PDA

View Full Version : E3 2011

Fenn
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
So, anyone here planning to attend/watch E3? I'll be watching, mainly because I have a weakness for hype/anticipation and will look for any excuse to make a big celebration out of something. It's one more thing on the calendar to look forward to and to discuss here on the beautiful web of information we call the internet.

Of course I'm also a total gamer so it's relevant. I'm mostly a Nintendo guy, so Im interested to see what surprised they have in store, but I own and Xbox too so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Anyone want to make known their hopes and predictions?

Rio
04-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I haven't been keeping up as much with E3 for the past couple of years but I would like to see what games are coming up next or, if any, new consoles and portables.

Fenn
04-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I haven't been keeping up as much with E3 for the past couple of years but I would like to see what games are coming up next or, if any, new consoles and portables.

rumors of a successor to Wii.

Outcast
04-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Oh come the fuck on! I just got a new one. >:[

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Doesn't matter what nintendo does, they are never going to have my trust again.

Rio
04-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Whoa - so they're going to unveil a new Wii this E3? Got any info about it?

LVUER
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Great. My Wii is still brand new and there's already a new successor to Wii -_-

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I bet your Wii is brand new and is already gathering dust in a corner.

LVUER
04-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Yep, you're right. How did you know that?

ClockHand
04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I know science.

Fenn
04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Whoa - so they're going to unveil a new Wii this E3? Got any info about it?

As a matter of fact:
- http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/03/rumor-wii-2-to-debut-at-e3-2011-what-would-it-mean-for-skyward-sword.html
- http://www.3dsbuzz.com/rumor-super-street-fighter-iv-3ds-to-connect-to-nintendos-new-system/

I bet your Wii is brand new and is already gathering dust in a corner.

I generally split 50-50 between Wii 2 and my 360

Regantor
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
It's amazing how well the Wii 1 has done for itself considering the shoddy library of games, really. Even the PS3 has more decent ones, and everybody slags off it's quantity... I mean, don't get me wrong; No More Heroes was fantastic, one of my favorate games of the current generation, but it's a not far off a lone goose... Getting news that they are ditching the system already does nothing to build my confidence in the company.

Is somebody saying Microsoft are the good guys? It's more likely that you think. :p

Anyway. I'm mostly looking forward to more news concerning NMH3, Armored Core 5, Mass Effect 3, and Doom 4... Finding out what the hell happened to that Mechwarrior reboot would be nice, too. >_>

Fenn
06-02-2011, 10:25 PM
It's coming...

Ozzaharwood
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I know, I can't wait D:

Rio
06-04-2011, 10:24 PM
:cat_yahoo:

I wanna see some Zelda!

CypressDahlia
06-05-2011, 12:19 AM
We're moving through consoles too quickly. If you look at the hardware gap between Ps1 and PS2, that was truly a difference worth a generation. Between Ps2 and Ps3 was notable, but hardly worth a 600 dollar brand new console, considering what Shadow of the Colossus managed to do with the PS2 hardware. It almost looks like a Ps3 game. And it's not like games are getting any better, just prettier. Most of the bulk in terms of size goes into graphics, whereas that space could be used to integrate a lot of gameplay features that were not possible to integrate successfully on a less memory-capable system (like how FF7 could've been 1 disc instead of 3, had it come out on the PS2).

Arashi500
06-05-2011, 01:00 AM
I want a release date for paper mario 3D and news on From Dust, REALLY badly.

Scarletlight
06-05-2011, 08:50 AM
We're moving through consoles too quickly. If you look at the hardware gap between Ps1 and PS2, that was truly a difference worth a generation. Between Ps2 and Ps3 was notable, but hardly worth a 600 dollar brand new console, considering what Shadow of the Colossus managed to do with the PS2 hardware. It almost looks like a Ps3 game. And it's not like games are getting any better, just prettier. Most of the bulk in terms of size goes into graphics, whereas that space could be used to integrate a lot of gameplay features that were not possible to integrate successfully on a less memory-capable system (like how FF7 could've been 1 disc instead of 3, had it come out on the PS2).

