PDA

View Full Version : LGBTQ! Why so many anti gay slurs? NSFW/K

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Slurpee
01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
It's ok, there are such thing as true sterotypes.
I'm black, I'm loud, I like fried chicken and Kool-Aid.
It's okay <3

Bacon_Barbarian
01-22-2012, 08:10 PM
There's a whole lot of homo-eroticism in my school's theater department. Probably because it does attract of homosexuals, but also because the straight people who do the play and musical are more comfortable with their sexuality than the average heterosexual.

Fenn
01-22-2012, 10:52 PM
There is imo a high density of gay men in fashion and make up. I would try to say perhaps its something genetic inherited by all gay men to want to go into such industrys but I hate that it's a continued stereotype that all gay men are fashionable or some kind of fashion idiot savants because we aren't. Yes you see allot of gay men in that type of store but I think its to get women shoppers to buy more because dispite just knowing they like men any woman loves to hear a man tell her she looks great in those shoes or that is her color etc. Other ones are if he's an artist or theater actor he's gay. Not true!

Is it possible that men with fashion sense generally carry a certain negative stigma based on the desire to be "macho," and sense gay men generally seem to worry less about such stigma they are more willing to express this sense than straight men?

Just a thought.

CypressDahlia
01-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Well what I meant is that those kinds of stores are more partial towards gay applicants because they think women are more comfortable interfacing with them, can relate to them better and that they would have more knowledge of the products.

Fenn
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Well what I meant is that those kinds of stores are more partial towards gay applicants because they think women are more comfortable interfacing with them, can relate to them better and that they would have more knowledge of the products.

Oh yeah, I got that. And that's definitely true; women seem far more calm when they know the man isn't interested in them. And I can't really blame them for it, sense...not to stereotype, but many straight men DO have only one thing on their mind most of the time...

I was looking at it from the employee's perspective, not the employers, in response to Psy's quote more than yours.

CypressDahlia
03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Maryland just legalized gay marriage.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
How dare they!

Mr_Liebe
03-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Good, progress is being made.

CypressDahlia
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
How dare they!

I know, right. hahahaha. It makes you wonder what took so long since DC legalized it in '09 and we're right smack in the middle of MD.

Torn
03-17-2012, 07:25 PM
As a new user and queer individual myself it's awesome to see a thread like this here. Kudos to the forum.

Kodos
03-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Hey, Torn. What are your preferred pronouns? I wouldn't want to accidentally misgender you if I ever have need to refer to you by pronoun. Your little infobar there says female, but given the fact that unless I'm mistaken the board's gender clicker is binary, that may not necessarily mean anything.

Sylux
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
I thought Rio changed that for Alienninja

Kodos
03-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Did she? I have no idea.

Sylux
03-18-2012, 03:43 PM
No it was a joke if she changed it for anyone it would probably have been Lucy

Kodos
03-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Lucy's a transwoman, she's not non-binary.

Sylux
03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Keywords would have been, but I see what you are saying. I am sorry.

Torn
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks for asking, she and her.

Kodos
03-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Not a problem.

Aether
03-24-2012, 03:03 AM
You know, I don't have anything against homosexuals at all. Like seriously. I just don't get this juxtaposition.

"We are not different."

"We are going to hold annual parades telling everyone that we're different to them but that they should get over it."

I mean like, lolwat.

ClockHand
03-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Does happen with almost any group?

Psy
03-24-2012, 03:25 AM
But everyone is different. We are humans but even among the straight folk there is not really a normal anything besides liking the opposite sex anyone fallows. I personally feel that the parades and festivals are to come together straight and lgbtq and stand against the prejudice publicly (rather than individually and silently). A closed mouth never gets fed or in other words if you don't say something you will never get why you want. We want equality and the right to be who we are without hiding it or fearing retaliation for letting our orientation be known.

It seriously is scary being a kid growing up gay and having to keep yourself in check so that no one finds out or confirms that you are gay. It shows sometimes and the teasing that it causes is bad enough to make anyone hide or feel so hopeless that suicide becomes a real option.
Edit: speaking of which!

A gay Ohio teen remains in critical condition after attempting suicide by overdosing on prescription medication.
As local ABC news affilate 33 WYTZ reports, 15-year-old Austin Rodriguez collapsed on the floor of his Wellsville home after allegedly taking more than 120 pills of his own medication late last week. "The night before this happened he said that we didn't know what was going on in his personal life, and we let him know that we were more than willing to listen to anything that he had to say," Rodriguez's mother Bonnie, adding that her openly gay son was a victim of bullying. "Until friends came out of the woodwork saying, 'We knew Austin was going through this, we thought he was handling it a lot better, we didn't know what to do.'"
read the full article here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/03/23/austin-rodriguez-gay-ohio-teen-coma-suicide-_n_1375555.html)

Edit edit: also read this
st.Petersburg adopts new law banning gay "propaganda" saying it will Protect children from "information manipulation promoting sodomy" (http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/12/st-petersburg-bans-homosexual-propaganda?cat=world&type=article)

Aether
03-24-2012, 03:38 AM
I don't like the fact that people are scared of being themselves, I really don't. But to me that example I gave is somewhat counter productive.

Kodos
03-24-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm too tired to write something more eloquent at the moment, but while I do feel that social justice activists engage in a lot of hypocritical and outright prejudiced behavior that is extremely detrimental to their noble causes and demonstrates a stunning lack of introspection on their part, gay pride parades and stuff like that are hardly examples of this.

I said it once before in an older incarnation of this thread and it is worth repeating. When being gay is something that brings with it the threat of social stigmatization or outright physical harm, gay people show considerable bravery in simply having the guts to come out and say "hey, I'm gay." Thus the act of saying your gay is something praise-worthy and worthy of support in a way that saying "I'm Irish!" or "I like cookies!" is not. Also the Conservatives don't merely have a problem with gay people marrying, they have a problem with gay people existing so it's important that gays band together as a group and say "hey, fuckheads, we exist."

