PDA

View Full Version : What Anime/Manga series do ispire you???

DemonKaiser93
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
And by that I mean what does inspire you to draw

Me:

DragonBall Z
FMA
Devil-Man
MazinKaiser
Escaflowne
Elfed Lied
G Gundam
Shin Getter Robo

LVUER
01-22-2011, 08:02 PM
At first, it was Sailor Moon anime. And then my style was influenced a lot by Akamatsu's Love Hina and Mahou Sensei Negima (both manga, I don't really like the anime).

Rio
01-23-2011, 10:43 AM
The early anime's were Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2. Then it was CLAMP and afterwards, I've been pretty much doing my own thing. I pretty much pick up whatever style I want to draw or color in.

DemonKaiser93
01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I get too much influence from old-school manga-kas like Go Nagai or Akira Toriyama ,but I would like to be like Daisuke Ishiwatari (for thouse that dont't know him, he is the guy behind the Guilty Gear/BlazBlue Games, and by that I mean BEHIND, he made the game's core gameplay ,the characters, the music,)

Reset
02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Doraemon by Fujiko Fujio and DBZ by Akira Toriyama. This manga inspiring me a lot

Matt
02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Higurashi got me into writing horror. Also played a factor in my love of moe.

Lucky Star got me into school life. Contributed to my moe addiction.

Full Metal Panic got me into more technical stuff because of the mechs. The second season's art was a lot better, so I took some reference there. Come to think of it, the first season made me kinda lazy.

Hellgirl's first episode disturbed me to the point where I started writing Christian themes into most of my stories.

Tenjo Tenge got me into semirealism.

Bakuman always inspires me to draw manga, making this a priceless read.

GunZet
02-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not influenced by any anime/manga now. But when I was just getting started in the stuff, a big big big big influence was DBZ, followed by Gundam.

random others were Digimon, Metabots and Beyblade.

Although Tenjou Tenge inspired me to make my current comic Triple Flip.

ClockHand
02-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Urasawas, Nihei, Inoue, Mike Mignola, Scottie Young and many others.

LVUER
02-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Full Metal Panic got me into more technical stuff because of the mechs. The second season's art was a lot better, so I took some reference there. Come to think of it, the first season made me kinda lazy.
FMP first season (and Fumoffu) is better at the humor while second season is better at the mecha (understandable since it's more serious and darker than the first season). I wonder when they'll make the third season?

Hamachi
02-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Hrm. Fate/Stay Night, Princess Mononoke, Seirei no Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, Gurren Lagann, Katanagatari, Cowboy Bebop... and... and...

Holy crap I've been watching too much anime recently. :/

Reset
02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Urasawas, ....

Did you mean Urasawa Naoki? I like how he create the story line, he's amazing, but i not like how he drew.

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
You don't like how he draw???!!!
WHAT?!

You sir, has lost my respect.

(how someone wouldn't like his not-generic draws and his perfect landscapes?)

Reset
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
You don't like how he draw???!!!
WHAT?!

You sir, has lost my respect.

(how someone wouldn't like his not-generic draws and his perfect landscapes?)

Sorry, I mean how he draw a "Character", of course i like his landscape drawing.
Yeah, but i respect a mangaka or artist that have his own unique style.
As example i like kariage-kun manga, crayon Shin Chan, and one piece. these three has own style, but i just dont like how them draw a character, but especialy for one piece i just dont like how he draw a (beauty) woman, the waist always too slim.

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 06:05 PM
His characters are awesome. Is one of the few japanese mangakas who doesn't draw generic anime characters, even more he is recogniced between artists by his characters with great features, that show the ethnicity of his characters.

Reset
02-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Yup, just look the face of character we can determine the character is germany or japanese, or other.

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
So how is possible that you dislike it?

