PDA

View Full Version : Making Comics: Question's

ClockHand
01-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Ok, I have some questions.

What size should I use in photoshop for a page?

What resolution should I use in photoshop for a page?

What size should have if I'm going to upload it to the internet?

Nyarlathotep
01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
The actual aspect ratio (i.e., width versus height) can be whatever you want, but most people seem to like the A4 standard, which is about 8.5 wide, 11 inches tall... honestly, though, you can generally do whatever the hell you want if you're just going to post it on the Internet. I generally do about 3:4 width:height myself.

Whether you're drawing it digitally or scanning it in, you should always try and make the actual resolution as high as possible - it really sucks running out of resolution and having to resort to pixel art =)

My one caution is that if you try and tone stuff with pre-made patterns at your uber-resolution, once you scale down to a sensible size for uploading the page, your pattern will get shrunk into a pixelized mess. So, if you're using toning, wait till you've downsized.

As for resizing to release on the internet: In the scanlation community, pages over 850 px wide are considered 'HQ' and generally desirable - you don't necessarily need to go that far, but I'd say 850 is a decent upper bound. Here on MT, the page will stretch after about 650px, so, since I resize to 750x1000 with my pages, I get stretching. Whee!

Rio
02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Have you checked out this article I made? All About Manga Paper (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/news/all-about-manga-paper/). I mention the sizes there but it's only for the Japanese manga sizes. If you're looking into publishing for someone else, like an indie publisher - then you're better off just checking their specifications because it changes per company.

For example, Yen Press (http://www.yenpress.com/new-talent-search/) previously asked for pages that are 7 inches wide by 10-3/8 inches tall while Tokyopop's (http://www.tokyopop.com/ugc/tokyopop/uploads/RSOM/RSOMMechGuideUK.pdf) is around 7"x4.5" for their standard size.

When you go to new, go to the sizes, make sure you choose inches (or whatever measurement you prefer), then type in the amount in the width and height that are specified. It's best to have a resolution of at least 300 DPI since that's usually the minimum for printing something on paper. As for uploading to the internet, you can use pixel measurements and you can make the size any way you want. It's the internet after all but normally, good-sized pages are around 1500 pixels high. Width can vary since there are 2-page spreads at times. Make sure you save the quality of the image on high/maximum or 100.

ClockHand
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Mmm... I see, the problem is that I don't think someone would want to publish my comics.

Evil_Cake
02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
then follow ur heart

Rio
02-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Go the digital publishing route and just publish digital comics then. You can sign up for SmackJeeves or any of the other free online comics hosting websites out there.

ClockHand
02-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah, the problem is that I might need to become less lazy xD.

I don't know, if I finish this first chapter I might see whats going on in the future. But I'm pretty sure one day I might need some way to make a comic (i made) in the material world and not just digital.