PDA

View Full Version : What comic/manga are you reading?

ClockHand
12-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah, post in here what comic/manga are you reading, what do you think about it, and if you would recommend it or not.

Hayashida
12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I started re-reading Scott Pilgrim recently. I'm not going at it at the pace I did before, so it will probably take me a while to get through it. If I find something else though, I will probably read that before finishing SP again. I want to read Beck, but a lot of scanlation sites are down.

Rio
12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Right now, I'm trying to catch up with tons of One Piece chapters. I've got a long way to go (I'm in the 300's).

Anyways, if you like adventure, fights, lots of characters, laughs, drama, and all that good stuff, then this is a very epic series you should follow.

ClockHand
12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm reading Sprite, is a new manga, that has only a few chapters released, but it look kinda cool in this few chapters. Even so, some dialogues and characters are kinda boring, and you might think this story is the typical "epic event with no explanation"... but it has only few chapters, so I'm going to keep reading when the others come out.

Blue_Dragon
12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I just got done reading Mugen Spiral and was sadly disappointed. I mean, I really think it sucked.

I'm gearing up to read I think Bride of the Water God (actually manhwa, but does it count?) or Dogs. Has anyone read them? Am I wasting my time? Dogs looked really interesting, what with the fancy covers and all.

Psy
12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Allot of the manga's i was reading have disappeared suddenly or arent updating at all(scanlators probably got shut down/got scared when OneManga bit the dust?). I was Reading Zombie-Loan (It messed with my head and i liked that) and now i cant even find the old chapters. Maybe i will have to go actually buy them then i guess.

Ceta
12-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Currently waiting on volume 2 of The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki. It's pretty good, but it's a little hard to recommend because it's a spin-off manga. If you haven't read the Suzumiya Haruhi book/manga series or watched the anime, most especially The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya storyline, then you might not get into The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki as much. (I could be wrong, though.)

In the meantime, (when not reading books) I've been passing the time by reading Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. (One of my personal favorites. Although a little on the dark side, it's really funny.)

DemonKaiser93
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Well finished reading Beck (It's a really good manga, kinda long but I recomended) ,yesterday I finished reading Scott Pilgrim (100% recommended), now I'm reading Neon Genesis Evangelion: Gakuen Datenroku(Cool retelling of the story but without the mechas)gives kinda Shin MegaTen Persona-ish feel.So if you didn't like either Persona or Neon Genesis Evangelion it's not the manga for you, in the other hand, if you loved them(like me) then read it its a good manga.

DemonKaiser93
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I almost forgot, High School of the Dead its also a good manga

Hayashida
12-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Just to let you know, Andrew, instead of double posting, you should edit your previous post instead. Maybe you should read over the rules if you haven't already.

Psycho_Despair
12-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I am reading my new Jan issue of Shonen Jump, I am liking Psyren a lot

gilbertado
12-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Right now, I'm read D. Gray-Man, Death Note and Afro Samurai. They are all really good, but I would recommend D. Gray-Man out of all of them.

butternut
12-06-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm Currently reading Skip Beat!. though it's shoujo and has a predictable and cliched story, it's got some really awesome characters (especially the protagonist) and its damn funny!! Its interesting to see how different people react to the situations, and its enjoyable. Some parts (usually the main character's thinking) really crack me up!
I like action with a bit of emotional content type manga. Any suggestions?
(P.S. I like death note, bleach, kaze no stigma, inu yasha, detective school q, ultra maniac etc etc...u get the idea ;)

thejoshin8r1
12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I am currently reading Inuyasha. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! Read it. lol

Umber_the_kid
12-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Currently waiting on volume 2 of The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki. It's pretty good, but it's a little hard to recommend because it's a spin-off manga. If you haven't read the Suzumiya Haruhi book/manga series or watched the anime, most especially The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya storyline, then you might not get into The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki as much. (I could be wrong, though.)

In the meantime, (when not reading books) I've been passing the time by reading Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. (One of my personal favorites. Although a little on the dark side, it's really funny.)

