PDA

View Full Version : GD: Obsolete?

Sylux
03-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I've noticed that the state of threads posted in the General Discussion section of the board doesn't usually maintain its integrity past the first few posts. It's become increasingly obvious that, despite our sizable active userbase, the forum member simply don't care about serious discussion to keep threads from derailing within the first page. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule, but the fact remains that the one rule of the GD (Stay the hell on topic!) just doesn't stick throughout the threads as it used to. We could chalk it up to leniency on behalf of the moderators, but let's face it. Mods probably only want to enforce the rules if the majority agrees that it's necessary to adhere to the guidelines. Otherwise, when the majority agrees that cutting up and cracking jokes is the best course for the thread, they just don't really seem to give a damn.

Let's not get mistaken here, though, I'm not pinning the blame on the moderators, nor am I pinning it on the users. I truly believe that we've come to a point where we've run out of material to discuss. We all know each other well enough to feel comfortable joking around in a serious thread, and we've gone through enough content to keep debate teams arguing for months. Add to that the fact that many of us share very similar interests, and your field of discussion narrows. I feel like we've plunged through that narrow discussion range. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we've gone through everything known to man; that's absolutely ridiculous. I can't remember the last time we had a Mathematical Statistics thread or a post containing advanced formulas regarding black holes and cosmic dream-wonders, but none of us on here are really interested in all that. This is, at its purest, a social forum consisting of users who signed up for a.) promise of untold fortunes and/or b.) they fancy themselves an artist or an "otaku."

In conclusion, I do believe that ground has been firmly established in areas that pertain to common interests in the community and requires no further significant exploration or indulgence of these matters and issues. The General Discussions section has served its purpose, and it has served it well, but aside from the must-stay-on-topic threads such as WYLL and GB discusssion, it it no longer necessary as an integral part or attracting feature of the forum. The GD, in my humble opinion, is dead.

jubeh
03-27-2013, 08:06 PM
We're not your english teacher you don't need to write so obnoxiously here. Also its a habit you should break before college anyway.

We need a place for topics that can be talked about seriously where spamming isn't allowed. It's really as simple as that. Even if it's never used ever again in a million years it needs to exist for those that would need it in a million and one years.

Hayashida
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
I truly believe that we've come to a point where we've run out of material to discuss.

ahaha oh wait are you serious

Celestial-Fox
03-27-2013, 08:19 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly in that topics actually do stay on topic for a good time if there's enough material to talk about. In short, GD threads that ask a yes/no question don't last long, whereas more open-ended ones do.

Matt
03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
There will always be new stuff to talk about.

Some really old classical musician once thought we'd run out of melodies. We're still making songs.

jubeh
03-27-2013, 10:38 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly in that topics actually do stay on topic for a good time if there's enough material to talk about. In short, GD threads that ask a yes/no question don't last long, whereas more open-ended ones do.

Number one rule of conversation and selling

There will always be new stuff to talk about.

Some really old classical musician once thought we'd run out of melodies. We're still making songs.

We have run out of melodies for the most part we just have different ways of dressing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Matt
03-27-2013, 11:03 PM
We have run out of melodies for the most part we just have different ways of dressing them.
Kind of.

http://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14799.0;attach=148 15
http://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14799.0;attach=148 17
http://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14799.0;attach=148 19

Admittedly, this is an example of getting off-topic.

jubeh
03-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Man I know music theory I took two awful semesters with a doctor of music who was a 50 year old virgin who refused to play the sad song at the end of the hulk for me.

@OP: This is discussion. It's what the forum is for.

Hayashida
03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
who refused to play the sad song at the end of the hulk for me.

man what... what a dick

Sylux
03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
^This is what I mean

jubeh
03-28-2013, 03:16 PM
So you want is for me to enforce the rules so strictly that you can't even attempt to make a witty comment without being shut down. So you want MT to be like it was before I became a mod where your thread got locked if you veered slightly off-topic. Wait excuse me what you wan't is to destroy the GD because it doesn't meet these expectations.

GunZet
03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Don't bring back Jubeh v.2011, nobody wants that.

Sylux
03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
No, I like it. But some other mods still try to enforce it. I just want the GD to be accepted as more like the Chatterbox.