Reset
02-12-2011, 11:17 PM
I think there was some of character drawing style i catagorized:
1. post realistic character;
2. realistic (an old style);
3. mix of real and non;
4. non realistic with very small atribute of realistic
5. non realistic

for character I prefer number 4, but for environtment or cloth or anything except character i prefer 3 to 1

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 11:42 PM
So you like something between tenge tengo and some typical anime.

LVUER
02-12-2011, 11:52 PM
You mean Tenjo Tenge?

ClockHand
02-12-2011, 11:58 PM
yeah.

Hamachi
02-13-2011, 12:15 AM
If that manga is what I think I remember it as, I remember being slightly scarred by it.

Did it show boobs just because it could? I vaguely recall some girl being beaten up, and then it was like BARE CHEST! in some random awful pose, and then that girl proceeded to be bloodied up even more. I was, like, "E...Ew... Ewwwwww!!! AGH!!!"

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Yeah is one of those mangas that work for fan service (at the point they even put tekken characters there). it wasn't bad, but neither is awesome (is like good... nothing more).

Hamachi
02-13-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't think the blatant nudity was as disturbing as the fact that usually the characters showing "fanservice" would also happen to be getting the crap beaten out of them. Bloodily. I mean, heck, that's friggin' messed up.

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Well fan love that shit.

For my it goes more by the fact that the nudity was jsut to put nudity. It has no mayor sense. And the fights, well it was a manga about fights (nothing you can do about it).

Reset
02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
So you like something between tenge tengo and some typical anime.

i never read Tenjo Tenge but maybe like that. My older brother and sister has a different favorite manga, maybe you just like my brother, he has a complete collection of urasawa naoki manga except pluto (and his drawing style is american), and i read everything comics or manga that nearby by me. my sister is different, he like comic that non realistic style. Maybe i'm a twist of that kind of environtment

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 12:38 AM
you should try to not get bonded to anything. Be free and enjoy every style.

Reset
02-13-2011, 12:44 AM
I can't deny that i get bonded, but maybe after starting my own manga i can open wide my paradigm.

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 01:20 AM
I would recommend to first get your style and then do the comic.

DemonKaiser93
02-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Now that I think of it, part of my style comes from a mixture of DBZ & Devil-Man, but I'm starting to throw some Tenjo Tenge, Hellsing, & FMA in there...

Reset
02-13-2011, 01:15 PM
I would recommend to first get your style and then do the comic.

I agree, right now i in the middle of training for drawing a character. oh yeah, i already reading y: the last man that you reffer in other thread, its great comic man.

Now that I think of it, part of my style comes from a mixture of DBZ & Devil-Man, but I'm starting to throw some Tenjo Tenge, Hellsing, & FMA in there...

wew that a lot of combination, i just spend my time to see your drawing. until an age ago i just draw building n mecha inspired by doraemon right now i tried to learn about draw a character. i see your album is full of character you made, i see i can learn something from you.

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I agree, right now i in the middle of training for drawing a character. oh yeah, i already reading y: the last man that you reffer in other thread, its great comic man.

You should also try The Walking Deads. There is thread in mt for this comic.

Matt
02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
FMP first season (and Fumoffu) is better at the humor while second season is better at the mecha (understandable since it's more serious and darker than the first season). I wonder when they'll make the third season?

The second one was serious to the point where it was almost depressing, especially
with those dark-haired twin girls who both died. But I suppose they were supposed to symbolize what Sousuke could have become if Chidori hadn't found him in time.

But Fumoffu was hilarious. After season 2 I was in an art block, but Fumoffu got me motivated again. I loved the part where he accidentally groped Tessa. His reaction was awesome.

I can't wait for a third season, but I kinda hope it takes Fumoffu's humor and light-heartedness, combined with season 2's animation.

EDIT: Didn't see that there were already four pages. I replied to a post on the first page . . .

