PDA

View Full Version : Movies?

TheVermillionFox
10-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Does anyone else here agree that the American movie industry is starting to take a deep dive?

ClockHand
10-09-2012, 06:59 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Great thread, the end.

Kodos
10-09-2012, 07:38 PM
It's been downhill ever since The Great Train Robbery.

GunZet
10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Yea, it's pretty much been going downhill for the longest time now. Not to say there isn't a nice little flower or two along the fall. Sometimes hills are like that, and when you're falling down one, you're bound to pick up something once in a while.

Evil_Cake
10-09-2012, 09:04 PM
are u serious? battleship was great

Hayashida
10-10-2012, 02:28 AM
It's been downhill ever since The Great Train Robbery.

what about the godfather or 2001 a space odyssey

Regantor
10-10-2012, 06:53 AM
You mean this battleship?

http://www.coolcinematrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ndvd_065.jpg

Yeah, it's all been downhill since The Giant Claw. :/

Kodos
10-10-2012, 09:49 AM
what about the godfather or 2001 a space odyssey
Alien and Blade Runner are actually tied for my favorite movie of all time.

But realy, The Ooglieoves is the greatest movie.

jubeh
10-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I just started reading do androids dream of electric sheep yesterday. I didn't actually like bladerunner, though I've heard there's like 500 versions of it. But the book is rad.

ClockHand
10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Alien and Blade Runner are actually tied for my favorite movie of all time.

But realy, The Ooglieoves is the greatest movie.

http://collider.com/prometheus-blade-runner-connection/200699/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, end of the thread.

Kodos
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I just started reading do androids dream of electric sheep yesterday. I didn't actually like bladerunner, though I've heard there's like 500 versions of it. But the book is rad.
The Director's Cut is, IIRC, the best version. The Final Cut is also worth watching. Any version without the voice-over narration is worth watching, really. It's the theatrical cut that is really unwatchable.

Is it out on blu-ray yet? I actually don't have a blu-ray player ATM so I haven't followed too closely but the blu-ray screenshots of it looked fucking phenomenal.

All that said - Blade Runner is not an easy movie. I can understand and respect someone not liking it. It's very meandering, surreal, and dream-like in its pacing, all with good reason, but the end result is something very surreal and dream-like that doesn't appeal to everyone. The best description of the movie's 'feel' and pacing is one from a fellow Goon - 'it's a movie that doesn't really care whether or not you watch it.'

jubeh
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I didn't like it because the narration was too grating. I've never made it all the way through because of it

Kodos
10-10-2012, 03:26 PM
The narration is the theatrical cut. The unwatchable cut. None of the other cuts have it.

nextweek
10-15-2012, 03:32 AM
http://collider.com/prometheus-blade-runner-connection/200699/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, end of the thread.

Jeez. Why?

Blue_Dragon
10-16-2012, 11:07 AM
The Director's Cut is, IIRC, the best version. The Final Cut is also worth watching. Any version without the voice-over narration is worth watching, really. It's the theatrical cut that is really unwatchable.

Is it out on blu-ray yet? I actually don't have a blu-ray player ATM so I haven't followed too closely but the blu-ray screenshots of it looked fucking phenomenal.

All that said - Blade Runner is not an easy movie. I can understand and respect someone not liking it. It's very meandering, surreal, and dream-like in its pacing, all with good reason, but the end result is something very surreal and dream-like that doesn't appeal to everyone. The best description of the movie's 'feel' and pacing is one from a fellow Goon - 'it's a movie that doesn't really care whether or not you watch it.'

That's coincidental that Jub. is reading that book, cause I've started reading it about a week ago...

Also, I enjoyed the movie, so I'm hoping I enjoy the book, too. I like it thus far (chap. 8).

**Movie topic** My friend and I went to see Looper, which was an okay movie, but I found a major plot hole (which, smarter people can find more, I'm sure.) I'm putting in spoilers, so don't read unless you don't care.

