PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Read Any Other Comics Aside from Manga?

Rio
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
What comics do you read that aren't manga or mahnwa? As in comics that aren't Japanese or Korean in origin. OEL manga is fine, btw.

Some titles I've read include Blankets, American Born Chinese, Bizenghast, and PsyComm. It's been a long time since I've picked up any titles from Marvel, DC, Image, etc though so I don't really know what's happening in the American comics market. :\

jubeh
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I read american comics. After you read the good ones its hard to return to manga where every problem is solved through sheer willpower and it takes 60 pages to explain something I could have done in 5. Not that all manga is bad.

I really don't know what to recommend though. There's too much to go through. If you want to get reacquainted with superheroes I suggest tracking down 52. It's the most interesting superhero story written in ages. It is basically a comic about a year without superman, batman and wonder woman. So that way it stars a lot of b-listers most people aren't familiar with, but they are written so well it'll make you want to go out and buy their comics.

All Star Superman is probably my favorite comic. It converted me from a superman hater to a die hard fan. I think for most people who grew up during marvel's age of great marketing probably have a hard time understanding why superman is cool. Well ASS is a good example of how you can write a superhero story without it being "gritty" and shit.

But if you like marvel there is always Thor. JSS's Thor run is really good.

ClockHand
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm reading Ex Machina, The Sandman and Hellboy. Also Ren & Stimpy.

Oh yeah and Walking Dead. And I have readed many more back in my days, but that would eb another long list -.-.

jubeh
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I dont remember if you told me or not, but did you read y the last man.

ClockHand
01-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah man, I think I told you (I probably told you I read all Vaughans comics).

Blue_Dragon
01-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah, Sandman is good. I love Neil Gaiman. And he's sexy and British (which is just a plus all around ;) )

Y the Last Man
Pirates of Dark Water
Ninja Scroll (it wasn't in manga style)
The Crow (original one)
Batman (well, not anymore, since the books are pretty expensive, I read the old comics)

Can't think of any others...since it's been so long. I liked the X-Men well enough, but only read the old ones my mom had (not the old old ones, but the 1990s ones.)

LVUER
01-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Other than manga and manhwa... and other than Marvel and DC too... I read Indonesian comic (Colony) and webcomic.

For the webcomic, I forget the title. It's about a modern day Valkyrie fighting for ancient gods (which still live until now), the main gimmick is THAT Valkyrie that supposed to be a girl... is a boy (who transformed into a girl). The other is about slice of life, where people is switched with animals. The protagonist is a girl who still use Amiga as her PC. And then she met with a boy who use Windows. And the story ensues.

For the Indonesian comic, I read Garudayana, Xenopet, 4Heroes, and Garudaboi. But they're all only volume 1 (except Garudayana which is at volume 2) and I really doubt it they will release new volumes for those comics.

Rio
01-28-2011, 10:39 AM
52 - do they have that in graphic novel format? It's a bit of a pain to find comic issues generally. I heard about Sandman and that they're also going to do a TV series based on the comic series. I'll see if I can find it...

Anyone read Bone? It was one of the series back in the 90s that was lauded as a good pick-up-from-any-part-of-the-story-and-follow comic book series.

jubeh
01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah 52 comes in three volumes I believe. Also sandman is so surreal I dont see how it could work live action without some amazing direction.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Does Maus count?

Rio
01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Oooo, Maus! That's another one I've been meaning to pick up.

@ Jubes
Cool. Hopefully, one of the libraries in my area has the volumes...

Saith
01-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Eh, The Walking Dead is the only one I've read/am reading. I would read Sandman, because Gaiman's like, my favouritest author ever, but I can't find it so oh well.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Oooo, Maus! That's another one I've been meaning to pick up.

Be careful, it's depressing, You know, the Holocaust and all. And then their's Persepolis.

wolfman
01-29-2011, 01:21 PM
i read the deadpool and wolverine comics and the marel zombies

butternut
01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
i never read western comics (watched lots of tv back when i was a kid). other than manga, i read traditional indian comics, there was Tinkle Digest which was MOST popular which had different stories with a few regular features. and then there was these series of books with indian mythology, folk tales and all the stories told through generations in comic form.

do webcomics count? like xkcd and stuff? i follow some of them....

Rio
01-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, web comics count. There are folks here who follow web comics as well. I don't read many web comics, but out of curiosity, aside from the daily and monthly updates, is there anyone out there who try to make a chapter every week? I've been wondering if anyone has tried doing a schedule like the Weekly Jump mags and so on.

butternut
01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
oh no, i meant cartoon sort of comics...like xkcd, dinosaur comics or abstruse goose..
there are loads that i've read and left but stuck to abstruse goose, and i keep checking xkcd from time to time too.

is there anyone who follows those?

jubeh
01-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah, web comics count. There are folks here who follow web comics as well. I don't read many web comics, but out of curiosity, aside from the daily and monthly updates, is there anyone out there who try to make a chapter every week? I've been wondering if anyone has tried doing a schedule like the Weekly Jump mags and so on.

