PDA

View Full Version : PAPER OR PLASTIC?

Black_Shaggie
11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Seriously, if you don't know what this post is about you should just go green.

- - - Updated - - -

Me personally, I prefer paper bags when I can find them. Kind of scarce these days.

ClockHand
11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vifk1DXd1ry57mmo1_400.jpg

Black_Shaggie
11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
http://static.designformankind.com/images/2010/08/paper-bag-man-412x278.jpg

Linz
11-28-2012, 02:20 PM
This seems more CB than GD tbh.

GunZet
11-28-2012, 02:24 PM
It could be turned into a legit environmental discussion. So far, no dice. We'll see what Psy says.

Psy
11-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Yea this ain't going to fly unless you start discussing it seriously.

Linz
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Plastic, because paper is a terrible idea for shopping bags. Especially where I live. For example:
Clouds: OIC U HAV A PAPER BAG THUR? LEMME JUST RAIN ON THAT FOR YOU.
Paperbag: -Disintegrates-
Shopping: -Everywhere-
Me: ...Fml.

GunZet
11-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Not even just cause of that, but sometimes you'll be carrying something relatively weighty in a paper bag. And it'll just fall right through eventually, since it's bopping up and down on the bottom of the bag all the time from walking, lol.
This is why when I use a paper bag I hold it on the bottom with my palm if I can.

Psy
11-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Plastic can also still be reused more than once. I want to say there's art made with it and I think there's even a way to make a bag out of weaving plastic bags together.
Since its mostly on topic what do you think of taxing plastic bags? .10c per bag at the store was proposed in California but I don't think every county does it if at all.

ClockHand
11-28-2012, 03:12 PM
"Man, plastic is soo no-green, paper can be recycled, so its obviously way better for the world"
-"Yeah, but I can reuse the same plastic bag over and over again. And in a: who is more green contest; I believe trees would agree that reusing plastic bags is more green, you wanna-be-hippie-asshole"

Rio
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
They should start using rice bags (the bigger ones, not the several oz ones). They're generally made of the sturdier, weaved plastics and it lasts forever.

Re taxes> I don't like the idea of taxes. Next thing you know, they'll be having an air tax so the monies can be used to clean up the smog. :<

GunZet
11-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Potato bags. The way to go.

Celestial-Fox
11-28-2012, 05:30 PM
They should start using rice bags (the bigger ones, not the several oz ones). They're generally made of the sturdier, weaved plastics and it lasts forever.

Bamboo and hemp weaves are also a heck of a lot sturdier than paper (they can both be made into either fabric or paper bags), and they are less absorbent of water.

We shouldn't have many more commodity taxes, but I think we need to more heavily tax traditional fields like income, et cetera, and reform the federal management thereof—starting with decreased militarization.

Hayashida
11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
idk what its like in the States, but around here you can buy these reusable cloth bags from the grocery stores and you can just put your shopping in them when u buy stuff. They're p strong and you can fit a lotta shit in there so they're p good.

Psy
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
We have them as well but most people only have one or two but buy like 8 bags with of stuff. And from a retail point of view they aren't all to convienent because we are taught that you don't put any kind of chemical product I the same bag as a food item even if both are sealed up tight. So if some one brings in one bag and buys a gallon of bleach and say some produce what do I do?
It would not bother me if I had a self bagging area but I am the one bagging it all so I get blamed if anything happens.
The sizes aren't that great either and I hear from a lot of customers that its a hassle to remember to bring the bags along with them.

Hayashida
11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
doesnt the grocery store have stickers for products too big to put in the bags? Couldn't they put that on the bottle of bleach and just leave it in the cart?

Blue_Dragon
11-29-2012, 04:28 AM
I love the cloth bags: some places give you them for free. If not, they don't cost much and they're really handy. I personally prefer paper, because even if you reuse your plastic bags, they're gonna wear in time, and then you have to throw them out. Then it takes 500 years for them to biodegrade, that's if any oxygen can get to them. Not that paper is much better, because of destroying carbon sinks and they also can only biodegrade if oxygen can reach them (which doesn't happen much in a land fill,) but I can use them for leaf compost or rip them up and put them in my own compost pile.