If people in the future have to go through so much bullshit to kill someone because of "tagging," then how were they able to kill Willis' Chinese wife and get away with it? Why would they have to send him back in time, but not the woman? I mean, yeah it was a frickin' accident...but it still leaves need for an explanation.

N_Top
10-17-2012, 02:18 AM
That was the same thing that annoyed me about Looper. The whole reason for the time travel element was kind of dumb :/
That and...
Why the hell would they have loopers close their own loop if it causes so many problems? Why not just send the looper to a different looper to be killed... The looper whose loop is closed can still get their golden payday or whatnot.

It was still a good movie to watch, but it's definitely not the best time travel movie ever like several critics have claimed.

ClockHand
10-17-2012, 06:47 AM
I always felt that making a time travel movie is dangerous and risky, the whole concept of time travel is hard to argument and even if its well done it still rise too many valid questions. So if you make time travel a relevant element on your story you are always going to have to face the hard reality that its pretty hard to make a time travel movie.

Is not like you can make a Donnie Darko or Primer so easily. And even Donnie Darko was just luck, the director didn't want to make a time travel movie but rather a super hero movie that basically went wrong but made as a great psychological thriller about time travel, and let's not talk about Primer which is almost impossible to watch, and I find that its that element (being almost impossible to watch) what saves it from any argumentation critique, as you need soo much of yourself to understand the movie that its hard to also find plot holes on it.

Gaff
10-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Only noticed quite recently that there's a been a graphic novel version of Do Androids Dream...?, should anyone fancy it. The art didn't really grab me, but I gather it's a pretty faithful adaptation.

jubeh
10-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Have you guys seen this

http://bechdeltest.com/

Celestial-Fox
11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah, and I just saw a movie a week or two ago that surprisingly passed.

jubeh
11-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I just saw drive. I really want a racer jacket now.

Black_Shaggie
11-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I just caught this movie (I think the director's American...idk) on the humble like on IFC or some shit called AnotherEarth. This movie gave me hope for American filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QlPfAYpnpuw

You guys probaly think its crap...at least the movie snobs...but its actually really good drama if you ask me.

Psy
11-16-2012, 02:25 AM
I was thinking.
Has there ever really been a time where every movie released in a year or any time span for a specific region were all gems? Cheap entertainment that is easily understood will allways be the most popular. The less a person has to think about the meaning the better because people don't like to feel stupid. So making cheap cookie cutter splosion movies is easier than making thought provoking works of art for writers directors and studios. Making something that people will love that has depth and grabs most folks attention is possible but not as easy as aliens invade earth and one dude has the answer and know how to save everyone. It's not right or what most of us want for the world but it is the truth.

Sorry. Just don't get why people refer to the past like it was all cherry but the current state of just about anything is bleak or an all time low with little to no hope for the future. Have faith, dudes.

GunZet
11-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Evil_Cake
11-16-2012, 02:33 AM
new die hard dis february, so p sure this is the golden age of movies

Black_Shaggie
11-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Now see...if I EVER, ever,ever,ever had a problem with American film making, it would have to be the recycling of old movies. I just don't understand why...is it because we didn't have the special effects to properly portray the original writer/producer/director's vision? Are they trying to bring these great stories to a new generation? I just don't get that...make some new shit. idc if is bad...just make your own. I mean this of course for the mainstream filmmakers.

ClockHand
11-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Has there ever really been a time where every movie released in a year or any time span for a specific region were all gems?

Just think about how many films are made per year, we mostly county Hollywood films but there are plenty of indie and author films made each year, which I would dare to state that more than 800 films are made per year in USA, just in USA. If you think how long the film industry is being around (100 years approx) you would have a crazy amount of films only on the USA film production, which only a 0.5% (and even less) would be considered GEMs, and many others would be unnoticed gems.

http://cdn3.chartsbin.com/chartimages/l_pu4_34fe40cd8a2ddb8edc73e2d6f321ef7f

Cheap entertainment that is easily understood will allways be the most popular. The less a person has to think about the meaning the better because people don't like to feel stupid. So making cheap cookie cutter splosion movies is easier than making thought provoking works of art for writers directors and studios. Making something that people will love that has depth and grabs most folks attention is possible but not as easy as aliens invade earth and one dude has the answer and know how to save everyone.

