PDA

View Full Version : So this exists...

Linz
12-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Prepare yourselves for this cause I just came across JESUS: THE ANIME.

http://youtu.be/gIDYvg73RuM

Here is a clip.
Kinda gruesome tbh. NSFW.

I dig it. Alot.

corastaur
12-08-2012, 04:50 PM
That was awesome, but extremely upsetting at the same time. :(

Linz
12-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I agree.

I'm not religious at all and tbh i'm not THAT much of an anime fan, but i loved this clip for the emotion. It really got you right in the heart. @_@ Love itttt.

corastaur
12-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Definitely. It was definitely very touching! Gotta admit though, it was really hard to watch at some parts... Who in the world decided that crucifixion was a good way to execute criminals??? It's just absolutely brutal. I dont think I realized how excruciatingly painful it would be until I watched this...

jubeh
12-08-2012, 06:31 PM
He should have used hokuto ujo ken

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/5629/tokidenlh9.gif

JJJorgie
12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Wow, that was MUCH better than I expected!!!

Who in the world decided that crucifixion was a good way to execute criminals??? It's just absolutely brutal. I dont think I realized how excruciatingly painful it would be until I watched this...

Yes, especially since you're basically just very slowly suffocating to death

corastaur
12-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, especially since you're basically just very slowly suffocating to death

Yup :/ plus nails in your hands and feet. That would really suck...

Linz
12-08-2012, 10:21 PM
I dunno, I like to immerse myself in the worlds brutal history. People did this to other people. People like you and me. How anyone could do anything that horrific to another human being is beyond me, whether Jesus existed or not, Crucifixion was real. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if they actually did nail the hands and feet. I think they basically just tied them up and waited for their bodies to collapse into themselves. Although crucifixion was also used in Japan as well as the Roman empire, so I may be getting mixed up. Also, interesting tidbit, and I only know this cause I'm Scottish, but St Andrew was also crucified but on an X, hence our flag 'St Andrews Cross.'

BUT YEAH. Awesome anime, not gonna lie I teared up a few times and actually grimaced at the absolute horror of the wounds. Very well done indeed. Don't know why this isn't more popular.

JJJorgie
12-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I know they would nail some people's wrists; I'm not sure if they nailed everyone's. But it was more of another torture than to hold them up (the nails went through the most painful nerves wrists).

ClockHand
12-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Yup :/ plus nails in your hands and feet. That would really suck...

Actually its a misconception, they nailed the wrist and attached the feet with a rope. Its a common christian misconception as most images of christ have the nails on the hands, but its being proved countless of time that they placed the nails on the wrist, which make a horrible "electrical" pain in the whole body and its a good way to attach someone to something as the wrist has a little opening between its bones.

Also, they didn't crucify to execute the criminals (which weren't every criminal), because crucified people died by starvation or thirst. I read one time that some people used to give water and food to crucified people to make them live longer.

Finally, apparently crucification was a praxis from the old jew traditions to the most horrible criminals, a little like how stoning people was that too. But I find it way more interesting how torture evolve in the latest years with medieval times and christianity (which basically supported the most horrible crimes to humanity). But to not blame everything on christians and jewish, greeks also had some pretty gross executions, like the brazen bull where the victim was placed inside a bronze bull and then heated with a stove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazen_bull

indescribable
12-09-2012, 02:21 AM
Don't forget the part where they went around breaking their legs too. Ugh, some of the things people can come up with. Check out the latest Criminal Minds episode if you ever want a reminder.

And yeah, Linz, the crucifixion story is commonly thought to be one of the most emotional stories in the Bible. It's a shame that more people don't realize that you don't have to be religious to appreciate many of the biblical narratives. People tend to get caught up in the arguments, I guess.

Kodos
12-09-2012, 03:54 AM
The Crucifixion story is terrible from a secular standpoint as well, though. Talking purely from a literary standpoint here, Jesus' whole story is leading up to this big heroic sacrifice except, you know, it's not. Even ignoring the fact that as an omnipotent being Jesus is literally incapable of sacrifice, he gets better. He stops being dead! He doesn't even spend a full week before he's back up and all better. Christ's resurrection completely destroys whatever weight and gravitas his 'sacrifice' had.

There's a reason most writing guides mention that when you have a heroic sacrifice, or any character death, you shouldn't bring them back. It cheapens their death and makes meaningless. The story of Christ would work far, far, far, better if he stayed dead.

indescribable
12-09-2012, 05:40 AM
I'm not trying to say that the crucifixion story, or any of the other biblical stories, would have great literary merit. I said that the crucifixion story is commonly thought to be one of the most emotional stories in the Bible. Stop. I also said that biblical stories have the potential to be appreciated by others. A possible, well-known example: Prince of Egypt.

I admit that putting those two sentences within the same paragraph could have implied I was talking about this one story specifically. I wasn't. My bad. However, that being said, someone obviously did appreciate this story regardless of its flaws, or this thread wouldn't exist.