Anyway, I got through with Tenjo Tenge, as far as all the scan teams went (as of a few months ago). I loved the art, especially near the current chapters. It owns. However, the story . . . meh. Oh! Great isn't really the greatest writer out there. "I'm a noob, I can't beat this guy--but wait! I have some epic ancient dragon as of one page ago and I'll win now! Oh, no! Now I can't beat this guy! I'll just rely on some ancient sword now!"

That's what it seemed like to me. I just couldn't understand it. Maybe I should give it another read. Unlike most people here, I actually didn't mind the violence and fanservice combined. I've played female characters in violent games for too long to really care anymore.

-

On the topic of One Piece's art, yes, the backgrounds and such are pure epic, and the characters are well-drawn. I didn't exactly like the style because I'm too used to the moe/loli eyecandy. But I'll get used to it soon enough.

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Is a typical greek story, where the main character is not able to defeat the evil by himself, so it need a magical something to do it. Of course in the case og Tenge Tenjo, is a circle of many of these events.

Matt
02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Ah, I see. I respect that, but it feels like the characters are acting according to their fate or their dragons or their predefined roles from 1000 years ago, instead of acting as themselves. Battle Vixens/Ikki Tousen did that too. (Just take off the freaking sacred beads so you don't have to kill your best friends!)

I'll probably never like the story all that much, but I'll always love the art.

ClockHand
02-13-2011, 07:04 PM
There is nothing to respect about that kind of story. It has be done to many times and over exploited be mangas like Naruto, DB, DBZ, DBGT, Saint Seya, etcetera.

What would be appreciated is to stay in what this kind of story it is, and not doing it like a cyclic repetition of this story structure.

Reset
02-13-2011, 10:11 PM
You should also try The Walking Deads. There is thread in mt for this comic.
Im not already finish all chapter, i just start reading ch 11 right now.maybe after.

There is nothing to respect about that kind of story. It has be done to many times and over exploited be mangas like Naruto, DB, DBZ, DBGT, Saint Seya, etcetera.

What would be appreciated is to stay in what this kind of story it is, and not doing it like a cyclic repetition of this story structure.

I add Bleach in it too, its just repeat plot of Saint Seya battle, otherwise i like tite kubo graphic design.
Yeah of course there always be more interesting to read newest kind of story

DemonKaiser93
02-14-2011, 06:58 AM
wew that a lot of combination, i just spend my time to see your drawing. until an age ago i just draw building n mecha inspired by doraemon right now i tried to learn about draw a character. i see your album is full of character you made, i see i can learn something from you.

Well, try to draw the first thing that comes to you mind, and try to combine aspects from other character that you know that helps, but I wil recommend you to start to develop your character from zero eventually...

Reset
02-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Yup i tried, i love tokusatsu you know, so i draw something like kamen rider but in the end the results always long leg with short torso (like mecha) or right torso with short leg (like doraemon), or right anatomy proporsion but too slim or too fat. And i tried to draw a character but the result she or he like a "foreigner" not like a "main character.i see your draw has it's own soul.

DemonKaiser93
02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Yup i tried, i love tokusatsu you know, so i draw something like kamen rider but in the end the results always long leg with short torso (like mecha) or right torso with short leg (like doraemon), or right anatomy proporsion but too slim or too fat. And i tried to draw a character but the result she or he like a "foreigner" not like a "main character.i see your draw has it's own soul.

Have you ever tried anatomy classes, believe me they help...

LVUER
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Robot and human have different anatomy. You can mix them up... heck, even Tokusatsu robot and super robot and real robot, all have different anatomy... That's why, usually people who good at one thing, doesn't that good in another.

Reset
02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Have you ever tried anatomy classes, believe me they help...

You mean drawing class or Biology class?
There is nothing something like that (drawing class) in my town.
But i know how to draw in proportion using ruler, but free hand alone is extra ordinary very very difficult for me. (In college they teach me about golden section, leonardo davinci, fibonachi, and blah blah blah...)

Robot and human have different anatomy. You can mix them up... heck, even Tokusatsu robot and super robot and real robot, all have different anatomy... That's why, usually people who good at one thing, doesn't that good in another.

