PDA

View Full Version : Golden Summer (Ch.1 p.3 // 3-17-11)

Matt
02-18-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm willing to bet that nobody here remembers the last time I tried Golden Summer, and that's definitely a good thing.

There WILL be a storyline upon the next update. For now, here's a 4koma, reading right to left.
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/049/2/5/golden_summer_page_1_by_boriol-d39t6x7.jpg

Note: Golden Summer's got multiple genres. Based on my current script, which will go through a million changes by the time I'm done, it will be:

School life
Moe
Sports
Action
Martial arts
Horror (yes, you read that right)
Romance

No real shonen/shojo definition yet. I don't even know what I'm aiming for myself.

Nyarlathotep
02-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Took me a little while to actually read that in the proper order :P I think reading text right-to-left and then scrolling down to see the image and trying to go the opposite way did a number on my brain.

This looks really good! Coloring is well done and the lines are fairly clean... overall it has an excellent aesthetic. I can appreciate the detail you put into the backgrounds, too - one thing I should note, though, is that the monitor's perspective doesn't match the table quite right - just a tad off.

Looking forward to more!

Matt
02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Meh, I don't really like right-to-left. I'll make all the future updates read left-to-right. Also, I'll clean up the lines a ton and make it look a lot more like a real manga. I don't think it's gonna stay a 4koma for too long.

Matt
02-20-2011, 02:49 PM
The next page in draft form. I'm gonna do some lineart in Photoshop and post that later.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/051/f/4/golden_summer_draft_by_boriol-d39zp0b.jpg

Regantor
02-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Eh, it's looking pretty okay so far... Nice soft art and albino girls equal bonus points. Would definately stick to writing left to right from now on, through. The humour... has some srly serious potiential in all seriousness. :3

Keep it up...

Matt
02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/053/1/d/golden_summer_page_2_by_boriol-d3a4tcv.jpg

LVUER
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Man, they are so cute and the story is so funny that I want to hug them ^_^

Frostfyr3
02-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Cute character, I like it ^_^ It remainds me of Lucky Star.

LVUER
02-27-2011, 06:38 PM
The main girl reminds me of one girl from K-On... (the one that stinking rich and a bit perverted)

Celestial-Fox
03-01-2011, 03:20 AM
That last one made me laugh pretty hard. XD Nice work, Matt.

Matt
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
@LVUER - Mugi! I didn't form Sierra off her (she was a completely original model from when I was 15), but they do have their similarities. One, you'll see in about two or three pages.

@Frostfyr - Lucky Star was one of many influences. The others were K-On, Manabi Straight, Azumanga Daioh, Shuffle!, and Higurashi. (You'll see the Higurashi bit come in gradually, but it'll never be in the horror genre.)

@Seefy - That bit in parentheses above was heavily influenced by that little study you did for me awhile back. I'll see if I can get it out before you remember what that was. Page 3 introduces the storyline, finally. It's in draft form right now, slowly being inked and detailed (because it's testing week--ACT, MME, PLAN, etc. I totally guessed on every problem for the science and math portions. Let's see what kinda college I can get into with that).

EDIT: In reply to Frostfyr's comment, actually, yes, Golden Summer will actually have a bit of horror. My script changed.

Celestial-Fox
03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
THE SUSPENSEEEE. Ugh, I hate it when people reference things I've said/done and I don't remember them! Hurry up with that new page, then! XD

Matt
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Kay, I'll get the new page up within the week, but there's one problem: every time I open Sai to do the lineart, I get a mild art block. I'd previously roughed it in, and I was really happy with the flow of it, i.e. the bubble placement, but the characters and backgrounds were so rough that I couldn't tell where to ink. Most of the panels contained circles and lines for the characters and empty backgrounds. I thought I could build the Summers' house in Sketchup and use still pictures from it as backgrounds, but it turns out Sketchup's a bit more time-consuming than I'd thought.

But anyway, the lineart. I don't even know how to do half the angles I sketched, and if I do, they don't turn out right because I neglected to sketch in detail. So, would it be better for me to do my pages traditionally, or should I keep doing it digitally and figure out how to get around the blocks?

Evil_Cake
03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
. So, would it be better for me to do my pages traditionally, or should I keep doing it digitally and figure out how to get around the blocks? look inside urself for the answer

Regantor
03-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Just realised something... Why are Sierra's blood-red eyes the only thing that got coloured on that last page? It's kind of amusingly sinister if unintentional...

Anyway. I find that as long as you think of the background like a three-dimensional object, blagging correct-looking angles often isn't that difficult. Perhaps it's worth just drawing a bunch of cubes or octogons for practice?

Matt
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Sierra's eyes are gonna be uncolored from now on. I noticed it looked sorta gothic, and that's not what I was aiming for.

I'm gonna keep practicing on backgrounds. This next page has really sucky background, but hey, I'll improve as time goes by.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7095/page3scaled.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/page3scaled.jpg/)
I have to apply tones, so it's technically not done. Still, this is what I presented to my art teacher. ^^

EDIT: Oh, 100th post.

Bacon_Barbarian
03-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Art teacher? Why? For C&C?

Matt
03-21-2011, 09:23 AM
It's my final art project. I gotta finish the first chapter.

Bacon_Barbarian
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Oh, OK then. Beter get crackin' Matteo.