothic lolita who dress with the same pattern (they convine the same pattern in cloth, accesories, shoes, etc), and that beyond to be boring it shows a narrow view. So at the end it depends on how she/he use the cloth.

GunZet
04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Apperently, a very wrong hunch.

Care to model one of my new Gothic designs?

Oh my, I love to model! *strikes a pose*

Outcast
04-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Woot woot go gunz.

LVUER
04-14-2011, 09:24 PM
@Rio:
Oh no, I definitely love the second picture than the first one... I may be wrong about definition of lolita, but I'm definitely right about the loli part. All hail moe, all hail loli, cough cough...

PS: Where did you get the pictures? They are so cute ^_^

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I try to be as original in my designs as possible, Clock, mixing in elements of American Goth subculture, Japanese Visual Kei (sometimes even a bit of Oshare Kei), pieces from old portraits, and other places. For example, as of late, I've been working on a Old-Western Lolita outfit (for a halloween thing). I haven't seen much old-west influenced lolita, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I do have my true (I call it "What Mana would wear") gothic dresses that look very oldschool gossurori without actually copying anybody's designs but, now that lolita has been around for forty years, it's kind of hard to be completely original.

Psy
04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
i think its cute and id wear it if i were ever to go out in drag (i wont tho because that would mean id have to shave my legs). Its cute when done right but its so easy for some people to go overboard with.

Kodos
04-14-2011, 09:32 PM
FYI, nazi's flag/symbol is originated from Swastika. And swastika is a good symbol that have good meaning. Nazi makes it bad...
I am aware of the history. However the fact is unchanged that the swastika has irrevocably become a symbol of the Nazi regime.

The Christian crucifix is a depiction of a cross. A method of torturous execution used by the Romans, among other cultures. Yet when someone sees a crucifix they do not think of the Romans, they think of Christianity. Symbols have meanings that can be independent of their origins. To see a swastika is to see a symbol of the Nazi regime. Period, full stop.

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Psy, buy yourself a pair of opaque tights and some long socks. ^^

LVUER
04-14-2011, 09:38 PM
@Kodos:
I know. I just want to tell people the real history of swastika symbol, just in case someone doesn't know.

Btw, I also know about the cross history.

Ozzaharwood
04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Try to stay on topic guys

I haven't really looked into lolita fashion but now that I see it, it's interesting. Do you know if there are ever conventions for it?

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I try to be as original in my designs as possible, Clock, mixing in elements of American Goth subculture, Japanese Visual Kei (sometimes even a bit of Oshare Kei), pieces from old portraits, and other places. For example, as of late, I've been working on a Old-Western Lolita outfit (for a halloween thing). I haven't seen much old-west influenced lolita, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Isn't Gothic Lolita already a mix between french/doll dress/gothic (and of course visual kei is already another fashion taked by western principles)? Do you know about deconstructing the elements for a recomposition? you could try that, more than mixing stuffs.

I do have my true (I call it "What Mana would wear") gothic dresses that look very oldschool gossurori without actually copying anybody's designs but, now that lolita has been around for forty years, it's kind of hard to be completely original.

forty years and already there is nothing new to do? or this is already over milked or people get without creativity very soon.

@Kodos:
I know. I just want to tell people the real history of swastika symbol, just in case someone doesn't know.

You really know about of what this thread is about.

I haven't really looked into lolita fashion but now that I see it, it's interesting. Do you know if there are ever conventions for it?

Creepy.

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 10:25 PM

Conventions per se, no. But most places with a lolita population will have meet-ups on a fairly regular basis and new people are always welcome-- as long as you find out about the dress code first.

@ Clock: Lolita is based on Victorian and Rococo era children's dresses. I don't really just mix, I usually take the certain pattern shapes and seams I like and re shape them to be exactly what I like. It's not just mixing together, that was just the word i decided to use for lack of a better one.

It's not that people are running out of creativity, it's that you can only do so much until it becomes considered italoli or not even fall into the lolita style.