Good manga! I'm actually working on collecting. As for me, I just finished the newest volumes of Otomen and D.Gray-Man and am working on Curse of the Wendigo, Red Pyramid, and Rise of the Huntress.

Rio
12-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Phew! I finally finished reading One Piece up to the present chapter. I gotta say that it's truly one of the best manga's out there from characters, background, and just the detail of everything.

I like action with a bit of emotional content type manga. Any suggestions?
(P.S. I like death note, bleach, kaze no stigma, inu yasha, detective school q, ultra maniac etc etc...u get the idea ;)

Try reading Beauty Pop, Crimson Hero and Kare Kano.

I am currently reading Inuyasha. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! Read it. lol

Inu Yasha is good. I really got to read that series properly - I tend to see bits and pieces of the anime. xD

butternut
12-16-2010, 03:27 AM
@Rio i watched the anime Kare Kano, and didn't find it as exciting. i'll try Crimson Hero. Thanks for the suggestions though! :)
I was always curious about One Piece, but everytime i think of starting it i get scared looking at the number of volumes, or episodes in case of the anime!i'm already stuck somewhere half way already with Bleach, FMA and Naruto, and i don't want to start another massive series or else i'm not going to do anything else!

Rio
12-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Reading One Piece is actually pretty fast. Reading it right now when there's a lot to read is actually the best, imo. You don't have to wait every week for the next chapter plus it's easier to read each arc since the story is read seamlessly instead of waiting each week to find what happens next (it makes it feel disjointed, in other words). Give it a try!

Black_rose
12-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Naruto I'm up to date, One piece i'm around the 200's

Rubisko
12-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Haha, Rio! The wonderful thing about One Piece is that while waiting for the next weeks chapter you can always re-read some old adventure XD

Anyway, a friend told me I should try to read a manga called "7 seeds". Won't start until I've finished my exams but I'll let you know what it's like sooon. Anyone read it?

Rio
12-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Never even heard of it but then there's a lot of manga out there.

LVUER
01-07-2011, 04:34 AM
7 seeds, post-apocalypse manga. I've read several chapters... until the monsters comes out, and then I stop reading it.

Right now, I'm reading Kurohime. A good manga with nice graphics, lots of gunslinging and cool magic action, though nearing the end, the plot is a mess... for the sake of plot twist, I think... a shame, really...

butternut
01-07-2011, 05:46 AM
i just started One Piece! i just hope not to get consumed in it and get into an OCD-like state. xD

Rio
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Wow, go for it Saphira! If you're like me, you may become bored with One Piece after an X amount of Chapters. At this time, walk away from the series and take a break before going back into it. It's worth continuing imo.

Regantor
01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Being looking for it for yonks, but finally found some of Brian Wood's Channel Zero in a comic store.

Gritty, hackerlicious, and alot more cyberpunk than I was expecting... Let's just hope I can find the rest! x_x

alxsmpgmr
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
i just started One Piece! i just hope not to get consumed in it and get into an OCD-like state. xD

lmao, thats what happened to me. i stayed up till midnight almost every night for like a month reading it on mobile mangafox XD
OCD to the extreme.

butternut
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow, go for it Saphira! If you're like me, you may become bored with One Piece after an X amount of Chapters. At this time, walk away from the series and take a break before going back into it. It's worth continuing imo.

Yes yes!Thank you!

lmao, thats what happened to me. i stayed up till midnight almost every night for like a month reading it on mobile mangafox XD
OCD to the extreme.

I know.I completed Naruto (which at that time was around 468 chapters) in a week. I did nothing except read read read! And then waiting for a week to be up to date was the worst. I didn't read it for a long time and caught up with it later..anyway..

I suggest Nodame Cantabile too. One of the Sweetest I've ever read!

alxsmpgmr
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
lol. i'll start that one tonight XD
just kidding. i'll start it this afternoon. what's it about?

butternut
01-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Nodame Cantabile - about classical music. About 2 people : one a brilliant hard-worker and perfectionist who wants to become a conductor, and another an extremely talented pianist who is disorganized, messy, and wants to become a kindergarten teacher.Both study at the same conservatory. Well, read the manga. Or i think i'll let out all the spoilers!

alxsmpgmr
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
lol. sounds like fun. i'll jump into it after school.

