PDA

View Full Version : Classic Literature

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
03-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Recently, due to lack of funds, I have had to move out of living with my girlfriend and into a cosy little bedsit where I have little to do but drink cheap booze with my mates and study for my modern language degree. Now, having no money sucks as I'm sure we can all agree, but luckily for me the good people of Oxford have published an editorial of classic world literature which has kept me from going insane since I got back from volunteering in Asia, which is something I advise all of you do before you die. You won't regret it.

The Illiad, The Odessey, The Communist Manifesto, Capital, The Age Of Reason, The Motorcycle Diaries, Frankenstein (re read since school) to name only some, have made me so grateful that the pretencious assholes in Oxford care so much about the peoples percuit of knowledge that they are willing to sell these books and others like it for next to nothing so someone with fuck all cash can read important literature that is worth reading.

Anyway, a thread entitled Classic Literature should discuss just that. Gimme your best books!

Blue_Dragon
03-12-2011, 12:43 AM
I absolutely fell in love with The Idiot when I read it last year. I mean, this book was really moving, and made me cry several times.

I also really liked Dracula (it was different, the way it was written,) and Frankenstein was good, too.

I have read some "girly" lit, too. I really liked Sense and Sensibility, though this is not my favorite type of classic (too much romance a lot of times.)

Once I'm done with The Worm Ouroboras, I intend to maybe tackle Crime and Punishment. What I've started of it is pretty good so far.

ClockHand
03-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Le Petit Principe is my favorite, also of course Don Quijo de la Mancha, and I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes (books). Also the Aleph was a cool book.

Blue_Dragon
03-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Oooo..."I am he, Don Quixote, the Lord of La Mancha!" You ever see that, with Sophia Loren? Peter O'Toole? Anywho, that's a good book to tackle...I should add that to my list, also. I hear it's very long, but very good.

ClockHand
03-12-2011, 01:24 AM
yeah is kinda long, but I don't know, it was entertainment all the time, so I didn't feel to long.

And yeah I saw the opera version and I love it.

Ante tí, mundo ruin,
miserable y falas.
Maldición de los hombres de bien.
Llega hoy un hídalgo a retarte
capas de morir por su honor o vencer!!

Yo soy yo, Don Quijote
señor de la mancha
me llama el destino a luchar!!

Que los vientos con furia
empujen mis pasos
halla donde quiera el azar.

Donde me lleve el azar
hacia la gloria final!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDWjKSu0ugo

Delphinus
03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
@Clockhand: Have you heard the broadway musical? I like Linda Eder's cover of the theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWP7l0OTXJI

Rio
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Voltaire's Candide was one required reading book from AP English that I remember to this day. (Ok, I may not remember all the details but the ending was something that stuck with me by the end of it all)

@ Blue_Dragon
I personally prefer Pride & Prejudice* over Sense & Sensibility.

* There's actually a game (http://www.matchesandmatrimony.com/) based on the book now. You can pretty much end up with anyone too. O_O

Delphinus
03-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Candide was an excellent book; I read it last month.

My favourite classic has to be The Master and Margarita. It's a perfect mixture of a good story, symbolism, and memorable characters and situations: basically, everything a novel should be. The plot synopsis sounds so simple as to be trite ("The Devil arrives in communist Russia and wreaks havoc: at the same time an asylum-bound novelist is reunited with his former wife."), but this is both the charm and the genius of the book - it has a simple plot, with complexities that vary from questioning the nature of good and evil to a social critique of Stalin's Russia to a satire of the crucifixion.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Just finishing of the Odessey and I'm gonna make a start on The Age Og Reason later this week. Anyone read any Tom Paine?

Blue_Dragon
03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I read Common Sense a long time ago, but I don't remember a lot of it (should probably go back and re-read it.)

@Rio:

I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, but I might take it up since it's been suggested a few times by different people :) That game looks interesting :P

GunZet
03-17-2011, 11:22 AM
The Crucible counts even thought it's a play. Right? Because that book was pretty wicked. One of my fave bands spawned from that (Abigail Williams).

Also.
A Raisin In The Sun. Loved that.

Blue_Dragon
03-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Oh my God! Did you see the movie with *ggggrrrrrllllll* (cat call) Sydney Portie? It's so good!

I think plays count as classic literature: ie: Shakespeare, some Wilde, Miller.

Speaking of good Wilde, if you get a chance, you should check out The Picture of Dorian Grey. It's really awesome. I love the transformation of the main character, and I have to say the artists is my personal favorite. It's Wilde, so it's kinda dark comedy at times, but just really good.

What's the Crucible about? I haven't read it or looked into it much.

GunZet
03-17-2011, 12:04 PM
The Crucible if I remember is about the Salem witch trials.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

Puck
03-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Recently I read 'The Great Gatsby'. It's really a wonderful book and Gatsby is an utterly tragic character. I only have one problem with it and that is that Fitzgerald's writing style doesn't really appeal to me because it's far too simple.

Delphinus
03-17-2011, 05:56 PM
^ Gatsby was a pretty cool book, you're right. I didn't mind Fitz's writing style that much, though; it was a welcome change from the other books of the era, which seem to go on for ages about trivialities.

Hamachi
03-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Haha, so true. Book ended with a bang; that's for sure.

Les Miserables would've been my favorite had the author not rambled. I think he dedicated several chapters to the Napoleonic war and an entire one to the Parisian sewers when they barely entered the plot. Typically French writing, hah. Annd I'll admit I liked Pride and Prejudice.

Also.
A Raisin In The Sun. Loved that.

Heh, wish I could produce the play and add a surprise ending. Wouldn't it be awesome if Bobo came in during the final scene after everyone left?

For example:
[Cast leaves stage. Curtains close.]

[Curtains open.]

Bobo: Ugh. Blew a hole in my tires and took forever to get back here. Lemme tell you Waltuh, it was...

[Bobo pauses to look around at the empty stage]

Bobo: Hello?

[Curtains close]

Evil_Cake
03-26-2011, 03:05 PM
don quixote is my favorite

Hamachi
03-26-2011, 03:20 PM
I think I read half of that. In English, of course.

Evil_Cake
03-26-2011, 03:41 PM
part 2 is the best