PDA

View Full Version : I need feedback about a RTS space game

yildiz89
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi everybody,

Im a java developper and Im developping a game of mine "Yildiz-online".

Just to give you an idea about Yildiz, it is a massively multiplayer strategy game(MMORTS). It's a combination of classical startegy game(like: Homeword or Starcraft) and management game(like: Ogame).

The game takes place in outer space colonized by humans, a lost expedition found abandonned space bases built by unknown civilization. After some centuries they developped and colonized the entire system.

The game is entirely in 3 dimensions. Goal is to develop and assure the management of its base,or if you wish, to create an army to attack other players to steal their resources.

It can be played on windows and linux platform.

I would like please to get your feedback about it (ideas, suggestions..). If you need more details feel free to ask.

Cheers!

http://yildiz.bitbucket.org/screen/5.jpg

http://yildiz.bitbucket.org/screen/8.jpg

Blue_Dragon
11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not gonna be very good with any critiques for computer games, but I personally think the objects/ships/planets are a bit too muted...and not very lively due to the lack of color. I'm not sure how far into development you are, so that may be something you hadn't done yet.

Anyway, sounds like a neat idea! Good luck!

Sylux
11-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Add a bit more lighting and brighten up your textures. You can make the objects pop without wasting too much rendering power by adding colors and simulated lighting to the textures, and then simple ambient lights to make them actually visible. Try using planes with translucent textures scattered about tastefully around the objects, especially the ones in the distance, to simulate a particle effect while maintaining efficiency in the engine. For instance, you could apply these planes around those planets to simulate clouds high in the atmosphere, and you can apply it similarly to resemble "dust" or "air" particles coming from those Space Bases. If you think your engine can handle it, use normal maps to create reaction-effects to lighting on complex surfaces. Even further, if your engine can truly handle it, apply simple bump-maps to get rid of all that extra geometry I'm seeing , especially on the rims of those Space Bases. Unless you can see it in a silhouette, get rid of it geometrically. This is only advice if the game scale you've presented is to be maintained. If There are going to be close-ups on the Space Bases, then you can leave more complex geometrical models. Just keep that in mind if loading the screen with endless Bases is a plausible option for the player. You're doing well, I think, especially with keeping the environment lively with the backgrounds and your simulated nebulae, but try to also brighten up these things. If you can work it out, try taking samples of more super-dense nebulae, such as the eagle nebula, and re-create these as part of the atmosphere. Make nebulae you can drive your ship through, and add interference scripts! Make the ship's computer systems go nuts around them! Create specialized cannons that can burn holes through them you can pass through! Go wild with interesting and fun ideas to make the game brighter not just visually, but the atmosphere that it invokes through interaction with the environments.

GunZet
11-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Moved thread.

CLORIS
12-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Wow, it seems so great!

Thomas
12-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Yeah, such a moving thread.

yildiz89
01-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Thank you guys for your usefull feedback which will be taken into consideration :)

Updates:

If you are interested to try the alpha version of my game, do not hesitate to visit the website page:

http://yildiz.bitbucket.org

yildiz89
01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Updates:

- Asteroid capture is complete and added to the game.

- A new ship is available: the vulture, the mesh is not final and there will be a change on speed, range and damages.

- Soon, it will be able to "jump" to distant location, using an amount of energy.

- Download the game to check the new version which JUST has been deployed on: http://yildiz.bitbucket.org

*Your feedback is always welcomed! :)

http://yildiz.bitbucket.org/screen/10.jpg

yildiz89
01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Updates:

Working on a powerful AI system; goal driven. This will give a better behavior to the units.

yildiz89
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Updates:

-The latest version is deployed with pretty much improvements.

-Check it on : http://yildiz.bitbucket.org

yildiz89
02-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Updates:

- An important part of the software has been rewritten:

*the destruction of units, the code is now way better and less error prone, it was necessary to hunt some bugs really hard to identify.

- Now the focus is on new features and visual improvements; 3 major bugs are left(unit not destroyed when HP = 0, unit not responding to a move order in some case when attacking and the loss of mouse/keyboard when using the unit list window). They shouldnt be too hard to fix, but the exact cause still needs to be identified through more testing.

- Launcher side: The news will now be displayed in the same language as the one chosen for the game(English and French are currently available)

Safoura.
Yildiz-Online Community Manager.

yildiz89
02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Updates:

-The newest version is now deployed. It is mainly focused on internal changes and some minor visual improvements.

-Check it on: http://yildiz.bitbucket.org , and for those who didn't try it yet, you can always download it from the same website.

-A new video is going to be posted soon.

Regards,

Safoura.

yildiz89
03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
The newest release!

Try Yildiz-Online new version by creating an account then downloading the game from the website: Yildiz project (http://yildiz.bitbucket.org)

Bugs fixed:

-Wrong texture in unit list window.
-Exception server side fixed.
-Velocity was not sent with a move action when initialising game.
-Move request ignored when a unit was attacking.
-Wrong staff value for mining guild level 3.