Byakuran
02-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Guys i've been reading ' Liar Game ' and i really like it ... 2 bad they stopped scanlating or something >_< i so want to know what happens.... it reminds me a bit of death note... but different maaan i want more chapters :<

Outcast
02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Deadman Wonderland

It is glorious.

Blue_Dragon
02-07-2011, 04:35 AM
When I get time, I'm reading Ooku, Which is pretty good. I haven't gotten too far in yet.

M3S1H
02-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Bakuman, but it is AWFUL, and I mean AWFUL, waiting for the next chapter to come out...so while I wait for the next chapter, I'm reading Soul Eater.

Byakuran
02-07-2011, 08:48 AM
So i found out Liar Game just took a break... they scanlated everything ... so now waiting for a new volume . - .

I'm hoping for more like Akiyama x Nao <3333 and the mask guys totally dig nao i can feel it... xD

Regantor
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Deadman Wonderland

It is glorious.

Amen to that. :3

Rio
02-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I got my hands on some of Osamu Tezuka's works - Black Jack (thumbs up), Phoenix (starts kinda predictable and corny but turns out interesting in the end); Metropolis (couldn't stand it).

butternut
02-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Current ones i'm reading: Bakuman, One-piece, occasionally Cromartie (all suggestions from this thread ^^)
And how's .hack// ? I watched like few episodes long long time ago, and i really like the sound tracks..how's the story?? I'll start that as soon as i complete one of the current ones i'm reading.

jubeh
02-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Don't worrry about .hack just keep reading cromartie

butternut
02-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Okay. I shall ask again when it comes to an end..

jubeh
02-09-2011, 01:50 AM
After you are done reading cromartie you should watch the anime.

butternut
02-09-2011, 01:53 AM
That would probably be a little hard, but i'll try.

jubeh
02-09-2011, 01:54 AM
After you finish the anime you should know there is also a live action film.

butternut
02-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Whaaaa?? a movie? hmm. As i said, I'll try.
Bit torrent is blocked here at school. any alternatives? also, i should mention that the speed sucks.

Hayashida
02-09-2011, 02:12 AM
The movie was on youtube dubbed at one point but I don't know if it's still on.

Son44
02-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Just finished reading Nausica&#228; of the Valley of the Wind (the manga, which is 10000x times better than the movie) and im about to read anothe Scott Mccloud book

Rio
02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree that the Nausicaa manga's are great. They have so much more details than what happens in the movie. But I have some issues with the ending but I guess the ending isn't really concrete and more a part of the legend of Nausicaa. Which Scott McCloud book are you reading? I like his first two books the best though I think I'll re-read his third book. Usually, it takes at least two reads to take in everything.

Tom_Gunn
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm not currently reading anything, I've only read 3 manga before and the first two were both of the same series.

I'm afraid of ordering or buying manga because my parents might think I'm weird. I live under a rock. Sort of a curse you might say.

Reset
02-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I 100&#37; recomended: Monster, Pluto, 20 Century Boys, 21 Century Boys, Change 123, Ashura, Bloody Monday, Naruto, and One Piece

Son44
02-11-2011, 07:15 AM
I agree that the Nausicaa manga's are great. They have so much more details than what happens in the movie. But I have some issues with the ending but I guess the ending isn't really concrete and more a part of the legend of Nausicaa. Which Scott McCloud book are you reading? I like his first two books the best though I think I'll re-read his third book. Usually, it takes at least two reads to take in everything.

I'm going to start on the last one: "making comics".

Yeah, the ending was a bit dissapointing in one way... I wanted to see more

Dark_Deception
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
IBITSU, I don't know if I would recommend it yet <.<

GunZet
02-12-2011, 02:02 AM
The last Warhammer book I started reading (Palace of the Plague Lord) turned out to suck pretty hard so I stopped reading it...seeing as though I got a bunch for Christmas, I am now reading another.