Indeed I would prefer a lengthy game full of features and gameplay than the short lived pretty looking games alot tern out to be now.

Still looking for something new in the RPG market at E3 ..wander what there will be.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-05-2011, 11:22 AM
The gap thing may be true, but look at the Gap between the N64, the Gamecube, and the Wii. I'm sure Project Cafe will be very interesting and different.

Fenn
06-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Agreed. Too bad most gamers are as bad as sports fans when it comes to self-control. It's the same reason ballparks keep raising food prices despite the economy; no matter what the gamers say, they will still buy whatever comes out.

On a lighter note, I AM excited to see where the new Nintendo console goes, since I feel like the Wii was a waste of potential even though I enjoyed many of the games it offered. I get the impression Nintendo realized they can't continue the casual trend; Wii got the casuals looking, now they will attempt to win back the hardcore crowd.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Hardcore Nintendo fans would never leave Nintendo. It's why they're hardcore fans.

CypressDahlia
06-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Eh, I always thought any game could be hardcore based on how you approached it. Speedruns or challengeruns, or even no-miss runs (mad hardcore) are extremely difficult and, as long as the game allows for it, that game can be hardcore. Like in FFX, it's entirely possible to go through the game without leveling your stats once.

Fenn
06-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Hardcore Nintendo fans would never leave Nintendo. It's why they're hardcore fans.

I usually refer to them as "fanboys." To me, hardcore doesn't apply to a specific company, just to gaming in general. A hardcore gamer not only plays a lot of games but participates in the gaming community and keeps up with the latest news on game releases and development.

But you say tomato, I say...wait, this doesn't work in writing. That's how I define a hardcore gamer.

Eh, I always thought any game could be hardcore based on how you approached it. Speedruns or challengeruns, or even no-miss runs (mad hardcore) are extremely difficult and, as long as the game allows for it, that game can be hardcore. Like in FFX, it's entirely possible to go through the game without leveling your stats once.

I was talking about gamers though, not games.

But you're absolutely right. That explains my terrifying Mario Kart Wii addiction. Game gets competitive online bro!

jubeh
06-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Yeah that was always how I defined hardcore gamers. Dudes that did kick me runs in godhand and stuff like that. I think games should give you more options for letting you make the game harder. Like the single character runs for final fantasy X are cool but it would be even cooler if there were an option in the game that just let you do it.

CypressDahlia
06-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, like being able to reject Wakka and everyone else. And then Tidus is just like "fuck you guys, I'm going on the pilgrimage alone."

jubeh
06-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6OCnvvkSLM#at=238

Evil_Cake
06-05-2011, 09:36 PM
wait were those real

jubeh
06-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah

Fenn
06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6OCnvvkSLM#at=238

They...tried?

wolfman
06-06-2011, 03:23 AM
i really want to see the skyrim preview

weez18
06-06-2011, 03:32 AM
i really want to see the skyrim preview ahhh so agree *high five ((:

CypressDahlia
06-06-2011, 02:16 PM
So apparently they leaked an announcement for Halo 4 at the Press Conference, lol.

Great. But I think I'll wait until Halo 12 before I buy another console.

Rio
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
So apparently they leaked an announcement for Halo 4 at the Press Conference, lol.

Great. But I think I'll wait until Halo 12 before I buy another console.

Good choice. We'll have total in-game immersion by then the way things are moving along.

Matt
06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I've got my eyes on Uncharted 3. The second one was one of the best games I've played, and the preview for the UC3 multiplayer looks like something that would convince me to go and pay for cell phone Internet.

I think I'll get the next Wii, but only after the price drops. With all the stuff they've got rumored just for the controller, I can imagine it'll be fairly expensive.

jubeh
06-07-2011, 04:56 PM
The wii u looks rad as fuck.

WEEOOOOWEEOOOOWEEOOO

ClockHand
06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
The Wii (fuck) U looks good, but there is a big issue and it's the ergology of the control to play with it.

The control at being flat it wouldn't going to fit well in the hand, and so the analog sticks which are in a weird position. Now, the control being a flat as a table is obviously made to fit as a tablet to draw, the deal is, how much of the ergology is sacrificed for gameplay in videogames, and obviously the most important things: videogame titles.