WhenRabbitsAttack
04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
@kodos:*applause*

butternut
04-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Something I found on tumblr, and think as many people as possible should read:

http://cognitivedissonance.tumblr.com/post/21307440159/a-matter-of-pride

It's pretty awe-inspiring.

Psy
05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Marvel Comic's made a splash* in 1992 when one of its beloved charters declared "I am gay."

Twenty years later*- in "Astonishing X-Men," issue 50 set to hit stores on Wednesday - *Northstar will propose to* longtime boyfriend Kyle. The two are set to marry in June.

Marvel and rival DC Entertainment have focused on bringing a more realistic flavor to its characters. DC recently announced that it would relaunch one of its major characters as gay in June. Marvel* introduced Miles Morales, the first half -black ,half -Hispanic Spider-Man last year.

Marvel made the announcement this morning on "The View" on ABC, but it has been the subject of fan speculation for some time.

Axel Alonso, the editor in chief of Marvel Entertainment, *said the storyline was developed around the time New York state legalized gay marriage in June 2011.

"The Marvel Universe has always reflected the world outside your window, so we strive to make sure our characters, relationships and stories are grounded in reality," Alonso said.

In the issue, Northstar makes his intentions known to Kyle in New York's Bryant Park, a very public place for these very private people.

"Well, private enough for a mutant celebrity - having such a public, life-changing discussion," said Marjorie Liu, who wrote the issue.

The scene shows Northstar out of costume and down on one knee with a ring in hand discussing some of* what they've*gone through*as a superhero couple.

The cover of next month's Astonishing X-Men issue 51 includes an all-star cast for Northstar's and Kyle's ceremony.

"Yes, there will be some fun guests at the wedding, but not everyone will accept the invitation," Liu said.

"DC and Marvel are recognizing that there is an LGBT audience that has been reading their comics for years," said Matt Kane, associate director of entertainment and media for GLAAD.

DC's most prominent gay characters include Batwoman, who has her own series; Apollo and Midnighter, who appear in Stormwatch; and Bunker, a member of Teen Titans.

Aside from its being socially relevant - the addition of a gay characters makes good business sense.

Archie Comics introduced a gay character in 2010, which turned out to be a hit for the company. There was even a gay wedding in Riverdale in 2011.

"They are recognizing how the world is evolving," said Kane.

Aww how progressive.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16408446

Outcast
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Half black, half mexican gay spiderman?
"We don't discriminate"

ClockHand
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Ugh Ultimate Spiderman.

Kodos
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah. Ugh. Ultimate Spiderman. How dare an imprint designed to explore new ideas and take old characters and ideas in new and exotic directions decide to explore new ideas and take old characters and ideas in new and exotic directions!

I could see objecting if Marvel-616 suddenly replaced Peter Parker with, well, anyone else. But the only two reasons to object to Ultimate Spiderman being Miles Morales rather than Peter Parker are racism and/or a gross misunderstanding of what the whole point of the Ultimate imprint is.

ClockHand
05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I just prefer new characters.

Kodos
05-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Same. But those are few and far between. I'd rather see something new, interesting, and minority-positive done with an old character concept than no new ideas at all, though.

ClockHand
05-22-2012, 10:29 PM
I do not disagree with the goal, intention or the positive feedback from it, but rather the lack of elegance on the twist of the character.

Kodos
05-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Comics aren't known for their elegance or subtlety.

Also really you have to remember that superhero comics are modern mythology. Spider-Man is not a character any more than Zeus is. Spider-Man has been written and drawn by dozens, if not hundreds, of authors and artists for literally half a century. Different writers focus on different aspects of the character. I mean, for example, consider Spider-Man's intellect. Some Marvel writers like to play up the fact that in canon Peter Parker is one of the smartest men on Earth, others don't really make much of his intellect and have him as clever but not much smarter than any other comic genius. Some authors like to focus on the wise-cracking light-hearted Spidey, others like to deal with the burden of the responsibility his powers have given him and his struggles to live as both a good man and a happy one.
There is no real character Spider-Man. Not really. Same for most comic characters. Just really X as written by Y. Some characters, like Doctor Doom, are generally written pretty consistently, while others, like Batman, have wild variance in how the author approaches them.
That is one reason why you might want to reinvent a character rather than make a new one - because that's what superhero comics generally are - constantly reinventing and reinterpreting the same cast of characters.

Now keep all that in mind, and also consider that Marvel is running a business. Introducing a new character is always a risk, let alone a minority one. Frankly I'm damn proud that Marvel did this, and the butthurt of the racists has been hilarious.

Would it be nice if we could get new minority characters and have them be accepted readily and easily into the mainstream? Yes, that would be wonderful. But it is also unlikely, and given how corporations think, extremely unlikely to even be attempted.

Plus it's kind of nice that for once people of color and latinos have an A list Marvel character who they can on some level identify with. That's nice.

I can see why you might be slightly annoyed, but the more I think about the nature of the medium and the industry, the more I think this is the best sort of way to do things right now.

Outcast
05-23-2012, 06:34 AM
The part that annoys me is it seems more like an attempt to get minority fans than an actual attempt at promoting diversity.
That's just how it feels to me maybe they are actually trying to promote diversity.

Delphinus
05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
^ "We're a business, not a LGBT rights group."

Evil_Cake
05-23-2012, 07:41 PM
who is northstar

Sylux
05-23-2012, 07:47 PM
kenshiro 2.0

Kodos
05-23-2012, 08:49 PM
The part that annoys me is it seems more like an attempt to get minority fans than an actual attempt at promoting diversity.
That's just how it feels to me maybe they are actually trying to promote diversity.
Northstar has been gay for literally decades. All that's changing is he's getting married. It's not promoting diversity. And honestly given how he originated in X-Men, IIRC, and how much that comic dealt with minority rights and civil liberties, I don't know.