Warhammer Empire in Chaos By: Anthony Reynolds....wayyy better, I may be addicted to it lol.

Regantor
02-12-2011, 07:12 AM
The last Warhammer book I started reading (Palace of the Plague Lord) turned out to suck pretty hard so I stopped reading it...seeing as though I got a bunch for Christmas, I am now reading another.

Warhammer Empire in Chaos By: Anthony Reynolds....wayyy better, I may be addicted to it lol.

Read any of the 40k-based stuff? Gaunt's Ghosts (Dan Abnett) and the Soul Drinker trilogy (Ben Counter) in perticular are delicious.

I agree that the Nausicaa manga's are great. They have so much more details than what happens in the movie. But I have some issues with the ending but I guess the ending isn't really concrete and more a part of the legend of Nausicaa.

Read a decent chunk of this, but not all. Too bad there isn't really a legitimate way of getting these were I live... The world really needs more Dieselpunk, it's just too bad that Miyazaki's newer works don't really keep it up. >_>

newosan
02-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Right now I'm reading one piece, reborn, scott pilgrim, infinite stratos and that's pretty much itOne piece just started my god there is a lot 2 read of it and reborn i have 2 wait for ages for one chapter 2 come out anyone else reading this stuff?

GunZet
02-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Read any of the 40k-based stuff? Gaunt's Ghosts (Dan Abnett) and the Soul Drinker trilogy (Ben Counter) in perticular are delicious.

Read a decent chunk of this, but not all. Too bad there isn't really a legitimate way of getting these were I live... The world really needs more Dieselpunk, it's just too bad that Miyazaki's newer works don't really keep it up. >_>

I'd prefer reading the 40k series...if I felt like getting up and finding some lol.

Rio
02-13-2011, 11:09 PM
@ Son44
Yeah, I wanted more as well but I guess that's where fanfics and fanworks come into the picture...

Read a decent chunk of this, but not all. Too bad there isn't really a legitimate way of getting these were I live... The world really needs more Dieselpunk, it's just too bad that Miyazaki's newer works don't really keep it up. >_>He has some smattering of dieselpunk here and there but not completely... Laputa and Howl's Moving Castle come to mind.

Right now I'm reading one piece, reborn, scott pilgrim, infinite stratos and that's pretty much itOne piece just started my god there is a lot 2 read of it and reborn i have 2 wait for ages for one chapter 2 come out anyone else reading this stuff?Yup! Quite a number here read One Piece and KHR.

Regantor
02-14-2011, 04:58 PM
He has some smattering of dieselpunk here and there but not completely... Laputa and Howl's Moving Castle come to mind.

Certainaly; Porco Rosso and Lupin III totally count aswell...

I just mean that none of his other works really go for it full-on like he does in his early art books, which are complete with things like WWII german pigs and all sorts of marvelous made-up aircraft carriers and mega tanks and other gizmos... I understand he's become a total pacifist since, so I guess that's fair enough... but it still would have been nice if somebody else took up the banner. :3

Rio
02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Maybe you should take it up Regantor if you love it that much. C:

Btw, speaking of Porco Rosso, I heard that Miyazaki is considering making the sequel. I'll look for the news article about it...

[UPDATE 2/16/2011]
Found it! It's here (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-22/miyazaki-considers-porco-rosso-film-sequel). It won't be an official Ghibli film. Miyazaki is simply considering it as a hobby.

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 02:12 AM
I haven't watched Porco Rosso yet. Would you recommend it?

... On another note, I'm finding a webcomic called Spinnerette (http://www.krakowstudios.com/spinnerette/issues/) to be totally awesome. It's like mangas meet Marvel Comics, and the approach makes it really different from Spidey too.

GunZet
02-15-2011, 02:32 AM
I like that webcomic. It reminds me mostly of that one version of spiderman who didn't quite mutate right...so he got 6 arms lol.

edit: http://www.krakowstudios.com/spinnerette/2010/04/02/04022010/
Oh...wow wut? lmao

Byakuran
02-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Deadman Wonderland

It is glorious.

