PDA

View Full Version : I might be going to AnimeBoston -- help!

Fenn
01-27-2011, 09:21 AM
So my friend invited me to go for the first time. If I do, I'm going to have some serious issues. I love anime and draw manga and stuff (so excited to see people's creations), but...I don't really watch anime at all. To add to all that, I'd like to cosplay if I go, but who the heck am I going to be?

Basically, what are some of THE animes that most fans will at least recognize. I've decided to start watching some series from ep 1 (I got started on FMA; damn that opening was creepy), so what are some other suggestions other than Naruto? I enjoy fantasy and sci-fi but anything will do really, also preferable not gory or very suggestive stuff, just not my preference. I've heard Bleach is very good, though there's a lot of episodes...

Also, any info on what I can expect at the convention that isn't on the website would be great.

Hayashida
01-27-2011, 09:45 AM
You love anime, but you don't watch anime? What?

Blue_Dragon
01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Evangelion is always instantly recognized. Um...you do see a lot of Full Metal (least I did at A-Cen in Rosemont (close to Chi-Town.) Some people try Death Note...but there's not much to the guy's clothes. I think you're a dude, right? Not to say people don't do cross-dressing for cosplay (cause lots do,) but I don't know if you're into that. I hear this Hetalia things is really popular to cosplay...I don't read the manga, though. Uh..fantasy...maybe Tsubasa? If you're looking for something easy, do Spike from Cowboy Bebop-blue suit, yellow shirt, black tie and shoes. Crazy hair, and you're done.

Hope something here is helpful.

Rio
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Fairy Tail will most likely be recognized as well:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_X4a9Dsm06S8/TKdnbg820rI/AAAAAAAAAvM/tvwlq022IH0/s1600/fairy-tail-image.jpg

Other than that, I would think One Piece would be good as well. Anything from Ghibli too as there is always Ghibli fans out there.

Anyways, if it's like any other conventions, go there early. Lines will be long to get tickets. Expect food prices to be high, lots of waiting in lines, lots of people, and when you first get the schedule, I suggest you map out your day. There will be lots of events going on at one time so pick the one you want to attend the most and go there. Events may be spread out over several buildings so expect some walking. Keep hydrated, bring a book bag with you. Please, please take a bath. Lots of people and nerds not taking baths = lots of foul smells. Make sure you have monies as you will probably hit the merchant stalls, right? Bring small change and make sure you don't leave anything behind.

I don't recommend going on the last day, btw, as usually, there's less events going on, the con is winding down and there's generally less energy compared to the other two days. The ticket price will also be cheaper but you'll be attending all three days right?

Drop by the artist alley and check out what everyone has to offer! Be aware that there may be rules like no taking pictures so watch out. Please observe etiquette when taking pictures of people in costume - there's people out there who don't like being randomly glomped. Oh, and have fun! :D

Fenn
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
You love anime, but you don't watch anime? What?

It's a long, painful story. Not really, I watched Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh and that inspired me to start drawing, but afterward I stopped watching. I don't watch a lot of tv anymore really.

Evangelion is always instantly recognized. Um...you do see a lot of Full Metal (least I did at A-Cen in Rosemont (close to Chi-Town.) Some people try Death Note...but there's not much to the guy's clothes. I think you're a dude, right? Not to say people don't do cross-dressing for cosplay (cause lots do,) but I don't know if you're into that. I hear this Hetalia things is really popular to cosplay...I don't read the manga, though. Uh..fantasy...maybe Tsubasa? If you're looking for something easy, do Spike from Cowboy Bebop-blue suit, yellow shirt, black tie and shoes. Crazy hair, and you're done.

Hope something here is helpful.

Lots, thanks! And I am a guy.

Fairy Tail will most likely be recognized as well

Other than that, I would think One Piece would be good as well. Anything from Ghibli too as there is always Ghibli fans out there.

Anyways, if it's like any other conventions, go there early. Lines will be long to get tickets. Expect food prices to be high, lots of waiting in lines, lots of people, and when you first get the schedule, I suggest you map out your day. There will be lots of events going on at one time so pick the one you want to attend the most and go there. Events may be spread out over several buildings so expect some walking. Keep hydrated, bring a book bag with you. Please, please take a bath. Lots of people and nerds not taking baths = lots of foul smells. Make sure you have monies as you will probably hit the merchant stalls, right? Bring small change and make sure you don't leave anything behind.