Normally I'd say yeah, but in this case? I dunno. And besides, it's promoting diversity. That's what matters. I don't care why. It's nice that people of color have a superhero to identify with, and it's nice that gay people do too.

It's nice to let children know that you don't need to be a straight white man or woman to be a superhero.
Being a half-black half-latino with spider-powers is fine.
Or being a gay guy with... uh... what the fuck are even Northstar's powers? I never was big on X-Men beyond the cartoon.

Outcast
05-23-2012, 08:57 PM
You know plenty more about this than I do.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
So, the gay DC character is the original Green Lantern. In his Earth 2 incarnation anyway. They had to get rid of his son (a gay hero named Obsidian) as they aged down the GL, so they made him gay as a replacement.

zizi
06-17-2012, 06:14 PM
SUP LOSERS.

Crawling out of the very comfy pit that is the D&D threads to inform y'all that the Church of England has declared that it "cannot support the proposal to enable ―all couples, regardless of their gender,
to have a civil marriage ceremony", because "Such a move would alter the intrinsic nature of marriage".

I bring you this news not because I think same-sex marriage is the most important thing the LGBT community should be fighting for (not when three trans women of colour were murdered in April (http://tranarchism.com/2012/05/01/i-believe-that-makes-three-trans-women-murdered-this-april/) alone, not when a Black trans woman is being sent to a men's prison for daring to not allow a Nazi to murder her (http://www.transadvocate.com/have-you-heard-about-cece-mcdonald.htm)) but simply because I cannot stop laughing at the sheer audacity of the hypocrisy of the C of E.

Because allowing same-sex couples to marry would be far more disastrous for marriage than, say, divorce. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VIII_of_England)

Kodos
06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
The idea that women aren't property altered the intrinsic nature of marriage far more than anything else. Hell, legalizing bestiality and human-animal marriage would be less radical of a change to marriage than when we officially stopped seeing women as property.

Psy
06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Friends and family of two teenage girls in a same-sex relationship who were shot in the head in a South Texas park expressed shock and grief Tuesday over the incident in which one of the young women was killed and the other severely injured.
Mollie Judith Olgin, 19, and Mary Christine Chapa, 18, were found in knee-deep grass in a nature area in Portland by a couple Saturday, said Portland Police Chief Randy Wright, who confirmed to msnbc.com details first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller Times.
Full story at Msnbc.msn.com (http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/26/12419818-friends-reel-from-shooting-of-teen-lesbian-couple-in-texas?lite)

http://www.trbimg.com/img-4fea12ae/turbine/la-fi-mo-gay-pride-oreo-20120626-001/600

The image of the multi-layered Kraft cookie appears above a date – June 25 – and the word “pride.” A caption declares “Proudly support love!” The cookie isn’t available for purchase.
Of the profile’s nearly 27 million fans, more than 154,000 liked the Pride post. Not all the nearly 20,000 comments, however, were quite as supportive.
“Bye Bye OREO!,” wrote user Jeni Friedersdorf. “Why can’t companies stay neutral on such things?” A few quoted the Bible; several swore to boycott the snack.
In response came an outpouring of Oreo love. One user, Matthew Merix, wrote: “Homophobes = tacky. Kraft Foods = progressive. Cookies = AWESOME.” The debate quickly spilled onto the rest of Oreo’s Facebook profile and also onto Twitter.
Hordes of commenters pledged to buy the cookies, marketed through Kraft’s Nabisco brand, to show solidarity. That lead some users to question the company’s motives.
“What’s funny is the fact that people are congratulating ‘Oreo’ for taking this stand and ‘not caring about profits,’ wrote Facebook user Dennis Archer. “This will do nothing but cause an influx of sales, which Nabisco was well aware of.”
Other major companies have also gone public with their backing of the LGBT community. Searching for the word “gay” in Google brings up a scalloped, rainbow-colored ribbon under the search bar.
Many firms and brands, such as Bud Light, Wells Fargo, Johnson & Johnson and Coca-Cola, sponsored or sent representatives to the equal rights events scheduled around the country this past weekend.

Ironic that I won't buy Oreos because of a food allergy but they support my love.

Hayashida
06-27-2012, 02:03 AM
I wish they made oreos in those colours :ascii_uuu:

Kodos
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't. Most of those are not very appetizing colors.

Hayashida
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
dude wat

Delphinus
06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
On same-sex marriage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

Psy
07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
CNN anchor and daytime talk show host Anderson Cooper has publicly declared he’s gay.
In discussing last week’s Entertainment Weekly cover story on the emerging trend of celebrities nonchalantly coming out of the closet, Cooper revealed his sexuality to Daily Beast blogger Andrew Sullivan. Sullivan emailed Cooper about the story, noting that public figures revealing their sexuality still matters, even if many are no longer startled by the news. The 45-year-old newsman has always been private about his personal life and has long been rumored to be gay.
“We still have pastors calling for the death of gay people, bullying incidents and suicides among gay kids, and one major political party dedicated to ending the basic civil right to marry the person you love,” Sullivan wrote. “So these ‘non-events’ are still also events of a kind; and they matter. The visibility of gay people is one of the core means for our equality.”
To which Cooper responded:
Andrew, as you know, the issue you raise is one that I’ve thought about for years. Even though my job puts me in the public eye, I have tried to maintain some level of privacy in my life. Part of that has been for purely personal reasons. I think most people want some privacy for themselves and the people they are close to.
But I’ve also wanted to retain some privacy for professional reasons. Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I’ve often found myself in some very dangerous places. For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other people’s stories, and not my own. I have found that sometimes the less an interview subject knows about me, the better I can safely and effectively do my job as a journalist. …
Recently, however, I’ve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something – something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.
Read the full story at Entertaimmentweekly.com (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/02/anderson-cooper-gay/)

Delphinus
07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
A question for you guys in the US: how much prejudice do you experience on a day-to-day basis? I only rarely see any in the UK, although it does happen, but then I live in one of its most liberal parts (near Brighton, which is one of the LGBT capitals of Europe...). Hell, I'd even be interested in hearing from UK LGBTQ people who live outside the south-east.