Amen to that. :3

Hey guys was i the only one thinking she was actually naked the whole time D: ? srsly

Sylux
02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm reading this book idk what it's called tho cuz I'm illiterate O_o

Hamachi
02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
lolwut?

Trying out a new webcomic called Drowtales: Moonless Age (http://www.drowtales.com/). It's pretty good.

Blue_Dragon
03-07-2011, 06:03 AM
I've been going through this series called Ooku: The Inner Chambers. It's pretty awesome.

It's about gender role reversals in Japan after a disease kills the majority of men in the Tokugawa era. It's got elements of comedy, but it also deals with some interesting points of view on how women would rule a country, and how it would differ from the male dominated society of samurai warriors.

It's also interesting how she deals with different events that happened historically: like why Japan became isolated from the rest of the world, and other things of that nature. If anyone's into jyosei, you should give it a read: it's refreshing after reading so many shounen and shojo...(though I still like those genres, too.)

This isn't really necromancing a thread, is it? Since I had some new input? I won't get banned or warned will I?

Outcast
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey guys was i the only one thinking she was actually naked the whole time D: ? srsly

Pervert.

And yes you were the only one.

jubeh
03-07-2011, 05:37 PM
It's about gender role reversals in Japan after a disease kills the majority of men in the Tokugawa era. It's got elements of comedy, but it also deals with some interesting points of view on how women would rule a country, and how it would differ from the male dominated society of samurai warriors.

Hm that sounds a lot like y the last man I will check it out.

This isn't really necromancing a thread, is it? Since I had some new input? I won't get banned or warned will I?

Banned

Blue_Dragon
03-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not really banned, right?

Y the Last Man is AWESOME! I read a couple volumes of it on campus, but haven't gotten to finish it. Those women are scary! The women in this one aren't so crazy as the ones in Y.

Evil_Cake
03-13-2011, 06:18 PM
billy bat

jubeh
03-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I read a little bit of billy bat. It was pretty trippy.

Hamachi
03-13-2011, 06:57 PM
EDIT:
http://i.imgur.com/fFE2c.jpg

Pip pip, cheerio!
Would you mind giving me a spot of tea good sir?
Nothing happened here. Move along now. Eheheheheh...
:cat_whistle:

jubeh
03-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I can't read portuguese but I really hope that's not a link to the comic because that would be a really stupid thing to post.

Hamachi
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM
What Portugese thing Jubeh? Are you sure you're feeling all right?

Too keep this comment from being a spam thread, I just found out today that Ultimate Spiderman is Awesome.

ClockHand
03-14-2011, 01:22 AM
I read a little bit of billy bat. It was pretty trippy.

We should make a thread fo billy bat (I have been following from the first day and is fucking awesome.

Also, I'm finishing Ex Machina.

Hamachi
03-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Although I'm 4 years late, I just finished Madame Mirage. Wasn't expecting too much, but it turned out to be bloody brilliant.

Magnitude-Ten
03-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Fairy Tail is a current favorite of mine. The artwork style seems like a pleasant blend of One Piece, Naruto and Bleach - something I very much favor. Given the skill of Hiro Mashima's assistants, they are all very on par with one another in a good way.

I have an unread copy of Ghost In The Shell on my desk...I have been planning to open it since last week. Pity that I'm so busy.

Byakuran
03-24-2011, 11:05 AM
i'm reading this adult manga right now, Wolf Guy

In the beginning it wasn't like adultish so i continued reading it and i have to admit some parts are really gross OTL, i didn't know it was that bad... (im just glad that aren't any penises drawn >_>)

But other parts are cool though... i think the main concept of the story is cool tho :/

Arashi500
04-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm reading Read or Die. Pretty awesome, and a really similair art style as Hellsing.

ClockHand
04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I read The Oath ~ Doc. Strange. Wrote by B. K. Vaughan.

Byakuran
04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Im reading Knite (http://yuumei.deviantart.com/gallery/24250483), it's really moving imo ;A; it's on dA kinda of a webcomic but its going to get published i hear :D!