And not creepy. Maybe he wants to try brolita or ooji.

jubeh
04-14-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm a pedophile

I already knew this but didn't you say that you are a teacher at one point.

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 11:16 PM
O_o..... Should I have not started this thread?

jubeh
04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Naw you're good

GunZet
04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Get awf my propertay, we don't lyke yer kind 'round here! *cocks makeshift shotty*

LVUER
04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
@Jubeh:
THAT'S the reason why I become a teacher.

Evil_Cake
04-14-2011, 11:32 PM
wonderful

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 11:33 PM
@Jubeh:

You are by far the most creepy person with I haver ever talk'd

GunZet
04-14-2011, 11:34 PM
@Jubeh:

lmfao WUT XDD

jubeh
04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Called it

Carry on everyone

ladyannette
04-14-2011, 11:41 PM
OO.

Rio! Oz! Someone! Help! Maybe we should close this thread and close it quickly.

jubeh
04-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Are you asking me to lock the thread? Are you being serious or what

GunZet
I'll close it tomorrow.

ClockHand
Man Ozz is still a mod? (if so, then is kinda sad for this forum).

jubeh
04-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Oz is an oekaki mod. Please let us talk about lolis or lolitas or whatnot.

GunZet
04-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Guys. Gothic lolita is the best shite.

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Minxy count as a lolita?

ladyannette
04-15-2011, 12:06 AM
I was actually being serious. but if ya'll still want to talk, go for it. I'm just going to bow out gracefully. I don't want to cause problems; I'm not feeling comfortable anymore and I'm starting to regret creating this thread.

jubeh
04-15-2011, 12:08 AM
If at any point you want me to lock it just say so.

GunZet
04-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Well if you're uncomfortable, that's understandable. I'm p. sure we're all just having fun here...except the Kodobeast.

jubeh
04-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Yeah its important to note that we are joking. Sometimes I forgot that it looks weird from the outside.

ladyannette
04-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Maybe It's just because I'm new too, and haven't learned much about you guys yet either.

I really want to try and make some more lolita-artist friends through this but not if it means I accumulate a stalker.

GunZet
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
None of us here are stalkers.
. . .
Stay away from Oz.

Hayashida
fyi most of us are hardly ever serious.

jubeh
Whoa where did the stalker thing come from

Ozzaharwood
04-15-2011, 12:21 AM
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showgroups.php

O_____O

Also, Lady, this thread has already been taken care of right?

Edit: I'm not sure if this thread should be here anymore, it's not on topic at all and I don't think LadyAnnette is comfortable with it.

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Why all the hate against Oz, guys.

jubeh
04-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Rio must not have changed it after hammie decided to stay

Edit: Man not being a dick just saying

GunZet
04-15-2011, 12:25 AM
I love messing with Oz. The wonderful Wizard of Oz.

jubeh
04-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Edit: I'm not sure if this thread should be here anymore, it's not on topic at all and I don't think LadyAnnette is comfortable with it.

Did you miss the part where we were talking to her about it orrrrrr

GunZet
04-15-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been moved yet. It's like the most off topic GD thread ever xD. Sorry Annette.

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 12:27 AM
If it's just joking around then let me get in on the action.

Uh, hey, Oz. Why all the... Uh... lameness, huh? Yeah, you're lame. How 'bout them apples.

edit: Gunzet imma kill you

ladyannette
04-15-2011, 12:28 AM
The stalker thing came from another forum I was on a long time ago. >< I just overreact at even the mention of pedophilia anymore, I'm sorry.

In an effort to get it back on topic, who wants to see one of my dress designs I drew up for a friend of mine who needed something for the AnimeBoston fashion show?

GunZet
04-15-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm interested mate.

Psy
04-15-2011, 12:32 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_99C4vESVx0g/RyQZdLRc8JI/AAAAAAAAAJU/dda8nowHNW0/s320/a&#37;2BBou%2Bof%2BAn%2BCafe...%2Bguy.jpg
Me and Bou want to know how you sew? Are you using some tutorial or have some background in sewing?

jubeh
04-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I've always wanted to learn how to sew so I could make a hakama is it hard.

