PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite art medium?

Hamachi
02-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Put simply, what have you used and what do you like to use the most?

I've mostly done pencils, a few days' worth of inking, and virtually no experience in painting. I don't like sculpting because I think it's too messy. For the moment, I'm in huge favor of mechanical pencils since they keep that super crisp edge. What about you guys?

angel_dreamer13
02-19-2011, 10:09 PM
EVERYTHING
I've used pencils, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, crayons, oil pastels, oil paint, watercolor paint, acrylic paint, ink, colored ink, copic markers, and clay for sculpting. and I love them all. :o
I've used ketchup before too but I try not to think about that >_>

pajamajam
02-19-2011, 10:20 PM
My favorite used to be watercolors, but I've gotten so used to drawing digitally and using the undo button and layers for everything that I've forgotten how to use normal media.

Hamachi
02-19-2011, 10:41 PM
If I knew how to do watercolors I'd like them the most, haha, but I'm absolutely terrible at them. I always use too much or too little water, and when it dries everything's a different hue than what I wanted it to be... and I never take the time to figure out CG. D:

LVUER
02-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Digital. With tablet, photoshop, and some other softwares...

Evil_Cake
02-20-2011, 12:34 AM
my favorite is pencil even tho I hate the smudging

butternut
02-20-2011, 01:46 AM
If I knew how to do watercolors I'd like them the most, haha, but I'm absolutely terrible at them. I always use too much or too little water, and when it dries everything's a different hue than what I wanted it to be...

Same here! But I like CG because of the convenience of layers, undo, and all that. I've used crayons, water color pencils, pencils and oil pastels, but I like working with pencils the most..

indescribable
02-20-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm inept at using just about everything, but when it comes to digital, I prefer plain old drawing and painting programs. As for traditional mediums, I'd say graphite and watercolour are my fortes.

Son44
02-20-2011, 03:44 AM
I like water colouring, but I suck at it... I also like pencils, pastels and ofcours digital art

GunZet
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
A piece of printer paper, a white eraser, and a lead pencil using .7 lead.

But that was before I discovered the magic of a tablet.

Hamachi
02-20-2011, 01:00 PM
*Goes to ebay and starts bidding*

Arrgh, you've successfully convinced me to start burning away my munnies...

Reset
02-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I like to use Drawing Pen for finishing, sometimes I use rapido. Mechanic pencil for image foundation. I used to use 0.1, 0.3, and 0.5 thickness. For coloring i use color pencil, but since i got some color blind I often pick wrong color and realize after finished coloring, so I feel confident using CG using photoshop or corel than manual Coloring. For paper I used to use plain A3 paper not drawing paper.

Hamachi
02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Corel, though it costs hundreds of friggin' $$$.
Wonder how many people actually buy the product instead of using a w0b h0st0ng site or a tor0000.
Yarr!!

Celestial-Fox
02-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I like Photoshop the best. DX

As for traditional media, ennnh... I like doing stuff in pencil (colored, graphite, charcoal, etc) because it's easiest to shade with, and shading is my favorite part. As far as painting goes, I like impasto acrylic a lot. :D I got impasto paste and a palette knife yesterday and I want to use it really bad. *art nerd*

Hamachi
02-20-2011, 04:35 PM
You know, I read a translated book by Da Vinci, who said that serious artists will spend lots of attention on shading. You "pass the test," heheh...

For those of you guys who like to do digital media, it would also be great to specify what software you use like Seefy. =3

Celestial-Fox
02-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I think because I like to shade a lot, that's the reason why I end up erasing a lot of my lineart when I DO happen to use it. >.>

To be more specific, also, I like Photoshop 7.0 the best. It's super lightweight and fast. The only upgrade I'd like that newer versions have is the smooth zooming and rotation. I also got a new Intuous 4 tablet a couple months ago to replace my Graphire 4. It took a really long time to get used to the texture on the tablet, but now I like it a lot. The extra command buttons are really, really nice.

Reset
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
If you say "though it costs hundreds of friggin' $$$" I say nah. Cuz I just using it in Front-lite design company where I work.Hehehe I try lot of kind of program you know. This Program has the best tracing program that i've ever use.

To be more specific, also, I like Photoshop 7.0 the best. It's super lightweight and fast.

Try CS 5 64bit version and 7.0 look like a knife from stone age.

Celestial-Fox
02-20-2011, 08:01 PM
I have. I still didn't like it all too much.

angel_dreamer13
02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
I like digital media but the only software I've ever used (and I know this is pathetic) is on the oekaki board here. DX
I'm going to get Photoshop next year though.
also, seefy, I have an intous 4 too! :D *highfive*

Reset
02-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I have. I still didn't like it all too much.
You really like fast stuff!!!

