PDA

View Full Version : What is your profession?

Linz
03-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Hey guys!

A lil thread just to discuss what we all do for a living! Are you a student, if so what are you studying/what do you hope to be? Do you already work, if so where and doing what?

I'll start <:
Surprisingly, I work in a Primary school. (Elementary for you Americans) I'm a teaching assistant and I work part time. My job is so laid back, it's awesome. Basically i'm paid to sit and draw/do crafts with kids for a living. The politics of a school between the staff wear me down sometimes. I'm the youngest by about 20 years and instantly that makes me 'less experienced and a little girl'. I never knew how political a school is, and it actually disgusts me to think these people are teaching our kids of tomorrow. So in August i'm going back to study to be a Teacher <:

Your turn!!

GunZet
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm a student, major is graphic design. I'm working towards a career as a concept artist, though I'm working numerous skills at once (personal art/ concept art, graphic design, traditional design)

I've also been a teaching assistant with a teacher I bonded with back in 2008. I've been going there helping the students with 3D sculpting programs such as Zbrush and Sculptris for two years. I stopped this year, as I was 'promoted' to Chairman of the art committee at the school, I don't even have to do much, lol.

Psy
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I work two part time jobs so i basically work full time.

My first job is a part time packer in a factory. I work PC (potato chips) and the job I do involves packing the correct amount of bags into boxes, labeling, product quality ensurence (which includes eating chips to make sure its the right product in the right bag and tastes how it should), checking for bag defects so product doesnt stale before its exp date, cleaning machinery that delivers the chips to the bagging machines to prevent cross contaminaton of allergens, plus other stuff that is more related to safety of the factory and the other workers. the job is fun and there is pretty much constant work. standing for 7hrs and having to bend twist push with a majority of your body gets exhausting though. have to stretch and make sure I am being as ergonomically safe as possible at all times because ive seen how bad it can get with back injurys and carpel tunnel.

My second job is a retail store job. I clean the floors so its safe to shop, i restock merch so people can find what they need, i stock new product, customer service, and cashiering. Retail is easy as long as you arent held to a personal sales quota. Customers complain even though my store is a single price point retailer that our prices are ridiculous. Moving up is a hassle and not worth it to me anymore. I keep this one for now because i am pn probation for my first job still and i have health insurance through this second job. its not good insurance but its something.

Once i pass the probation period for my first job i will be quitting my second.

I would like to go back to school but idk what for.

jubeh
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
HAUH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIr8u0j08gU

Wait nvm salesman

Sylux
03-21-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm a full time bum. Oh wait no I'm working on a survival horror game project with one of the dudes who worked on Dishonored and another guy who's super boss at making uber leet environments and another guy who's expressing interest in composing for us (did part of the score for SWTOR at BioWare).

Black_Shaggie
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm a Sign Tech for Goodwill. Basically I do large format printing (signage, vehicle wraps;etc...) projects from start to finish. I get to design, lay out, take the job to pre-press, print, do the production/ assembly and install on site. We do internal jobs & outside work as well. The external jobs are awesome because I get to do more graphic design. It was the best design gig I could get (so far) without a degree.

I also do about 2 or 3 analog game illustrations a year on a 'mercenary' contract. The company I merc. for is budding, but I've done a few card designs & one awesome board game design. The shelved the cards, but plan on putting the board game into production soon (I hope). I've also did a comic to promote the card game that got shelved. It sucked though because they wouldn't let me do manga. I like working with them because I'm getting exp & my name out there to other gaming companies. Plus they hooked me up with a sweet PC, pay for my Adobe CS & all the supplies I need to do my illustrations. Except that damn tablet I want...

Oh yeah, I'm 1st Disciple of Ryozenpakai! No wait. I mean to say, my Ma Family Wu Style Taiji Chuan school. I get free acupuncture treatments & about $90 to $200 a month for the one class I teach weekly.All of my advanced students are big time upity ups: 3 district attorneys, a judge, another retired DA, a retired child psychologist, 3 dudes who write frickin code for big corps. & one guys who's head of CIGNA dental insurance in middle TN.

Sylux
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
omg kenichi reference r u my daddy

Black_Shaggie
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM
omg kenichi reference r u my daddy
Hey, that's one of my favorite shows dude. I dig how Kenichi 'evolves' as a martial artist & doesn't even realize how hardcore he is. Plus MA street fighting gangs of delinquent teenagers? It's a flashback to my youth...

Matt
03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
I trim bushes and wash cars at an airport, write campaigns for a friend's D&D thing, and I'm currently applying for a job as an editor.

Evil_Cake
03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
i drive busses

Hayashida
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
for real?

N_Top
03-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Student studying Computer Science, Music, and maybe Physics and Astronomy... but probably not because I hate doing lab reports for physics.

After college I'll hopefully work for SpaceX and make rockets go Vroom. Or work somewhere doing computer graphics - be it an animation studio or video game company - but that depends on how much I like my graphics course next spring.

