PDA

View Full Version : Forums.... Disappearing from the internet?

Murealism
03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Well...
I wanted to discuss the fact that in a few years Forums will be all extinct? Or not?
Facebook was all like a BOOM, and now people make events, choices, polls and other things on it.
I'm writing this because from 2000 to 2010 I saw that Forums where like the biggest deal ever, I loved them too and I had a few where I was administrator, but with the coming of that biggest BOOM ever, now people are like "lazy" to write on forums?

ClockHand
03-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Shut up Meg!

Matt
03-09-2013, 04:33 PM
There will always be people with attention spans longer than the average Facebook post. I wouldn't worry about it.

nextweek
03-09-2013, 07:52 PM
What's Facebook?

Sylux
03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Actually, Facebook is kind of rising in a big way. I know people who set up accounts and use usernames and profile pics and treat peoples' statuses as basically open forums to chat and have big discussions.

Hayashida
03-09-2013, 10:56 PM
nah forums have been around for a while i dont think they're going anywhere i mean ive been on this forum for nearly 10 years and im not going anywhere fuck you guys

Sylux
03-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Well uh yeah but still have you noticed that we only have a handful of active posters and the active posters aren't even all that active. Like I remember a few years ago every time you refreshed you would get like 20 new posts on a thread and now the threads progress so slowly I mean the spam thread has been around for what? 3 months? We used to go through 2 or 3 spam threads a month, sometimes a week if we were really active. I've noticed the active members on other forums I visit degrade entirely, I mean the only active forums I go to anymore are EDF and SA.

Hayashida
03-09-2013, 11:37 PM
its also winter still the forum picks up during the summer and anyway why dont you go cry somewhere else if u think forums aren't good anymore don't you know where you are

Sylux
03-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Let's keep it civil here it is the GD after all

ClockHand
03-09-2013, 11:50 PM
nah forums have been around for a while i dont think they're going anywhere i mean ive been on this forum for nearly 10 years and im not going anywhere fuck you guys

I could read this without a depressing voice.

Hayashida
03-09-2013, 11:52 PM
eh what are you saying

Celestial-Fox
03-10-2013, 04:53 PM
I think some forums are fairly active, so it's definitely worth it. I just think forums often need to keep up with "peripheral" networking—meaning, to keep the community tight and active, chat rooms, real life meetups, contests, and social networking integration become increasingly important. I webmaster a site, and adding features like chat rooms has really helped centralize our active user base, and we plan to have a forum up and running by this summer.

The slower pace of forums is nice, especially when accommodating people in hugely different time zones. Facebook-style instant networking is nice for some things, but it's easy to lose track if you are out for a day or two.

GunZet
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Forums aren't going anywhere.

/thread.

Fenn
03-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I've been on a few forums that I've watched decline in activity over the last few years, and a common theme seems to be over-generalization. When the forum starts it's very focused, and everyone who joins is doing so to discuss the topic of the site, be it a art form, a video game, a lifestyle aspect, etc. When the forum is at it's peak, it's a brilliant source of information on the topic at hand.

Things seem to slow down and start decaying when the "off-topic" section, which is usually a single board to begin with, starts to grow. Suddenly you have as many off-theme forums as on-theme ones, and the forum becomes less reliable as a concentrated source of info on the original topic, and more of a social media site. At this point the oldest members have also set a tone on the forum, which limits the growth to those who more or less agree with this tone. The combination of those two factors together reduce the level of activity over time.

I've seen it happen to a degree on this site, and even more so on other forums I've joined. In fact, this site is has persisted far longer than others I've joined. The good news is this decline usually seems to level out at some point, usually when there's a solid enough bunch of regulars to keep it alive.

Sylux
03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
See? Fenn knows what the heck I'm talking about man.

Black_Shaggie
03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I say we all just get a gang of stamps & stationary & go back to snail mail...

Rio
03-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Carrier pigeon is better than snail. And it has to be encrypted lest it fall in enemy hands. <_<

Ooocast
03-11-2013, 07:11 PM
What if the pigeon gets shot though?

Sylux
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Then you'll just have to... Double post.

Joosh
03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
A couple members and I have a Skype group that used to be really active. While we try to keep it alive people just don't contribute as much anymore (Including myself.)

Linz
03-12-2013, 12:38 PM
I stopped coming along cuz the hot guys don't post enough pics. That makes me sad. I also miss all my favourite artists posting, they just don't do it anymore.

Hayashida
03-12-2013, 03:43 PM
sorry ill try to post more pictures of myself from now on

Matt
03-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I also miss all my favourite artists posting, they just don't do it anymore.
This is probably the main reason I'm not on as much as I used to be--and probably the reason I don't post a lot of art.