I bet those potato bags are pretty cool though.

trilokcool3
11-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Isn't it just like that smoking causes death, knowing that even people smoke everyday.
Vehicles causes pollution, knowing that even people buy personal cars.
And plastic is in that similar condition now. May be it will just take a hell lot of years to REALIZE ALL THESE .

GunZet
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
More specifically 'disposable' plastic is the issue. Technically all plastic is disposable, but you won't go throw your 500 dollar phone away like you will a plastic bag. I think the big issues just pop up when toxic stuff becomes highly disposable, or has a negative output. But then again, it is really convenient.

Rio
11-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Actually, there were news about a microbe that can "eat" plastic (http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110328/full/news.2011.191.html) so it's just a matter of when something like that can be used on a large scale so plastics can be recycled so to speak.

jubeh
11-29-2012, 02:31 PM
"Man, plastic is soo no-green, paper can be recycled, so its obviously way better for the world"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBRquiS1pis

Blue_Dragon
12-01-2012, 05:07 AM
^That whole routine was hilarious. I miss him :(

Aether
12-02-2012, 12:08 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a place use paper bags in Australia.

We do have those cloth ones you can buy though, but I'm not gonna shell out $1 for a bag. To be quite honest, I don't give enough of a fuck about the environment to do anything about it.

Hayashida
12-02-2012, 03:02 AM
oh you don't care about the environment? That's kinda fucked up, man.

jubeh
12-02-2012, 05:34 AM
I imagine he's speaking for all australians

Hayashida
12-02-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2baG40Jpn2M#t=65s

we try to ride bikes when we can, global crisis and whatnot

Blue_Dragon
12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't think I'd care about the environment either, if all the most deadliest animals lived in my backyard.

Just playin'

Aether
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
oh you don't care about the environment? That's kinda fucked up, man.TO INDUSTRY!
http://geopolicraticus.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/fat-cat-cigar.jpg

Celestial-Fox
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I care about the environment, but probably not as much as I should.

GunZet
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
I dunno Aeth, you're kinda giving at least something to some industry every time you bother to check the internets.
But yea, I don't really do jack for the environment. I mean without all those dead Canadian maples, I wouldn't be able to skate. And Chinese wood sucks.

Hayashida
12-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Canadian maples

fuck YEUH

Evil_Cake
12-02-2012, 11:11 PM
hes drinking their blood and riding around on them like hes da boss, and that makes u happy?

Celestial-Fox
12-02-2012, 11:13 PM
D: I just ride my bike. No car or anything. Just walking and public transit, if it's too distant.

nextweek
12-03-2012, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabrorRS8

Aether
12-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I dunno Aeth, you're kinda giving at least something to some industry every time you bother to check the internets.Uh, hence why I said "to industry".

GunZet
12-03-2012, 01:47 AM
I thought you were being sarcastic, homie.

Aether
12-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Never sarcastic when it comes to industry.

Hayashida
12-03-2012, 02:49 AM
hes drinking their blood and riding around on them like hes da boss, and that makes u happy?

yeah fuck da maples

Black_Shaggie
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Dang. Two pages & we've devolved into average MT Forum shananigans in this thread. They will inevitably come. Always. I do appreciate the effort of talking about seriously before the jokes though.

I'm still all about some paper bags...because I use 'em for other stuff at home & those little plastic bags just get on my nerves for some reason.

Celestial-Fox
12-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't think any stores offer paper bags here. At least anymore.

theAnimeRebel
12-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Paper... duh. They compost, thereby aiding in not filling landfills... and don't kill sea turtles.

jubeh
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
You'll be singing a different tune when the sea turtles invade us

Evil_Cake
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
one about sea turtles murdering people

JJJorgie
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't think any stores offer paper bags here. At least anymore.

The only place I can think of is our base's commissary, but they're hard to carry and always rip :/

theAnimeRebel
12-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Hah hah! NOOOO not the sea turtles!!!