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Man just buy a hakama, they're like 40 bucks

Ozzaharwood
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Last off-topic post:

Rio let me stay as a mod, she said it couldn't hurt having another one around and Hammy isn't on that often anyways.

LadyAnnette sent me a message saying this thread was bothering her, so try not to be weird.

Lastly, thanks Haya. I don't care if people hate on me as long it's a joke and they don't keep doing it.

On topic: That'd be nice Lady, especially if it can keep this thread on topic.

Psy
I can sew and its fairly easy. but with certain fabric it gets tricky im told. We should ask seefy since im p sure she said she was like forced to take sewing lessons.

allso http://sarcasm-hime.net/hakama_pattern.jpg

GunZet
I've always wanted to learn how to sew so I could make a hakama is it hard.
I knew how to sew really good when I was in home ec class...Now I completely forgot.

jubeh
04-15-2011, 12:38 AM
I can sew and its fairly easy. but with certain fabric it gets tricky im told. We should ask seefy since im p sure she said she was like forced to take sewing lessons.

allso http://sarcasm-hime.net/hakama_pattern.jpg

I've seen the patterns I just don't know what to do after that

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 12:43 AM
I've seen the patterns I just don't know what to do after that

Listen, actually now that I think about it, they're prolly around 20 bucks man.
cuz I think i got my hakama and gi thingy for kendo for around 40 bucks total.

Psy
04-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Sewing is very easy really. its like putting together a model and making sure the right pieces get put together in the right order and thread instead of glue. What takes forever is learing the little tricks for doing things and what stitch is best for this and that and how tight to make the stitches and how to remember how to hem and make patterns and alter stuff.

LVUER
04-15-2011, 12:49 AM
OOT for the last time:
Sorry I was out for quite a while, have some chores to do. And sorry for being OOT for quite some time too, just can't resist to reply (since replying questions is my policy, a habit from being a teacher I guess).

FYI, I was really thought that lolita and loli is the same thing, that's why I talk about loli. Sorry if it makes you feel uncomfortable, Lady.

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 12:50 AM
okay wait James, I was dead wrong, hakama are super expensive, you should make your own.

ladyannette
04-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh my goshness.... I LOVES Bou! ^^

I sew all sorts of things; I'll be teaching one of my other friends how soon.

This one is just something I thought would be nice on me. it isn't very gothic; it's more classic.
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x182/ladyteyamme/?action=view&current=Image3.jpg

I can't find the file for the one i was talking about and I have to use my mom's computer to use the scanner but she won't turn it on for me so more will have to wait.

Hakama.... pleated pants, right? and drawstring waist?

jubeh
04-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Yeah they're pretty sweet. My mom used to sew and she was going to make me one but her arthritis got super bad.

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Hakama are those really baggy pants that people wear in like kendo and aikido and stuff. The waist has these really long, like, bands, I guess and you have to tie them. There's four bands in all that need to be tied, one knot in the front and one in the back.
Any other questions about anything related to kendo I can answer

edit: James you're just too fast.

ladyannette
04-15-2011, 01:19 AM
I could probably make some hakama real easy. The only issue would be fabric: I'm kinda broke at the moment. ^^;

butternut
04-15-2011, 03:49 AM
Hmm, lolita. Never really gave it a thought, but I usually don't like laces, frills and stuff.

As for sewing, I learnt it wayy back as a little girl, and then not so long ago, I tried sewing because it was torn. It was disasterous, i gave it to the tailor.

Matt
04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Ah, I got here when the loli talk was done. I know absolutely nothing about sewing/designs and stuff. Not generally into laces/frills here. I like simplicity (T-shirt/sweatshirt, skirt/shorts when I draw loli/moe). No sexuality for me; I just like the cuteness. Sadly enough, it's extremely hard to find moe anime that doesn't suck and/or isn't sexual.

