PDA

View Full Version : Drawing programs?

Hell_Baron
12-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey folks, does anyone know some good freeware drawing programs?
i've tried using Bamboo Paper, but suffice to say, it's kind of lacking...
so if you would be so kind as to post a suggestion and a link to the download, then that would be great.

GunZet
12-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I'll list out a few.

#1 GIMP : Totally free, pretty damn good, steep learning curve when it comes to tools and the UI.
#2 Sketchbook Pro 2011 : Students get all Autodesk programs for free, though I don't know if this is international, and I don't know if you are a student.
#3 Inkscape : Again totally free. Focuses on vector graphics.

Those are the top ones I know about that are free.

Demonfyre
12-13-2012, 01:53 PM
You could also use the group board

theAnimeRebel
12-13-2012, 06:11 PM
HAH! Like that place ever works right... (crashes me computer every time, me harties)

#1 GIMP (problems if your using a Mac though... maybe that's just me. *is technologically challenged*)

I haven't used anything else though, besides dAMuro... but Gimp has been wonderful for me.

JJJorgie
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Gimp has a lot of different tools and options. It's what I learned on and is still my main drawing program. FireAlpaca is another free program. It doesn't have a huge selection as far as tools go, but the lines (for me) appear smoother and it has some great perspective gridding options that I haven't found on other programs.

@AnimeRebel: Your computer may have a virus. The GB wouldn't work on my laptop and it turned out my computer had a huge virus that almost shut it down. Once we destroyed the virus, the GB worked perfectly for me. Not to scare you at all, but you might want to run a scan.

theAnimeRebel
12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Nah, it's that I'm too cheap to buy the extra gig of RAM I need to update to the next OS

...Gimp doesn't work on here either.

Rio
12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
There's a bunch of these free softwares listed here (http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?742-The-Ultimate-Indie-Game-Developer-Resource-List&p=79995&viewfull=1#post79995). Look under Art (Software - Graphic). :>

TenaciousD
12-31-2012, 02:15 AM
That was an awesome list !

Here are some you can look at:(All FREE, just google them)
Artweaver (Free Version)
Deep Paint (commercial product that became free later on)
MyPaint
LazPaint
LiveBrush (Adobe Air required but its awesome!)
Magix Photo Clinic 4.5 (on Cnet completely free)
Old version of Open Canvas ver 1 (http://www.flat2d.com/opencanvas_en.aspx)
Vicmans photo editor
Chasys Draw IES

and these are just the one I remembered! There are probably much more out there too! But it depends on what you want you want from them.

Yukie
01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
I know you asked only for free programs, and you probably have enough suggestions to last you a lifetime, but if you're okay with spending even a liiiitle amount of money, I would highly suggest SAI Painter. I think it's 50 USD which may be more than what you're willing to pay, but trust me, it is the most amazing drawing program I've used by far and definitely worth the money (and you can share the cost with friends). I was using Photoshop before, and in comparison, painting in SAI Painter feels like painting on a glass surface, or on water. You don't have all the fancy editing tools PS has to offer, and I don't even think it has a text editor. But for drawing, it is seriously the best.

They offer a free 30-day trial or something so you can give it a try to see if it's for you.
(I sound like I'm advertising, but I am in no way affiliated with the company. I'm just in love with this program hahaha.)

apples13
01-07-2013, 02:55 AM
not free but the new big thing these days is clip studio paint. basically the upgraded version of paint tool sai

GunZet
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Photoshop CS2 is now free if nobody has heard.
http://gizmodo.com/5973730/grab-photoshop-and-cs2-for-absolutely-free-right-here

Lucifer
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Apparently not true, adobe link doesn't work, twitter link is broken and comments suggest that this gift was only for people that purchased CS2 somewhere in the past and need to reinstall the software due to the registration servers being offline. Bottom line: no free photoshop :(

Guess I'll stick to GIMP then.

GunZet
01-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Well I was fishy about it to begin with, cause let's face it; It's Adobe.

One could still hope though.

Black_Shaggie
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
What's wrong with Adobe? Besides Flexi Sign (which is what I design large format vector stuff with at work), Adobe Creative Suite is my bread and butter. Of course, you gotta know how to use them shits...

Superdooperphailmachine
01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I just downloaded that Photoshop thing, so I think it works.

Lucifer
01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Hmm, strange that it does work now :/

Maybe public pressure got to them?

GaBo
01-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Yeah, it works fine.

Matt
01-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Downloaded the first two discs of CS2 really fast and now it's still loading the disc three page.

Is there any reason for Adobe to continue selling CS2 for actual money? Pirates already get everything free, so why not offer it free officially and make more money from ads and stuff than you have from CS2 sales in ten years?

Rio
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
There are actual reasons why some people still use older programs. For example, there are features in CS3 that was phased out in later versions of the CS suites. It's a feature I use consistently so I was a little miffed when it was gone in the later versions. Not only that but older versions tend to work in more recent OS's so if you're short on cash, don't want to spend money when you still have a working graphic software, and so on - why upgrade?

'Sides, if Adobe makes it free, most people will tend to think it's public domain and it's far from being that as it's a product that is still being improved and upgraded. If anything, Adobe should offer them as value softwares for deep discounts since they're so old.