PDA

View Full Version : What drawing tablet should I get?

Iori
11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
So I'm about ready to start looking for a tablet, but just like any sane person, I don't want to spend $1000 or anything like that.

I'm looking to draw legit manga and comic strips, but I'm looking to do all penciling, inking, and manga coloring with pencils, pens, and Copic markers. I only need the tablet for screentone in the manga (and potentially the comic strips too), and probably coloring the comic strips.

I would appreciate some suggestions, based off of those specifications.

Gaff
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
If you're only using it for tones and maybe a little bit of colouring, are you sure it's really worth your while buying one?

It might be easier using a tablet for working with screentones in Manga Studio, but I wasn't greatly impressed with their tone library. If you're scanning or making your own tones, you can just as easily size and trim them using a mouse.

If your heart's set on it though, or you really want a tablet just to see what it's like, you could just get an entry level wacom tablet like the Bamboo. They're not too expensive [amazon link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-Graphics-Tablet/dp/B005TYVS4Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353695254&sr=1-1)].

toast
11-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Just get a Wacom Bamboo tablet, or if you're willing to spend some more money, get an Intuos

also ugh don't waste money on manga studio, you might as well get photoshop which is a million time better. Or just torrent photoshop, or buy Paint Tool SAI and download GIMP

Celestial-Fox
11-23-2012, 10:43 PM
I suggest you try a really small tablet, since the size doesn't really affect much, in my opinion, especially of you're just starting out. The main difference is that small tablets require more fine, finger articulation, when larger ones allow you to use more of your arm/wrist to draw. Even though I upgraded tablets last year, I still bought a size Small, because it was my preference—even though I had enough resources to get a bigger one.

Rio
11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
If you're just going to use it to tone, you don't need a tablet for that but since you said that you may CG, then getting the Bamboo would be perfectly fine. The only reason to get an Intous would be to have the pressure sensitivity for drawing directly onto a graphic software program. It's up to you about the size.

Celestial-Fox
11-26-2012, 07:10 PM
I don't even really notice the difference between my Intuos pressure sensitivity and the Graphire I had.

Sylux
11-26-2012, 11:36 PM
cintiq 24hd

trilokcool3
11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Hey hey guys can i get any tablet in between US $35-$40 ??? I really need one ^_^
(and sry Iori, posting this in your thread)

Rio
11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
If you get it used or it's not a Wacom- yes. There's some here in Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=drawing+tablet&qid=1354043262&rh=k%3Adrawing+tablet%2Cn%3A172282&sort=price)

@ Seefy
I don't either (maybe because I mainly do cel-style and not painterly) but I know someone who's studying to be a graphic designer and she can tell the difference.

Rubisko
11-27-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't know how the bamboo performs, but from what I've heard it's a good choice for a first tablet. Seefys comment about tablet size is very much according to my experience as well, my first tablet was a letter sized Graphire. But if you plan to do a lot of line art and know that you will use your tablet a lot I would recommend a medium sized tablet since you'll want make use of your elbow and shoulder to make smooth and accurate lines.

It's also somewhat of a question of how much space you have to your disposal in front of your monitor. Make sure that you'll be comfortable with the size you choose

Sylux
11-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I think the Cintiq 24HD is around $2.5K, shouldn't be too far out of your price range.

trilokcool3
11-27-2012, 06:21 PM
@Sylux
are u lucky to hav one CINTIQ 24hd !!!?
$2.5K !!! i show its specs wondering 'what iz that ?' ....Its huge man !! as compared to tablets that RIO mentioned.
And way too expensive .
@RIO
umm... I don't have much idea of these tablets ...(sigh)
but as per RUBISKO, i would go for medium sized or more . So can you reccomend any from the link you hav given ???

Rio
11-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately, the only tablets I've ever owned was an Intous ($200+ retail) or a Bamboo ($79+ retail) and the cheapest Bamboo is around $35USD used (looks like the smaller version). (http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-and-Touch/dp/B002OOWC3S/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354115127&sr=1-6&keywords=wacom+bamboo+tablet) I suggest you shop around, maybe even check eBay or something and see if they have any up for auction.

IIRC, someone here bought one that wasn't Wacom and he(she?) was pretty happy with it. If you look back some past threads, you can probably see who it was and ask directly.

