PDA

View Full Version : Forum: Keep or Change?!

Rio
12-04-2010, 09:35 PM
As the title says, do you want to keep the current forum or change it?

I've been getting a lot of feedback from members about this current forum and most of the comments were of dissatisfaction. I think that's because we went from, shall we say, a Bentley to a Kia. Anyways, let me know what's on your mind.

I'll give ya guys a week to let me know what's on your mind before I make a decision for a change or not. Be aware that if we do have a forum change, I will be closing down the other forum.

Hayashida
12-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Do you have an example of what the changed forum would be like?

Rio
12-04-2010, 10:08 PM
The new forum will be using vbulletin. I've linked to the features list but it should include everything that phpbb does plus have the new stuff like video embedding.

Hayashida
12-04-2010, 10:13 PM
That looks pretty good.

Ozzaharwood
12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I like this site but that Vbulletin looks p. amazing

Rubisko
12-06-2010, 04:09 AM
But the rest of the site will stay as it is now? It's only the forum that would change?

jubeh
12-06-2010, 04:19 AM
I don't like this forum as is so I think any change is good at this point. Those screens were p good. Looks like you can embed video.

Alexander_Hamilton
12-06-2010, 04:40 AM
Wait wait wait...so if you change this forum the old one will be deleted?

Psy
12-06-2010, 06:07 AM
From what ive seen it looks like it would be best to go with vbulletin. I miss being able to preview a post and click on a page number of a thread before going into the actual thread.

Question! Will this change effect any of the planed things that you had for the premium membership users that youve mentioned once or twice before? Will it effect premium membership in anyway?

Rio
12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
But the rest of the site will stay as it is now? It's only the forum that would change?

Yes, only the forum will change to a more robust one. Every other part of the site will remain as is.

Wait wait wait...so if you change this forum the old one will be deleted?
The old one will NOT be deleted. It will be closed down so that no one can post in there anymore. You will still be able to view the threads for archival purposes btw much like the <a href="http://www.mangatutorials.net/bb">old old forum here</a>.

Question! Will this change effect any of the planed things that you had for the premium membership users that youve mentioned once or twice before? Will it effect premium membership in anyway?

No, it will not affect premium membership in any way.

Alexander_Hamilton
12-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Okay. That&#039;s a relief.

If you do change this forum and shut down the old one, btw, I&#039;d like to continue being a mod on the new forum. (Before I was mostly concerned that I would have to split my attention between the two forums, but if the old one is shut down that won&#039;t be a factor anymore.)

Kodos
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
B-but my old forum :(
http://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/negativeman-55f.png

Ozzaharwood
12-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I wonder if Jubeh will want that too...

If he does he can have his place back. ;]

jubeh
12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I would like to retain modship if there is only one forum.

Ozzaharwood
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh well it was fun while it lasted. (Sorta... lol)

ezenith
12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Holy crap, if you&#039;re going to be changing to a vBulletin I&#039;m all for it. It&#039;s definitely a step up from the phpBB software, with a lot of different and useful features.

nextweek
12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I&#039;ve gotten used to moving now...so w/e

Red
12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Eh, I&#039;m not too used to the new site.

But it does indeed have many features, but being new to it, I slightly have some navigation issues and people get frustrated with the most newbish questions.

Tbh, I feel like I&#039;m back at square one. :/

Aether
12-07-2010, 12:31 AM
If that retarded Ozza kid retains modship and Jubeh and Hammie lose theirs, I will lose faith in this site. Jubeh is funny as a mod.

Also, if you said that this move is like going from a Bentley to a Kia, why degrade the forum? The old one did fine, we could post polls without paying. Polls were funny sometimes.

Besides, with the demographic of this forum, how many memberships do you expect to get? Everyone is either still in high school without a job, or in college/university with no money to spare, or a cheap skate, like myself.

Also premium membership should make you immune to AIDS.

goggy
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
My family&#039;s car is a kia. :(

I&#039;m up for a change, though.

Ozzaharwood
12-07-2010, 09:05 PM
If that retarded Ozza kid retains modship and Jubeh and Hammie lose theirs, I will lose faith in this site. Jubeh is funny as a mod.

Also, if you said that this move is like going from a Bentley to a Kia, why degrade the forum? The old one did fine, we could post polls without paying. Polls were funny sometimes.