Evil_Cake
03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
for real?
naw

Sylux
03-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Wtf why would u lie in a GD thread man wth

corastaur
03-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Student studying psychology with a possible minor in visual arts (if i can pull off the rest of the requirements next quarter).

After college... is a good question. I'm considering a lot of things, possibly grad school but who knows. I need at least a year off from school after this =_=

Celestial-Fox
03-22-2013, 02:57 AM
> Profession: Copy edits newspapers (up to 20 hours per week)
> Volunteer: Webmaster/designer for informational website (10-20 hours per week)
> University focus: Bachelor's in premedical biology, certificate in applied ethics, and minor in women's and gender studies (full-time)
> Intended profession: Plastic surgeon specialized in craniofacial trauma (non-cosmetic)

scanten71-402san
03-22-2013, 05:08 AM
私は学校が卒業しました。今年には、大学に入ります。

N_Top
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
私は学校が卒業しました。今年には、大学に入ります。
(spoiled for language)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr6scujCCK1r2jkz6o1_500.gif

And I forgot about grad school, I'm probably going to do that before I go work somewhere. I just need to decide if I should do the cheap and fast program at my current school, or go somewhere out of state like UW, Stanford, UT Austin, CMU, or something and spend all of the money.

Sylux
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Good news guys I finally saw Pulp Fiction last week for the first time

Linz
03-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Can I remind you that this is a General Discussion thread, Sylux. :u

JJJorgie
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Still just in high school, but I'll get my first "real" job this summer lifeguarding.

N_Top
03-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Good news guys I finally saw Pulp Fiction last week for the first time

It's a great movie. Also:
The sword that Butch (Bruce Willis) gets from the pawn shop is probably the Hattori Hanzo sword that Budd pawned off in Kill Bill. And the fox force five story that Mia (Uma Thurman) tells in the diner scene is the plot of Kill Bill. The end

And back on topic, JJ being a life guard should be fun. Just don't get skin cancer, because that's not fun.

JJJorgie
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks, N_Top! I hope so. And, I'll definitely try to avoid cancer as much as possible. Not sure if the places I'm applying at have umbrellas at the stands, though, which would suck. :/

N_Top
03-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Just take the net used to clean the pool and spear a small child to the end of it, you can use that to shade yourself from the sun :D

JJJorgie
03-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Good plan!! Thanks!

Demonfyre
03-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Current/Major; Microbiology/Medical Student
Side/Minor; Japanese Language Student
Other side/minor thing I get to do; Medical anatomy study

Celestial-Fox
03-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Are you in med school now?

Demonfyre
03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Are you in med school now?

I'm getting the option, I was originally (and still am) working on a degree in microbiology and medical applications to get into some form of microbiological specialization if I qualify as a Doctor five years down the line. But recently with GP work starting to slip towards redundancy and an interest in Dentistry growing as well, it's starting to look doubtful, but of course I will need to spend most of my summer getting work experience for Dentistry before I decide such stuff.

How far are you into becoming a surgeon by the way? Sounds like a pretty interesting area of science to go into, being able to work with building the aesthetics and vanity of others :)

Lucifer
03-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Currently: Physics and mathematics major, and unemployed... :(

Blue_Dragon
03-24-2013, 02:27 AM
You'd think someone with a math and physics background could find something! Good luck, man!

I just now, after like 3 years after graduating college, got a job as an "Office Associate" at a college. It's frickin' awesome! It's in the Nursing Department, and everyone's really nice. I still clean a bit on the side, and I hope to do Living History again this summer (I love living history.)

Also do commissions (sometimes) on the side. And have a website that's a business wanna be.

BunnyVoid
03-24-2013, 03:58 AM
i'm a landscape architect's assistant :) did stop architecture school for a while now to focus on the job...
its a very demanding job that's why i'm almost not here in mt anymore... but its the best and a lot of fun :)
we get to build stuff and apply art and science at the same time.
i get to use my innate ocd to dive on details while having access to sophisticated software and equipment...
also get to travel to different locations for site inspections and meetings :)

hi all i miss you :) glad to see what you guys do :)
i wish you all success in your field of interest

Celestial-Fox
03-26-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm getting the option, I was originally (and still am) working on a degree in microbiology and medical applications to get into some form of microbiological specialization if I qualify as a Doctor five years down the line. But recently with GP work starting to slip towards redundancy and an interest in Dentistry growing as well, it's starting to look doubtful, but of course I will need to spend most of my summer getting work experience for Dentistry before I decide such stuff.

How far are you into becoming a surgeon by the way? Sounds like a pretty interesting area of science to go into, being able to work with building the aesthetics and vanity of others :)
Oh, cool! I'm just working on my undergraduate degree and certifications.

jaidurn
03-26-2013, 04:41 AM
I am an indie game developer by day and a pro janitor by night.

I clean toilets in less than 10 seconds.

I make floors shine like mirrors.

i have no friends please send help.