Optimisations:

-Poly count for several objects reduced(firefly is now 3800 instead of 14000!)
-Physic engine compiled with optimisations on.

Improvements:

-Asteroids are now in correct position for 1st planet.
-Improved camera zoom.

Safoura.

yildiz89
03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Updates:

Bug fix:

-The mouse selection lost precision when being far away from the universe center.

New features:

-Added the vulture skill: FTL jump: it cost 150 energy points(vulture have 200 max) and allow you to teleport everywhere on the map in an instant!

-Display game FPS.

The new version is deployed and here is the GamePlay video as promised!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v99a8NstScs

Safoura.

yildiz89
03-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Updates:

Bug fixes:

-mouse and keyboard input were ignored in some cases after using unit list with tactic map open.

-Move lines were buggy, removed.

-Selection was lost after using selection rectangle with empty result.

-Camera positioning was not always set correctly in tactic map.

-Fixed a regression server side causing a high CPU usage(nearly 90%)

Safoura.

yildiz89
03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Update:

The new ship abilities system is progressing(vulture already had a jumping ability but the former system wasn't allowing to add new features easily).

The new ship will be an abilities based ship with no direct attacks but will mainly focuse on zone damages with missile launch.

Safoura.

yildiz89
03-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Updates:

- Missile system is progressing well, there are only some few visual improvements to be done before the new release.

- The GUI will be also slightly changed so that to allow the access to management screens without any need to select the base.

Safoura.

yildiz89
04-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Updates:

- The newest release should be ready soon. It will contain numerous bug fixes, some visual and GUI improvements, new features for the engine(now the shader is ready)and the New ship !

- Tasks persistance (server side) is now added. Once started, server will be in the same state as before being closed.

yildiz89
04-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Updates:

- The new ship is ready with a better lightening system.

- Slight UI and performance improvement. Sagittarius speed is fixed as well

- Coming up: The newest release !

yildiz89
04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Updates:

- Messaging system is nearly complete.

- Client: needs some minor visual fixes.

- Server: needs some logic to be able to receive the messages written on the website.

- Try the newest version on the website: http://yildiz.bitbucket.org

Sylux
04-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, can you put the server up?

Sylux
04-27-2013, 05:10 PM
I can't connect to the server. Is it only European support?

yildiz89
04-30-2013, 06:37 PM
I can't connect to the server. Is it only European support?

Hi Sylux!

The server is online,now. There has been a problem with the last client version, when you update your client, it will be alright and then you can give it a try.

Regards!

- - - Updated - - -

Updates:

- 200 new colonies were added to the game
- Accounts limit is set up to 400

Sylux
04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks. Is there a tutorial or something? I'm a bit lost on how to play.

yildiz89
05-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks. Is there a tutorial or something? I'm a bit lost on how to play.

You are welcome!

When you download the game you'll find two manuals linked(French and English). They are not updated but you'll get at least a basic idea on how to play.

They will be updated as soon as time allows.

Sylux
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Ah, alrighty, thank you!

yildiz89
05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Updates:

- Coming soon: A new release! it mainly focuses on minor improvements, like translations, graphic fix...

- Some new researches will be available too to improve the vulture damages.

yildiz89
05-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Updates:

- Server side: Minor improvements, possible wrong java version is now fixed.

- This is the textured PowerPlant:

http://yildiz.bitbucket.org/screen/12.jpg

yildiz89
06-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Updates:

Client side:

- Tactic map improvements with a better info window positionning.

- Fix the focus if mouse was over an icon, and get focus when map is open. It is no more required to first click on it.

yildiz89
06-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Updates:

- Soon: The newest release .

-Protocol is going to be changed to reduce the initial loading time, static object position will be hard coded.

-New researches will be added.

-A new ship will be available, it can repair other units, and later will be able to build buildings on specific positions.

yildiz89
06-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Updates:

-The new ship is progressing well, most of its logic is done.

-The new researches for the Vulture have been added.

-Now building a unit requires appropriate Spaceport level (lvl1 for Firefly and Bee, lvl 3 for Vulture, lvl 5 for Sagittarius)

-Currently, some visual bugs are getting fixed, in tatic map with line of sight position.

-There aren't any visible changes to be noticed for the website but you'll notice now that it loads faster and has a better SEO: http://yildiz.bitbucket.org

yildiz89
07-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Updates:

Server is running for more than 1 month without being restarted, no memory leak nor CPU increase. It should be considered stable now.

Flash
07-19-2013, 07:12 AM
I like this sort of game. Was a fan of Space4K a long while ago. I'll download it and give it a try ^^

yildiz89
08-18-2013, 04:06 PM
I like this sort of game. Was a fan of Space4K a long while ago. I'll download it and give it a try ^^

Thank you! Flash ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Updates:

- Bug fixed: Panel buttons were not working correctly.

- The planets atmosphere shader rendering is fixed now.