It's basically the Cultural Industry proposed by Theodor Adorno and Walter Benjamin (I recommend to read it, its quite interesting). But you see, we are only counting Hollywood films, when USA has many more types of film industry, the problem is not that much that Hollywood films existe and do these shitty movies, but rather that the mediums were we get our information about films mostly show Hollywood films making Author films or independent films completely unnoticed. Just look your newspaper and watch the news, and in the section of entertainment look how much time they give to hollywood films and see how much time they give to Author and Independent film making. Wouldn't be nice to watch the news and 1/3 of the time would be for hollywood films, other 1/3 for author films and the final time for regional or national films makings?

The other problem which is not a big problem anymore, was that most theater show hollywood films, and rarely author films. But this is not a big problem anymore, or better said, its becoming less of a problem thanks to the internet, piracy and netflix, they are basically open the eyes of the audience willing to get their eyes opened. This is also why soo many directors and film makers are not again piracy, and only the bunch who have petrified work on Hollywood.

Sorry. Just don't get why people refer to the past like it was all cherry but the current state of just about anything is bleak or an all time low with little to no hope for the future. Have faith, dudes.

To be fair, because I agree with you at certain extention. Hollywood film making was better.

http://www.shortoftheweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Loss-of-Originality-STATS8.gif

Now, its not just because there were more original content, but rather because Hollywood tried to do some progress on genres, just look the whole western genre, it changed and rebuild itself thanks of Hollywood soo much that it was even subdivided in eras. And obviously if you compare such an active production with the now passive production of films, is kinda fair that Hollywood was better before (it was also the godfather of invisible montage, and there is almost no movie that doesn't use it now).

Now see...if I EVER, ever,ever,ever had a problem with American film making, it would have to be the recycling of old movies.

Yeah, new generations should go and watch the old movies even so the leap of context on history and technology is soo big that they might not understand what is going on. They remake movies because they want to keep the good movies still alive on the mind of people, its the introduction to new generation, who if they really enjoy it, they are going to get more in deep with the original source, and if you made them watch the original on the first try they will probably wouldn't want to watch it because of the big leap of contextual technology and technique in film making. Right now we see as something quite normal the invisible montage, in such a point that we don't know any other kind of montage, if you made a 13 years old movie watch a movie that has almost none invisible montage he would get lost or claim that the movie is soo old it should be in a museum.

I agree in certain points, when the remakes are ungraceful, and this goes for both old movies and foreign films. Because when you are doing a remake just for the remake, just to gain money or just because you believe the original source is not good enough for you to gain money, and you just make a ungraceful remake, then I find all the logic for people to get mad.

Finally, if you watch a good trailer that rise your hopes, don't say something like "This movie gave me hope for American filming." its just laughable and trust me, if you really care about USA films, you have google and you are going to find that there are A LOT of good movies.

Hayashida
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I just saw drive. I really want a racer jacket now.

man isn't it rad?

also I could've streamed it but whateva

jubeh
11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
man isn't it rad?

also I could've streamed it but whateva

http://i.imgur.com/DkSic.jpg

It was on netflix so I watched it. I'd watch it again tho, I liked it a lot. Really taught me about taking things into my own hands you know what I mean.

We should watch a bosozoku movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edkgd45wtkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LY8jEdzLk&feature=related

Hayashida
11-18-2012, 12:00 AM
yeah its a rad movie. And I'd be down for watching a bosozoku movie. I've seen Godspeed You Black Emperor tho

jubeh
11-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Aight lets watch crazy thunder road

Hayashida
11-18-2012, 12:02 AM
ok sounds good

toast
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LY8jEdzLk&feature=related

oh hey what, do you guys know if this is what the band is named after?

jubeh
11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
ya it is

toast
11-18-2012, 12:17 PM
cool

Black_Shaggie
12-20-2012, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LY8jEdzLk&feature=related[/QUOTE]

Man...this shit's awesome.