Sylux
04-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Spider-Girl. Awww yeah. B)

Renzokuken
04-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Bleach... >.>

Sylux
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Bleach used to be good. Then came Aizen's insurrection.

Renzokuken
04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah but I'll never be satisfied unless I see to the end, now.

Rio
04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
If it ends at all.

KakashiTheSharingan
04-23-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm Reading Naruto :D

ClockHand
04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm reading Siddoh. If you like samurais, cults and assassins read it.

Noodlesoup
04-26-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm reading Jellyfish Princess, and actually enjoying it so far. It's funny, quite cute and the main character is adorkable. XD It's the
first manga I've read in a looooong time and I have to say, I've missed the crazy world of shojo!

Sylux
04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Yeah but I'll never be satisfied unless I see to the end, now.

"Bleach will continue for 10 more years."
-Tite Kubo

LVUER
04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
It depends on the fans. As long as fans want it (I mean lots of fans), Bleach will be there. if no one want it anymore, no matter how Tite-sensei want it, no more Bleach... unless Tite-sensei funds it himself.

Outcast
04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Tite-sensei?

Sylux
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
It depends on the fans. As long as fans want it (I mean lots of fans), Bleach will be there. if no one want it anymore, no matter how Tite-sensei want it, no more Bleach... unless Tite-sensei funds it himself.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/12/19/tite-kubo-ill-keep-bleach-going-for-at-least-10-years/ (NSFW)

LVUER
04-27-2011, 03:51 AM
Oh, it just one of the polite form of calling someone in Japanese. Mangaka (or comic author) is often called ***-sensei in Japanese.

Outcast
04-27-2011, 06:18 PM
We're not japanese, are we?

Sylux
04-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I am turning Japanese, if that counts.

Outcast
04-27-2011, 09:34 PM
...The fuck?

Hayashida
04-28-2011, 02:09 AM
I think I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
doo do da doot doot doot doo
Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
doo do da doot doot doot do da dooo

LVUER
04-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Geezzz, stop making a fuss over a small thing. I'm just being polite and call Tite Kubo with Tite-sensei (I believe it has nothing to do with being Japanese or not). Just like you guys, who live in US, sometimes feels comfortable when called with Mr.*** or Ms.*** (it really happens, my native English teacher is like that). So I end up call him with his first name, which is extremely rude in our culture. But he asked it so...

ClockHand
04-28-2011, 10:26 AM
You are not part of that culture, and neither us. But we do are part of the culture of Mr./Ms. (these ones are used for married people, not older people).

The mr., ms., sir, lady, etc. Have been dying a long time ago in occidental culture.

mhao005
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
i first read an adult manga..because our boss has a lot of adult mangas..hehehe!

Sylux
04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
You are not part of that culture, and neither us. But we do are part of the culture of Mr./Ms. (these ones are used for married people, not older people).

The mr., ms., sir, lady, etc. Have been dying a long time ago in occidental culture.
No, we still use Mr., Ms., and Mrs. here in the US very, very frequently. It's almost unheard of to call seniority figures of 20+ years by their first name, and it is thought of as too familiar to state one's last name alone (so it's only for coaches or teachers to use in addressing their players/students).

ClockHand
04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
In here at least those are not used any more, people like to be refereed to them by their names. Might it be because of this that people see us as a more friendly culture, because we behave with everyone in the same "friendly" way.

Sylux
04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey, we're only unfriendly in the northeast. ):<

Evil_Cake
04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
what

LVUER
04-28-2011, 08:19 PM

Believe it or not, our culture is very similar to Japan's. Perhaps it's a coincidence, perhaps it's because they invaded us in the past... And we have strong ties with Japan too. And like I said, it's not something to do with being the part of Japanese culture or not, it's more like respecting that culture.

FYI, in my culture, you address people older than you, or the elder, or the person that "higher" than you with Sir or add Mr/Ms/Mrs in front of his/her first name. Very similar to Japanese culture/way of adding -san, -kun, -sensei behind their last (or first if they are close) name.

