PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Thread: Take 5?

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Jeez how many threads have we had in the past? Anyway I'm making a new one.
Okay talk about Martial arts in this thread. The ones you train in, trained in, or are wanting to train in, etc.

GunZet
02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Did regular karate in indy gym class back in school for a few months. It was p. cool actually, except we had to memorize and execute certain moves and stances. You know, stuff that would never work in real life. Neo and Jackie Chan disagree.
I'd take it again but nah.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Karate isn't the best martial art you could study if you want to use that to defend yourself. Karate is more of an art form than a defensive thing, you know?

GunZet
02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Wuhh, I thought Judo was defensive? Or maybe both...ah I don't know much about this lol. I love watching MMA though, that'd be the way I'd go...if I wasn't a skinny skater bastard.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Judo isn't Karate. It can be applied to help you in a fight irl, but if you really wanted to learn something to defend yourself against like a knife or a gun, you'd probably be better off with something like Krav Maga. I'm not a fan of MMA, but you can always look for a class or something somewhere. I'm sure they'd offer a class somewhere around where you live. Just buy a few weights or something and start working out.

Superdooperphailmachine
02-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I did Karate years ago and found it pretty boring. I would like to get into a different martial art but I haven't the money.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I did TaeKwon Do, Box, some of Vale Todo and some of Full Contact when I was younger. The last thing I did was Muay Thai. I think I should be back in training =/.

Also Karate is the most boring Martial Art of all (and inefficient), TaeKwon Do is good if you don't do the ATA or WTF (ITF FTW), and Vale Todo... well it's depend, do you want a big guy hug you all the time?

Reset
02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
well it's depend, do you want a big guy hug you all the time?

I would'nt!! Very disgusting.

I did TaeKwon Do too till 2 years ago, my campus moved to another city (cuz provincial capital moved too), dojang is too far away now then i quit and so i just got yellow belt.

"Vale Todo" i know that name, its about fighting chalange without rules all of kind of martial art allowed, that's what I read from manga "Ashura."

But that really interested me is the "eight point" kung fu (i dont know what is international name, but it call BaJiQuan in china), you will learn about it a lot from an old manga titled "Kenji,"or from game titled "bloody roar" (use by Shen Long & Long). It's cool man.

Matt
02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I took basic karate when I was thirteen. It was pretty much a discipline class, but there were some pretty good techniques I carried over when I switched dojos. After I switched, I started learning jujitsu, muay thai, and aikido (my favorite so far). I liked those much better, partially because my sparring partners weren't 10-year-old kids whose idea of a high kick was a foot from the floor. I could actually fight against people who knew what they were doing, which made it a lot more fun, and probably a lot more practical.

I ran out of money about a year ago, but I keep nagging my parents to get me back in. Until then, I'll learn jujitsu from my dad.

Kenichi had an interesting quote about martial arts in it. Went something like, "Martial arts are for defense. If you want to kill somebody, it's better to use that thing on your hip."

Hamachi
02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
If I could actually become a master at one martial art, the only one I'd want to learn would be Capoeira.

Yeah, the only thing worse than being pwned by a martial artist is being pwned by a breakdancing martial artist.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I did Karate for the longest time and I really enjoyed it. It is a lot different from the ones that teach you to beat people up, but it does teach you how to fight which is good, I guess.

Does anyone do or have done Kendo at all?

Superdooperphailmachine
02-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I could never find anywhere in my area that taught it.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 06:44 PM
The same dojo that taught me karate had a kendo club that I joined a couple years ago. Unfortunately, the hours were really late that we practiced, so it was getting in the way of my studies and I had to stop training for a while. Now that I'm done though, I want to get back into it.

GunZet
02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
If I could actually become a master at one martial art, the only one I'd want to learn would be Capoeira.

Yeah, the only thing worse than being pwned by a martial artist is being pwned by a breakdancing martial artist.
Hell yea. It'd be so badass, and much easier to learn if I was born in Tekken.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
If we're talking about martial arts we'd want to learn, I'd want to learn the anything-goes style. that'd be cool. Or cat fu. It's unbeatable, you know.

Hamachi
02-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Hell yea. It'd be so badass, and much easier to learn if I was born in Tekken.

Waitwaitwait no, I changed my mind. If I could actually be a pro, legit martial arts master I'd choose Drunken Fist. Wouldn't it be even worse to be beaten up by a guy pretending to be drunk? Anyways, coolness.