ClockHand
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Ladyannet@ Roccoco born in france. So when I was saying "french fashion" I was talking about that.

Jubeh@ Why would you want a hakama, when you can have a hamaca?

I want to watch more big boobs lolies.

http://inochicon.com/pictures/hannahminx.jpg

Also, this is a boring lolita:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/Gothic_lolita_takeshita_street.jpg/180px-Gothic_lolita_takeshita_street.jpg

And a cool lolita:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVE3qKizalm1PbjZK3VDvbyJAE0R8CS w5P6U1FFMnOGsusd4EK&t=1

Is not by the style per se, is how it works.

PD: In here we all joke, expect by the things about ozz being a creep and lvuer being a pedo.

Regantor
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
*Ahem* >_>

Personally I think it's pretty pathetic how a guy can't watch/read/draw something cute these days without basically being accussed of being a pedophile... but the name "Lolita" does actually come from the russian novel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_(novel)) which does indeed deal with things like sex and underage girls. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying some lass really dropped the ball on that one. x_x

Anyway. Anything with a mixture of creepy and cute is awesome in my book. "Creepy-Chan (http://antmuniverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/356992501_ca892280d5.jpg?w=500&h=375)" (Allison Harvard) and "Cake Injection (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4537479056_9ee931c77a_o.jpg)" are some pretty sweet western examples of this style extrapolated. :3

I'd probally be more into fashion if the industry wasn't totally squandered on talentless mega-egos... Arough I guess you could say that about alot of things.

Sylux
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
On the topic of hand-crafted lolita clothing, my grandma used to make frills and lacey things for my little sister. If I can find some pictures, I'll show you guys some of the things she sewed. I'm not really a great appreciator of fashion, but the dresses she made were godly. They were a bit of a mixture between tradition clothing and modern fashion. If my ladyfriend wore one of the dresses my grandma created, oh man my life would be made.

Zoe
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
I've made a few Baby replicas, but I don't have any pictures. I really haven't dressed up in lolita fashion in a few years. ;-;

I'm kind of considering getting back into it, though. I just don't know when I would be able to wear my outfits. My boyfriend find them creepy, they're not work appropriate for when I'm tutoring, and on the one day I don't work I have lab, so I can't wear skirts. ;-;

ladyannette
04-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Ugh... lots to reply to.

First, @Clock: I was trying to point out it wasn't only French.
@Regantor: you would probably like Guro-Gothic. ^^
@Stylux: if she wants dresses, I'll make them :D
@Zoe: That's sad. :( Maybe you could try some more toned down classic for when you work or maybe prince when you have your lab. And if your boy thinks it's creepy...... he's the one with issues lol. Just Kidding. c:

ClockHand
04-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Funny that you said that Lolitas are not based on french fashion, because is mostly roccoco and roccoco was a french fashion.

ladyannette
04-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Actually I didn't say it wasn't, it's actually more based on Victorian than Rococo because you find more Alice in Wonderland-type styles than Rococo. Rococo is a big part of it, but Victorian is bigger.

Lucy
04-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Lolita fashion is fucking awesome. My favorite. If I suited the style I would probably wear nothing but.

Slurpee
04-16-2011, 08:51 AM
o_o
*goes to draw gothic loli's*:monkey_study:

CypressDahlia
04-16-2011, 11:14 AM
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/60953-Shadow&#37;20of%20Death/953/27/judy_display.jpg

=) <3

GunZet
04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Manji kanji!...which reminds me, I haven't seen Manji..Jak, in a while.

ladyannette
04-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Lolita fashion is fucking awesome. My favorite. If I suited the style I would probably wear nothing but.

I sew/design. If you want, we could probably work something out. I'll be moving my stuff into a bigger area soon, so It'll be easier for me to sew.

Plus, I'm taking on an apprentice. ^^

@Slurpee: I wanna see. :D
@Cypress: I don't get it.