Besides, with the demographic of this forum, how many memberships do you expect to get? Everyone is either still in high school without a job, or in college/university with no money to spare, or a cheap skate, like myself.

You know you can just say you don&#039;t like me and not insult me, right?

Rio
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Wut? What makes you think I&#039;ll not grant modship to Jubeh or Hammie here as well? The only reason they&#039;re not mods here right now is because Jubeh declined stating that he wanted to stick to the other forum and Hammie was still thinking it over.

The problem with the old site and forum is that it&#039;s separate. As much as possible, I would like to keep the community together with one log in for all areas as much as possible. Yes, polls are funny sometimes. The rest of the time, they&#039;re not. Including the one&#039;s I&#039;ve been making.

Regarding membership - I have never expected to make money out of it at all. I know the demographic and it is as you say. My aim with the site change was actually to get lots of free members on board and entice lurkers and old members to sign up which, so far, seems to be working.

I&#039;ll make you immune to AIDS without premium membership - but I don&#039;t think you&#039;ll like what needs to be done.

Kodos
12-08-2010, 11:43 PM
If you end up closing the old forum - and I hope you don&#039;t - will the word filter be disabled? A lot of DnD - and I&#039;m sure other people&#039;s writings - will become unreadable nonsense when nearly every other word is reduced to "Silly Goose" and if we can&#039;t log in to the forum then there&#039;s no way we can simply disable it.

Aether
12-09-2010, 06:47 AM
You know you can just say you don&#039;t like me and not insult me, right?

Um, I don&#039;t even think I have to say it. But if you&#039;re going to be a prissy little bitch about it, then sure.
Don&#039;t like you, mate. Big deal, you&#039;ll live. Still going to insult you, though.

Wut? What makes you think I&#039;ll not grant modship to Jubeh or Hammie here as well?
Oh, no no. I was just saying. It would still be funny as hell, though.

The problem with the old site and forum is that it&#039;s separate. As much as possible, I would like to keep the community together with one log in for all areas as much as possible.
Okay, yeah, fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, polls are funny sometimes. The rest of the time, they&#039;re not. Including the one&#039;s I&#039;ve been making.
That&#039;s because so many people aren&#039;t funny.

Regarding membership - I have never expected to make money out of it at all. I know the demographic and it is as you say. My aim with the site change was actually to get lots of free members on board and entice lurkers and old members to sign up which, so far, seems to be working.
Yeah, fair enough. Twas just a suspicion.

I&#039;ll make you immune to AIDS without premium membership - but I don&#039;t think you&#039;ll like what needs to be done.
Does it involve sex?

Celestial-Fox
12-10-2010, 08:57 PM
OHCRAP, NOOOOO.

I accidentally voted "keep"

D8 I&#039;d actually love to change to vBulletin.

Blue_Dragon
12-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I voted "keep," not cause I&#039;m against this forum changing...but I&#039;m just concerned with some of the writers over on the other forum. I know what it&#039;s like to lose a lot of hard work, and it&#039;s really not possible to remember everything you&#039;ve written to do it over, once it&#039;s lost. So I guess my vote is just whatever&#039;s best for both communities.

As for me, I don&#039;t really care if this one upgrades to vBulletin or not...I don&#039;t know what it is, but I&#039;ll learn quick enough. It&#039;s always good to learn new things.

zizi
12-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Nononono don&#039;t disable the old forum D:! I keep forgetting this one exists!

:(

Rio
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
If you end up closing the old forum - and I hope you don&#039;t - will the word filter be disabled? A lot of DnD - and I&#039;m sure other people&#039;s writings - will become unreadable nonsense when nearly every other word is reduced to "Silly Goose" and if we can&#039;t log in to the forum then there&#039;s no way we can simply disable it.

I&#039;ll disable the word filter once I close it down. It&#039;s fair as you all did so much hard work.

Does it involve sex?

Nah. Dismemberment.

Sunny
12-30-2010, 11:22 PM
IT CHANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED. But, I'm okay with that.

Rio
12-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, it changed again. Hopefully everyone will be happy with this version. Personally, I'm glad to see the "View First Unread Message" again! It just makes things sooooo much easier!

Sunny
12-31-2010, 11:33 PM
AHAHA, I know what you mean. O_O

Blue_Dragon
01-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I like this newer new one. :) It has a comfortable feel and is similar to the old one (not that I didn't like the new one, the forum page just took a while to upload.)

Looks good!