LVUER
02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I want to try to learn those CQC (or CQB). You know, the martial arts taught in those Special Forces or SWAT team... I heard it's a a combination between Judo, Aikido, and Jujitsu. Nice ^_^

Reset
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Waitwaitwait no, I changed my mind. If I could actually be a pro, legit martial arts master I'd choose Drunken Fist. Wouldn't it be even worse to be beaten up by a guy pretending to be drunk? Anyways, coolness.

It's Kempo bro. That train your body so hard till your body can move its own based on instinct alone so even if you're drunk are not even aware you can fight. It's really cool!!

I want to try to learn those CQC (or CQB). You know, the martial arts taught in those Special Forces or SWAT team... I heard it's a a combination between Judo, Aikido, and Jujitsu. Nice ^_^

Never heard about that.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 08:04 PM
If you want a good martial art, mix Brasilian Jiujitsu and Muay Thai. At the end you are going to be a beast in grappling and beating.

Capoeira, it looks ok, but most of the fighters lose the fight (to rythmic, to much moves) and Drunken Fist... well the same.

Hamachi
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
lol I know; in real fighting giving up your center of balance or doing any kind of kick above the hip is basically suicide. But if you were a master ... you wouldn't have to worry so much!! True, it's not very practical, but if you can kick your opponents' butts it would be that much more awesome to do it in style. xD

Yeah, I've seen Thai soldiers train and they use Muay Thai in their combat training. Heck, all the moves have been tried and proven in Thai armies for hundreds of years - you can't be more efficient than that, haha. It's a very straightforward, choppy kind of fighting the Thai movies glamorized far too much.

GunZet
02-14-2011, 08:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1-DW_yO5Ak

Reset
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
lol I know; in real fighting giving up your center of balance or doing any kind of kick above the hip is basically suicide. But if you were a master ... you wouldn't have to worry so much!! True, it's not very practical, but if you can kick your opponents' butts it would be that much more awesome to do it in style. xD

If the opponent using katana you would minus a leg. But if say it a master, he should already know how to handling the risk of his art.

LVUER
02-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Never heard about that.

Play Metal Gear Solid 3 or 4. In reality, it's basically martial arts that taught to military forces (although it varies from country to country... Indonesia teach Pencak Silat to it's army and Thailand is Muathai). If I'm not mistaken, US SWAT members and UK SAS learn this... in fact, this moves is popularized during WW2 when SAS used this moves on the Nazi.

This is not a pure martial arts and more mix-and-match martial arts. The main moves of this martial art is disarmament of enemy's weapons, throw them/incapacitate them in some way, could also be used in conjunction of other arms (usually knifes). Of course you do this only when you don't have weapons to fight (not like MGS where you do this instead of relying on firearms).

This martial arts is not taught to civilian, and there's one book that teach about this, get pulled off no long after the release. And that book become training book for SWAT/military personnel.

I think there's an article about this on Wikipedia.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q7WZXi7Pd4&feature=related

The reality for capoeira.

Hamachi
02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Point taken, but that was a kickboxer vs capoeira and also that was a movie production scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6oiADjOdFg

"Capoeira" fighter who isn't using capoeira footwork. The kick was legit though. :P

Zoe
02-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I do Muay Thai and No-gi Jiu Jitsu.
Really, more of a grappler than I am a kickboxer though.

I feel that for women, no-gi jiu jitsu/submission grappling is the best form of self defense. I mean, I'm 5' tall and only about 103lbs, if a guy wants me on the ground I'm going to end up on the ground. However, I know how to get the f-ck away, even if they guys 100lbs larger than I am (most of my training partners are even more than that ;-; ). Despite this, most women I try to convince to at least TRY it, are too grossed out by the positions and being on the ground wrestling with another person, and/or they're afraid of getting hurt. Both are completely ridiculous. When you're grappling, you don't really think about the contact (at least I don't), and trust me, I'm a vicious little biatch, when I'm trying to break your arm you're more concerned with defending yourself. As for the second part, while I have gotten pretty injured from grappling, when you're not training at competition level the most you'll get is a couple bruises now and then. [/rant]

BRAG TIME: My bf is 4-0 in MMA right now, he's pretty awesome.

But yeah, martial arts are rad.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Jiu jitsu is great for self defense, until you see that if someone attack you in the street is not going to be alone.

Zoe
02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Jiu jitsu is great for self defense, until you see that if someone attack you in the street is not going to be alone.

