PDA

View Full Version : Losing is not a big deal

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
What is a spammer? who is a good player? how players should play? etc

I have been surprised how many messages (4) I have calling me spammer. I use Dormammu who is not a rushdown and is a keepaway (I use at least 4 different ranges moves when I use him), and I use Magneto disurptor to force my opponent to come closer.

Also of course i'm not going to fight hand to hand against hulk or wolverine with magneto.

So whats which is the difference between spammer and someone with a strategy?

Even in Halo my friends get angry with my when I kill'd them and they can't (because I strike more headshotts than them). Is like people is not able to accept they lose, and is not hard, for my case many times I lose against someone, and if the fight was good I send them a GG or something. I like a good fight, I don't hate spammers who only smash one buttom or use sentinel, or they pick the plasma blade in Halo. For my losing is part of the game and to be better.

GunZet
04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
It's just something about losing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and o- ver and over...........

and over and over and over and over
That really pisses people off. I'm sure you've felt the same way at some point.
I know I have.

I remember playing a game of CrossFire using my beloved Sig552 and just kicking ass, and I had this kid calling me a hacker like wtf.

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah I have get angry when I lose constantly, but not against the other guy but more against me for doing stupid mistakes.

Also when I lose I keep going and going and going until I find a way to win. Of course it become kinda personal when I lose (thats why I keep going), but is more rewarding that, that just throwing shit to your opponent.

CypressDahlia
04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Spamming in Marvel vs. Capcom is a pretty big deal because characters with spammable projectiles/projectile hypers have a huge competitive edge over rushdowns in this particular game. In most other games, spamming can be countered by rushdowns who play intelligently, but Marvel is a specific case where projectiles have supremacy, mostly due to their high damage, fast animations, lack of punishability, ease of use (most things cancel into projectiles and DHCs are infinitely easier w/ projectile hypers) and absolutely ridiculous hitboxes. Disruptor Beam locks down characters so easily. So projectile spam in MvC is particularly annoying because of how effective it is in this specific game.

Also, Sentinel is way overpowered. Why shouldn't people be mad at Sentinel? He's just a stupid creation altogether.

The issue with Dormammu is absolutely massive damage on his hypers, even on chip. If you have X-Factor and a couple hyper meters, it's essentially a win switch for Dormy (especially against weaker characters) as he can easily chip them to death. Essentially, it's like the game saying: "fuck your defense" TBH, I dont personally have any issues with Dormammu. But I can see how he would be frustrating to fight.

Fenn
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
The problem with spamming isn't the win/lose factor, its the fun factor. You can claim "competitive play/playing to win" all you want, but when the best strategies for winning a video game are boring and repetitive, what does that say about the game? Have you ever noticed that the most popular game shows and commercial sports are the ones where the best strategies are often the most exciting to watch?

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 07:38 PM
The problem with spamming isn't the win/lose factor, its the fun factor. You can claim "competitive play/playing to win" all you want, but when the best strategies for winning a video game are boring and repetitive, what does that say about the game? Have you ever noticed that the most popular game shows and commercial sports are the ones where the best strategies are often the most exciting to watch?

I disagree, soccer is the most watch sport and is the most boring one. While boxing (a high strategy sport) is one of the less watched.

Also, if you are as good as you think you are, then someone who plays as a keepaway should not be a problem? I have defeated Sentinel spammers with Thor (one of the slowest characters on the game) and defeated weskers (with the annoying teleport) with Dormammu (a character who needs to control the screen), and most of these fights I barelly use hypers.

The deal is the strategy, if you hook as a rushdown then you need to have something to kill spammers. I'm not going to throw Magneto in a hand to hand fight against Hulk, Haggar or other heavy hitter characters, it would be stupid. Or changing for Thor (because I would be in disadvantage and is I would lost a good strategy).

I understand that proyectiles are frustrating, but are not impposible to beat. I have more problems with small characters than rushdowns, hardhitters or keepaways, but I don't throw shit to the player because he used ammy.

Add:

Fuck this!!! So i was in a online match against a guy and I was "ok, I'm not going to be a damn keepaway this time, I'm going to show I can be good rushing" so I start with Magneto he with Zero, I kill'd Zero in a matter of seconds (magneto combo, aereal change thor, thor hiper, last mighty strike). The he use Deadpool and I was beating deadpool with Thor (he didn't touch me) and the guy just log out of the fight.

WTF!!! people get angry if I play with strategy and people log out if I play as a rushdown.

CypressDahlia
04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah, that's stupid. It's okay to be frustrated, but quitting in the middle of a match is just bad sportsmanship. Also, players don't have control over Ammy's size, so you can't blame them for that anyway. Though I don't know why people complain about her size considering no combos whiff on her just because she's small. Whereas plenty of combos whiff on Zero and Wolverine and their offense is much more complete than Ammy's.

But, like I said, projectile characters in this game have many many advantages over rushdowns (hell, the best rushdowns also tend to have some form of projectile) mostly because of how overpowered projectiles are in this game. They are faster, stronger and more spammable in MvC than any other game I've played. That's why it's frustrating.