EDIT: Also, it's insane that American Christians seem to be particularly bad, given that the core message of Christianity is supposed to be brotherly love. How on earth does the right wing manage to hijack an entire religion?

Kodos
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not a LGBTQ individual and I wouldn't presume to speak for them or their experiences but I am willing to bet that, like most issues - especially those of bigotry - it varies wildly based on what part of the country you are in. I highly doubt that the average non-heterosexual or cis person in, say, New York, experiences the same sort of amount of bigotry as one in, say, Alabama.

Rio
07-02-2012, 05:33 PM
The only reason they are considered Christian is because they believe in Jesus Christ. Other than that, the views and beliefs of each religious group is dependent on the congregations (or should I say pastors?) teachings and views. :\

Kodos
07-02-2012, 05:37 PM
The Bible is fairly consistent on homosexuality being evil FWIW. It's one of the few consistent messages in the Bible. Jesus said only two things on it, and both were fairly incomprehensible. The OT is consistent on it that it is an abomination, and Jesus did say that not a single word of the OT was to be ignored.

Outcast
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
@del: I stay in the closet to avoid that, which is fairly easy due to being attracted to women too.
However gay/homosexual is used as an insult to even straight people. I started getting called gay just because some dumbass decided he was bored.

Delphinus
07-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Which part of America do you live in? Assuming you live in America of course.

EDIT: Also I double-posted in Psalm but the religious chat should probably stay in the religion thread.

Outcast
07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
North west-ish close to the middle though (south dakota).

Psy
07-15-2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.awesomegalore.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2012/june/marriage_equality.jpg

Ok seriously I feel like this thread is to perfect because there is rarely anyone here that is opposed to or disagrees with LGBTQ rights. I may start posting what the people who hate the LGBTQ community say so everyone can see that it's still pretty bad out there.

GunZet
07-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Was that pic from an American viewpoint? Cause I noticed behavior was spelled behaviour in there. We don't often add in the extra u, especially the people that oppose things that should be givens.... Just.. something I noticed lol.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
07-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Edit: NVM, Psy pretty much posted it already.

Psy
07-24-2012, 01:18 AM
A Nebraska community is rallying in response to a violent home invasion and assault which many have alleged was an anti-gay hate crime.
The Lincoln Journal Star reports that a Lincoln woman, whose name has not been released, told police she was attacked over the weekend by three masked men who broke into her home and bound her with zip ties before carving homophobic slurs into her skin, dumping gasoline on her floor and lighting it with a match.
Immediately following the assault, the woman, who is in her 30s, managed to walk to a neighbor's home to get help, friend Erin Thompson told the Omaha World-Herald. Thompson confirmed that the victim is a lesbian and also noted that three anti-gay epithets, including the word "dyke," were carved on the woman’s arms and stomach. Other friends told local ABC news affilate KLKN-TV that anti-gay slurs were also found spraypainted throughout the woman's basement.
Though investigators said it was too early to determine whether or not the assault was a hate crime, a local lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights organization nonetheless said in a statement that officials have "full faith" in police efforts.

Full article at the huffingtonpost.com (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/07/23/gay-nebraska-woman-anti-gay-hate-crime-_n_1695257.html)

Like really tho? To early to call it a hate crime? Really?

Lucy
07-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Full article at the huffingtonpost.com (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/07/23/gay-nebraska-woman-anti-gay-hate-crime-_n_1695257.html)

Like really tho? To early to call it a hate crime? Really?Yeah I mean come on Hitler wasn't an anti-semite, it's just a coincidence that lots of people he killed were jews, seriously. Honestly I find that kind of ridiculous. It's political correctness gone mad, I tell you!

jubeh
08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
This popped up in my buddhism feed.

Taiwan holds first same-sex Buddhist wedding. (http://www.thejournal.ie/taiwan-same-sex-buddhist-wedding-556816-Aug2012/)

AlmanacnamedTime
09-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a serious question. Please read the whole post before trying to formulate an opinion.

People rail on and on about equal marriage rights in America, but there already are equal marriage rights. Even if you don't love or even feel attracted to someone you can marry them. So if the word "Marriage" is defined a "two people of opposite gender who decide to live their lives together." then that would follow that a homosexual could still marry the opposite sex. Really my question is does the term matter so much as the end result? America's legal system has always added new terms on to the current list, so unless there was precedent for it in US history, wouldn't marriage just remain as is and a new term created to fit the needs of the populace.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be insulting to anyone with the above.

Psy
09-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I think it's sad that there are people who marry for convienence rather than love. There are women and men, straight mind you, that marry because he wants a nice piece and she wants money. No love at all and both are fine with it.
How is that a marriage? If you marry some one that doesn't love you what's the point? If its "just a word" to you and a reminder to me that I am less of a human being than you are, why are you allowed to marry who ever you feel like but I'm not?
No hostility is intentional on my part btw.
Please read

What is marriage?

Marriage is a unique legal status conferred by and recognized by governments all over the world. It brings with it a host of reciprocal obligations, rights and protections. It is also a cultural institution. No other word has that power and no other status can provide that protection.

