PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3 aka CoD killer

GunZet
03-05-2011, 02:07 AM
It's finally shown its face. Sword and shield in hand, ready to take out that dollar and coin encrusted dragon that is the Call of Duty franchise.
Battlefield 3 will succeed where Medal of Honor failed, its mangled corpse still lying on gamestore shelves...rotting.

Apparently it's making great use of the CryEngine 3. I really hope it lives up to Battlefield 2, AND MORE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA378g_gD1I

Nyarlathotep
03-05-2011, 02:13 AM
CryEngine 3? I thought they were using Frostbite, their own thing... the CryEngine shots I've seen look great, but I think Crytek generally doesn't license it out...

Regardless, it looks really good. The squad combat looks great, but I'd like to see some vehicle combat, because that's really what separates the BF series from Call Of Duty.

GunZet
03-05-2011, 04:00 AM
I dunno...just heard something about it using CryEngine or something *shrugs*

Edit* Correction, it IS using Frostbite still.

But apparently there will be vehicle combat like hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwtuON9oHQ&feature=player_embedded#at=179

Lucifer
03-05-2011, 06:32 AM
CryEngine 3? I thought they were using Frostbite, their own thing... the CryEngine shots I've seen look great, but I think Crytek generally doesn't license it out...

It actually does, go check crytek.com or mycryengine.com, but still it's a whole lot more logical for DICE to use their own engine (which is very awesome) for their products. Also knowing DICE, i'm betting there'll be vehicles for us to drive and shoot :)

LVUER
03-05-2011, 11:15 PM
One of the Battlefield charm is to let us hop into any vehicles we find (jeeps, tanks, or even chopper or jets). It's also one of my main reason to play Battlefield (oh, and that destructible environment). I'm pretty sure BF3 still have vehicles.

Evil_Cake
03-05-2011, 11:37 PM
its fun to shoot ur teammate that is trying to take the vehicle you want

LVUER
03-06-2011, 12:01 AM
How could you do that to your own brother in arms, dude...

jubeh
03-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Its the spirit of battlefield.

Ozzaharwood
03-06-2011, 02:37 AM
That looks almost exactly like "Ghost Recon: Future Soldier" it's crazy.

Evil_Cake
03-06-2011, 02:58 AM
all i know is that in battlefield 1942 half my team would be dead at the start and the other half would be driving around in tanks

GunZet
03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
And that's why BattleField 2142 is so epic. Plenty of vehicles, I mean...every fking where.

Nyarlathotep
03-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Speaking of epic and Battlefield, recently Project Reality has been stress-testing 128-player servers (BF2 originally only supported 64). Pretty cool.

GunZet
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
The most important thing about this BF is that they're focusing more on PC players. This makes me happy.

LVUER
03-07-2011, 05:45 AM
I read an article on gamespot. According to the article, Battlefield 3 is made using DICE's engine, Frostbite 2. It's far more advanced than Frostbite 1, now the entire multistory building could collapse and destroyed entirely. Frostbite 2 also feature an advance lightning effects.

Battlefield 3 also use EA engines (that used to make FIFA games) to model and animate humans objects so it looks and animates more realistic.

Lucifer
03-08-2011, 08:14 AM
As pointed out by our friends over at Wolfire Games: http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/03/GDC-session-summary-Battlefield-3-Radiosity#disqus_thread

Thats some nice technology :)

Also, iirc BC2 uses the FrostBite 2 engine as well. I hope they cut down the bloom a bit though... It made sniping in BC2 more than the bitch it already was due to sniping spawn campers.

Speaking of sniping, I really need to get a new mouse. Sniping is a tad difficult when your crosshair jumps over the target due to emulated high sensitivity.

Ozzaharwood
03-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Can't wait for BFBC3.

Arashi500
04-03-2011, 01:47 AM
As pointed out by our friends over at Wolfire Games: http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/03/GDC-session-summary-Battlefield-3-Radiosity#disqus_thread

Thats some nice technology :)

Also, iirc BC2 uses the FrostBite 2 engine as well. I hope they cut down the bloom a bit though... It made sniping in BC2 more than the bitch it already was due to sniping spawn campers.

Speaking of sniping, I really need to get a new mouse. Sniping is a tad difficult when your crosshair jumps over the target due to emulated high sensitivity.

Makes me thankful for my mouse which has sensitivity adjustment buttons.