PDA

View Full Version : Avazil's "artwork" Emphasis on work more than art.

avazil
02-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Okay, so I've been drawing for about two months now. This is about as good as I can get at the moment. It's messy and things bled through from the other side of the page, I know. There's A LOT of room for improvement. Be brutal, but constructive. I want to know what I need to work on and what I'm doing right.

Oh yeah, I was going to draw legs, but I gave up on the pictures before I got that far. The second image at the bottom; she's supposed to have legs, but it was cut off during the scanning. I don't think it really matters that much, though.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee456/avazil/Kconcepts2.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee456/avazil/Kconcepts.jpg

Reset
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I think you need to draw that sword hilt not too short, its kinda bit hard to use by your character if it too short.

Celestial-Fox
02-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Don't ever knock yourself down by refusing that all your hard work isn't art! You're not bad like you made yourself sound. Your lines look pretty clean, and you draw hands fairly well (better than me at least, hahaha). My only suggestion right now is too keep working on anatomy and try to draw the other eye instead of covering it up all the time! I know it's hard (I went through that stage, too), but trust me, it's a good skill to have. :)

avazil
02-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks! I put myself down a lot. Bad habit.

I do draw the other eye, but I erase it because this is how I want my character to look. ^_^

dikka
02-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Even covered with the hair, there should be a small part of it visible, like.. Try sketching it first, then draw the hair above and see what is left visible. And, you know, I aint the first to tell ya and probably wont be the last one but... some anatomy practice. Like, learn the proportions, try following them. Use basic shapes for sketching the body and then draw the clothes and facial stuff above them, this helps understand the body and get the proportions right before covering it. For example your arms look pretty long, your eyes should be like lower I believe.. The head itself seems a bit flattened. And legs are important :P
Keep showing your work, crits sure help for stuff, they're what basically made me draw and read tuts more :D

avazil
02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah, all of my anatomy is self taught through observation and trial and error. Tutorials never really helped me that much. Even watching videos doesn't really help. Tutorials only show a certain method that you have to reproduce. Assimilating it into my style never turns out well. >.<

Fenn
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah, all of my anatomy is self taught through observation and trial and error. Tutorials never really helped me that much. Even watching videos doesn't really help. Tutorials only show a certain method that you have to reproduce. Assimilating it into my style never turns out well. >.<

This will sound creepy but people watching really helps when guides fail you. If not in public, then watch tv or read a magazine and try to focus on muscles and muscle groups above all. There are also general "rules of thumb" around this site for keeping things in proportion; they aren't set in stone but they are helpful starting points. Even looking at yourself in a mirror can help.

Let me say you are in a great position to improve. You already have nice artwork and I can tell you are starting to pick up on advanced stuff.