In that sense, why bother learning self defense at all?
Even if I was a BEASTLY kickboxer, or whatever MA you want, if theres multiple people I'd be toast.

Hamachi
02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I feel like there are three types of women - when unarmed and threatened, they either try to run away or:

(1) Freeze up
(2) Start kicking and screaming
(3) Claw madly at their assailant like a rabid monkey

Personally I have the most respect for women in category (3). Or maybe that's just because I'm male.

Edit: Added unarmed. Personally I respect the lady who pulls out her handgun and casually fires into her assailant's guts the most.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Here's a video of different Karate styles which are all really similar to each other. I think the style I did is in there somewhere.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ez-2WUDYtf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I did Goju-ryu btw.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Never liked Karate, and it never going to like me.

Bad moves, bad technique, bad dicipline, etc.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Bad moves, bad technique, bad dicipline, etc.

um, no. Just because you're not good at it doesn't mean they're useless.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
No, are useles, I hve fighted against black belt in karate and they are awful.

The moves are stiff, and is and they mark their movements (so is pretty easy to know what they are going to do). Also when they hit you they stop (and when they try to keep hitting you, they become a mess) and when you hit them they think that one hit and there is not going to be other, so they low their guards.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 10:52 PM
I think whoever you fought wasn't very good. the colour of someone's belt has nothing to do with how good they are. Anyone can go out and buy a black belt but it doesn't mean they're an expert.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
2 things.

Do a poll and see how many people think that Karate sucks. And show me a video were karate is useful.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 11:35 PM
that's retarded.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Because is impossible that a Karate fighter defeat any other type of fighter, and also because everyone think that karate is useless.

Hayashida
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't see why you think Karate is useless. If you need proof so bad, here's a video of two guys fighting, one using karate and the other kung fu
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a4JiNrU7jEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and I don't think people here think it's useless. People have said that they didn't like it when they trained in it, which is fine. That doesn't mean its a bad martial art.
Now if all you're going to do is bash karate, you can go post somewhere else. We don't need you trolling this thread; I would rather have a decent discussion rather than try to prove shit to you.

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 12:06 AM
The kung fu guys in previous video only trained to use their fists, which is why they got their butts kicked since they weren't bold enough to close the distance into their own effective range. I also suspect it's against karate etiquette to rush in and bash the opponent repeatedly with fist techniques. Remember, those guys were performing on TV.

Conversely, (never mind the ethnicities haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0CIy9ZZEQE

And THAT, my friends, is why you never ever perform a roundhouse high kick in a real fight.

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
the guy using kung fu in the previous video was using drunken style, which could be why.

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey Dokken, I already saw that video, and yeah, the only way that karate win against a martial art is another useles martial art (drunken fist).

Dude, this is simple, Karate is bad, everyone knows it and most Martial Artists don't even see karate as a effective combat style.

Hamachi I have seen that guy, is pretty famouse, specially because he has a incredible time of reaction.

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Listen clock, I already told you, if you're just going to bad-mouth karate then take a hike. You're lucky I'm not giving you a warning for trolling.

GunZet
02-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Ye Karate definitely isn't useless. It's p. awesome when done right, and in a good fight.
But like all the rest of these martial arts except maybe MMA, they'll be little use to you in real life situations where there are no rules, no ref, no ring. So you'll more than likely end up abandoning trying to get all stylized and set up, and stray right into fight or flight mode.

I like that one killing move though. The one where you drive your [] up the person's [] so that the bone smashes into the brain or something.

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Why trolling? I'm making here a discussion and I'm cleaming that Karate is useles. You say that karate is useful, then you need to show me some arguments of how useful is karate.

You bring a bad video, and I want a better one that prove your argument that Karate is not useles.

Also this is simple, if you make a fight between a Brasilian Jiu Jitsu and a Karate Fighter, who is going to win? The same goes for Muay Thai, Todo Vale, etc.

Edit: Or you just want to use your Mod powers in a reckles way?

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 12:27 AM
No, this isn't a discussion. All I'm hearing from your side is "karate is useless". You're giving me no proof that it's useless. Secondly, you're taking these martial arts at face value. Obviously one is going to be better at beating someone up, because the history of them is different. Not to mention the fact that over time, martial arts evolve and their purpose change. Karate isn't just about how to hurt someone. It started out as a form of defence but now it is also a form of meditation and unifying mind and body. Other martial arts, such as ones you've pointed out are more for self defence. So to compare two martial arts and say that one is better than the other is a moot point. It's like saying a pitcher is better than a hitter. They're both baseball players, but their function is completely different, so comparing the two is extremely difficult and a pointless thing to do.

