PDA

View Full Version : why is it so hard to draw

shimario
12-28-2012, 08:59 PM
like the title says why is it so hard to draw i mean i've been practicing here and there but i've mostly been doing tracing. i can picture the drawing in my head but when i go to draw it it looks crap or it doesn't look anything like it i wonder why that is. Artist how are you so good at drawing did it just come to you naturally or what?

jubeh
12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
If it was easy there would be nothing special about it

shimario
12-28-2012, 09:12 PM
well i figured that but i'm trying to learn how to draw because i cant find anyone to draw my manga for me. i've been practicing but it's difficult

jubeh
12-28-2012, 09:22 PM
It only gets harder, really. Consider if you actually tried to make a living as a comic artist. There are deadlines you have to deal with, editors, and any anatomical errors you make are on display for everyone in the world to make fun of like we do in the chatterbox.

If you want an easy job you should stop drawing and get on that business degree.

ClockHand
12-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Sucker Tip: It doesn't mater the quality of your drawing, but how you tell the story (for comic and mangas).

Edit: What jubeh said, it gets harder. I'm not even professional or even good, and I'm already thinking that suicide would be a good option to deal with the deadlines and awful producers/editors.

JJJorgie
12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Also, it's a skill that takes years to develope. Unless, you're a miracleworker, it's going to take more than practicing "here and there" to really get great.

shimario
12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
well this isnt going to be my job its just going to be a side thing that i'm working on im actually planning on becoming a game designer but if i could draw my manga and get it published then it would be pretty cool.

jubeh
12-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Take it from a dude who had similar plans -- choose one.

shimario
12-28-2012, 10:01 PM
well if the manga thing doesn't work out like if i cant find someone to draw it then i'll just make it into a book. im already on the 6th chapter about to be on 7th the only problem with writing a book is that im not very good at describing things. and i hear that some books have become anime shows/ cartoon though i'd rather it be a anime show.

ClockHand
12-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Also, probably both sides have the same end: if you are not really committed to it, you are going to suffer a hell.

shimario
12-28-2012, 10:03 PM
well being a game designer is probably more easier cuz your not the only one working on the game. unlike a manga it's either you or you and a partner working on it.

ClockHand
12-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Neither with comics, many comic artist work on teams or have students with them. No one works alone. And the amount of work on both paths is crazy.

jubeh
12-28-2012, 10:21 PM
There is not a single thing easy about game design. Nothing easy about programming, doing art, or music. And to find people to work with would require you having some sort of value. Everybody hates the idea man that has no skills but so many ideas.

ClockHand
12-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Aka, The Boss. jejeje.

shimario
12-28-2012, 10:32 PM
iv actually tried to design a game myself i got about half way through it i havent worked on it for a while but i do know its hard to make a game. i tried fiddling with the unreal engine its quite difficult.

GunZet
12-29-2012, 01:17 AM
We get good at art because we practice, and if it you think it looks like total shite, it's probably because it is. Therefore we practice more in response.
Practice doesn't make perfect, but it makes a helluva lot better. Though it does help to have that natural artist blood to give you that headstart, I'll admit, but that's only part of the story. Someone can be born with the talent of an artist and never do anything with it for many reasons.

Some people can start their life in art REALLY late and get up to a professional level through a FUCKING TON of dedication, practice, and hard work. So get on those last three italicized words.

Rubisko
12-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Practice and understanding is all you need. For a long, long time I believed that there was some "magic" involved in drawing good. When I was a kid I was the one in the class who drew good, but I didn't understand why. When I was 18-19 I still didn't know why the stuff i drew looked nice, but I could see that it didn't look as nice as the drawings made by professional artists. Because I still believed that they were just naturally(or rather, magically) better than me I kind of left it at that, and decided to be an engineer instead. Then about a year ago I first heard about the "fundamentals of drawing", and that explained a lot. If you learn and understand the fundamentals, and practice a lot then you will be able to draw well. So that's what I'm trying to do now, because I want to be able to draw and design as a profession.

Celestial-Fox
12-29-2012, 09:41 AM
I contend that drawing isn't more difficult than most other things. All advanced arts, even sciences, require a lot of practice to master.

GunZet
12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I'd say the hardest part about art is living up to your own standard.

ClockHand
12-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Unless you have low standards?

We should all draw sonic hedge hogs on deviant art as a living =/

Rubisko
12-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Unless you have low standards?

We should all draw sonic hedge hogs on deviant art as a living =/

As long as you make them reek of repressed sexuality, that seems to be the golden rule

Fenn
12-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Everybody hates the idea man that has no skills but so many ideas.

Is there ANY JOB where I can get paid to do this? Because if there is, sign me up. I'm beginning to resent my wild, vibrant imagination, because I can't express any of it sufficiently without expecting a decade of painstaking drudgery first.

jubeh
12-29-2012, 10:22 PM
no

Fenn
12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
no

Forget the job, I don't even need the money. Recreational activity? Casual hobby? Guilty pleasure? anything?

jubeh
12-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Fenn based on your history your game design ideas are outdated and you suffer from a lack of sufficient research so even if that job did exist you wouldn't be qualified for it. If you need an outlet for game design the obvious course of action is tabletop games since they don't require large teams or any technical knowledge.