Freakangels does but a "chapter" is like 5 pages. So you get these short bursts of pages instead of regular doses. I think I actually prefer that format to most webcomics with stories.

ClockHand
01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Web comics? Sr. Intestino (mr. intestine), he is drunk and cool.

Regantor
01-30-2011, 04:42 PM
I recently discovered a really neat little comic store where I live, but I'm having a hard time actually sticking to the western stuff still. Brian Wood's Channel Zero , Sin City and the old 40K monthly comics are the only things I've really liked so far... Superhero stuff just doesn't cut it for me. There are too many clichés, that even when just humoursly alluded to, really grate on my nerves. Like evil versions of existing super heroes, unobtainium weaknesses, and "darker and grittier" stories that try to come across as grey and grey, but still end up with the "good" guy winning 'cause he's the guy on the cover. No offence or anything, I just don't like it as a genre. :/

Webcomics are a different story at least. Xkcd, MuZz, After the Blastwave... Somebody should hire those croutons! :o

ClockHand
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ax54umaOR9Q/S13ORze6qxI/AAAAAAAAAWo/I7QGMhykMqs/s320/vacaciones.jpg

jubeh
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Superhero stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

Hey man you should check out some of the comics clock and I mentioned. The only one that has a superhero in it is Ex Machina, and that's only because the mayor was a former superhero.

Y the Last Man is something I recommend everyone read, whether they like comics or not. It's amazing to think that without men, women would be fine. Except for the whole breeding issue.

ClockHand
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ax54umaOR9Q/SzzFDumCFNI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/PnLssi1-h1g/s320/anooooooooo.jpg

Ceta
02-03-2011, 06:12 AM
To answer the title question, I wish I could say yes, but no I don't. There's nothing but manga here.

ClockHand
02-03-2011, 11:29 AM
To answer the title question, I wish I could say yes, but no I don't. There's nothing but manga here.

)=

Rio
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Wow, Ceta. That's... that's kinda sad. But I'm surprised you don't check out online web comics. Not interested in any?

jubeh
02-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Yeah I remember you saying that in my old superman thread. ): Ah well you get good stuff too. Like akira in the original right to left.

Blue_Dragon
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I never could get into Superman, myself. I just don't like him. Don't like his clothes, his stupid curl of hair in front, how nice he is, how "invincible" he is, but not, it's like, come on...why is stuff still being written about!? Sorry if anyone likes him...I just don't. I also don't like reporters...at least in comics. And West Wing

Some non-serial comics I used to read (like from the newspapers, but actual book omnibus...es...?)

Life in Hell (Matt Groaning)
The Farside (forgot his name...)

They're kinda funny.

butternut
02-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Talking about non serial comics in newspapers, how could anyone not mention Calvin & Hobbes??!!

Absolutely awesome!

http://www.prestonbeachwood.com/Graphics/EvilCalvinHobbesTrans.gif

Rio
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Calvin & Hobbes was definitely one of the comic strips I used to read regularly. Other include Family Circle, Garfield, Luanne, Peanuts and a few others.

butternut
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Ooohh..Garfield...It was made into a cartoon too, and was aired on Cartoon Network. That one was a big hit, there are even 2 movies. But my most favorite is Calvin and Hobbes.

Rio
02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Do you collect the graphic novels? I've seen a few of the books with collections of all the strips.

butternut
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Nope, not garfield, but i plan on collecting Calvin and Hobbes. I have the 10th anniversary version. I shall buy the rest when i start earning.

Regantor
02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Hum. Been doing some digging on non-Japanese OR American comics, and starting to make some really odd finds... Jean Giraud (A.k.a. 'Moebius') perks my interest quite a bit seeing as he's worked on various american-type things like Alien, the Fifth Element and some Silver Surfer comics... Yet has also directly inspired a whole bunch of really outstanding anime stuff like Naussica, Panzer-Dragoon and Dragon's Heaven. >_> Anybody know what his own personal works are like by any chance?...

Enki Bilal is another french guy I'm trying to track down. His art style is badass but info is thin on the ground.

Carl Larsson is a Swede who's been dead for 90 years... But his illustrations could have been drawn yesterday, for all the inspiration that Tim Henderson and that 80s OVA Angel's Egg rips from him.

I can't help but feel like "Why haven't I heard of these guys before?"... It's not like I'm American or anything.

Any more cool Europeans you guys can throw my way would be awesome. :3

jubeh
02-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Regantor check out Gipi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gipi

Regantor
02-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Huh, he's cool... Kinda like a more defined Ashley Wood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Wood)... :o

jubeh
02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Gipi's real strength is as a comic artist. You can look at him as an artist or a writer but when he does both he is just fucking amazing.