LVUER
02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
If you're looking martial arts only to beat up someone bad, then just go for "street fighting" style, or martial arts that involves a lot of locking (which is very good at 1 vs 1).

And remember that in real fight, you're not limited in what you have already learned (my guess, in those movies, those guys only use their "style"). In jujitsu/judo, there's no punch. But in real fight, you can lock someone, and then beat his face until he's faceless...

GunZet
02-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Unless it's an unbalanced fight..you know, blades, projectiles, guns. Lol.

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 12:33 AM
But that's against the rules!! D:

LVUER
02-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Uuumm... we're talking about martial arts, right? Since if not, then I will also say it's stupid to fight with martial arts when you can have weapons in your hand (like the trusty shotgun or at least a hand gun).

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Are you saying that if you got in a fight with someone in the street, you would just shoot them rather than fight them man to man

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 12:48 AM
You know, I might just say that Shaolin is the "best" martial art simply by virtue that all its true practitioners do nothing but practice it 6 hours every day and spend the remaining 6 hours doing stretches.

... and if that someone was out to kill me, yeah, I'd probably shoot them. :P

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
No, this isn't a discussion. All I'm hearing from your side is "karate is useless". You're giving me no proof that it's useless. Secondly, you're taking these martial arts at face value. Obviously one is going to be better at beating someone up, because the history of them is different. Not to mention the fact that over time, martial arts evolve and their purpose change. Karate isn't just about how to hurt someone. It started out as a form of defence but now it is also a form of meditation and unifying mind and body. Other martial arts, such as ones you've pointed out are more for self defence. So to compare two martial arts and say that one is better than the other is a moot point. It's like saying a pitcher is better than a hitter. They're both baseball players, but their function is completely different, so comparing the two is extremely difficult and a pointless thing to do.

Ok, this is my argument why I find karate useful

In any kind of combat there are rules, one of these rules are the steps. In a fight there is a way to do a step front, step back and step at the sides (some people add the cut distance step, that is diagonal, but is relative), Karate teach you this, but is not efficent and the efficense is one of the mayor rules in fights (you shouldn't never do a move that take more time than a simpler quicker move), this is because the step front and the step back are teached in katas, and the step front and back teached in combat are old and not efficient (some schools teach different steps for kata and combate, but they use old steps already throwed away by other diciplines).

Other problem with karate is that they are teached to fight at the point, this mean, when you hit someone and get a point you are separated from the other. This don't gave any experinse of what is a real fight (where you can be hitted many times in a combo and if you don't do anything the other guy is not going to stop to beat up the crap of you).

Other problem with karate as a fight dicipline is the stiffness. In karate most of the time they teach you to be solid and stiff, the moves are also stiff. This is bad, because 1) you mark your moves (this make the moves predictables), 2) you get tired easly (you shouldn't never be stiff if you are not in the combate zone, because you are going to get tired), 3) solid moves are slower, with this say, a good punch is soft, it go quick and hit hard, is just a fraction of second when the punch get hard and is in that fraction when the punch hit. Karate go in the contrarie, because you are hard all the time (no sexual jk).

Other problem with karate is the guard, there are 2 schools in karate, one that teach the kick boxing guard and one that use the toshokan or karate do guard. Both guards are bad, are easy to get in, are easy to break (with a guard breaker) and are easy to read.

I can keep going, but the deal is that Karate is not efficent. Is like Taekwon Do WTF or ATA. Use bad moves, that waste to much energy and have bad step strategy. With bad steps, bad guard and bad moves you are easly destroyed by any other diciplines (specially because Karate doesn't have a specialization like Taekwon do that only use the feets and at least there are some tricks when you are in a style disadventage).

Also I want to see a video of someone who does Karate and beat another martial artist, who is doing a respectable style (Muay Thai, Todo Vale, Brasilian Jiu Jitsu, Wing Chu, Jeet Kune Do, Box or Krav Maga.

LVUER
02-15-2011, 12:53 AM
@Hayashida:
No, but I will hold them up with a gun, "Don't move, smart-ass, or do you want an additional hole for your ass?" Or something like that ^_^

Do you want to fight using martial arts when your opponent have a gun loaded and aimed at you?