I think like that so. But there's must be fun to learn a lot of different way to draw

LVUER
02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Oops, it seems I have a typo there. I mean you CAN'T mix human anatomy with robot anatomy.

DemonKaiser93
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I like mecha anime two.. try to learn how to draw by watching anime an othe way they are drawn... it helps...

Also try learning anotomy by finding info on the net...

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Wowowow... Mecha and humans have different anatomy. Mechas use some times human anatomy, but is always alterated and take some heavy desitions in the changes to make different appealing.

Rio
02-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Oops, it seems I have a typo there. I mean you CAN'T mix human anatomy with robot anatomy.

Depends on what kind of robot you're drawing. If you're drawing a humanoid-type robot, then you can use human anatomy as a reference. If, on the other hand, you are doing a robot based on an animal, you use an animal as the base and if you're drawing something from imagination and doesn't fit with anything in real-life, then you will have to figure out the base yourself.

LVUER
02-15-2011, 01:33 AM
When I mean different, that means all the proportions, joints, and all other things are different (sometimes completely different). Of course what you learn from drawing humans still do a little good. But if you just use human anatomy into drawing mecha, though you could draw one, it won't be very nice looking.

That's why when drawing manga, most of times the person who draw mecha and the person who draw the human... are different people (there's a profession who specialized in drawing mecha only). Of course there are lots of person who can do both... but not as good as people who specialized in only one.

Reset
02-15-2011, 06:57 AM

Its 3/4 actually right.

I like mecha anime two.. try to learn how to draw by watching anime an othe way they are drawn... it helps...

Also try learning anotomy by finding info on the net...

Above is why i like your character that have like-an-android-hand. And that your last sentence is the main reason why i port my ship here.

Wowowow... Mecha and humans have different anatomy. Mechas use some times human anatomy, but is always alterated and take some heavy desitions in the changes to make different appealing.

I Can draw an box+box+box like mecha (using ruler) and tank and some kind stuff that lack lot of aesthetic of human-aerodynamic thing within right anatomy that i can imagine (i do that since just 100cm tall). but what i want is human, human or half human or robot in lot of aerodynamic thing. That my straight sense of line style in drawing stick like super glue in me plus after i "jailed" (cuz I have not graduated yet till 12 semester) in architecture this sense become more sticky like a black hole. Then human i can draw is standing silhouette with skinny head.

Depends on what kind of robot you're drawing. If you're drawing a humanoid-type robot, then you can use human anatomy as a reference. If, on the other hand, you are doing a robot based on an animal, you use an animal as the base and if you're drawing something from imagination and doesn't fit with anything in real-life, then you will have to figure out the base yourself.

Thanks a lot for your tutorial, now i can draw human anatomy with free hand from front perspective but still got some problem with different perspective and different pose. but the biggest problem is muscle and fat in arm and leg, its kinda hard to draw similar thing two times.heel and fingers(woman finger) is kinda difficult too. its kinda funny using mal(curved ruler; we call it mal) to draw human thing. So i must train so hard till i got used to it.

That's why when drawing manga, most of times the person who draw mecha and the person who draw the human... are different people (there's a profession who specialized in drawing mecha only). Of course there are lots of person who can do both... but not as good as people who specialized in only one.

I agree, in my childhood there is a friend of mine that can draw all marvel comic etc character including its muscles and shading that perfectly similar to object in three minutes (he's in army now).but he's kinda suck at inanimate objects, the only two person that can draw well in inanimate in school is me and my otaku friend(and he think he can got berserk sometimes).

Rio
02-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Regarding different people specializing in drawing different things (humans vs robots, realistic vs not), I disagree. You can make up for it with practice. I had a knack for drawing landscapes and things when I was young. People and animals - not so much. I also wasn't very good at coloring, traditionally and digitally, as well but with time and practice, I've gotten fairly good on both.