I submit that he is the italian will eisner. Yeah that's right.

Byakuran
02-10-2011, 04:31 AM
we have this comic book section in the library so i like read like 2/3 comics.
one was french but translated and other were english i think... ?
The pathway to heaven was one... or i think that was it's name and indian dream, also another one who i can't remember the name from... >>

GunZet
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I read Spawn, and some other thing that maybe only half counts. Marvel Mangaverse or something.....but eh, Spawn is better.

Reset
02-11-2011, 12:31 PM
What comics do you read that aren't manga or mahnwa? As in comics that aren't Japanese or Korean in origin. OEL manga is fine, btw.

I read chinese comic, like The Impacable Twins, The Legend of Condor Heroes, "Pendekar Hina Kelana"(that is Indonesian title, idont know these internatonal name maybe "smiling proud wonderer." These three has a nice story line and awesome graphics.

I never could get into Superman, myself. I just don't like him. Don't like his clothes, his stupid curl of hair in front, how nice he is, how "invincible" he is, but not, it's like, come on...why is stuff still being written about!? Sorry if anyone likes him...I just don't. I also don't like reporters...at least in comics. And West Wing

I also do not like superman, i prefer asian comics than american

ClockHand
02-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I also do not like superman, i prefer asian comics than american

Have you read not-asian comics?

I preffer in the art and technique the not-asian comics, in story, some times the asians.

jubeh
02-11-2011, 08:18 PM
You know who didn't like superman.

Hitler.

Hamachi
02-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Tons of webcomics and the occasional "graphic novel -" basically renamed, extremely thick comic books that grownups don't want to call comic books.

Ooh, has anyone here read Watchmen?

Evil_Cake
02-12-2011, 01:03 AM
yup

Regantor
02-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Still too skint to seek out that guy Jubeh mentioned, but I'm keeping a list. :m

I preffer in the art and technique the not-asian comics, in story, some times the asians.

To be fair to the Amerikunz, art quality is generally a bit higher on average. Trigun in perticular strikes me as being pretty simplistic compaired to it's subject matter... Hell, even my boy Nihei's newest work Knights of Cydonia is so rediculously under his skill level that I'm feeling a bit insulted. >_>

The only thing that keeps me comming to manga is it's much larger diversity of plot lines. Comics as a whole tend to feel a little bit too "hollywood" for my tastes... and isn't that basically what comics are? Storyboards for movies that hollywood will never have the balls to make?...

Reset
02-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes, but i not too happy with the drawing style.

I like batman, but I'm more comfortable reading batman that is draw by japanese mangaka (my brother had one title batman authored by mangaka, but I forgot who the author), for american i prefer watch the animation one than comic.

I like how american comic draw a "shade" but not for the line style, for the story i read everything that i think is good.

GunZet
02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I personally like the art in comics much more. It's just so much grittier, depending on the comic. I can't get that feel with manga for some reason. Not to mention that most comics are in color all the way through. +1

Byakuran
02-12-2011, 12:19 PM
i can never get into webcomics much i dunno why :/

Hey i used to real (a long time ago xD) Suske en Wiske, Kuifje, Jan Jansen en de kinderen and like donald duck... does that count?

GunZet
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Have you ever read Blip? That's a pretty epic webcomic.

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Yes, but i not too happy with the drawing style.

I like batman, but I'm more comfortable reading batman that is draw by japanese mangaka (my brother had one title batman authored by mangaka, but I forgot who the author), for american i prefer watch the animation one than comic.

So You haven't read any comic we have said in this thread (comics that are way better writted and drawed).

I like how american comic draw a "shade" but not for the line style, for the story i read everything that i think is good.

Thats are old comics and mostly Marvel and DC. Now comics have different styles and are way better.

Also for my in story asian and not-asian comics are in the same level about story. Because there are millions of mangas, and just few ones have good story, and the same goes with not-asian comics.

Byakuran
02-12-2011, 12:51 PM
No but i'm reading it now

i read the one comic about some human and a anthro or something and a penguin...? and something with spider or ants or something... ? Also more but i can't remember it :/

Reset
02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
So You haven't read any comic we have said in this thread (comics that are way better writted and drawed).

Yup, less or more. probably available in the capital, but in my province just japanese and chinese manga is available.

Thats are old comics and mostly Marvel and DC. Now comics have different styles and are way better.

Also for my in story asian and not-asian comics are in the same level about story. Because there are millions of mangas, and just few ones have good story, and the same goes with not-asian comics.