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Depends if that opponent is on his own, that opponent's experience with said gun, my own level of skill, and how bad things are going to get if I don't take that chance.

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Against a gun just do what he say amd if you have skills find the second of a moment to do you move (but trust me, is better to do what he says).

If is a knife, then is easy, you can use a grap or use a nice kick (the foot of front is pretty good to make quick light kicks, so is easy to disarm with it).

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Yar, but if you were going to be shot anyways you might as well take a chance eh? Like, you were being brought out to be taken care of in a hostage situation.

GunZet
02-15-2011, 01:05 AM
What if you do what he says and you still get shot? Game over man, game over. But this is just a thread de-rail.....

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Ah well if you are going to get shot anyway you need to be cold mind and see the situation. First, see if the gun is a pistol or a revolver, if is a revolver type, you can see if is loaded or not, also it has a hammer, you can grab the hand of the opponent and obstruct the hammer so the gun doesn't shot and you can do a grappling at his arm. If is a pistol type, you don't know if is loaded or not, but you can still make a obstruction at the trigger (the deal is that, is harder and you also expose yourself to much to damage).

Also you can use grapplings or in the worst and most dangerous scenarious, use kicks. You could use black crane (a kick of kung fu that is donde gaving the back to the opponent... I don't remember if the real name was black crane... I have to find my books) to disarm or making the opponent lose the aim.

GunZet
02-15-2011, 01:09 AM
I might need a VATS for that...

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Okay everything you've said that karate teaches people is incorrect.
Your first point about movement mentions katas. Katas aren't meant to train you to fight. They are a collection of moves which are used to teach you flowing movement from one move to another, and are sort of "re-enactments" of fights. They're not meant to aid you in a real fight. It's used for training fundamentals.

Like I said before, nowadays, karate isn't used so much as a method of self defence as it is for training body and mind together. It's like a zen thing. I can't explain it very well. It can certainly help you in a fight, but it's main purpose isn't to help you win a bar fight.

With regards to your point about stiffness, I don't know where you heard this, but it's not true. Karate does not teach anyone to be stiff when attacking, because you will just end up hurting yourself. Karate teaches you to be graceful and flowing with your attacks. Your attacks are supposed to "snap" on contact but only for a split second.

Your point about blocking, I actually semi-agree with. When I was taught karate, a few of the blocks seemed kind of useless to me, and they still seem a bit useless. Not all blocks are like that though. Some are useful for blocking attacks, but there are a couple which are kind of wonky.

All in all, my argument remains the same: Karate isn't supposed to teach you how to kick a guys ass. It's supposed to teach you to have a calm mind and body. Also, a lot of karate's criticism comes from the fact that many people have opened up dojos without any training themselves and will teach BS to students. Then these guys claim they know karate, get in a fight and lose bad because they know nothing. Someone who truly trains in karate will be able to fight well.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LKPyO4sdfoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Also you need to think in distance and obstalces (living and dead obstacles). Also think in the time of reaction he might have and the time of the move of your hand and body. Deal against a gun is hard and almost impossible, you need to be so quick that the other doesn't even get to pull the trigger before you get his aim lost.

Also this remaind me another reason why Karate is a bad martial art, its because you never get different experiense, with this sayed a Mixed Martial Artist is going to have to fight in grappling, sumission, punch, kick, etc. But karate just punch and kick (it has some grapplings, but not many). So of course the MMA is going to be more prepared to different situation, the karate kid is not well prepared. If I do a grapple in the head he will be mostly doomed.

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Clock different styles mean different moves. Of course jiu jistu is going to have different moves from karate.

GunZet
02-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Yea, some of the blocking methods in karate are just stupid. I'd rather move out the way instead of attempting a block that'd do just as much damage if I hadn't of moved.

*Either internet is slow, or you guys are posting at light speed.

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Karate has bad foot work in kata and fight, because the foot work used in fights is like the old kick boxing (waste of energy). Example in your video: You can see that both karate and jiujitsu fighter have both bad foot work. Karate fighter has a better center of gravity, but the jiujitsu fighter has a kick my please stand (his body look at front to the opponent) so both are wasting energy and this is inefficient.

A good foot work can be 1) don't move (one of the best for people who want to use punch and get inside the punch zone and out kick zone, because you can enter when the oponent doesn't expect it) or easy swim (a light swim that work to mark the tempo, is good for the ones who want to keep the kick zone). But this is importat, you shouldn't never let your feet go their own way and mark your moves. You can see in the video you put how the fighters mark their moves before they do them.