Married couples have 1,138 federal rights, protections and responsibilities such as:

Social Security benefits upon death, disability or retirement of spouse, as well as benefits for minor children.
Family and Medical Leave protections to care for a new child or a sick or injured family member
Workers' Compensation protections for the family of a worker injured on the job
Access to COBRA insurance benefits so the family doesn't lose health insurance when one spouse is laid off
ERISA (Employee Retirement Income Security Act) protections such as the ability to leave a pension, other than Social Security, to your spouse
Exemptions from penalties on IRA and pension rollovers
Exemptions from estate taxes when a spouse dies
Exemptions from federal income taxes on spouse's health insurance
The right to visit a sick or injured loved one, have a say in life and death matters during hospitalization.
What is a civil union?

A civil union is a legal status granted by a state. The State of Vermont created civil unions in 2000. It provides legal protection to couples at the state law level, but omits federal protections, as well as the dignity, clarity, security and power of the word "marriage".

Civil unions are different from civil marriage and that difference has wide-ranging implications that make the two institutions unequal, such as:

Portability:
Marriages are respected state to state for all purposes but questions remain as to how civil unions will be treated in other states. The two appellate courts that have addressed the issue in Connecticut and Georgia have disregarded them based on the fact that their own states do not grant civil unions.

Federal Benefits:
According to a 1997 General Accounting Office report, civil marriage brings with it at least 1,049 legal protections and responsibilities from the federal government alone. Civil unions bring none of these critical legal protections.
Filling Out Forms:
Every day we fill out forms that ask us whether we are married, single, divorced or widowed. People joined in a civil union do not fit in any of those categories. People with civil unions should be able to identify themselves as a single family unit yet misrepresenting oneself on official documents can be considered fraud and can carry potential serious criminal penalties.

Separate and Unequal—Second Class Status:
Even if there were no substantive differences in the way the law treated marriages and civil unions, the fact that a civil union remains a separate status only for gay people represents real and powerful inequality. The United States Constitution requires legal equality for all. Including lesbian and gay couples within existing marriage laws in is the fairest and simplest thing to do.

Ending a Civil Union:
If you are married, you can get divorced in any state in which you are a resident. But if states continue to disregard civil unions, there is no way to end the relationship other than establishing residency in Vermont and filing for dissolution there. This has already created problems for couples who now have no way to terminate their legal agreement.
Equal Marriage Now (http://www.now.org/issues/marriage/marriage_unions.html)

So yes it's a simple matter of getting married but what person would want it that way?
It's like being forced into an arranged marriage.

AlmanacnamedTime
09-06-2012, 12:08 PM
No, I'm not talking about using Civil Unions, I'm saying why not propose a new term in which the only difference is that it's a homosexual relationship rather than a heterosexual one?

Psy
09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Because its still making lgbtq people second class citizens. We want the same rights not special ones. If it means the same as a marriage then why not use the word marriage?
It's not the word that matters it'd the rights privileges and responsibilities it represents that we want but we are being denied.
Even if it was called an Asscracker they wouldn't want us to have it because two people of the same gender with the same rights as everyone else is disgusting and unnatural to the religious world.

There is no need to make a connection between the word marriage and any church because no marriage is legal in te united states without a certificate from the state. No religious connection or intervention is needed but 90&#37; of the argument against same sex marriage is religious based.

AlmanacnamedTime
09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Because its still making lgbtq people second class citizens. We want the same rights not special ones. If it means the same as a marriage then why not use the word marriage?
It's not the word that matters it'd the rights privileges and responsibilities it represents that we want but we are being denied.
Even if it was called an Asscracker they wouldn't want us to have it because two people of the same gender with the same rights as everyone else is disgusting and unnatural to the religious world.

I'm trying to talk about the rights and privileges. Truthfully I couldn't care less if two girls decided they wanted to live together forever. It just seems that it's the darn word that everyone gets hung up on in the end. Really it seems that humanity's aversion to whatever they see that's new is getting in the way of just living peacefully.

There is no need to make a connection between the word marriage and any church because no marriage is legal in te united states without a certificate from the state. No religious connection or intervention is needed but 90&#37; of the argument against same sex marriage is religious based.

Which is why it's flawed. Ether marriage should be decided by whichever religion is marrying the couple(or if not then the judge, captain, or other person who can marry people), or the government should define marriage in a concrete way and go off that.

Really what I'm saying is why not just let bigoted people say "marriage is only betwwen two people of the opposite gender", and "(insert new [respectful] term here) is betwwen two people of the same sex." both would have equal rights and privileges, but just different legal terms.

Kodos
09-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm trying to talk about the rights and privileges. Truthfully I couldn't care less if two girls decided they wanted to live together forever. It just seems that it's the darn word that everyone gets hung up on in the end.[quote]
People should not need to compromise to appease the unreasonable issues of bigots.

[quote]Really it seems that humanity's aversion to whatever they see that's new is getting in the way of just living peacefully.
It's not aversion to new things. Just to the lessening of privilege. Anything that adds to the privilege of heterosexual people is fine.

Which is why it's flawed. Ether marriage should be decided by whichever religion is marrying the couple(or if not then the judge, captain, or other person who can marry people), or the government should define marriage in a concrete way and go off that.
Marriage is a non-religious institution these days. If it was otherwise, then the government should not recognize any marriages.

Really what I'm saying is why not just let bigoted people say "marriage is only betwwen two people of the opposite gender", and "(insert new [respectful] term here) is betwwen two people of the same sex." both would have equal rights and privileges, but just different legal terms.
Because bigoted people need to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the dark ages. Society should not be held back by them. Compromise is something that should be done when there are two reasonable but incompatible proposals for how to deal with a situation, not when one position is completely incorrect and no ground to stand on.

Compromise is for adults. You don't compromise with unreasonable children.

AlmanacnamedTime
09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
^This made the most sense.

Marriage is a non-religious institution these days. If it was otherwise, then the government should not recognize any marriages.