Obitual Crow/Mr. OC, Sutari, Iccy, Seefy, Cloudy, and Gabo always inspired me. I think only Cloudy still puts up art regularly.

Linz, your art inspires me too. In fact, my obsession with redheaded fantasy girls probably comes from this picture:
http://i.imgur.com/RatHgZx.png
(Slightly NSFW)

GunZet
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
If MT ever dies (and it wont), I'm blaming it on you guys.

Sylux
03-12-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm just gonna blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol.

Celestial-Fox
03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
I've got a job, I'm a full-time university student, and I volunteer about 10 hours a week. I've got more excuses, but yeaaah. The truth is that I just don't draw much anymore, so I don't really have much to contribute to the "main point" of this forum.

Sylux
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Seefy, I couldn't disagree with you more. The focal point of the forums has shifted completely toward socializing and away from artistic growth. I barely get one comment per 3 posts in my art thread, and I haven't seen a single damn post in a literary thread I opened several days ago that featured a piece I put several hours and 4 years of background story production into.

Celestial-Fox
03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
The focal point of the forums has shifted completely toward socializing and away from artistic growth.
That's what I was saying:

I just don't draw much anymore, so I don't really have much to contribute to the "main point" of this forum.
The "main point" being art. I don't draw much, so I can't contribute to the furthering of the forum's original aim.

Sylux
03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Well, since none of the active members post art except for Gunzet, the new main point is socializing, and I don't see the forums moving back to its original aim anytime soon. I feel like you're encouraging a shift back to an artistic focus, but I'm disagreeing with you. The point on this site is socializing, and the shift on a variety of forums have switched to socializing if they weren't already. I'm contesting the idea that this site is an art forum anymore, and I don't think it can even be considered one. It's a socialization forum with a section to post your art if you want to feel like shit (if you're only intermediate to advanced-intermediate) or if you're advanced to advanced-elite.Then you don't have to worry about feeling like shit, we'll all suck your dick because you're better than we are.Tasteless (yet rightfully elicited) vulgarity in spoilers.

Black_Shaggie
03-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I dunno dude. I'm intermediate when it comes to manga &, I actually DO read the tutorials here. They help me stay sorted. I actually do read the artistic forums here too. I might not post, but I do find everyone's opinions helpful. To me, this site has a causal way of getting folks how like the same shit together & we all can learn from each other. Hell, some of the social forum events (like PIMP MY ART, 100 Manga Them Challenge& the Saimoe contests) alone will send us noobs and pre noobs on a quest to learn more techniques if you ask me. Even the general discussion threads can be artistically informative. Not always,but sometimes.
I especially picking all of you whippersnapper's brains for current trends. I agree that this site is very social but the name Manga Tutorials is proper IMO.

I still say we go back to snail mail...or courier pigeon...maybe messenger? Do we get to PWN the messenger for bad messages....?

Sylux
03-13-2013, 05:55 PM
We should all move to the extranet

EDIT: Is it just me or did all the seriousness of this thread go out the freakin' window.

Rio
03-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Oh, I see how it is. My members are stalkers. Should I be an enabler and bring back the Artist Alley? :cat_yeahright:

Linz
03-17-2013, 10:26 AM
YES.
Srsly, sometimes it's nice just to look at art without having to write an essay about why an arm looks funky. It's the only reason I don't comment any more, cause I hate having to sit down and write a block of words as to why I like it. :c
Some of us don't even want critique, its not due to being arrogant and thinking we're god's gift. Improving isn't really my goal, I draw for my own personal enjoyment, not to be some famous illustrator. I'd like to share my images as they are, faults and all.

I VOTE FOR ARTISTS ALLEY. :U

Rio
03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Linz, if you can get 10 other people to request the Artist Alley by this Wednesday, it's a done deal. I'll make the Artist Alley that same day. I'm sure you can persuade 10 people to voice their opinion by then.... Good luck!

Linz
03-17-2013, 02:43 PM
uh oh. Did I inadvertently sign up to a revolutionist?! D:

Blue_Dragon
03-24-2013, 02:18 AM
You can't beat the children of the revolution!

How'd I miss this conversation? But thanks for bringing (and helping bring) Artist Alley back! :P

Rio
03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, be nice to her too since she's the boss lady at the AA now. ; )

Aether
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I come on these forums to argue and make smart-assed comments. The latter being more favourable.

I don't draw anymore so I don't really have much to contribute other than my award winning personality. That and I'm just way too lazy to crit art anymore, I'm getting old man.

I have white hairs you know. Lots of them. :(

Sylux
04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Aether, have you read any necromancy tomes recently?

Aether
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Aether, have you read any necromancy tomes recently?There is one that I've been really into.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130207204734/creepypasta/images/a/a9/Foul_necromancy_by_mrzarono-d4y9yy8.jpg

Couldn't help it.