Also using your video again, both fighters have awful guards. Is amazing how the karate fighter didn't broke a limb of the jiujitsu guy before, because he even start jumping with the arms in the air.

Guard in Karate is bad, not only because you use block (block are only useful against especific attacks). A good guard doesn't need a block, because its supposed to cover the vitals and let you attack at the same time (you eat half a kick, butyou gave a entire punch).

About the stiffness. Most karate tradicionalist in here teach that, and they punch like that. So I learn that from them (and I disprove that from them). But hey, what is the difference between not tradicionalist karate and kick boxing?

Another problem with karate and also tkd is the kick. The impact of the kick is made with the talus bone, this bone can make more damage to you than the opponent. And other martial arts (more efficent) use the tibia a better weapon because it has a blade shape and is stronger.

Also, as I said, it has less variation of movements and of course the fighter has less experiense against more wide variation of movements.

And, dude, these are martial arts and also to self defense, if it can't accomplish to gave you a good self defense then is not good.

Muay Thai vs Karate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPns5FV3etQ

Brazilian Jiujitsu vs Karate (kenpo).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEm-SVGlJrg

BJJ vs Karate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhjn7i-JDks

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Yes, when it comes to an all out fight, those styles are better than karate because it's just smash into your opponent and knock them down.

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 03:00 AM
Hey, did anyone see Nat. Geo's Fight Science documentary on Ninjutsu combat? That one's based primarily on quick grabs and twists meant to break bones. Wonder if it could be hybridized with karate.

LVUER
02-15-2011, 03:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Japanese police are taught karate as form of their self-defense. So that means karate is something (at least not that bad). Since if it is, they will teach the policemen (and women) judo or aikido instead...

Delphinus
02-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Judo is a sport, not a martial art. Aikido is useless if you want to actually take the lead in a fight.

indescribable
02-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Edit: Answered my own question.

Reset
02-15-2011, 07:01 AM
After reading 68 these 70Mbps post I conclude
Hey are you all talking about modern martial art?
All they have is: sport, defense, self control, and some kind of how to beat enemy.

Why don't just talkin bout ancient martial art. the martial art true form.

Every martial art born at war because they need beat enemy at least kill em. How worst you think about something useless in real fight like karate or taekwondo its have its own technique not that to be taught at school, at least taekwondo have stabbing technique using nail on your finger to pull out your heart that you don't even know that your heart is not in your chest again.

I ask a quetion to my master.If there opponent that you can't beat or some criminal willing to kill me, what i must to do?
A: just poke his eye and run away

So every martial art master has its own solution to win fight using his technique and style. After all every master with solid defense or speed should be die if shot by sniper with anti tank round except he has instinct to live or run away or catch the enemy if he can. The last sentence its refer to ancient jiujutsu who gave birth to vale todo who can fight the black ops.

Its from what i read years ago:
Karate: Its about who standing the last (pride)
Taekwondo: polite behave

francois_1988
02-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Man.... i don't have ANY martial art... Maybe, I'll just have to run when I wanna defend myself.. :D
well, maybe, Boxing is something that i have... Filipinos always Love that.. :D
If given the chance, I wanna learn Muay thai, Krav Maga,and Arnis(that's when I have a stick)
:D

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Every martial art born at war because they need beat enemy at least kill em.

Not complety true. Not all martial arts born like that. One of the tales about the birth of Kung Fu tells that it was made because Chinesse monk were lazy and fat and Kung Fu was created as a excersise way.

How worst you think about something useless in real fight like karate or taekwondo its have its own technique not that to be taught at school, at least taekwondo have stabbing technique using nail on your finger to pull out your heart that you don't even know that your heart is not in your chest again.

Karate also have the use of nail and fingers (but both, karate and taekwondo don't use that).

I ask a quetion to my master.If there opponent that you can't beat or some criminal willing to kill me, what i must to do?
A: just poke his eye and run away

Is the best solution.

So every martial art master has its own solution to win fight using his technique and style. After all every master with solid defense or speed should be die if shot by sniper with anti tank round except he has instinct to live or run away or catch the enemy if he can. The last sentence its refer to ancient jiujutsu who gave birth to vale todo who can fight the black ops.

Every martial art has its own style and solution. The deal is that the variation of things you know to find a solution. Ex. If you know nothing of grappling and have bad kicking, but good punching (like boxer), you are less efficent against someone attacking you with a knife.