Celestial-Fox
02-20-2011, 08:25 PM
That, and the interface of CS5 has all this unnecessary stuff that I don't even use.

PWhit
02-20-2011, 10:06 PM
graphite and photoshop are mine, but can't use photoshop nearly enough. :(

Sparky-J
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Digital and ink.

Reset
02-21-2011, 02:16 AM
That, and the interface of CS5 has all this unnecessary stuff that I don't even use.

Yup its use by photographer and 3D artist.

Delphinus
02-21-2011, 09:31 AM

Surely you can customise the interface to better suit your needs?

erikamae
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I really like watercolours at the moment c:

GunZet
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I will never ever, probably neva EVAR use PS as a drawing tool again. Once you discover SketchBook Pro, Photoshop becomes nothing but a final step program.

LVUER
02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Well, that's because PS is an picture editing software, not for drawing at all. I have PS, but ditched it in favor of Macromedia (yes, not Adobe) Flash MX since that obsolete software perform even better for line art compared to PS CS 3. SAI is another terrific software for lineart-ing too.

GunZet
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Photoshop was advertised for picture editing, but is indeed a drawing software too. Lots of people use it for that, and only for that. It just depends on who's using it really.
It has multiple uses. But I really hate the unnatural feel I get from trying to draw in it.

LVUER
02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
You can use it for drawing but it's original purpose is not for drawing. And it's not that good for drawing (but still do decent job). And of course, it's all depend on the person. If that person is good, even using MS paint he could create a godly art.

Hamachi
02-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I think it's not just about the quality of the art though, but also about the efficiency of the tools applied to get to the final product. For example, take a case where you could have made three or four more drawings with the time used to make a single one.

As to software... Sketchbook or Corel Painter ... decisions, decisions...

LVUER
02-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Some of my friends use SAI to do lineart, coloring in Corel Painter, and then PS for editing and final touch. They have dough to burn it seems ^_^

Rio
02-24-2011, 07:14 PM
They have dough to burn it seems ^_^Not necessarily.

My favorite has to be the good 'ol paper and pencil. Next would be watercolor, colored pencils, and digital art in no particular order. One thing I'm sure about - conte crayons - I see no reason for their existence when colored pencils are so much better.

Reset
02-25-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm agree with Lvuer said about PS for final touch. It's created by adobe for editing purpose, for drawing adobe created adobe Ilustrator but I love corel draw better. Corel draw is my first love you now, my first CG software that i can learn autodidact cuz its easy use interface.
Well, people might often using He/she-"well known" medium, so I think its the best.

Sylux
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Tree dee fahrt.

Reset
02-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Tree dee fahrt.

What is this?A software?

Celestial-Fox
02-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Lol, "3D art."

Reset
02-27-2011, 11:56 PM
U mean something like 3dmax or maya?

Celestial-Fox
02-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I /think/ Sy might actually use Blender, but I'm not sure....

AWWW YEAR, I GET TO DO AN IMPASTO PAINTING TODAY FOR A COMMISSION. *whips palette knife around*

Japxican
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Like rio, I like a pencil and scketchbook the most. I also like watercolours (though I'm still a beginner), charcoal, conte crayons, pencil crayons, chalk pastels, and oil paints (again, I'm a beginner with those). As far as digital work goes, I've done three works using gimp and a mouse. It's fun, but it takes so darn long!

Rio
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Have you considered investing on a tablet? Coloring by mouse is so tedious and very hard on the fingers.

CitrusTrance
03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Hmm personally, pencil is always cool with me.
But there's something about inking that I've always loved to death.
Watercolour painting is also pretty cool, but I need more practice. I'd do it alot more often if I had a bigger table to draw on.
And digital art is also really fun, I think It's on par with inking for me.
But digital inking... *jizzes pantz*

LVUER
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
And why is that? If you love traditional inking but still want the traditional feeling, you could go with Intuos (or tablet up to par with that) that could detect rotation and angle... and use Corel Painter. Corel Painter is somewhat similar to PS, but it really mimics/simulate the traditional inking and painting (like using pigment based instead of RGB thingie).

Reset
03-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I hope I can buy a tablet. Hiks T_T

LVUER
03-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Then start saving.

If you have about 1.500.000 to 2.000.000 rupiah (price could vary depending on where you live), you could get Wacom Bamboo Fun Small or Medium (I suggest Fun series over normal Bamboo). If you're okay with non-Wacom tablet, then you could find tablet that even cheaper than that (though I'm not recommending it at all).