I don't recommend going on the last day, btw, as usually, there's less events going on, the con is winding down and there's generally less energy compared to the other two days. The ticket price will also be cheaper but you'll be attending all three days right?

Drop by the artist alley and check out what everyone has to offer! Be aware that there may be rules like no taking pictures so watch out. Please observe etiquette when taking pictures of people in costume - there's people out there who don't like being randomly glomped. Oh, and have fun! :D

Probably just one day actually, I'm busy the other two. Although the last day there is Cosplay Chess which I hear actually draws a big crowd. I expected the long lines and high food prices. I'm really excited for the artists alley since I figure its good inspiration; they did say no photos in there though. Good idea to map out my day. This is definitely helpful.

And I will bathe...

jubeh
01-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Why do you care about getting recognized. Its way cooler to be a character that you like so the recognition is that much better, and also you wont be stopped as much for pictures.

Instead you should post a picture of yourself so we can just decide who you look like.

Hayashida
01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah that's a good idea. ^

Rio
01-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Instead you should post a picture of yourself so we can just decide who you look like.Yes, I concur. Show uuuuuuuuuuus!

Blue_Dragon
01-27-2011, 10:58 PM
^True, it would be helpful in giving suggestions.

Oh! I just remembered, a lot of people do video game characters at conventions, too. I saw some Snakes (is that his name, Metal Gear Solid dude?) and lots of Final Fantasy characters. You could go that route.

Rio
01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, video game characters do well too. Kingdom Hearts, Snake (no "s" Blue_Dragon), Final Fantasy, Mario & Luigi, and so on. You can't go wrong with any of the popular ones. Heck, go as Kirby if you want. ;D

Fenn
01-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Why do you care about getting recognized. Its way cooler to be a character that you like so the recognition is that much better, and also you wont be stopped as much for pictures.

Instead you should post a picture of yourself so we can just decide who you look like.

The part about recognized anime was so I could recognize everyone else, not the other way around, lol!

Yeah that's a good idea. ^

Yes, I concur. Show uuuuuuuuuuus!

Because I'm an internet safety FREAK, I'm gonna have to decline. Sorry, I'm paranoid.

^True, it would be helpful in giving suggestions.

Oh! I just remembered, a lot of people do video game characters at conventions, too. I saw some Snakes (is that his name, Metal Gear Solid dude?) and lots of Final Fantasy characters. You could go that route.

Yeah, video game characters do well too. Kingdom Hearts, Snake (no "s" Blue_Dragon), Final Fantasy, Mario & Luigi, and so on. You can't go wrong with any of the popular ones. Heck, go as Kirby if you want. ;D

I play a ton of video games so that might be a really good idea. I'll consider it my backup plan. Hm...I bet a Fire Emblem character would be awesome, its even manga-style! Hm...Eilwood, Marcus (lots of armor...), Nils, Pent, Ike...which character would be coolest? If I did a mage I could even carry a tome with me, hehe.

Rio
01-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Because I'm an internet safety FREAK, I'm gonna have to decline. Sorry, I'm paranoid. Oh, don't be such a recluse! Put on sunglasses on if you really don't want to be recognized.

Fenn
01-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh, don't be such a recluse! Put on sunglasses on if you really don't want to be recognized.

*runs away in shame*

Sorry, it's an eccentricity I must ask you to accept. Or ban me if u rly mad. (jk bout that last part )

Anyway, here's an idea (might be difficult though):
http://fireemblemblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/pent.jpg

The difficulty with Fire emblem is the armor/gilding on the clothes. The articles of clothing themselves don't seem too bad.

Rio
01-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Nah, I ain't mad. I like my privacy as well... (though there is one place where I did post my face....)

Yeah, it's the details that will make or break the costume. I've never made my own costume so.... I can't give much of an advice except maybe to start working on in now?

Hayashida
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Go as Masa. he's a badass.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o219/Dokken_2112/Picture3-13.png

Superdooperphailmachine
02-01-2011, 04:53 AM
I have gone to an anime convention as Ace Ventura pet detective, I was stopped for photos every ten minutes.

Hayashida
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh yeah, I remember you posting pics. You looked pretty fly in that getup man.