I think Nintendo won in the E3 (surprised?), but I only hope that the Wii U can be a nice console to play siting in the couch, and I want them to show great games (I want them to make me not only want to buy it, but make me feel that I need it [well with the control being a tablet I would buy it, but it will depend on the price).

I loved the Tomb Raider, Mass Effect 3 and Assassin Creed trailers. The Skyrim, I'm in a neutral position at the moment, I know the epic music makes everyone to jeez in their pants, but after playing oblivion I'm very skeptical.

And Xbox 360 was ok with showing tv, youtube and bing for xbox live, but there are 2 issues: most of the xbox live stuffs that are offered on xbox 360 are not for all the countries (specially mine) and I know they are enhancing the community to make the life of the xbox 360 longer, but we how much time they can make the life longer? it would worth with the new Wii U?

For Sony I saw nothing, my computer is really crappy so I had to chose what to see, and obviously I wanted to see about Nintendo and Microsoft.

jubeh
06-07-2011, 05:19 PM
This is where they got the name from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY

Matt
06-07-2011, 08:10 PM
I, for one, love the idea for the Wii U controller. Now I might be able to have that tablet-based drawing game I've always wanted.

jubeh
06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Um aren't there tablet based drawing games on the wii.

Matt
06-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Probably. I don't get to the store much, and I haven't heard of what I think of as "my ideal drawing game" yet. Plus, I don't wanna buy the Wii tablet when a) this is coming out in a year and b) I have a tablet already; I don't want one that's limited to my game console and nothing else.

Wait, does the Wii let you plug in an Intuos tablet at all?

jubeh
06-07-2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLpWA8RMldU

Matt
06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Meh. They can do better than that. Just looked like a Wii port of Drawn To Life on the DS to me.

ClockHand
06-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I though it was cool that the control has a tablet, but then I realize that if the control has no connection to a computer (and the console being as expensive as a good real tablet), then its pointless to aim for the control just for the tablet.

I'm really concerned about the ergology of the control, because I don't have lego hands to play with it.

CypressDahlia
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm hoping to see super-super console version of Scribblenauts.

also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9r6J0b-2BI

ClockHand
06-09-2011, 12:01 AM
I think Prey 2 its going to be my game (with Deus Ex).

This E3 has been good with the scifi games.

neogenstru
06-09-2011, 02:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9hJMxw126A

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/Brett013/homer_simpson_drool.jpg

Matt
06-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Very interesting. I hope it'll be better than Oblivion. Then again, I played that game on the lowest possible graphics settings, and chopping a guy with a sword doesn't really feel the same when he doesn't bleed and falls down in the crappiest excuse for ragdoll of all time. Seriously, it's like there was no force factor at all.

^That said, I loved Oblivion and I'll probably love Skyrim, even if it turns out less than I expected. One thing I really liked in the trailer was the fights with the dragons. They were dynamic and unpredictable and operated like what I perceive a fight with a dragon to be. They crash when you damage them enough, and their animations when hitting the ground look like they're actually hitting the ground. This is one of the only areas in video games, in my opinion, where graphics make a difference: immersion.

CypressDahlia
06-10-2011, 05:22 AM
From what I can tell, people really love RPGs with crappy combat and hundreds of pointless sidequests. I played Morrowind and dropped the Elder Scrolls series forever. Damn you, Toonami, for giving me stale advice.

LVUER
06-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Playstation is going to launch PS Vita (2012) so I think they're not going to release PS3 replacement anytime soon (especially since PS Vita could play same game as PS3). Nintendo already have 3DS (2011) and going to launch WiiU too (2012/2013). Now, why I don't hear anything from Microsoft? XBOX360 is pretty old and will be severely underpowered by 2012. Or I miss the news?

Bacon_Barbarian
06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
XBOX thinks the Kinect is a good enough to not get working on a new Console.

Rio
06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
They're probably going to slap-dash something together by next year and then release in 2013. Or maybe they'll just offer another 360 but with better stats and a different moniker attached to it. :\

ClockHand
06-10-2011, 10:32 AM
XBOX thinks the Kinect is a good enough to not get working on a new Console.