If you're still a student then... well, it's hard, I know...

Reset
03-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Yeah Im work for living hope I can save more money, I just bough a scanner and now start saving for tablet. Rp.2.000.000 hmm, maybe in five month.

GunZet
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
So guys, right now I'm using a bunch of Prismacolor markers. The grayscales are amazing. Best used when you print out your digital lineart.
So yea...markers are now a fave medium for me, now if I could afford them...

Rio
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I've always wondered about Prismacolor markers - can you blend the colors seamlessly or do they have that marker trademark (i.e. the darker line if you go over a color twice)?

GunZet
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
To put it simply. Think of it as using multiply layers, that's how they work, and it's awesome.

Celestial-Fox
03-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Prismas, in my experience are still streaky, but not as bad as say, Trias, or Faber-Castells. The best way to avoid that, really, is with Copics. Problem is, Copics are less bold and it's more difficult to get a clean-cut line out of them without a mask of some sort.

GunZet
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Gotta get my hands on a Prisma 20% Grayscale marker. They don't feel or perform streaky at all for me O.o.

Celestial-Fox
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I'd super picky, though. You're into the concept style of art, which allows for some minimal streak, but once you want to do some serious smooth shading, well. Things get a little tricky with the lighter colors.

GunZet
03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
You're right, they're better for really sharp parts. I don't even know HOW you'd go about soft shading, you'd have to stack up various percentages, and that's just too much. Easily accomplished in any drawing program.

Celestial-Fox
03-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Exactly why half the time I want to burn my traditional commissions because it'd be fifty times easier in digital format.

GunZet
03-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Unless you use colored pencil or pastel...or chalk..or something.

Rio
03-02-2011, 07:31 PM
You should switch to colored pencils. The Prismacolor colored pencils are great! These:

http://www.pprprinting.com/Portals/0/prismacolor_pencil_prof_set_120.jpg

...not the harder colored pencils.

Celestial-Fox
03-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I liked to use Prismacolor pencils and a clear marker blender over it. The pencil is somewhat water-soluble, so the blending marker tops it off well if I don't want to murk up vibrant tones with a white colored pencil.

And I agree; Prismacolor Scholars are awful. D:

GunZet
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I've used the PColor colored pencils, they're crazy vibrant...it's easy to go overboard and make things a bit too saturated lol.

Celestial-Fox
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm really boring and bought a set of neutral tones just to avoid making things eye-searing all the time. XD

I also like Faber-Castell's pastel pencils. They're really chalky, though, and very difficult to fix to smooth surfaces, such as paper vellum or Bristol board. ): I don't really own paper with a lot of tooth, which sucks.

Reset
03-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I also use Faber-Castell's

The_missing_username
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
If I knew how to do watercolors I'd like them the most, haha, but I'm absolutely terrible at them. I always use too much or too little water, and when it dries everything's a different hue than what I wanted it to be... and I never take the time to figure out CG. D:

Same, I prefer normal paint...
On the other hand I'm always drawing, I've done a little sculpting, painting, and some inking.

Japxican
03-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Have you considered investing on a tablet? Coloring by mouse is so tedious and very hard on the fingers.

I honestly wish I had one. However, all the money I'm making right now is gonna be blown away on my last year of university... maybe when I'm rich...

Hugbees
03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I mostly use Photoshop with my tablet. I want to explore other programs but so far Photoshop gets the job done. I'm not a big fan of traditional art mediums only because of how messy they can be, plus I don't really have room anywhere in my house to put a lot of the supplies.

Rio
03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
It depends on what you get. Painting needs a lot of space generally for the room to paint, the canvas, paint tubes, palette, and brushes but if you get colored pencils for example, they don't take up as much space.

GunZet
03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
My favorite paint will always be acrylics. Then again it's a nice way to break your pockets.

Blue_Dragon
03-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I generally use pencil and India ink, but I also use Photoshop a lot.

I like other mediums, too, like acrylics. I also sometimes use really mixed media like beads, ribbons, glitter, marbles and random stuff like that.

Celestial-Fox
03-09-2011, 02:23 AM
My favorite paint will always be acrylics. Then again it's a nice way to break your pockets.
Not as bad as oils, though, most definitely. XD

I like the way oils blend, but I haaaate waiting for them to dry. D:

Rio
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Not to mention the fumes! But yeah, each medium has their positives and negatives. I really should get back to painting - I've got so many painting materials lying around. xD

Japxican
03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
I've got so many art supplies in general.