Fenn
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I have gone to an anime convention as Ace Ventura pet detective, I was stopped for photos every ten minutes.

That. Is. AWESOME!

Go as Masa. he's a badass.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o219/Dokken_2112/Picture3-13.png

Well, you tried...but I don't look like that at all. Quite badass though.

I'll keep thinking.

jubeh
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
If you could get a japanese school uniform you could just be a delinquent in general.

Rio
02-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Go as Phoenix Wright. All you need is a blue suit and slick your hair back to a point.

http://www.tokyopop.com/ugc/5/1/9/7/u/avatar/1230519.jpg

Hayashida
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
If you could get a japanese school uniform you could just be a delinquent in general.

That's what I would do if I were going to cosplay.

jubeh
02-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I can actually do my hair like kamiyama.

Hayashida
02-02-2011, 01:05 AM
So why don't you wear it like that all the time? Honestly, James, sometimes I wonder about you...

Fenn
02-02-2011, 10:34 AM
I know this was debated before (old MT I believe), but I could do Avatar: The Last Airbender even though it isn't "real anime." I've seen every episode and its pretty much my favorite cartoon ever. Aang, Zuko, Jet, any other suggestions?

Superdooperphailmachine
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
You don't have to go to an anime convention as someone from a "Real" anime.

PWhit
02-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Well see you there! If I can at least...

Fenn
02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
You don't have to go to an anime convention as someone from a "Real" anime.

I figured, but thank you for backing that (no sarcasm intended).

Well see you there! If I can at least...

Once I decide which character I'll post here. Maybe you'll see me...

jubeh
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Anyone that insults you for going as a non-anime character probably has too much neck hair to cosplay in the first place so I wouldn't even worry.

Hayashida
02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
yeah or just or whip a knife out and threaten them. I can't see any repercussions resulting from that.

jubeh
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Between you and me man sometimes you give really questionable advice.

Hayashida
02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I can take your criticism, which, if I say so myself, is quite harsh.

Fenn
02-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Anyone that insults you for going as a non-anime character probably has too much neck hair to cosplay in the first place so I wouldn't even worry.

O_O

I think I'm giving the wrong impression about this. Yeah, at first I was worried cosplay was limited to legit anime, but people pointed out fast that that's not the case. As for The Last Airbender, I was referring to a topic on the old MT where someone corrected me and said it was an American comic with Asian influence. I was simply explaining that I was aware of the fact.

Plus how cool would this guy be to cosplay:

http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/tv/img/28849_zuko.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zz0yORhFEQE/S_z7l-BjT9I/AAAAAAAAFd8/tH9LP0FiXdo/s1600/zuko112.jpg

jubeh
02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah if you want I can punch you really hard in the eye.

Rio
02-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Ahhhh, Zuko. If you go as him, prepare yourself for all the hordes of fan girls coming for you. Make a sword. It'll at least keep them at bay for a bit. ;)

Hayashida
02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
If I can give you some advice, if you're going to cosplay as that character, you should get an authentic looking eye wound, so you should let James punch you in the eye as hard as he can.

Fenn
02-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Ahhhh, Zuko. If you go as him, prepare yourself for all the hordes of fan girls coming for you. Make a sword. It'll at least keep them at bay for a bit. ;)

Are you being facetious, serious, or both? I didn't realize it was such a popular cosplay.

Yeah if you want I can punch you really hard in the eye.

If I can give you some advice, if you're going to cosplay as that character, you should get an authentic looking eye wound, so you should let James punch you in the eye as hard as he can.

Well in the story it was fire that gave him the scar, so if you have a flamethrower...on second thought, a punch would work.

Or, y'know, some good facepaint. But that's far less fun for jubeh.

Rio
02-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Zuko Fan Club @ DA (http://zuko-fans.deviantart.com/aboutus/). Over 1000 watchers, around 800+ members. He has the most fan arts in DA clocking over 74000 images. Second place is Katara at a little less than Zuko. Sokka and Aang combined doesn't come near the other two. : )

Sooooo.... are you going to cosplay as him?

IanPMD
02-06-2011, 03:13 AM
If you do, maybe you can cook something up with a candle and some bug spray. And maybe a Tesla coil to keep the fangirls away and to fulfill any fantasies of Zuko finally mastering lightning. But maybe he has. It's just that I haven't seen the fire nation saga.