@ LVUER
I'll scan an example of how an artist took a human body and converted it into a robot. ...Just give me a moment to scan it.

[EDIT]
Ok, got 'em! One is based on a dinosaur and the other on a maid.

http://www.mangatutorials.net/art/examples/dinorobosmall.jpg

http://www.mangatutorials.net/art/examples/maidrobotsmall.jpg

Hamachi
02-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Gee, I loved Zoids as a kid! Used to think that dinosaur-shaped robots were the coolest thing ever, too. Now I think that robots designed like... um... never mind what I was going to say... ;)

Anyways, ahahaha, obviously there's space for caricature and you wouldn't be carrying all your basic forms across. The joints may be different, and in many cases simplified, but they're going to have similar properties to their real, biological counterparts like what Rio pointed out.

LVUER
02-17-2011, 02:57 AM
Ah yes, that's right... Actually, what's in my mind was mecha like Gundam or Armored Core.

And at some point, my post was talk past the anatomy and somehow talks about drawing the mecha itself (which is my bad) since we're talking only about anatomy.

Reset
02-17-2011, 07:39 AM
@Rio: Hey its okay if i "save as" this picture? It's kinda interest me.

Rio
02-17-2011, 04:11 PM
lol Go ahead! C: If you can get it though, the images are actually from the How to Draw Manga book series; to be more specific, the two books: Giant Robots & Mechanical Drawing (or Mech. Drawing for short).

Reset
02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
lml Thank youuuuu!!!!!

Red
02-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Actually, Manga didn't inspire me to become a mangaka.
Spriting did. :/

Although I look up to Yoshihiro Togashi, creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter, and Nobuhiro Watsuki, creator of Buso Renkin and Rurouni Kenshin.

Myona_Pierce
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Ranma 1/2,pokemon,magical doremi,escaflown, onegai my melody, fruit basket, mermaid melody...yup!

Yerra
03-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Almost everything... to art style to story...

Regantor
03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Ok, got 'em! One is based on a dinosaur and the other on a maid.

http://www.mangatutorials.net/art/examples/dinorobosmall.jpg

Am I really the only person who does this in reverse? I could draw half-decent robots years before I could "construct" people. x_x

Rio
03-16-2011, 11:23 PM
lol I guess it's just what you're used to or good at. I was really good at drawing plants, landscapes, and things pretty much right off the bat but it was harder for me to draw humans. XD

smallfish
03-17-2011, 05:26 AM
I've been pretty much doing my own thing. I pretty much pick up whatever style I want to draw or color in.

Ozzaharwood
03-17-2011, 06:06 AM
I've been pretty much doing my own thing. I pretty much pick up whatever style I want to draw or color in.

Hey, could you stop putting the ads after each post? If you continue to do so, I'm going to have to do something about it.

AllyNidhogg
03-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Animes/Mangas that inspire me is:
One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!
Most of the monsters in Yu-Gi-Oh! are really cool, and there's lots of awesome inspiration in One Piece as well. :D

Ozzaharwood
03-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Yu-Gi-Oh, that brings back memories. I still have a tonne of those cards... -Nostalgic-

Evil_Cake
03-26-2011, 03:20 AM
the early chapters of yugioh before they started doing card stuff inspired me a lot

Tenshi
03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Inspired? I never felt inspired but i do like death note and vampire knight
but right now im reading bakuman ( like no shit its about 2 guys becoming manga-ka's and wanting to make a anime )

SarahD123
03-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Shaman King

Byakuran
03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
uuhm all of them. :)

Ozzaharwood
03-28-2011, 11:04 PM
uuhm all of them. :)

Very detailed answer there.

Kokoro_Hane
06-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Manga that has inspired me to draw?

Game Plan! by Inkhana and Calbhach.
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle by CLAMP.
Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa.
The World Stops! by Marshmellow Muffin.

I admire their styles the most <333 Especially CLAMP!