What I was saying was either religion should control it, or it should be secular in all but ceremony.

Psy
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
That's right I'm at it again.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/877948/thumbs/o-SALVATION-ARMY-VOUCHER-570.jpg?4

With the holiday shopping season in full swing, the Salvation Army's Red Kettle campaign is once again coming under intense scrutiny from lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights advocates.
America Blog is asking LGBT shoppers and allies to give downloadable "vouchers" to Salvation Army bell ringers in lieu of cash in an effort to let the organization know that "bigotry is not a Christmas value," according to blogger John Aravosis.
"The Salvation Army discriminates against gay people, and discriminating donors should find another charity this Christmas than evangelical bigots who advocate against our civil rights," Aravosis writes. "And not just that –- they’ve actively lobbied against pro-gay policies in a number of countries as well."
Check out the printable voucher below, then scroll down to keep reading:

Of course, it isn't the first time the Salvation Army's conservative view of homosexuality has been brought to attention. "The Salvation Army has a history of active discrimination against gays and lesbians. While you might think you're helping the hungry and homeless by dropping a few dollars in the bright red buckets, not everyone can share in the donations," Bil Browning noted on The Bilerico Project last year. "The organization also has a record of actively lobbying governments worldwide for anti-gay policies -- including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal."
Indeed, as Browning pointed out, the group's position statements reveal a somewhat rigid outlook on LGBT lifestyles. "Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex," one statement reads. "The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life. There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage."
Earlier this year, an Australian Salvation Army official sparked international controversy after he implied in an interview that LGBT people should be put to death, noting that it was "a part of our belief system."
"You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief," Major Anthony Craibe said in the interview. You can listen to audio, courtesy of Truth Wins Out's John Becker, below:

Salvation Army spokesman Major Bruce Harmer then quickly released a statement distancing the organization from Craibe's "extremely regrettable" remarks, noting that members do "not believe, and would never endorse, a view that homosexual activity should result in any form of physical punishment."
Harmer went on to note: "The Salvation Army believes in the sanctity of all human life and believes it would be inconsistent with Christian teaching to call for anyone to be put to death. We consider every person to be of infinite value, and each life a gift from God to be cherished, nurtured and preserved."

Article source (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/11/26/salvation-army-gay-rights-voucher_n_2192085.html)

Instead of putting your pocket change in the kettle outside the mall, why don’t you give one of these inclusive organizations a try:

Goodwill – doing much of the same work the Salvation Army does, but also focusing on the disabled and unemployed.
The Ali Forney Center - providing shelter for homeless LGBT youth in New York City
True Colors Residence – Cyndi Lauper’s new shelter for homeless LGBT Youth
Doctors Without Borders – providing medical and emergency relief all over the world
Urban Peaks – assistance for homeless LGBT youth in Colorado.

Psy
02-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Anyone ever notice how many anti gay statements are made by people playing video games? You hear everything from "fag" to "dick sucker" being yelled out.
I watch some people play online through twitch and even YouTube and found a few favorites to watch. I've started to notice that most of them continuously use these statements when angry to express disgust at losing, to another player, or to lord their greatness over other players/the game. So now I'm not sure I want to keep watching any of them.

It's just a word. Just about everyone says that! That's not the point!
If you called some one a "mother fucker" 9/10 people would get mad about it even if you said it was just what people say and that's not what it actually means. You can call some one a "bitch" and mean it very lighthearted and funny. Not everyone will know that though. It doesn't change the original meaning just because that's not how you meant it.

"Everyone says shit like that." WRONG! I try and refrain from saying things that I know are under most circumstances insults. It's not me trying to be super nice or overly PC. I just want what I say to have a clear meaning to it. I don't want people to sit there and second guess what I say.

It was said in anger. So gay people make you angry?
Just because I said fag doesn't mean I think they are gay. So what are you calling them then because "fag" is something that is associated with gays.
Fag is like an asshole or someone you don't like or think is a piece of shit. I . . . . Wow.
It doesn't mean anything. So why say it then? You can't think of something else scathingly witty to insult them with?

Words are MEANT to have power and meaning! Otherwise there would be no point in them! The words faggot and gay are used to describe people as undesirable and disgusting. Bitch and cunt are often used in the same manner. so society is saying that the two most disgusting things to possibly be is a woman or some one of the LGBTQ community. its not just guys who say it either. there are plenty of women out there saying these things and I have to wonder if they realize how much intolerance they are spreading.

Would it be accepted if I were to go around saying that things I think are boring and lame are "straight"? No it wouldn't because its placing all other sexualities above the straight one and saying it is inferior in some way. Of course I of all people would see that this is a problem but I don't know how there are so many people out there that don't or even encourage this hate by actively using derogatory statements.
Is it to much to ask for people to step back and evaluate what they are ACTUALLY saying and putting out there? Why try tearing everyone else down? Are these people so unhappy that they feel no one else deserves a chance at happiness and a little bit of peace?

Again it's not that it's every single gamer or person out there saying these things it just seems to be a habit that a lot of them have with no real reason as for why.