Fenn
02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Zuko Fan Club @ DA (http://zuko-fans.deviantart.com/aboutus/). Over 1000 watchers, around 800+ members. He has the most fan arts in DA clocking over 74000 images. Second place is Katara at a little less than Zuko. Sokka and Aang combined doesn't come near the other two. : )

Sooooo.... are you going to cosplay as him?

Well...yeah probably, unless I switch it up and do Aang. I always wanted a badass scar, and I'm sure I can survive a photo or two. Plus, if he's so popular won't there be tons of people going as him...or is that wishful thinking?

If you do, maybe you can cook something up with a candle and some bug spray. And maybe a Tesla coil to keep the fangirls away and to fulfill any fantasies of Zuko finally mastering lightning. But maybe he has. It's just that I haven't seen the fire nation saga.

Security Guard: "What the hell was that?" *grabs me and incapacitates me*
Me: "I'm the prince of the Fire Nation! I can bend fire."
Guard: "You're in big trouble. You get one phone call."
Me: "But my mom's gone and my dad hates me..."

Plus something tells me that will just attract attention :)

Rio
02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Hmmm, I don't know if there'll be a hoard of Zuko's but if you're having second thought... how about Scar?

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3417/scar1zm.jpg

You get to have a kickass tattoo too!

Fenn
02-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Hmmm, I don't know if there'll be a hoard of Zuko's but if you're having second thought... how about Scar?

You get to have a kickass tattoo too!

That would be epic, since I just started watching FMA too! I think I'm sticking with Zuko though. I don't mind attention and like I said I'm a rabid Last Airbender fan. But now I have some options.

Hawkeye53
03-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Zuko would be epic man! I was going to go as Azula for my next con and try and convince one of my guy friends to go as Zuko with me for the epic fight scene poses (I study Shaolin kung fu, which is what firebending's based on, which made it sound like even more fun) but that fell through.

Anyways, in my experience, there are not a lot of Avatar cosplayers at cons, though they are popular to take pictures with. It's kinda like Sephiroth -- which at my local cons, there's only one cosplayer who cosplays him, but he's fangirled the entire con. As for the scar, try looking into latex skin-color or scar tissue. They come usually in little tubs like playdough and only cost a few bucks. You can then mold them around your eye and cheek. To get the red, try mixing it with a cheap lipliner pencil (99 cents at Walmart, might need to buy a couple different colors to get all the scar) until it turns the right color. Then use regular makeup to blend the edges of the latex to your skin a bit. There's also liquid latex, but I haven't worked with it yet, so I'm not sure how that'll work. With a little practice, you can make it look pretty good though.

Hope that helps, it's kinda hard to explain online. I'm kinda a stage makeup/technical theatre geek, though so if you need help, let me know. :)

Zoe
03-14-2011, 11:39 PM
W000000t, Anime Boston! This will be my 7th year attending.

First of all some general con tips. Make sure you feel comfortable in your costume, both physically and mentally. Plenty of people will want to take your picture and if you feel like crap you're not going to feel very good about it. So try to put a lot of effort into your costume! And physically, it's not going to be very fun if you can't move and are in a lot of pain for the entire convention. (Personally I find this one to not be as important, and if I find a pair of shoes that fit my costume perfectly, I will wear them even if they're a size or two too small(true story).) Secondly, if you're going to be staying at the con be sure to bring food! Eating three meals a day at the pru center can get pretty pricey, and you'll want to save your $$ to buy cool overpriced crap in the dealers room! I suggest trying to get your hands on a hot pot and bring some instant ramen, oatmeal, stuff like that! Also crackers and juice boxes, and for meals on the go protein and granola bars.

More AB specific info: If you're over 18 and plan on going to 18+ stuff be sure to have a state issued ID. Also, the AMV contest and the Masquerade sometimes overlap (I think anyways), I would suggest going to the AMV contest, it's much more entertaining and fun!

If theres anything specific you want to know about AB just let me know.

(And if anyone's interested I'd totally be willing to write a con survival thread.)

Rio
03-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow! Got any pics Zoe?? I'd like to see ya in costume - hey, a cosplayers thread would be cool! I'm surprised we haven't made on yet.

Fenn
03-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Zuko would be epic man! I was going to go as Azula for my next con and try and convince one of my guy friends to go as Zuko with me for the epic fight scene poses (I study Shaolin kung fu, which is what firebending's based on, which made it sound like even more fun) but that fell through.