Honestly, I kinda want to get back into college just so I can get a business degree. I'm not going to risk doing anything I really love for school because I don't want to start hating it.

Evil_Cake
03-26-2013, 03:32 PM
man thats like a super power

jaidurn
03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
yeah man they even smell good when i am done with them.

they get so clean obama would fight to use it

Evil_Cake
03-26-2013, 07:44 PM
plz only use ur strength for good

Demonfyre
03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Oh, cool! I'm just working on my undergraduate degree and certifications.

Awesome ^_^

Honestly, I kinda want to get back into college just so I can get a business degree. I'm not going to risk doing anything I really love for school because I don't want to start hating it.

Come work at my mansion please

TheVermillionFox
03-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Unwanted but current occupation: soon to be freshman.
Dream job: animator/novelist.

jaidurn
03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Come work at my mansion please

okay when do i start

Demonfyre
03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
As soon as possible, here's the initial payment of gold as discussed

GunZet
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Stay on topic or you'll be mopping the poop deck for a week.

Blue_Dragon
03-26-2013, 10:59 PM

Jai, you could do some Ginsberg-type poetry for a job. Seriously! That's the first thing I thought after reading your post:

"Hah. Her make us all work sixteen hours a day. Help. " (from "America") Great poem, by the way.

nextweek
03-28-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't have a job unless you consider full time animation student a job which some may argue yes it is or no it isn't.

Either way I don't have a job that pays

Linz
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Being a student is a profession! Haha. Have faith in yourself, Nextweeeek~~~

Celestial-Fox
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Being a student is hard work, so never be ashamed that you study instead of having a job!

Linz
03-29-2013, 04:40 PM
^ this.

Also study makes you get a GOOD job. >:U

Celestial-Fox
03-30-2013, 04:39 AM
I'd like to be a tattoo artist for a few years (or a body piercer), but I don't have enough time to dedicate to apprenticeship on top of my schooling. School keeps me busy, but t least it will pay off one day.

theAnimeRebel
03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm a tattoo artist! I only use sharpies though, so.... (not technically) I'll give you a semi-permenant sharpie tatt for 25 cents per square inch of ink... on here I guess that's a digital tattoo though. *ahem*

In seriousness though I am a lifeguard... not my job of choice but eh, it's actually a great place to work... mostly

(And I have got to stop using elipses so much in my posts... Gah X____X)

Sylux
03-31-2013, 12:35 PM
a great place to work
I'll say so

http://faystyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Kate-Upton-Bikini-2012-3.jpg

GunZet
03-31-2013, 02:55 PM
I can't edit your post, so I assume you'll do it yourself when I say either remove it or put it in some spoilers plz.

And try to stay AT LEAST RELATIVELY ON TOPIC. Ugh. Didn't you make a whole thread going over this exact kind of thing, dude? Cmon.

Sylux
03-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Sorry it was pretty irrelevant. Anyway I put in an application to McDick's, hopefully I can get a damn job already.

Psy
03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
If you are looking and at least 18 you can try Home Depot. They will be hiring for the summer season soon. It will probably be cashier and lot attendant stuff. So loading cars and trucks for customers and gathering carts.
If they like you they will keep you after summer is over. Even if not then its current work exp for a resume.

Sylux
03-31-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm only 17 I'm a babby qq I'm going to put in at least a hundred other applications to local businesses so even if it's a one in a hundred chance, I get a job

apples13
04-01-2013, 01:22 AM
IT analyst ... concentrating in web development.
Currently a Student, a teacher, and an engineer education web developer.
Soon to be bank IT analyst.
I am not going to have a very fun life

Sylux
04-12-2013, 12:42 AM
i got a job at sonic

Celestial-Fox
04-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Congrats! Hope you like it!

I am going to max out on my federal hours this week. That's good, because I spent a lot I money these last few weeks, and I need to start earning back the deficit. On the other hand, working so much is bad because I can't focus much on school.

Aether
04-17-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm a computer technician/salesman.

I more or less deal with stupid people everyday and fix what they fucked up. While they bitch and whine about how it's taking too long to fix their fuck ups.

It's like, are you for real man.

Lucifer
04-18-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm a computer technician/salesman.

I more or less deal with stupid people everyday and fix what they fucked up. While they bitch and whine about how it's taking too long to fix their fuck ups.

It's like, are you for real man.

Isn't this essentially the story of anyone who works in techsupport/sales/costumer service?

Celestial-Fox
04-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Luce: I'd say so!

Also, hmm, my job contract ends in the next two weeks. To renew, or not to renew?

Aether
04-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Isn't this essentially the story of anyone who works in techsupport/sales/costumer service?

It makes me more and more disappointed each day.

In people, not my job.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/NGR_album/011.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/NGR_album/media/011.jpg.html)

Hell_Baron
04-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Currently an IT student.
Planning on studying to become a programmer.

Aether
04-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Currently an IT student.
Planning on studying to become a programmer.

Have fun learning until you retire.

But seriously though, programming is rad. I find it somewhat fun.