Rio
04-28-2011, 08:46 PM
FYI, in my culture, you address people older than you, or the elder, or the person that "higher" than you with Sir or add Mr/Ms/Mrs in front of his/her first name. Very similar to Japanese culture/way of adding -san, -kun, -sensei behind their last (or first if they are close) name.
There are other countries that have that kind of titular respect though so you're not the only one. And I'm not talking about other Asian countries either.

LVUER
04-28-2011, 09:56 PM
I know. That's why I find it pretty strange that they make a big fuss over it...

mhao_005
04-30-2011, 05:07 AM
i am currently reading naruto shippuden

LVUER
04-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Right now I'm into Shanao Yoshitsune Genpei War. I get bored waiting for the latest Freezing and Needless chapters...

ClockHand
04-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Devilman. It's incredible violent, at the point that the father of the character tell to the kids that they need to fight (for no reason) and there is a girl who get exited with violence (and she carry a knife).

hibari
05-04-2011, 10:15 AM
i'm reading KHR and Bleach...
good manga i think, eventhought they have a so much series (like bleach 530 series by now)...... :D

LVUER
05-04-2011, 10:18 PM
What is KHR?

ClockHand
05-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Katekyo Hitman Reborn.

MiguelAndrew
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Me too, One Piece is Epic! I just started reading it last 4 months ago and now I'm waiting for the latest chapter and I can't wait.haha

Also I read Beck(music),Initial D(race cars),Death Note,Bakuman, and Fairy Tail.:cat_yawn:

BozeSG
05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I started to read trigun.

Byakuran
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Daddy Long Legs, the manwha...

Awesome plot twists... if you love romatic drama twists this is the story for you.

Delphinus
05-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Just starting to read Ichi The Killer. I heard it was pretty violent, so I thought: why not?

Sylux
05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Watch the movies, they're really great.

jubeh
05-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Wait movies plural. You actually liked that godawful prequel.

Sylux
05-26-2011, 09:23 PM
It made me all hot and bothered, actually.

Matt
05-27-2011, 09:43 AM
I started reading Banana no Nana, or Nana's Banana (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/banana_no_nana/). It's a loli/moe manga about a girl named Nana who has banana-based superpowers. It's cute and has lots of fights with swords, kicks, and bananas.

Arashi500
05-28-2011, 04:42 AM
I decided to read Shinigami to Chocolate Parfait recently, and I was surprised how good it was. Pretty ecchi-less shounen romantic comedy thats mildly funny and short (20 chapters) bu pretty enjoyable, if predictable.

LVUER
05-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Just reading Ao no Exorcist and after that School Rumble. I won't describe those manga since I bet most people here already know about them (I'm the one who slow at catching up with good manga).

wolfman
06-12-2011, 05:35 AM
im reading stray DOGS

Hamachi
06-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Although I love mangas as much as the next guy I'm reading lots of Western comics atm.

We3 by Grant Morrison
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI_yh8yAYaeBVCEHqVkrFmclKdiPFnf s1YMJ6tTAG6YIJZ_4RD

And Batman: Hush
http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/2/3/2339_180x270.jpg

were my most recent highlights.

jubeh
06-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Grant morrison is the best holy shit.

Batman: Hush is the worst oh my god.

BozeSG
06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
I thought i'd do the impossible and catch up with detective conan, ive read 130 chaps for now...

also im catching up with zetman too, the shit's awesome...

Rio
06-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I thought i'd do the impossible and catch up with detective conan, ive read 130 chaps for now...I salute you should you catch up to the series Boze.

BozeSG
06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I CAN DO THIS :monkey_taichi:

Kokoro_Hane
06-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Wow, I've been reading ALOT since my friend has lended me some of her manga. Anyway, so of the manga I am currently following are; Fullmetal Alchemist (up to vol.6), Higurashi: When They Cry (starting the Abudcted by Demons arc), Natsume's Book of Friends (on volume 2), Tegami Bachi (up to vol.2), Sakura-Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura (volume 1), and Kimi Ni Todoke (started on vol.6).