Anyways, in my experience, there are not a lot of Avatar cosplayers at cons, though they are popular to take pictures with. It's kinda like Sephiroth -- which at my local cons, there's only one cosplayer who cosplays him, but he's fangirled the entire con. As for the scar, try looking into latex skin-color or scar tissue. They come usually in little tubs like playdough and only cost a few bucks. You can then mold them around your eye and cheek. To get the red, try mixing it with a cheap lipliner pencil (99 cents at Walmart, might need to buy a couple different colors to get all the scar) until it turns the right color. Then use regular makeup to blend the edges of the latex to your skin a bit. There's also liquid latex, but I haven't worked with it yet, so I'm not sure how that'll work. With a little practice, you can make it look pretty good though.

Hope that helps, it's kinda hard to explain online. I'm kinda a stage makeup/technical theatre geek, though so if you need help, let me know. :)

It does. I was considering trying it with just costume facepaint, since in the show it didn't seem to have too much "texture," but latex would probably look better! Although...how expensive is it, because my budget is unfortunately super-thin, and it's definitely setting me back.

If you could help me, I need to find clothing like this:
http://images.wikia.com/avatar/images/b/b5/Zuko_byKuru.jpg

I've been struggling to find a robe/kimono similar to this.

W000000t, Anime Boston! This will be my 7th year attending.

First of all some general con tips. Make sure you feel comfortable in your costume, both physically and mentally. Plenty of people will want to take your picture and if you feel like crap you're not going to feel very good about it. So try to put a lot of effort into your costume! And physically, it's not going to be very fun if you can't move and are in a lot of pain for the entire convention. (Personally I find this one to not be as important, and if I find a pair of shoes that fit my costume perfectly, I will wear them even if they're a size or two too small(true story).) Secondly, if you're going to be staying at the con be sure to bring food! Eating three meals a day at the pru center can get pretty pricey, and you'll want to save your $$ to buy cool overpriced crap in the dealers room! I suggest trying to get your hands on a hot pot and bring some instant ramen, oatmeal, stuff like that! Also crackers and juice boxes, and for meals on the go protein and granola bars.

More AB specific info: If you're over 18 and plan on going to 18+ stuff be sure to have a state issued ID. Also, the AMV contest and the Masquerade sometimes overlap (I think anyways), I would suggest going to the AMV contest, it's much more entertaining and fun!

If theres anything specific you want to know about AB just let me know.

(And if anyone's interested I'd totally be willing to write a con survival thread.)

Well I'm only going Friday actually (I know, lame), but those are good tips. I can't waith for the dealer's room!

Rio
03-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Can you sew a bit? For the undershirt, you can just get a red T-shirt, sew those darker red seams on and then find an outer robe which you can rip the sleeves off of and add the gold/brown lining.

Fenn
03-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Can you sew a bit?

tsh....bf...hahahahahaha!

Not to be rude. I just have no sewing talent.

PWhit
04-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Fenn, my friend (if I am allowed to call you that), I fret I cannot make it to the convention. Your duty of seeking me is relieved. :P

Fenn
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Fenn, my friend (if I am allowed to call you that), I fret I cannot make it to the convention. Your duty of seeking me is relieved. :P

Aww, that's disappointing! I just got my costume together too! Here's my mini-guide:

HOW TO MAKE A ZUKO COSPLAY: SUPER LOW-BUDGET ECONOMY VERSION

- inexpensive red karate gi
- black robe, a kimono-style pajama robe preferably (cut off the sleeves)
- yellow ribbon sewn onto robe
- (optional cause I havent tried it yet) black socks over shoes
- red facepaint makeup for scar

I think it will look legit enough that people will recognize me. I'm even growing my hair out. AnimeBoston, here I come!

P.S. yes you can call me friend :)

Rio
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Oo-oo! I want photos!

Fenn
04-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Oo-oo! I want photos!

I'm going to do a practice run before the Convention, scar, hair, and costume, and I'll take pics.

Rio
04-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Yesh! Can't wait! :3

Fenn
04-09-2011, 07:16 PM
To-do list for Anime Boston:

- Actually watch some anime for once in my life before the event.
- Save some cash for cool artist alley swag
- Test run for costume
- Practice voice acting so I can roleplay
- Learn kung fu
- Learn to shoot fire

Also if there is an Aang cosplayer I am determined to find them, sneak up behind them, and proclaim "I found you, Avatar!"