I think you are misunderstanding Microsoft tactic. They are working on the Kinect because obviously needs work (a lot of) and they are trying to extend the use life of the 360. Also Kinect gave a advantage for younger consumers which are the ideal for any company.

What really bother is: If everything they are doing to extend the use life of the 360 (with live) its going to benefice a next gen made by Microsoft, and obviously when this new gen is going to be released. We need to think that most games are made for more than one console, so if they release a new gen later it can be prejudicial to sells, and so if they do that soon.

Microsoft in a mater of marketing is playing safe and defensive, while Nintendo obviously go to his own steps and Sony has no other way than play aggressive (after the down of the psnetwork they have a big lost in trust of their old consumers and have damaged their reputation for new consumers).

If you want to know who is really winning here, is Nintendo. Even if most games aren't focus to us, they win a mater of people buying.

For rpg games.

I'm not interested in Skyrim, but I have my eyes on Kingdom of Alamur: Reckoning (it has a glorious crew).

wolfman
06-10-2011, 12:47 PM
From what I can tell, people really love RPGs with crappy combat and hundreds of pointless sidequests. I played Morrowind and dropped the Elder Scrolls series forever. Damn you, Toonami, for giving me stale advice.
the flaw in this is the fact that morrowind and oblivion are both amazing games o-o

Outcast
06-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Yay opinions.

CypressDahlia
06-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes, you may have liked the games...but how does that address the fact that they have shitty combat and tons of pointless sidequests? o_o Or the fact that many people love games that demonstrate the same flaws (ahemFalloutahem)? For a game where you spend maybe 80% of the time fighting things, beit for plot progression or to complete a sidequest, they really should've made a fighting system that didn't play like Doom '95 in third-person.

Though the style of Kingdom Hearts may not be for everyone, I'd say it's a model for Action-RPGs as far as the combat. Most of the time spent in that game is invested in combat and I enjoyed every second of it. Story lost me by the end of the second game, and characters are growing into stale cookie-cutter personas, but the combat is just so engaging. And the sidequests are all important somehow, despite there not being 400 of them. I can settle for a handful of worthwhile sidequests as opposed to 400 inconsequential tasks...

Outcast
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Yay opinions.

Ahem.

KH is grand although I did skip most of the cutscenes.

wolfman
06-11-2011, 04:32 AM
i dont see why people hate the combat in oblivion so much, i can understand it a bit in morrowind because it is stupidly frustrating flailing a sword at something in front of you and missing constantly if your skill isnt high enough but in oblivion its fine

Delphinus
06-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Combat in Oblivion is fine but the levelling system is shitty.

CypressDahlia
06-11-2011, 09:57 AM
People hate the combat in oblivion because it isn't combat.

It's a graphical representation of math and die-rolling disguised as combat. Any actual "combat" aspects to it are badly integrated, plagued by stiff and sluggish movement and repetitive. And what's worse is that there is no evidence of the fact that your character actually gets //better// at fighting. He just hits harder and tanks more shots.

Combat in any game that dares to call itself real-time or action-oriented should be more than just a representation of combat. It should also give the player the experience of fighting. TSE simply doesn't.

neogenstru
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Very interesting. I hope it'll be better than Oblivion. Then again, I played that game on the lowest possible graphics settings, and chopping a guy with a sword doesn't really feel the same when he doesn't bleed and falls down in the crappiest excuse for ragdoll of all time. Seriously, it's like there was no force factor at all.

^That said, I loved Oblivion and I'll probably love Skyrim, even if it turns out less than I expected. One thing I really liked in the trailer was the fights with the dragons. They were dynamic and unpredictable and operated like what I perceive a fight with a dragon to be. They crash when you damage them enough, and their animations when hitting the ground look like they're actually hitting the ground. This is one of the only areas in video games, in my opinion, where graphics make a difference: immersion.

Considering this game is still in development something tells me it'll blow Oblivion clear outta the water, the coolest part is probably the ability to learn dragon spells I always wanted to speak dragonese >: D

ClockHand
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
the flaw in this is the fact that morrowind and oblivion are both amazing games o-o
You are wrong, Morrowind was awful if gameplay and Oblivion was awful in everything. So unless you are being sarcastic or ironic, you are wrong.