Kodos
12-09-2012, 07:30 AM
The Moses story actually is a lot more solidly constructed than the Christ one. The tension and conflict there is interesting and while the Bible ignores the most interesting aspect of the conflict (the fact Pharaoh and Moses were brothers) it doesn't sabotage the central themes or ideas of the story the way Christ's resurrection sabotages the heroic sacrifice.

I've never seen Prince of Egypt, mind, but I always mean to. Just sort of keep forgetting to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kqqMXWEFs

Gedeon
12-09-2012, 07:36 AM
You cried at that? I mean im sorry(i dont wanna belittle anyones personal experience with any kind of media, specifically it struck them enough for them to let the tears flow) but if that made cry for the ...emotion it had in them.... well you did say you didnt watch a lot of anime o i kinda get it...but i belive there is waaaay more emotional and scary stuff in the anime/comic/movie genre then that.

ClockHand
12-09-2012, 12:16 PM
It always bother me that Moses killed the son of his "stepbrother" just because God told him he must do it to free his people. Well Moses story has plenty of terrible things, like most of the old testament... and the new one. Shit, now I remember that most stories on the bible are just terrible, and they used to gave me nightmares.

Linz
12-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm not trying to say that the crucifixion story, or any of the other biblical stories, would have great literary merit. I said that the crucifixion story is commonly thought to be one of the most emotional stories in the Bible. Stop. I also said that biblical stories have the potential to be appreciated by others. A possible, well-known example: Prince of Egypt.

I admit that putting those two sentences within the same paragraph could have implied I was talking about this one story specifically. I wasn't. My bad. However, that being said, someone obviously did appreciate this story regardless of its flaws, or this thread wouldn't exist.

I feckin LOVE the Prince of Egypt. The music, the art, it's just so awesome. It's also a huge part of my childhood since me and my dad watched it all the time and sang along like fools, haha.

Gedeon, every one of us has different emotional triggers. I know there are worse anime's than this in terms of gore and horror, and yeah i've seen a few of the gorey ones. What upset me is not the anime itself, but the fact that this form of torture existed/exists and how humans can do such horrible things to one another. You say you don't want to belittle anyone's experiences with any media, but your statement definitely tells another story. I'm not emotionally disturbed by it, I was absorbed in the story and I applaud the creators of this anime because in a space of 10 minutes, they grasped you and pulled at your emotional strings. THAT is why I love it. It could've been anime, live action, comic, etc. It was the fact that it was so well done./rant.

jubeh
12-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Have you ever seen a passion play?

Linz
12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't think I have. Although the term reminds me of...other things.

jubeh
12-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Okay well that's basically what this is minus the trial and stuff. Maybe you'd like them.

ram
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I've never seen Prince of Egypt, mind, but I always mean to. Just sort of keep forgetting to.

You'll be surprised at how different it is from the bible, You'll really see Moses as a good guy.

Kodos
12-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Eh. Moses is kind of the most evil and wretched person in the Bible besides God himself. Dude is seriously a complete monster. But I will give it a go sometime.

Linz
12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Moses is kinda hot in the Prince of Egypt. Jus' sayin'.

corastaur
12-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Moses is kinda hot in the Prince of Egypt. Jus' sayin'.

So true.

Linz
12-10-2012, 12:51 PM
So is Rameses. Mmmm. Also, Rameses mum is a total MILF

corastaur
12-10-2012, 01:03 PM
hahaha agreed. Moses' mom was pretty as well, tho not quite as pretty...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_matzqiZtMe1rgoah1o1_500.gif
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-enJr0jVoN30/Tl4a0BnIwyI/AAAAAAAAAAA/AN-YT5aUF2Q/s1600/prince-of-egypt-movie-still-2.jpg
she looks tired here which makes sense.

Linz
12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Moses' mother had a beautiful singing voice. And that scene where shes singing the lullaby, and its just a shot of her face...and the tears are running down, good grief it gets me everytime @_@

corastaur
12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes! Ugh right in the feels. :/ Also the "there can be miracles" song/scene makes me tear up every time.

Linz
12-10-2012, 01:43 PM
YES D: I also love the plagues scenes, the music is just arrghghgh. Didn't the Prince of Egypt win awards? Or am I actually making this up ahahah

corastaur
12-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I think it won some kind of award... maybe music?

JJJorgie
12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Hans Zimmer's music was just incredible in that film. Even the instrumentals were touching!

Yukie
01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I agree! I absolutely looooved the music. Especially the lullaby the mother sings.

There's a French musical too! (The French have the best musicals imho.)
Doesn't matter if you don't understand, y'all know the story anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPBWFcw1oA
They're singing about being separated as brothers by duty, and that there will always be a part missing. Super powerful!

Anyway, watched the Jesus anime. Wow. I don't know what to say...