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah I can't do anything because amaterasu is small, but neither I can do something if a keepaway character fight as that.

I know projectiles are annoying, because they also annoys me. But come'n we all can defeat someone who only use rang attacks.
By example: I was fighting against a guy only use Doctor Doom (Light Plasma Beam), Sentinel (sentinel force) and Dormammu. I won 4 of 4 matches, and I use Thor, the most slow character on the game and who doesn't have a teleport.

I think everyone is smart enought to defeat a keepaway player, but blaming them for playing like that is low.

I really hate this because, if I play as a rushdown they disconnect themself, if I play as a keepaway they cry. There is no win in winning.

jubeh
04-14-2011, 11:20 PM
The problem with spamming isn't the win/lose factor, its the fun factor. You can claim "competitive play/playing to win" all you want, but when the best strategies for winning a video game are boring and repetitive, what does that say about the game?

I've said this a million times but it doesn't matter. It's how it should be but not every developer wants to have to deal with that. Not every developer is capable of balancing games as well as blizzard, and even they make mistakes. Also high level play in most games is incredibly boring to watch. That doesn't make those games bad.

Also I'd like to point out that one of the whole points of spamming is to piss the other guy off. Its like tea bagging in halo. People play poorly when they are upset. Anger is pretty much useless in video games -- at least until they come out with a game that measures adrenaline. If a guy is spamming and u mad then the terrorists win.

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 12:25 AM
I have noticed in the past exactly what you described, Jubeh. When I would lose a lot of games in CoD, I would get angry at the other team (I say angry, but it was not really all that angry) and I would play a lot worse than when I was calm, so now I just either take a few breaths and relax so I can play the game better or I just shut the game off. People need to do that more often I think. Shutting the system off, that is.

Sylux
04-15-2011, 12:54 PM
I just laugh about it and smile it out, then get better or strategize. It's just like in martial arts, how most masters will thank their opponent who defeats them, for they have learned something new.

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Why does the idea of 'smiling something out' seem funny to me

Evil_Cake
04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
thank you for punching me in the face

Hayashida
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
okay yeah that makes sense now.

ClockHand
04-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't know man, when I lose I get pretty angry (I don't throw shit to my opponents, but I become more agitated) and the more I get the better I play (specially in shooters where I become start becoming a head shot machine).

When I play shooters and I start getting agitated (by losing most of the time) I become more focus (I shoot a lot in the head), aware of sounds and move more quick.
The same for fighting games, I become more focus on the combos, my moves, the moves of my opponent and the other stuffs.

I lose most of the time when I get demoralized.

Ozzaharwood
04-15-2011, 07:41 PM
The majority of the games I play are shooters, and much like Clock said I get better the more mad I get. It seems like after I get mad I just want the other team to get as mad as I am, so I play better... Sometimes though I get mad and still suck and I have to stop playing for a couple minutes. I don't care if I lose in shooters, it's just when I'm playing something like CoD and I'm constantly being noobtubed and spawn killed that gets me mad.

jubeh
04-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Gaining focus when you become angry, I believe, has much more to do with you wanting to win at any cost. If somebody pisses you off, you suddenly have stakes. You don't want to lose to that guy.

Otherwise getting angry at games is completely worthless outside of sports and AVG style review humor. Not to mention the adrenaline crash that follows if you're super pissed.

GunZet
04-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Gaining focus when you become angry, I believe, has much more to do with you wanting to win at any cost. If somebody pisses you off, you suddenly have stakes. You don't want to lose to that guy.

Otherwise getting angry at games is completely worthless outside of sports and AVG style review humor. Not to mention the adrenaline crash that follows if you're super pissed.
That feeling is awesome, makes me actually wanna play the game more.
I remember this one round in Halo where I was kicking turbo ass because we had the best guys...then I got bored and switched teams out of mercy...and still kicked ass. Then I got bored and stopped playing that server.

lol.

Sylux
04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
thank you for punching me in the face

Yeah, but it is, after all, just a game. I simply recall how good I am at life, instead of Call of Duty, and I smile. Being punched in the face is a result of a mistake in life itself. If I can avoid being punched in the face, I must be good at some aspect of life.

Lucy
04-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I hate sore losers. The amount of hate mail on my Xbox live account is ridiculous.

CypressDahlia
04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
XBox Live is quite possibly one of the most horrible online gaming communities to ever exist.

Outcast
04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Yet everyone says it's the best ('least where I live)

I used to get pretty mad when I lost but now I never get mad when I lose, except when people are being cheap asses. LOL explosives

CypressDahlia
04-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes, because a gaming network comprised entirely of 6 year old British kids, assorted douchebags and rage quitters is the best.

Oh, and don't forget the angry English teenagers that log on around the mornings. "Ya bloody yanks!"

Ozzaharwood
04-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Cypress, it's prolly 'cause you live in a different time zone, and area, so it pairs you with the British people because they have better hosting connections. Here we mostly get people who are 16+ in age, and are American.

