PDA

View Full Version : Hi, My Name is Mary Sue

Slurpee
03-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Take this test to see if your character is a Mary Sue. Very very helpful for me, made me realize some things to make my characters more believable!:cat_shy:

http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

jaidurn
03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
My main character is only 13. o-o
I am pleased.

Evil_Cake
03-20-2011, 07:48 PM
these tests r so cliche

Umber_the_kid
03-21-2011, 05:17 AM
My character Laurie got a 14 *fist pump*

Ozzaharwood
03-21-2011, 05:33 AM
I love this thing -bookmarked-

Slurpee
03-21-2011, 06:11 AM
these tests r so cliche

yeah but thats what makes it fun, lol

Bardic-Dragoon
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
relevant link (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/589)

Sekator
03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think anybody here would know an answer for this but... should I answer "yes" to questions for which answers are justified?

For example, there's a question "Does your character have natural hair color that stands out from the norm?". My character has indeed unnatural hair color, but it's due to an accident (flashbacked in the story) which permanently changed his hair color into something out of common. Should I tick this one or not?

Psy
03-23-2011, 04:56 AM
the question is "Does your character have hair color that stands out from the norm" your answer is "Yes" your character has hair color that stands out from the norm. The backstory is not important and changes nothing about the question what so ever.

Magnitude-Ten
03-23-2011, 08:28 PM
I tested a key character of mine with it, and got a 17...pretty good...

angel_dreamer13
03-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I got -11 on one of these once. not this one.
hmmm.
Kirel got a 15...pretty good. :)

Slurpee
03-25-2011, 08:45 PM
I usually hit a 15. :D

Kodos
03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
The problem with these tests is that they ignore context. There is no trait or traits that make a Sue a Sue. It's all about presentation and portrayal. If I had to boil it down to a simple maxim, I'd say it's "Is your character a character or a collection of impressive traits?"

To illustrate this, I ran Therion, from my D&D meta-campaign, through it. He got a 92. This is a character that most of the players have said they love and that some have said is their favorite villain in anything, ever. I'm willing to bet money that if I bothered to run Paul Atreides through this, he'd come up similarly high.

CypressDahlia
03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't think whether people like the character or not is relevant, TBH. Most characters who rank high in "favorites" polls are usually cookie-cutter. I guess it's just because they're the easiest to adapt to.

Kira Yamato from SEED was number 1 male character in Japanese polls for four consecutive seasons, I think, but he was just a mashup of different traits from Heero Yuy and Qatre from Wing. I don't know a thing about Therion, so I won't say anything about him in particular. But eh, favorites aren't always free of design flaws.

Alexander_Hamilton
03-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I think that this test could be better, though it might be a good starting point for people who have little idea what they are doing.

I mean, the names section. Why would naming a character something you would name your child make your character more of a Sue? It doesn't mean your character is your baby, necessarily; it may just mean you really like the name. And name meanings...LOTS of people like to give their characters names that have some meaning for the character. That's Sueish?

Does your character have the ability to shapeshift? Well, what if the entire story is filled with shapeshifters, and shapeshifting drives the plot?

I tried to make a Sue test once. Maybe I can dig it up.

Evil_Cake
03-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I tried to make a Sue test once. Maybe I can dig it up. go get ur shovel

Arashi500
03-31-2011, 11:01 PM
My problem with tests like these are that they sort of drive into you that any sort of idealism, or desirability out of a character is wrong, especially about the political views question, as people write what they know, and I'm not going to focus a story with political undertones about a theology or ideology I don't fully understand. Same thing with the taste in music question.

The context for many questions is also questionable, but this is explained and at least partially adressed by this particular quiz.

Matt
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Like Arashi said, the makers of this quiz actually did mention the application of contest. I tested Akiria from Angel Hunters and got a 17 based on the world's context, 39 without considering context. I like to take these quizzes to see where I land, but I don't exactly lose sleep at night because of the results.