Fenn
12-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Fenn based on your history your game design ideas are outdated and you suffer from a lack of sufficient research so even if that job did exist you wouldn't be qualified for it. If you need an outlet for game design the obvious course of action is tabletop games since they don't require large teams or any technical knowledge.

Man you always tell me exactly what I need to hear but don't want to accept. I get so caught up in my own ideas, in EVERY art form, I ignore what's already there, wind up way behind the times and lack any sort of knowledge base.

Thank you sir.

GunZet
12-30-2012, 01:08 AM
What you described sounds like an art director, but they're responsible for a lot more than just churning out ideas and visions.

ClockHand
12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Not even the art director has all the power that Fenn wants. Anyway art direction (as any kind of direction) is more than just telling people what to do, you have a lot of work and stress.

Fenn
12-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Not even the art director has all the power that Fenn wants. Anyway art direction (as any kind of direction) is more than just telling people what to do, you have a lot of work and stress.

So your saying there's no way to gain access to an army of mindless underlings who will do my bidding and make all my absurd, outdated art and video game ideas come to life?

jubeh
12-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Not unless you become a north korean dictator

shimario
12-30-2012, 09:14 PM
or if your Aladeen from the dictator lol

Black_Shaggie
12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I pretty much agree with Gunz & Fox on this one. Hard work, dedication & practice are all you need to improve your art. Of the three, I'd say dedication is the most important. Talent helps though.

Yukie
01-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Practice is very important too (I daresay more than dedication? But definitely debatable). I think the best way to improve is to accept commissions or do free requests. Then you accumulate a huuuge waitlist and if you work too slow, your commissioners start nagging you day and night, which forces you to pump out more and more drawings. Good for motivation, definitely not good for your stress level. :p

ClockHand
01-01-2013, 12:23 AM
You need to like it, because stress is going to be a every day thing.

Rubisko
01-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Working hard is good and all, but just striding along aimlessly isn't necessarily going to help. I think it helps a lot to set up goals for everything you try to do, because that makes it easier to evaluate your own progress and improve where you're weak.

tamara27berry
01-05-2013, 06:46 AM
like the title says why is it so hard to draw i mean i've been practicing here and there but i've mostly been doing tracing. i can picture the drawing in my head but when i go to draw it it looks crap or it doesn't look anything like it i wonder why that is. Artist how are you so good at drawing did it just come to you naturally or what?

I believe it is their talent. Honestly, I am also trying my best to draw but it always fails me...

BunnyVoid
01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
On drawing...

as something to do for a living (am in architecture field) I will share a bit of my experience as a part timer in a landscape firm.
You have to love it.
You have to love it enough that you can sacrifice time with friends, family, and own pleasures just to meet deadlines.
Sometimes, you will not sleep for days. Sometimes your weekends are taken. The work you must do occupies you even in lunch breaks and notices come even during baths.
You will just be drawing, drawing and drawing over and over. Correcting mistakes, adding ideas, and sometimes restarting from scratch.
Lucky if inspiration struck you but most of the time it will be repetitive and annoyingly detailed.

After these tiresome days of just drawing (or coding on architecture software in my case), you will have to show up with your boss or your client to discuss whether previous revisions were done. After that meeting, do not expect it to be the end because you are most likely up to another round of revisions. Note that most of the time (specially in client meetings) no one would even take notice of the great things you did because everyone is so busy doing what has to be done so that the drawing (the building or landscape in my case) could actually be achieved. Lucky if the client is generous enough to drop small tiny compliments about every so little thing you did but that rarely happens.

Its a painful experience but personally after going through a lot more like this and you realize you still want it then you must have loved drawing (or architecture or whatever).

You must learn to pat your own self on the back, not necessarily for doing a good job but at least trying to. The best part if the thing gets finally approved and published (or be built in case of architecture). Though, it is highly recommended that you must already be happy with the act of drawing itself rather than the outcome of it.

If it helps, think of the other people who has lost the opportunity to draw due to accidents (loss of their eyesight or if their arms were cut off). Think that it is better that we have been give a chance to draw and don't take it for granted.

In plain terms, you should love it and understand that love is most likely about sacrifice.

GunZet
01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Sacrifice is good and all, and mostly a requirement, but do remember too much of anything can be harmful. You could easily kill your love of something by giving it too much love, so much love that you start to lack love for other things.

You still need to keep balance so you don't destroy yourself following your dream/profession, because it can happen, and does happen.

BunnyVoid
01-21-2013, 11:09 PM
yahhh... i should keep that in mind too...
thanks for that comment. its kind of thoughtful really.

ClockHand
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Have you guys read "I am sick" Johnen Vasquez? It basically an anti teaching, it encourage to work alone, never listen to teams or superiors and always sacrifice your social life.

Kodos
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I think you mean I Feel Sick? The sort of follow-up to JTHM and Squee? The one starring Devi?

ClockHand
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Ah ya that one. The one starring Devi.

Sylux
01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Jhonen Vasquez is the fucking best. :3