Fenn
04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Well, tomorrow's the big day! My only regret after trying everything out is not growing my hair out more beforehand.

If you're there and you see a Zuko, ask for Fenn!

Ozzaharwood
04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Better get pics c:

Fenn
04-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Better get pics c:

I did, well at least my friends did. Once they send them to me I'll post.

Rio
04-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I did, well at least my friends did. Once they send them to me I'll post.
:waits in anticipation:

Did you have fun? Did you nab the Avatar?

butternut
04-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Fenn, write a blog or post about it all here man.

Fenn
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
:waits in anticipation:

Did you have fun? Did you nab the Avatar?
YESYESYESYESYES!
And twice, actually! The first one ran behind his friend (who was Katara!). The second, for some odd reason, didn't seem to recognize me or didn't care.

Fenn, write a blog or post about it all here man.

I'll write a quick note, and more when I have more time.

The cosplays! Holy smokes, the first twenty minutes were the most fun, since it was my first time.

Highlights:
- Someone built a freaking Onyx. They were sitting on its tail posing for pics.
- I signed N's "free the pokemon" sign
- Blue shirt guy! (got all intense, apparently he was cosplaying an anime fan in a blue shirt)
- Catching the avatar
- Getting a couple hugs from fans
- Fooley Cooley. W.T.H. Epic.
- also, ep. 1 of Gurren Lagaan. I know what I'm watching this summer...
- Anime Court Case-> Poor cabbage merchant and his sex-crazed pikachu. Fact: Ba Sing Seh is the capital of the USA. Also, Dante from Devil May Cry guilty of illegal possesion of cucumbers.
- The priceless looks we got from "normal" people on the train/food court.
- Wild Missingno appeared!
- Someone intentionally looking at a Gundam and yelling "Storm trooper!"
- An Altair/Ezio walking through crowds as though he was in the game.
- Watching Anime Jeopardy. "What is the name of Sheppard's ship in Mass Effect?" "What is Sexy no Jutsu." O_O

Lowlights:
- Mansty...

CypressDahlia
04-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun, dude. We have Otakon around here, but it's like in the ghettoest part of the ghetto, so we look like some kinda of socially awkward gangbangers in contrast to the normal gangbangers around there.

I saw a 6 foot tall replica of Big O. ._.

Fenn
04-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun, dude. We have Otakon around here, but it's like in the ghettoest part of the ghetto, so we look like some kinda of socially awkward gangbangers in contrast to the normal gangbangers around there.

I saw a 6 foot tall replica of Big O. ._.

Lol you should come to AB '12. It was an incredible experience. Everyone got along so well; I never realized what a uniting force anime is.

Zoe
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm finally home. ;-;
I had a pretty good time myself, though TBH i only went to the 18+ events (and the rave & AMV contest!), and spent most of my time wandering and in the artist ally/dealers room. >.>;

I'm glad you had a great time!

(BTW, did you see me? On Saturday I was Hanon from Mermaid Melody (Blue and frilly from head to toe), and in the afternoon I was Anya from Code Geass(without the jacket).) I only saw one Zuko, which could have been you, but I was in a hurry to do something and didn't have time to ask (*can't remember what it was lolol*).

Rio
04-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Sounds great! There was a time when I considered getting a table (Artist Alley) at Anime Boston a couple of years back but I hear they got out quickly. D:

Anyways.... photos man! Photos! <--- same thing to Zoe

Fenn
04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Here we go:

This is my cosplay (from waist up). I regret not growing my hair out more, but I think the scar came out well. No, I didn't squint like that all day.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2011/04/Fenn-zuko-1-jpg.jpg?t=4db5df14e2671

The only other zuko I found. He didn't stick as strictly to the series' costume, but he had cool firebending yo-yo thingys. I watched him fight a Naruto later on.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2011/04/Fenn-zukos-jpg.jpg?t=4db5df5936706

One of my fav pics of the night. I liked both Aang and Katara's cosplays!
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2011/04/Fenn-avatar-trio-jpg.jpg?t=4db5df9f9ef63

Crits? Complements? For a first-time cosplayer I was very satisfied with the outcome, but I also learned some good lessons from my mistakes. Next year I'll do an even better job.