Its from what i read years ago:
Karate: Its about who standing the last (pride)
Taekwondo: polite behave

There is always a phylosphy part with karate, that doesn't come from karate. Karate born as a self defense for the farmers, and the phylosophy its come from bushido, so the karate + phylosophy is a modern karate (less modern now, because there is a new modern karate that looks like kick boxing).

Also I find karate bad to self delfense and for cops. If you have cops who know karate, and others who know vale todo. Who you think is best trained for his work?

Reset
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Not complety true. Not all martial arts born like that. One of the tales about the birth of Kung Fu tells that it was made because Chinesse monk were lazy and fat and Kung Fu was created as a excersise way.

You got me

Karate also have the use of nail and fingers (but both, karate and taekwondo don't use that).

I mean ancient art

Every martial art has its own style and solution. The deal is that the variation of things you know to find a solution. Ex. If you know nothing of grappling and have bad kicking, but good punching (like boxer), you are less efficent against someone attacking you with a knife.

I think your right

There is always a phylosphy part with karate, that doesn't come from karate. Karate born as a self defense for the farmers, and the phylosophy its come from bushido, so the karate + phylosophy is a modern karate (less modern now, because there is a new modern karate that looks like kick boxing).

You got me again, yes its bushido

Also I find karate bad to self delfense and for cops. If you have cops who know karate, and others who know vale todo. Who you think is best trained for his work?

If it refer to his work i think its most suitable for them to train some kind that more agresive (i mean cops playing as cat and criminals play rat), but if its refer to this cop person i think the most fit him, whatever is,it is the best (i mean why should he join base ball club if he prefer football).

Ughh, at least you not got me there, if you got me again as before i just poke your eyes and run away, hehehe :)

Sylux
02-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Takin' Taekwondo, wanna take Haidong Gumdo. Also, Martial Arts are just expressive arts of war; they are not meant for anything, but are rather open to interpretation.

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Takin' Taekwondo, wanna take Haidong Gumdo. Also, Martial Arts are just expressive arts of war; they are not meant for anything, but are rather open to interpretation.
Man you do not know expensive until you do Kendo

Reset
02-15-2011, 03:37 PM

It's "expressive" man, he just edited his post.

@Sylux:
I just wonder when world war III would explode. There's must be 3 axis, and one of it is manga tutorial axis. uhuk, oh god, maybe I was drunk after smoking 48 cigarettes

LVUER
02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I agree that modern martial arts are for sports... even ancient martial arts (or martial arts that have been around since ancient times) are now have become oriented more to sports than its original purpose (which usually to kill or defend yourself in war zone). That's all because we don't have to kill other person again. Besides, who want to learn martial arts only to kill... you probably say yes without second thought... but think again and you will change your mind.

That's why I said I want to learn the military martial arts (CQC)... it's modern martial arts designed to kill... or at least for real fights.

Hayashida
02-15-2011, 10:39 PM
It's "expressive" man, he just edited his post.

oh lol

Reset
02-16-2011, 03:44 AM
I agree that modern martial arts are for sports... even ancient martial arts (or martial arts that have been around since ancient times) are now have become oriented more to sports than its original purpose (which usually to kill or defend yourself in war zone). That's all because we don't have to kill other person again. Besides, who want to learn martial arts only to kill... you probably say yes without second thought... but think again and you will change your mind.

That's why I said I want to learn the military martial arts (CQC)... it's modern martial arts designed to kill... or at least for real fights.

There is no need a reason for a man to be strong, so if it make me strong then its must be required

GunZet
02-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Legit reason to be strong. Like srsly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3FNuMbbUZ0

Reset
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Legit reason to be strong. Like srsly.

Hahahaha

Yeah after you break those cuffs you got 10 holes on your body

Sylux
02-17-2011, 01:04 PM

No inexpensive Kendo classes in Newport News :(

Hayashida
02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
No inexpensive Kendo classes in Newport News :(
what is newport news. what. And I'm not just talking about the classes man, the equipment and everything is so much. The bogu itself can go upwards of 700 bucks for a new set.

Evil_Cake
02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
newport news is a city in virginia usa

Hayashida
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
The city is called Newport News? It sounds like a news segment for TV.

ClockHand
02-18-2011, 12:14 AM
In here there are expensives dojos/gyms. But it has passed a long time after the last time I pay'd for some classes (now most of the classes are free, because I know and I have made friend of a lot of instructors).