Sylux
02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
As a YouTube LP'er, I try NOT to use offensive language in some of my videos, but as a teenaged boy it is often difficult. In my Mass Effect and Vindictus videos I tend to apologize profusely for using offensive slang and slipping outrageously contended words out, and try to explain myself for it so I don't lose viewers (not like it matters at this point with my 10 subscribers). I let myself slip in my Halo videos, shouting profanities at the top of my lungs and like a super-saiyan 4 sailor fusion ha, but even in those if I catch myself saying something overly offensive I will apologize. Most of the time it's far too lengthy (like when I'm trying to explain how when I say rape I don't mean sexual rape but instead loot and pillage and rape kind of rape). Usually, when I let the word faggot slip I attribute it to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

I'm not saying it's right at all. I'm trying to limit my usage of gay and faggot by replacing them with less offensive words like "stupid as shit" and "motherfucker." Keep in mind, it is something I picked up from my peers without even realizing it. I never used the word faggot when I was younger. That's because I never harbored any hateful sentiment against gay folk; my cousin is gay, my uncle is gay, and I used to go to quite possibly the best and largest homosexual-populated school in the country. I'm not saying it's ridiculous, but it was ridiculous. But over time, kids around me started using it more and more, then I got used to it, and before you know it, now I'm using it. It's used so often that I didn't even realize I really used that word myself anymore until I started doing Let's Plays. It's rooted so deeply, I think, in some people's minds that they're often unaware at its usage. I know it is for me, and I especially haven't picked it up recently. I literally have zero social life; I never ever ever leave my house except for maybe once a month now.

Black_Shaggie
02-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Marriage is supposed to be a union of two PEOPLE under "God" and community. Though it doesn't really state that they can't be of the same gender in any religious tome I've read. There's the argument that marriage is solely for the purpose of procreation but, the way I figure is that in this modern world, people get married for legal reasons & not to make babies. Seeing that the need to procreate isn't such a priority for most these days, I see no reason why two people of the same sex couldn't marry & combine their resources too.

My mom was gay & she loved my godmother very very much. In fact, if my pops wasn't such a pimp, I might not even be here. When they divorced, my godmother lived with us & then with my mom until she died. I never understood why they couldn't get married. And honestly, were I raised by my pops I'd more than likely wouldn't be as openminded about a whole lot of things right now.

Also, just to play the devil's advocate here, discrimination is something that I think all races, religions, genders, & sexual preferences or whatever...suffer from. While I feel that this stupid seeing that humankind's supposed to be so advanced in this new day and age, I can also understand that everyone will not simply put away these prejudices overnight. I hate that you can't really approach the argument passively either , to stoop to their level just makes one as ignorant as they are.

There are power in words...and I try my best to not offend anyone I cross paths with (My bus driver was running early today & I called him a rat bastard for making me run & five minutes later I was apologizing to the guy. No bad karma for Shagg!). People all over the world just don't get how what they say is like a ripple effect that can touch many people.

Until people realize that...dumb asses will exist.

Kodos
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Marriage is supposed to be a union of two PEOPLE under "God" and community. Though it doesn't really state that they can't be of the same gender in any religious tome I've read.
You need to read the Bible more. It says that homosexual behavior is an abomination unto the Lord and that those guilty of it ought to be killed for it.

Marriage is not supposed to be anything. What marriage is changes as culture changes. In most societies - in fact pretty much every society I am aware of - marriage originated as more or less a business transaction wherein, when you strip it of all the religious trappings, a father sells his daughter to her husband. Women were - and often still are - property in most societies, and marriage was essentially a business transaction designed to bring families together and transfer goods from one to the other. That is the context of Biblical marriage, as well, and exactly why you find stuff like the solution to rape being to marry the victim to her rapist and pay the father - because the crime was not that of rape of a woman, but of theft from the father. The rapist, in raping the woman, stole something from the father.

That is the classic context of marriage. Any sort of culture that does not consider women the property of their husband or father is not a culture that is practicing traditional marriage.

There's the argument that marriage is solely for the purpose of procreation but, the way I figure is that in this modern world, people get married for legal reasons & not to make babies. Seeing that the need to procreate isn't such a priority for most these days, I see no reason why two people of the same sex couldn't marry & combine their resources too.
The way I see it, modern marriage serves two primary purposes; legal and social. The legal purpose of marriage is that most modern nations offer married couples some manner of legal/economic benefits/aids/considerations and thus it makes sense from a practical standpoint to get married. After all, if you are in a horrible accident, you probably want your spouse to have legal rights regarding notification and deciding your treatment if you yourself are unable. The legal benefits and purposes of marriage are pretty obvious and don't need much discussion.
The social aspect of marriage is a bit more complex. And I don't even mean the religious value. Humans are showy things. We are. And especially when it comes to love. When you're in love, you know, you want the whole world to know. That's part of what being in love, really being in love, is. You just want other people to know. And that, I think, is also part of why marriage is important, socially, and why even atheist couples tend to have ceremonies. It's fun and part of our nature as social animals. When we want to spend the rest of our lives with someone, we tend to want the world to know. We want to make a big damn show out of it, invite family and loved ones over, and make them watch how in love we are as we exchange promises.
So basically I'd argue the modern purpose of marriage, at least in mainstream Western culture, is to confer legal recognition and benefits, and to have a bit of pageantry.

Not really directing this at you, in particular, Shaggie, I just think it's important. We often have discussions about marriage - and traditional marriage - without really thinking about what these terms mean/historically have meant. And it's important, I think. Especially since it goes to show how divorced modern marriage is from anything resembling traditional marriage or religion. Also, another thing worth considering, if one is to argue that marriage is a religious, rather than secular, institution, then one must accept the argument then that the United States government no longer confer benefits on married couples and no longer regulates or records marriages because of the first amendment. If marriage is a purely religious institution, rather than something that religion has co-opted, then it is not the domain of the government.

Black_Shaggie
02-18-2013, 03:08 PM
No offense taken & you're right. I do need the Bible (again) more. I've been reading the Lotus Sutra in these recent years. I see your point too. You could transpose religion with say...a special code or philosphy& still reach the same conclusions I suppose. I totally agree with you dude. Sometimes its difficult for me to find the correct words or semantics. When one really looks at the modern union of marriage. REALLY examines it, there's still no way to logically justify why same sex marriage is wrong.

Alfalfa
03-19-2013, 11:13 PM
I'll tell you why there's so many anti-gay slurs: It says in The Bible that "Men shall not lay with men" and "Women shall not lay with women". The hatred you see towards people like you is god's holy spirit at work. In the past four years, the gay population has been reduced by fifteen percent!