(And if your store doesn't offer plastic... bring your own cloth bags in and encourage people to do the same. Sheesh. Plastic ain't the only option... although they are useful for causing heart attacks when driving alone on a windy, dark night after just having seen the latest ghost movie...)

Celestial-Fox
12-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I've used the cloth bags several times. I like them because they're easier on the hands and don't break.

Rio
12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
The only place I saw paper bags is Whole Foods which was kind of surprising since almost every store uses plastic. Either that or you don't get nothin' like in Ikea. :|

But yeah, they should bring back paper bags just for the reason that kids can use them for text book covers and draw on them. :<

Celestial-Fox
12-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Haha, you can but paper bags in stores for lunches, so all hope isn't lost!

Black_Shaggie
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah paper bags have a motherload of uses if you ask me. I wrap packages w/ em, use em for blotters when I'm inking or painting stuff, use em for makeshift masks & costumes for my grand (yes I said grand...) neices & nephews...all kinds crap.

Its odd that yous guys say that paper bags are scarce because almost every store here in Nashville that I frequent had the option. I mean, the bag boys catch an attitude when I ask because they have to go to the back and get em sometimes, but they're their.

Again, I really hate them plastic bags...

Celestial-Fox
12-05-2012, 11:29 PM
There's only one store I can think of here that even HAS bag boys. D:

GunZet
12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
The only paper bags I see anymore are the really big ones or the really small ones. All sizes are still in circulation, but plastic is just far more durable in terms of strength and carrying shite.
But sometimes you gotta double-bag.

Aether
12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Its odd that yous guys say that paper bags are scarce because almost every store here in Nashville that I frequent had the option. I mean, the bag boys catch an attitude when I ask because they have to go to the back and get em sometimes, but they're their.Maybe Nashville is just way more eco-friendly then the rest of the world.

By the way, why do you Americans even have bag boys. They're seriously unnecessary.

jubeh
12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Eliminating jobs eh. You're thinking like an american.

Celestial-Fox
12-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Can't say the supermarket business is struggling, so they can afford to have baggers? /shrug

Aether
12-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Eliminating jobs eh. You're thinking like an american.http://bodymatters.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fat_cat_cartoon.jpg

Rio
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
They're seriously unnecessary.Depends if you buy a lot of groceries or not. Having them there makes the line go faster and it really helps when the store is busy.

Aether
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Depends if you buy a lot of groceries or not. Having them there makes the line go faster and it really helps when the store is busy.But that's what the 12 items or less and self-serve checkouts are for. The latter is far more cost effective.

GunZet
12-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Some people don't know how to use the self-checkout, nor do they always have the time to figure it out. It's also a preference to go to bag-boys for some, such as the elderly.
It's simply giving people a choice. I find the self-checkouts way more convenient, but I still see people going to the bag-boy lines a lot. Once again, mainly the elderly, and people with kids, etc.

jubeh
12-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Some people don't know how to use the self-checkout, nor do they always have the time to figure it out.

They dont have the time so they stand in a line? Instead of using the method designed to get you out faster?

GunZet
12-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't know about you, but here in most stores, the self-checkout is often full cause unlike the bag-boys, they're not trained to get you in the line, scan your shit, and get you out. Instead you get people that are slow as hell and end up bagging for like.. ever.
But since it's so popular, the remaining bag-boy lines are usually open to where you can just ride right in. So which one would really be quicker for people short on time?

jubeh
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Its still the same as nothing you are saying aligns with real life

Evil_Cake
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
go through normal check out if u dont feel like typing in codes for fruit

jubeh
12-11-2012, 08:51 PM
4 sure

GunZet
12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
nothing you are saying aligns with real life

... What?

I assume every time I go to the store, I am in the matrix. Shit makes sense now.

Blue_Dragon
12-16-2012, 07:14 AM
I hate self check-outs simply on the premise they do eliminate jobs. Further, I'm lazy. I just got done doing all my shopping, now I have to do all my own shit too? And then there's the the inevitable fuck up from the machine where a person has to come over anyhow. Or you have too look up the fruit yourself and that. I would rather my money go to pay someone to do a job. I think Aldi's is the only place I don't mind doing my own bagging...otherwise it's just awkward.