GunZet
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Except if we accept it more as the chatterbox, what's the point of having both of them? lol.

Sylux
03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Well I guess the point is for it to exist in a million and one years. But till then it's Chatterbox 2.0

GunZet
03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Jackie, would you kindly explain to this man how I feel right now?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq8McfSzWN6eUmbil4UWfnR0frIIS7w PSsj04l0BzRqOBc21Zb

Thank you.

Celestial-Fox
03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
I think it's funny that this thread was spawned by a GD conversation in which you, Sylux, were doing a poor job conversing. Have you ever tried talking to someone, but they were so terse, so unresponsive, so awkward that you couldn't continue on?

That's what you did to that thread, Sylux. The way you treat others makes them want to avoid taking you seriously, which veers things away from staying on-topic in discussion. It's easier to get you ruffed up and get a laugh than actually converse and get a good point out of you, since the latter is ridiculously more difficult than the former. The way you interact with others contributes to your illustration of Chatterbox 2.0. Don't act like it's everyone else's fault here, because it's not.

Now that I sound all mean or whatever, I'm going to go take a shower. Sorry I couldn't sound nicer, but I've noticed sometimes you need people to wrangle you in for you to actually listen.

Sylux
03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Uh, sorry I guess? I can be serious, sorry if I haven't acted like it.

Linz
03-28-2013, 07:35 PM
I cant agree with seefy enough, i really cant. Point set and match right there, thank you seef for writing something i couldnt find the right words to say. The general discussion is absolutely fine. There are always things to discuss, the only thing thats missing nowadays is people posting topics TO discuss. We need a more serious section, not everything is a joke. I may be one of the few left who think that the GD should be policed better but not so strict that you cant write witty comments. Theres a difference between a related witty comment and a total thread derailment. Why does it always have to be the extremes with you guys? Cant we have a happy middle? I dont see why thatd be so hard.

Celestial-Fox
03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I really didn't mean to bust down the door of this thread and chew you out, Sy, so I' sorry for that. But I do think that some self-evaluation could help you a little bit. I think the GD is rather fine. Yeah, we get off-topic sometimes, but if we all stay accountable to each other, the problem will resolve itself. The GD has enough going for it at the moment that it's pretty much the only place I participate in lately, so surely all is not lost.

Psy
03-31-2013, 04:04 PM
I lurk and mod from afar but I am still here watching what happens.
I will bust you or give you a chance to get back on topic with out handing out infractions.

I don't know why everything in the GD is 100% OMG BRING YOUR RESEARCH OR GO HOME!!! When there is really nothing saying that all threads in the GD have to be like that. You can make a happy thread with a positive attitude that blues the lines if the GD and CB. Like a thread about why are people such suckers for puppies? It's ridiculous but if you are being serious and you want ONLY replies about why puppies are the best then I don't see why it can't stay here.
The thread needs to be about something you actually want to talk about and not just have content thrown in because its random. The replies need to have something to do with the thread. If you post a picture or a video don't just say "relevant to thread." because half the time it's relevant to an off topic post in the thread.
The topic of the thread can't change at whim. If there is a theme then that is fine and you may be topic jumping because there may be multiple aspects of that theme. By theme I mean like how we had the Science thread the psalm thread, the lgbtq thread. All of those were a central topic but they all cover a wide area to talk about because they are vast subjects with multiple interpretations and views.
You can make a thread for news story's you have heard and want to discuss. Like the girl who was or will be flogged to death because she was raped (which is fucked up btw) can get its own thread OR it would qualify for the psalm thread because she's being punished for ridiculous religious views (my personal view anyhow).

If you aren't sure if it can go here or would be a good thread to discuss you can ask me or other members. You can even just post it here and we can move it if needed. You will usually be given a chance to turn it into a discussion before I close or move a thread elsewhere.

Also be mindful of the other categories we have of MT like video games and anime sections. A thread about Bioshock would be best in the video game section. A thread about the health risks of playing video games could go here or the video games section IMO.

Aether
04-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Does anyone else notice the irony in this thread.

I mean, come on. It's right there and no-one has commented on it.

I personally find it amusing.