Yes, you may have liked the games...but how does that address the fact that they have shitty combat and tons of pointless sidequests? o_o Or the fact that many people love games that demonstrate the same flaws (ahemFalloutahem)? For a game where you spend maybe 80% of the time fighting things, beit for plot progression or to complete a sidequest, they really should've made a fighting system that didn't play like Doom '95 in third-person.
The sidequests are made to gave a context to the world beyond the story driven by the goals of the main character. I personally don't like how they have done them, because the character personality must drive to the sidequest but not the elections of the player. This is because making a game with sidequest which doesn't reflect the main character and the context of the world become pointless to the main story. At the end: sidequests are good, but the intention has been bad (not all, but most).

i dont see why people hate the combat in oblivion so much, i can understand it a bit in morrowind because it is stupidly frustrating flailing a sword at something in front of you and missing constantly if your skill isnt high enough but in oblivion its fine
I don't know why everyone hate the combat in Oblivion but I personally didn't like it because I like to play in third person (I usually fight as a warrior) and it the character was stiff, you never knew what you hit (some times you hit your allies without knowing), and using a spell was a waste of mana.

Considering this game is still in development something tells me it'll blow Oblivion clear outta the water, the coolest part is probably the ability to learn dragon spells I always wanted to speak dragonese >: D
Anything is better than Oblivion. And they need to do more than just put dragons in a game to make me want to play it.

And for other comments:
-Indeed the leveling system was the biggest shit ever.
-It was impossible to play in third person camera in Oblivion.
-The world was awfully done: Teleportation to any part of the world whenever you want, force the small world to have a ecosystem of every kind and repetitive dungeons.
-Oblivion also has awful game play, just use sneak and you will see.

CypressDahlia
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Goes to show: you can't make a game out of sidequests and "immersion".

jubeh
06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
If you really believe that you obviously haven't played stalker

CypressDahlia
06-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I probably don't want to, if that's how you would describe it.

When I buy a game, I also pay for a story that's longer than 10 hours.

jubeh
06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Played that game for 2 days and was mumbling russian and and grown a full beard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/RenfroCalhoun/stalkervidya.jpg

CypressDahlia
06-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I guess it works if you value immersion utmost.

jubeh
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Well imo it works because unlike oblivion you dont have to work towards the immersion. The game does all the work.

ClockHand
06-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Well imo it works because unlike oblivion you dont have to work towards the immersion. The game does all the work.

Important point for every game.

CypressDahlia
06-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Ah, that sounds good. Though I'm not sure if I can get into a game that expects me to spend the majority of time "immersing" myself, when that really amounts to nothing. I'm a speedy fucker when it comes to RPG and RPG-hybrids. How's the general gameplay in STALKER?

jubeh
06-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Its an fps with a few rpg elements like inventory management and artifacts you can "equip" for bonuses. Otherwise its a sandbox shooter that sort of feeds off the stress you get from exploring just how insane the world is.

CypressDahlia
06-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Is it as good as Borderlands? And yes, i'm going to use Borderlands as a standard for modern FPS-RPG hybrids because it almost did everything right. I would use System Shock, but I think that's a little more on the hardcore side (given the majority of complaints against SS2 are directed at intentional features that made the game "too hard").

jubeh
06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
They are nothing alike. Like the rpg elements in stalker don't extend to any sort of stats aside from how much damage or radiation you take. You don't learn skills or anything like that.

wolfman
06-12-2011, 03:58 AM
i love stalker, its really hard XD you cant just run in to a town and gun everyone down with a pistol without dying,

Bacon_Barbarian
06-12-2011, 10:11 PM
If you want to know who is really winning here, is Nintendo. Even if most games aren't focus to us, they win a mater of people buying.

Oh, of course. /late

neogenstru
06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Not sure if this was at E3, but WTF 0_o!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2FTMCIgnuw&feature=feedu

CypressDahlia
06-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Looks like Saw 5 the game.