BozeSG
06-30-2011, 04:26 PM
caught up with Gamaran and Yotsuba&!, i'm still trying to read conan and i'm at 180 now, the problem with it is that it's full of dialogues so it takes more time to read comparedto others and knowing it's 782 chaps... i think it'll take a whole year for me to catch up...:cat_exasperated:
anyway, Yotsuba&! is really good, i recommend everyone to read it...

LVUER
07-01-2011, 12:55 AM
caught up with Gamaran and Yotsuba&!, i'm still trying to read conan and i'm at 180 now, the problem with it is that it's full of dialogues so it takes more time to read comparedto others and knowing it's 782 chaps... i think it'll take a whole year for me to catch up...:cat_exasperated:
anyway, Yotsuba&! is really good, i recommend everyone to read it...

Yotsuba& (>o<) I love that Danboard. I'm in the middle of making 1:1 scale Danboard.

BozeSG
07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Yotsuba& (>o<) I love that Danboard. I'm in the middle of making 1:1 scale Danboard.
does it accept coins?:cat_lol:

Right now im reading Dorohedoro, it's becoming one of my favourite mangas...

Byakuran
07-11-2011, 06:20 PM
SHIAWASE KISSA SANCHOUME ENDED. AFTER A YEAR OF FOLLOWING.

ram
07-13-2011, 04:41 AM
cage of eden, gantz, hayate no gotoku, the world god only knows and zippy ziggy..
their all still ongoing so i'm still waiting for any new release ....

LVUER
07-13-2011, 05:12 AM
does it accept coins?:cat_lol:
Of course, it's a must ^_^ Just need to make a hole for coins. And the eyes could glow!

BozeSG
07-21-2011, 07:39 PM
i started reading ST&RS and Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa, they're two new shounen jump titles. harisugawa is from Mx0's author but it just doesn't seem as unique and good. but ST&RS is really promising, i really enjoyed it and i recommend anyone to check it out (only two chapters are out right now)

Black_Shaggie
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm stuck in the 80's & I don't care....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ec/Lone_Wolf_manga.jpg/230px-Lone_Wolf_manga.jpg

...is probally the best manga that I've read. Screw the crappy movie that came out (unless you like samurai flicks)...Kazuo Koike & Goseki Kojima made a period masterpiece with this one in my opinion. Goseki Kojima's style is so loose...it seemed like he was drawing everything with a turinp pen with no pencil framework at all. Freehand. I was in awe of how this style conveyed Kazuo Koike's dark writing style that portayed the pained yet stoic Ogami Itto & his innocent (but surpisingly deadly) son Diagoro.

Lone Wolf and Cub chronicles the story of Ogami Ittō, the Shogun's executioner who uses a dōtanuki battle sword. Disgraced by false accusations from the Yagyū clan, he is forced to take the path of the assassin. Along with his three-year-old son, Daigorō, they seek revenge on the Yagyū clan and are known as "Lone Wolf and Cub".

I've bought several copies over the years & I keep one in my nightstand drawer. Read this manga.:cat_wahaha:

jubeh
07-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Screw the crappy movie that came out

Are you on drugs

Black_Shaggie
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
No. I really like this book dude. You can say what you like...but I really really do. It's one of the book sthat inspired me to do manga in the first place. Everything doesn't have to be polished to perfection you know. I think the art style & the writing compliment one another & that's why I keep a copy.

Yes the movie is a cult classic, but it doesn't compare to the manga at all.

I also have a lot of Gunnm & Old Appleseeds lying around too pal.

jubeh
07-26-2011, 05:07 PM
The movies are amazing winners dont do drugs

Black_Shaggie
07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
lol

Ozzaharwood
07-27-2011, 12:29 AM
My first manga bought today, and it's "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Volume 1." I loved the series and I have a feeling I'll like the manga even better since it's actually in order. Now to see what my family will have to say when they find out... T_____T

http://173.203.28.159/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/haruhi_1.gif

jaidurn
07-27-2011, 05:06 AM
I'm reading Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I will forever be reading it.

greenfox212
07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
i just finished black cat. it was fairly good. but it got kinda boring after a little while. still i endured to the end.

it was about a 3.5 out of 5