I'm finally home. ;-;
I had a pretty good time myself, though TBH i only went to the 18+ events (and the rave & AMV contest!), and spent most of my time wandering and in the artist ally/dealers room. >.>;

I'm glad you had a great time!

(BTW, did you see me? On Saturday I was Hanon from Mermaid Melody (Blue and frilly from head to toe), and in the afternoon I was Anya from Code Geass(without the jacket).) I only saw one Zuko, which could have been you, but I was in a hurry to do something and didn't have time to ask (*can't remember what it was lolol*).

I'm not sure, I was only there Friday. And I don't know anime very well at all. Actually the convention was a great way to learn more about the anime scene!

Evil_Cake
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
that aang looks like some person in my animation class

Rio
04-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Yay - pics! <3 <3
...Fenn, you need to work on your mean face. You don't look mean enough. You should take lessons from Bya. She's got the "I'm gonna beat you up" look down pat.

jubeh
04-25-2011, 10:49 PM
In that third picture everyone behind you is wearing a hat. Was it like hat day or something.

CypressDahlia
04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Impressive for a first time. The face burn is very believable.

Blue_Dragon
04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Cool pics. Very well done! :)

butternut
04-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Awesome! Looks pretty good...

You know what Fenn? For some reason, I always imagined you to look like the little kid in your avatar.. xD

Rio
04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah, you should've gone as Sokka. xD

Zoe
04-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Awesome job! And the scar looks really awesome, I'm horrible at special effect type makeup.;-;

My costumes:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215858_10150236725678296_729243295_8518953_7151961 _n.jpg
PICTURE BY Rich C. (http://www.pbase.com/richard03ca/profile)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/216370_157738064290274_100001622453376_374118_5574 172_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229703_217782831566553_100000045125413_882059_5174 319_n.jpg
Me and my little sister <3

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227308_217782921566544_100000045125413_882062_7953 5_n.jpg
Me and my boyfriend!

Ozzaharwood
04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Nice pics Zoe, love the wigs XD

jubeh
04-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Can your boyfriend do a dempsey roll.

Fenn
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone!

Yay - pics! <3 <3
...Fenn, you need to work on your mean face. You don't look mean enough. You should take lessons from Bya. She's got the "I'm gonna beat you up" look down pat.

You're right. Fortunately it's a face I almost never use, but I did need to get meaner. It's tough not to have my lips curve up though while trying to wink, for some reason.

Awesome! Looks pretty good...

You know what Fenn? For some reason, I always imagined you to look like the little kid in your avatar.. xD

HAHA! That is what it looks like when I try to paint though. I'm definitely more of a pencil guy.

Yeah, you should've gone as Sokka. xD

I thought about it, but there was no way I was growing hair enough for a ponytail, and I wasn't kean on a wig. Plus, the scar! I got so many looks from "normal" people on the train for that.

I have an idea for next year but I'm not telling :) (Hint: it also is/was from Nickelodeon)

Awesome job! And the scar looks really awesome, I'm horrible at special effect type makeup.;-;

My costumes:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215858_10150236725678296_729243295_8518953_7151961 _n.jpg
PICTURE BY Rich C. (http://www.pbase.com/richard03ca/profile)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/216370_157738064290274_100001622453376_374118_5574 172_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229703_217782831566553_100000045125413_882059_5174 319_n.jpg
Me and my little sister <3

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227308_217782921566544_100000045125413_882062_7953 5_n.jpg
Me and my boyfriend!

Those costumes! So cool, and the first is just beautiful! I feel like I might have seen you in the blue dress, but I'm not sure. Was I the Zuko you saw.

Also, would you believe that scar was the first time ever doing makeup for me? For all my painting failures, mixing the makeup colors, and working with different strokes felt very natural.

Zoe
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Can your boyfriend do a dempsey roll.

Yes, actually. xD

@Fenn: Thanks! And I think it was actually the other Zuko in the second picture.

Fenn
04-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks! And I think it was actually the other Zuko in the second picture.

Poser.

butternut
04-28-2011, 02:20 AM
You look awesome Zoe! especially in the blue dress!

HAHA! That is what it looks like when I try to paint though. I'm definitely more of a pencil guy.

Yea, i know! Same here!