Fenn
04-16-2011, 08:05 PM
XBox Live is quite possibly one of the most horrible online gaming communities to ever exist.

Do you know why? Because gamers treat every match like the Super Bowl. Random match-up in online games is not a hardcore competition; it's a freaking pick-up game! How often in basketball will people get together to hang out at the park and shoot some hoops, then play 100% and scream about "cheating?"

Randoms in COD, Street Fighter, and other games are exactly like pickup sports games; random teams, low stakes play where everyone's trying to impress everyone else. Yet, for some reason, gamers can't understand this. If you want intense, competitive play, participate in a tourney or join a clan.

The other issue is that with randoms you don't know anyone. Before online, you played with friends, and if they were jerks you quit and kicked them out of your house. Randoms means you never know who you will get matched up with.

jubeh
04-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Oh, and don't forget the angry English teenagers that log on around the mornings. "Ya bloody yanks!"

In their defense whenever I played with lee as soon as he spoke everyone would ask him if he liked tea.

Hayashida
04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
"It's just burnt water" he would say

ClockHand
04-17-2011, 01:32 AM
jajaja there is a guy who all the time see me as his opponent he disconnect himself.

Also I don't get it, the only way people will feel happy to fight against me is if I use ammy, wesker or a infinite combo with tron (because are the most used characters online with Sentinel).

CypressDahlia
04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
...assorted douchebags...

V

In their defense whenever I played with lee as soon as he spoke everyone would ask him if he liked tea.

V

Case in point.

But regardless, Fenn. I think I'd hate it more if people didn't take it seriously. Then there is no intensity in the games. Losing to a spammer in MvC who does so to win is a helluva lot better than losing to a spammer who does so not to win, but simply isn't any better at the game. Either way, I think spammer matches are boring but you get the idea.

Outcast
04-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes, because a gaming network comprised entirely of 6 year old British kids, assorted douchebags and rage quitters is the best.

All those you listed are funny to deal with just don't let them get to you.

Fenn
04-17-2011, 05:05 PM
But regardless, Fenn. I think I'd hate it more if people didn't take it seriously.

Then I suggest you follow the advice in my previous post. Randoms are just that; random. There should not be any specific way people should be expected to play. If you want competitive matches, find others with a similar approach to the game. It isn't hard.

When I want to play competitive sports, I join a team. I don't force everyone I play with on the playground to match my level and complain when they don't.

Wow, this post is aggressive. Sorry, nothing personal.

CypressDahlia
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Just a little condescending considering I've been playing fighting games competitively (and money matches) for years now lol. I'm not just an armchair guru or something.

Anyway, weren't you saying people take it too seriously? And now you're telling me to go play competitively, if I want to play seriously. Except you already said XBox Live was "too serious", so wouldn't it suit me just to keep playing XBox Live? Hmm. I get what you're saying, but you're already suggesting that a large majority of Live players take games too seriously, yet you're talking to me like I'm a minority when that's what I want.

Ozzaharwood
04-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Cypress, there is only one solution. We make a team consisting only of MT members on the games that we are playing and we destroy all of the little British kids.

CypressDahlia
04-19-2011, 01:23 AM
The greatest irony is that the little kids don't get mad when they get beat...so it takes the joy out of beating them. I think gamer rage only kicks in after puberty.

Outcast
04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Can't just play for enjoyment can you?

ClockHand
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Gamer rage is all about dick size.

CypressDahlia
04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I think it's a hormonal thing, TBH. Makes you more competitive. Little kids don't seem bothered when they lose in Halo, Marvel or whatever. At least, not as much as older people. I have yet to receive hate mail from a little kid.

Outcast
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
When I get competitive I get sloppy.

Fenn
04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Just a little condescending considering I've been playing fighting games competitively (and money matches) for years now lol. I'm not just an armchair guru or something.

Anyway, weren't you saying people take it too seriously? And now you're telling me to go play competitively, if I want to play seriously. Except you already said XBox Live was "too serious", so wouldn't it suit me just to keep playing XBox Live? Hmm. I get what you're saying, but you're already suggesting that a large majority of Live players take games too seriously, yet you're talking to me like I'm a minority when that's what I want.

Hm, I seem to be confisuing myself now too...lol...OH! I just re-read the post and now I get what you're saying. Wow, stupid me.

My problem with XBL is that this highly competitive nature is too inflexible. If I'm playing basketball against 5rd graders on the playground, I'm going to go a little easier on them. Now, if I get matched up against 5th graders in a tournament (hypothetically), I'm still going to crush them. Similarly, everyone online (myself included sometimes) has no regard for whether anyone else is enjoying themselves. Hence the bevy of insults, ragequits, etc. It's part of the internet's completely anonymous setting.

People need to get a grip when playing randoms. Randoms, in the end, is for fun, whether it's through highly competitive settings or relaxed competition.

jubeh
04-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Can't just play for enjoyment can you?

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh do you really think being competitive and having fun are mutually exlusive?

Outcast
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
No. but it often seems that way.