JJJorgie
11-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I have a 6x4 inch DigiPro that only cost me 20 USD from amazon. I'm quite happy with it.

trilokcool3
11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
@jjjorgie
20 USD well i should probably look for it too.
Dimension you mentioned is that its active region area ?
@ Rio
Hmm... Its
Adesso 9" X 12 " Graphics Tablet ...

I will be knocking ebay soon when i get one within my budget range.
ok... thank you RIO for the help. ^_^

toast
11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
@jjjorgie
Dimension you mentioned is that its active region area ?
@ Rio
Hmm... Its
Adesso 9" X 12 " Graphics Tablet ...

I will be knocking ebay soon when i get one within my budget range.
ok... thank you RIO for the help. ^_^

definitely just go for the wacom bamboo

I actually had an adesso tablet as my first tablet, and when I switched to a bamboo there was a maaaajor difference in quality and feeling.

JJJorgie
11-28-2012, 10:52 PM
@jjjorgie
Dimension you mentioned is that its active region area?

Yeah, that's its active area. The whole thing in bigger (8 or 9 by 8 or 9, I'd say).

trilokcool3
11-29-2012, 01:48 AM
@TOAST
wacom bamboo is getting out of my budget range:cat_tantrum:, and which are in range are of small size
i am looking for a wider active region in tablet.
SOOOO... i went through this :cat_yeahright:
1>>> 8" x 6" DigiPro WP8060 USB Graphics Tablet w/Cordless Pen (Black) cost is 35 USD
specs
Black tablet and Stylus
All Mouse functions
USB interface
Soft-tip pen with 512 levels of pressure for drawing programs such as Painter and Photoshop
Capturing signatures and drawing for inserting into documents
Pen commands for control and editing functions
Annotating with a pen for Word
Handwriting communications for NetMeeting and Netscape conference
Pen Launching by tapping on the pad to start a program or visit a website
PenMail
Annotate mail

Tablet Features:
8 x 6-inch working area
Pen holder
Pen indicator
Built-in USB cable (54-inch length, approximate)
SO is it any good if i buy this :cat_huh:

Rubisko
11-29-2012, 04:47 AM
@trilokcool3: The difference in price between this digipro tablet and a wacom is probably because there are big differences in pressure sensitivity and resolution. I currently use an intuos with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity, that's four times the amount on this digipro, and my tablet sometimes feel unresponsive and clumsy compared to traditional drawing. Drawing has been around forever, but digital art made it's breakthrough just about 10 years ago. If you're getting a tablet just to have fun with it then it'll probably be worth it. But if you want a tablet because you think you need it in order to become an awesome artist and eventually go professional, then I'd say you don't need this digipro. My "first" tablet was a graphire owned by my mom that she got when I was twelve, and I hardly used it. The first tablet that I really owned and payed for myself was an intuos 4 that I got when I was 20 years old. About everything that I know about drawing up to this point I've learned from drawing with pen and paper. It's both easier and cheaper. I wish you good luck and hope that you have fun whichever tablet (or no tablet) you choose to buy though =)

trilokcool3
11-29-2012, 05:59 AM
@RUBISKO
umm... I forgot to mention this too that, i will say.....
I am getting it for fun.
Not aiming to become a professional , bt atleast a good artist. Even most of time i live in my college hostel (no laptop, pc).
As for pen and paper ya i am enjoying it even now . Just trying a different mode . ^_^

whenrabbitsattack2.0
12-01-2012, 01:05 AM
I have a Genius easypeni405 that I got for 20$ NZD off of a site like ebay (that's around 18$USD) I'm pretty happy with it
and it's second hand but unused. owner bought it then found a better one and sold the one I have now.

jaidurn
12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
If you don't want to go out and spend as much money on a Wacom, Monoprice tablets are really great and sturdy. I've got one and it's really rad.

They range from $25-$90 and the reviews are great.

The Website:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841

trilokcool3
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
@ Jaidurn
OMG !!
Those are awesome both in price and quality.
I read the customer reviews and found out that some of them faced problem while using these ( i can just ignore it to some extent).
At the same time
i have already decided one at ebay.
Not so sure, still cofused .( also my sem exams will be held this month :( )
Ha ha
waiting for more people to give suggestions :)