PDA

View Full Version : SFX Discussion Thread

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 01:24 AM
How many times have you been trying to write a sound, and even when you look a list, nothing is like you want. Well this thread is to discuss SFX in comics, so people can find that obnoxious sound that they want to put down in letters.

I'm trying to find the sound of a fast horse gallop. Any sujestions?

Hamachi
02-12-2011, 01:51 AM
I believe you are wishing to apply the forever famous clip-clop.

Depending on the horse's gait, you might have:

A walk: clip, clop, clip, clop ...
A trot: clip-clopclopclop clip-clopclopclop ...
A canter: clip-clop clip-clop clip-clop...
A gallop: clip-clop-clip-clop, clip-clop-clip-clop, clip-clop-clip-clop...

If the horse is galloping on pavement and suddenly stops:
Clatter-clatter, rattle, clomp!

If the horse is galloping on grass and leaps into and out of a stream:
Swish, scuff, *stomp,* SPLOOSH! Splash, splash, drip, drip, drop.

If the horse is being hunted down in the forest by a pack of wolves in the snow:
Thud-thud-thud-thud, *Eaaarrrggghurghurhur!!!* thud-thud-thud-thud, thud-thud-thud-thud, *AROOOooooOOOOooo* thud-thud-thud-thud, thud-thud-thud-thud, *Growrrr, yip, yip, yap!!!* *Grrr, grrr, grrowll... *CHOMP* *KHHHRRRrrrrRRR!!!* *AAAAIIIIEEEERRRgggHURhur-* gasp, choke, coughcough, wheeze...

*Snap*, thump.

Padpadpadpadpad. Sniffsniff. *Grrrrrr, yip, yip!!* Hisssss... drizzle, squirt. Chomp, chomp, squish, munch.

Squelch.

Devised by Yours Truly, who isn't doing anything better with his time. :]

GunZet
02-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Uhhh....what Hamachi said.
I would just suggest not looking for sound effects, but typing them how you hear them, and make sure it matches somewhat with the visual provided. You don't have to get super fancy, but good ones enhance the atmosphere.

LVUER
02-12-2011, 04:51 AM
For SFX, I think it's alright to make-up your own sound effect. SFX could be very different between comic (or manga) even for the same sound. If I must make a sound effect for horse running, I will write: gallop-gallop-gallop

PWhit
02-12-2011, 08:26 AM
As long as you write any word that seems reasonable showing the gallop in action, you should be fine.

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Well I was thinking in a horse galloping in the desert, so the clip-clop wasn't good. I think thud-thud-thud works fine.

Hamachi
02-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I blame a caffeine high and sleep deprivation for my last thread. xD

Anyways I think using either two thuds or maybe four for every interval works best to match the rhythm of a galloping horse. *Nods seriously.*

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey guys, what about the sound of a old revolver?

Hamachi
02-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Boy this is fun! (lol)

Quick Draw: Kchakchik-POW

Nothing left; reload: ... clikclikclikclik ... snap, tchik, tchik, tchik ... etc

Emptying it all: Kchakchik-BLAM-kric-BLAM-krik-BLAM-krick-BLAM-kric-BLAM-krik-BLAM ... clinkclinkclinkclinkclink ... ... Fhwooo

*Single electric guitar chord is strummed. Unknown group of whistlers starts whistling*

So you have the sounds of cocking the revolver, the actual gunshot, the revolver spinning, the shells hitting each other/the ground as they fall, blowing the smoke away from the gun, the clicking sound of an empty gun, and the sound of the revolver being opened for reloading/bullets being loaded into the revolver.

Every time you fire the revolver will spin to another slot. A well-oiled system will have a springy rising sound to it as it turns. It's hard to explain... take a ruler or otherwise fairly lengthy flat metal object, smack it on the side with something blunt, and listen to the sound it makes while it vibrates. Personally I find this specific springy sound makes me trigger-happy as heck.

A POW signifies that it's a fairly low-caliber gun while a BLAM sounds like the bullets being used are larger and need more force. Well I've had my fun. XD

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah... well I was trying to evade the BLAM and POW's... any other sugetion for the shotting sounds?

Hamachi
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Hrm. Oddly enough the English language is really limited to gunshot sounds for some reason. Krack might work as in the crack of a gunshot, but it mostly works only with a single shot. Also, if you said "Crack" you might confuse readers into thinking something was getting broken... you could try POP but that sounds way too wimpy. I think you might be pretty limited in this area.

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 12:15 AM
What if I say Pugfh! ? xD or Thag! ?

Hamachi
02-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Pugfh might not work, lol. I know exactly what you're going for though. Thok might be a good sound for the bullets hitting something. Hmm... maybe something like Kshh might work? That might work as a single shot, or from far away when the sound echoes start blurring the noise. When there' s a lot of percussion-like sounds in comics I've noticed that a lot of times artists would just put in consonants while leaving out the vowels. But Thag does sound unique, at least maybe for a single shot.

That being said, I think using Blam is your best, at least with lots of shots, because it keeps the most meaning when repeated a lot. (Try saying "duck" twenty times and see if it means much to you at the end haha... this gets worse with words without any meaning) Ultimately half the effect is the word choice and the other half the artwork put into the lettering, so if you do a good job with lettering it still might look pretty good.

Also the sounds you hear will obviously depend on the view on whatever you're drawing. For example, if it was zoomed up with the revolver as the closest object to you, you'd definitely hear it clicking as it rotated. If you're close enough for a full-body shot as the shells hit the ground you'd almost always expect to see little clink sounds drawn around them, while if your POV was a bit further off you just might hear the gunshots. If you were really far off you'd hear the gunshot(s) echoing; something like CRAA~CK.

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 12:44 AM
yeah I was thinking the same (like sticking with Blam, but doing the art work in a credible way).

Still for my Blam sounds like 2 pans hitting each other.