Religion's on the rise, and homosexuality's on the fall. Pretty soon you'll be back where you belong.
http://img2.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/106/2101699/C350/stoning-causes-of-death-photo-u2.jpg

Sylux
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Well if that's how you feel.

Alfalfa
03-19-2013, 11:29 PM
It's how god feels, and you'd do well to listen to him. He made us, and he has the right to tell us what to do.

Sylux
03-19-2013, 11:30 PM
I bet you're probably Christian.

Alfalfa
03-19-2013, 11:53 PM
"Christian" is a word that was invented by defeatists and blasphemers.

But I'm a worshiper of Christ, if that's what you mean.

Sylux
03-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Well then we have nothing more to discuss. Yeshua was not the Messiah. He was not Adonai's true intended son to wash us of our sins.

Alfalfa
03-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I can't tell if you're a Jew or a Muslim or what.

Either way, everything god said pointed towards Jesus being the true savior. READ THE BIBLE.

Sylux
03-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm one of God's chosen people. It should be obvious that I am Jewish because of what I call "Jesus" and "G-d." Their names are Yeshua and Y-hweh. If you're going to try to pump "Read the Bible!" garbage on me, at least try to be halfway competent and learn the real names of the deities you worship. Everything you say points to Yeshua as the Messiah was not commanded by Adonai to be written. Only the Old Testament may stand.

bojo
03-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Like my daddy said, "there are all kinds of people in this world, niggers, kikes, spicks, sand niggers, faggots, retards, dikes, chinks, and slanties. but only white are the pure and righteous."

and i agree.

now we have a nigger in the white house trying to take all our freedoms and make us all faggots,

kids don't need to think being a fagot is ok, because it's fucking not!

Alfalfa
03-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks, brother. It's good to see there's still some decent men in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever since Martin Looter Coon became famous this country's been going to hell.

bojo
03-20-2013, 12:25 AM
well while all the fags are in hell, i will gladly meet you at the gates of heaven and shake your hand.

HEIL HITLER!

jubeh
03-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Remember to report trolls, guys.

Sylux
03-20-2013, 12:36 AM
I was having fun with these (?) ones.

Psy
03-20-2013, 01:55 AM
I'll tell you why there's so many anti-gay slurs: It says in The Bible that "Men shall not lay with men" and "Women shall not lay with women". The hatred you see towards people like you is god's holy spirit at work. In the past four years, the gay population has been reduced by fifteen percent!

Religion's on the rise, and homosexuality's on the fall. Pretty soon you'll be back where you belong.
http://img2.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/106/2101699/C350/stoning-causes-of-death-photo-u2.jpg

So you are saying that god encourages the hatred and harm of gays? The people that he supposedly created and regards as his children he wishes to punish? Where exactly will I and the people like me be soon exactly? I've only ever been here so any info would be great.

Kodos
03-20-2013, 02:07 AM
In fairness, God does create some people explicitly to send them to Hell. Omniscience and all that. It's even brought up in the NT. Also Calvinism/Predetermination and all that.

So, anyway, the new pope was almost Turkson, a cardinal who supported the Ghana 'kill the gays' bill. Instead we got the war criminal. Not sure if that's better or worse.

Sylux
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I never even got to pull out my Yeshua was a Jew guns

Black_Shaggie
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM
This is for Fenn who said:

"I am often troubled by my status as a White male. On one hand I am considered a member of the priveledged class and have certain unwritten advantages over others in areas such as job interviews and the legal process. On the other hand I at times feel looked upon with spite even though I never wished or purposely caused the inequalities between races. It's quite a conundrum. How can I contribute to racial equality when I am afraid the common response I will get from either side is "STFU whitey."?"

The solution is simple. Don't apologize for being who you are or where you came from. We all have 'certain unwritten advantages & disadvantages'. If you're sure of your own personal lack of cause in the inequalities that exist between races, then don't feel guilty about them. The best way for any of us to contribute to racial equality lies in treating each individual person as just that, an individual. Sure, we all have different characteristics that make us unique & race happens to be one of them. No need to dwell upon that one particular characteristic though.

If someone says "STFU whitey", to you...you should retort with "Hey FU you rat-batstard (or something to that effect)!" But do so with confidence & without devolving to their level. You CAN argue with another person without bringing race into it & if they do...so what? You know who you are & that's all that matters anyways."

Something I said from an old thread Cype started.

It's kind of the same argument here isn't it? Furthermore, what does race REALLY have to do with any of this? Everyone's not [INPUT RELIGIOUS BELIEF HERE] why would you use your faith here as a reason why slurs against sexual orientation are wrong or justified or whatever? I know, I know. A lot of you will find reasons to justify why I'm wrong in this (actually I misquoted some Christian doctrine earlier in this thread myself...) &, I'm not saying you can not be justified either. But this is really some backwards thinking about this issue IMO. I sure some religion give a fuck who you chose as a life partner & everyone's religion (wether the think so or otherwise) is not the end all for salvation of the soul.

I'm just saying that the use of slurs isn't justifiable by any means. Of course, I'm sure many of you disagree...and you're entitled to do so. Doesn't mean you're right though...

alienninja
04-26-2013, 08:24 AM
I've been recently label with gender identity issues. Not sure if that means I don't know my gender or a new analysis which comes to the lgbt community. I am a male btw.

Aether
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
I just don't understand why people are so against sexuality that differs from the norm. It's not like you're being forced to watch it or anything, people just need to mind their own business in my opinion.

Plus, what really fucking pisses me off is how a straight couple are considered more 'fit' to raise a child than gay couples are, purely because of sexual orientation. Sexual orientation shouldn't come into consideration at all.