Hayashida
02-18-2011, 12:15 AM
That would be cool. I wish I didn't have to pay for training

M3S1H
02-18-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm guessing John started watching/reading Ranma. It's EPIC. I finished every episode, every OVA, and I saw the "episode" created after the creator's retirement. It's too bad that Ranma only kisses Akane once throughout the entire series...

Hayashida
02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I watched it a while ago but I started re-watching it again when I was recovering from my mouth surgery thingy because its awesome. I dunno how Rumiko Takahashi or w/e her name is could make something as good as Ranma 1/2 and then make something as crappy as Inuyasha.

GunZet
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Odd, I hate Ranma but love Inuyasha...

Hayashida
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Are you for real

butternut
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Inuyasha is NOT crappy. I like both of them.. Ranma is funny and entertaining and great moves. and i like stuff like inuyasha anyway (the genre - supernatural, fighting off demons, being able to go back to a certain era..).

EDIT: Just realized its totally off-topic.
Well, haven't learnt any martial arts, but i'm interested. I think i will once i settle in a place properly. I'll probably do tkd, but then i have no idea about a lot of them. so yeah....

GunZet
02-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Are you for real

For real for real.

ClockHand
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Inuyasha is dog crap. Is one of the most awful mangas ever made and abuse of story structure as hell.

Ranma in other hand is humor and its work in that genre.

Edit: The only thing worst than Inuyasha is being talking about that manga in a Martial Art Thread. People should get banned for doing that (spammers).

The_Sanda_Panda
02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I've been training martial arts in one form or another since I was nine. Unfortunately, I didn't take it very seriously when I was younger, so I only trained like once or twice a week. Almost 4 years ago I started training seriously for MMA competition (seriously being 5-6 days a week). The arts I currently train are San Da, Boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and a little bit of wrestling. I'm on the fence as to whether or not 'MMA' is a style in itself, but I practice that too.

I wish that there were more/better martial arts anime. The only ones that I've seen thus far, which I felt to be up to snuff, are History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi and Hajime no Ippo. I've seen others but I felt like they were too over the top and silly for me to handle. I'm really hoping to find a series that does the awesomeness of martial arts justice, rather than cheese-i-fying it to death with overly unrealistic flying spinning moves and stuff.

Sylux
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Inuyasha went on for 167 episodes too many.

Red
02-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I used to do Taekwando, for a year and a half.

I didn't quit on purpose because my mom forced me to.

Apparently, my master was charging $287 a month then, and if you add that up to the belt testing costs for each rank you would crap yourself. Really.

ClockHand
02-23-2011, 09:27 PM
scamed.

Hayashida
02-23-2011, 09:39 PM
That's a buttload of money dude

Evil_Cake
02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
all to learn how to kick people in the face

Sylux
02-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I pay $20 a month and $40 for testing. B)
Needless to say, though, our facility isn't top-of-the-line (it's a Basketball gym on an Army base) and we have absolutely no rigour in our training ._.

Hayashida
02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Wait what kind of martial art do you do

jaidurn
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm gonna learn Wing Chun. :3

Sylux
02-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Wait what kind of martial art do you do

Taekwondo

Hayashida
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
oh right

Sylux
02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
It's p fun but I wouldn't use the fighting moves irl, I'd just use Hapkido

Reset
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
I used to do Taekwando, for a year and a half.

I didn't quit on purpose because my mom forced me to.

Apparently, my master was charging $287 a month then, and if you add that up to the belt testing costs for each rank you would crap yourself. Really.

$287!!! What the f... I only pay Rp70,000.00 or < $7 a month and Higher Saboem always korean

Rio
02-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Different places, different rates. That's damn expensive though Red. Will you ever continue it if you get the chance?

Hamachi
02-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Dude, I know official teachers from Korea who give lessons for free. .__.

Evil_Cake
02-25-2011, 04:52 PM
if people pay why not charge

CypressDahlia
02-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Honestly, I just want to learn how to throw a Hadoken...

Evil_Cake
02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
first u must give up all ur ambitions, such as wanting to learn how to throw a hadoken

Reset
02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
If it possible I want to learn Rider kick and Rider Punch XD.

Different places, different rates. That's damn expensive though Red. Will you ever continue it if you get the chance?

Its sound rational

Dude, I know official teachers from Korea who give lessons for free. .__.

Its must be your dad. You dont have to pay but you get money from him.

if people pay why not charge

Agree