If you say so i tried to read current american comics too.

i read the one comic about some human and a anthro or something and a penguin...? and something with spider or ants or something... ? Also more but i can't remember it :/
It's a "Fable" man!(i don't know what international name it, but in my country a story tell about animal is called "fable"). I also read Fable in kindergarten, told about the deer who stole cucumber. Shishishishi :)

I personally like the art in comics much more. It's just so much grittier, depending on the comic. I can't get that feel with manga for some reason. Not to mention that most comics are in color all the way through. +1

Hehehe. Unlike me, i'm just opposite. more color much feel like i read a lot of poster. I prefer grayscale (maybe cuz my color blind, it's hard to tell difference about red or green). So colorful comic = -1; grayscale=++1

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
read Y: The Last Man.

Reset
02-12-2011, 02:24 PM
read Y: The Last Man.

What kind story it has?and what it genre?

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Is a apocalyptic story, about the death of all males in the planets... well not all, there are 2 survivors: a man and his monkey.

Reset
02-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Is a apocalyptic story, about the death of all males in the planets... well not all, there are 2 survivors: a man and his monkey.

I think i'd try to search for it now

jubeh
02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Y the last man is so good. So good.

LVUER
02-12-2011, 08:54 PM

All males? But not females, right? ^_^

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 09:07 PM
thats the point, only females are alive in the world.

Edit: oh yeah and Yorik and his Monkey (males).

LVUER
02-12-2011, 09:10 PM
The ultimate dream harem? Hehehe ^_^

Oh well, it's still better than everyone except Yorik and the monkey is alive (all other are dead)... and to make things worse, his monkey is the only female left -_- Not that being female is any different for the monkey in that case (if you know what I mean).

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 09:19 PM
is not made for fan service, so there is nothing of harem in the story. But it has a lot of socials and behavior problems post the death of all males.

Reset
02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
The ultimate dream harem? Hehehe ^_^

Oh well, it's still better than everyone except Yorik and the monkey is alive (all other are dead)... and to make things worse, his monkey is the only female left -_- Not that being female is any different for the monkey in that case (if you know what I mean).

Bwahahaha.You must control your wild fantasy bro

@ClockHand: Fyuh i already found an indonesian server who provide it, ill lech it at noon and start reading it.

Hamachi
02-14-2011, 01:05 AM
ill lech it
:rolleyes:

DemonKaiser93
02-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Well I was reading "Reing of the Supermen", finished reading "Scott Pilgrim", "V for Vendetta" is good, "Solar, man of the atom" can't say mush haven't read much,"Army of Darkness" they are OK, that's all, I think...

Reset
02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
ill lech it:rolleyes:
Its just miss spelling bro, i mean "i'll leech it," hehe :)

SassyTurtles
02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Uhh, I secretly stole my mom's GN version of The Dark Tower... >_>

I'm really into this one comic called "Stuff of Legend". It's about toys who go on a search for their owner who's been captured by the Boogeyman in the kid's closet. :U

Byakuran
02-19-2011, 08:43 AM
i stayed up all night reading a taiwanese manga, that was translated in chinese and then in english... 1/2 prince.
On mf they say its chinese but wiki says taiwanese ...

Hamachi
02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
I did that exact same thing about half a year ago! Haha.

Matt
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I never ventured too far from manga after I found it (because I like pretty people), but I still read a ton of serialized comics and just found the Scott Pilgrim series, courtesy of the movie (which was pretty epic). They own. I think I like the comic Scott slightly better than the movie version.

MiguelAndrew
05-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I read some Filipino comics namely Pugad Baboy and Kiko Machine, they pretty hilarious..Also I want to read more old comics like Panday, Darna, Captain Barbell and many more (some popular Filipino comics that been turn to movies in my country) but sadly I can't find them anywhere near my place.:cat_shiney:

Byakuran
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Stupidfox:bunny_yeah:

Evil_Cake
05-10-2011, 06:03 PM
i didnt know u actual read that

Gedeon
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Stupid Fox RULES!!! OvO Well i like to brag to my friends, i have a few that are also manga addicts, that there are other good comics, besides marvel,DC and manga. Some of what i read that aren't manga are: Spaghetti brothers, Scorpion, Divlja Magija(native comic so its in Serbian, in eng it means "Wild Magic"), Tin Tin, Alan Ford, Capes and fangs, Vincent & Van Gogh, Lotreks night adventures, Valeriant, W.E.S.T., Jeremaya and of course who hasn't read Hogar, Garfield, Private Billie, Snoopy and the rest of the small comics crew. It saddens me too say that many of these that are pretty awesome i didn't read a lot of chapters. We had a weekly magazine that had 170 pages OAO of famous comics. And now that it doesn't come out anymore, its a lot tougher for me to find them via the net. Plus it ain't the same feeling when you have that kind of paper in your hands and reading it of the screen.

Arashi500
05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Get Fuzzy and Foxtrot ftw.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-11-2011, 03:58 PM
OMG yes, Tin Tin is amazing. A bit racist, but amazing.