PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon MMO

Hayashida
10-03-2012, 09:38 PM
It looks like some peeps made a pokémon mmo. its like the fire red and leaf green version except its done like online and you can play with your friends and stuff.
http://pokemmo.eu/

im p sure you use a ROM to run the game and then u do some stuff idk but it looks cool anyway

Demonfyre
10-03-2012, 09:48 PM
...best Christmas ever!!!!

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7900000/1x09-Storming-the-Castle-Animated-gif-Excited-Buster-arrested-development-7915175-230-249.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1317140024465

ClockHand
10-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I saw this some months ago in reddit.

Didn't thought they were still working on it.

Hayashida
10-04-2012, 12:46 AM
o, i just heard about this from my gf. i want to play but idk if i can since i got a mac

nextweek
10-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Oh.......my .....

Must ... have...now

eltoroguaco
10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
ah that one... seen that before. It's not really well done...

Demonfyre
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
How dare ye speak negatively of any game involving pokemon! >:U

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/022/7/9/79021202f0682c03cbb08734d70ce2de.jpg

Matt
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Those poke-girls on the main page are way too cute. Especially Wooper.

I've also seen something like this before. I tried it. It was terrible, and I couldn't tell myself otherwise, no matter how much I've dreamed of Pokemon MMO.

eltoroguaco
10-04-2012, 08:32 PM
it is not much of a pokemon mmo. Just an indie production of a modified fire-red/leaf-green that includes other players. It's just a complete mess of characters that just walk in a grass and spawn pokemons 24/7. I want a REAL pokemon mmo! Developed by Nintendo and rather in a different style than the already made pokemon games. A Pokemon mmorpg would be cool.

Demonfyre
10-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Whutever guv

Hayashida
10-05-2012, 12:01 AM
u know what mmo stands for, rite

eltoroguaco
10-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Massive Multiplayer Online. So yes it is an mmo. Just stupid and poorly made.

ClockHand
10-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Massive Multiplayer Online. So yes it is an mmo. Just stupid and poorly made.

Go an make a better mmo alone.

Matt
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Clock, you're too intelligent to use that argument. You don't tell reviewers to make a better game than the one they criticize, do you?

We all have expectations for a Pokemon MMO, and all of those expectations are different. I want to feel like a Pokemon trainer in a world full of Pokemon trainers, and I expect an MMO to capture that feel. If this game is anything like the one I already played (Demon described it exactly), all it does is dump more players into the world without considering that the entire scope of the game would have to change. While it's not a bad attempt, the result isn't even compelling (to me) for even a minute.

The Pokemobs mod for Minecraft actually looks like the way to go for Pokemon online. If not that, Nintendo says they don't want to make a Pokemon game that restricts a player to his or her home--essentially, they're going for mostly portables. I can see them making a Pokemon MMO under three conditions:

1. If their next generation of handhelds is much better at Internet than the DS and 3DS, or if they have some kind of built-in 4G or something.
2. If they ditch dedicated handhelds and develop for Android and iOS phones and tablets.
3. If they do something completely unexpected and make a legit Pokemon MMO for the Wii U.

Hayashida
10-05-2012, 07:23 PM
We all have expectations for a Pokemon MMO, and all of those expectations are different. I want to feel like a Pokemon trainer in a world full of Pokemon trainers, and I expect an MMO to capture that feel. If this game is anything like the one I already played (Demon described it exactly), all it does is dump more players into the world without considering that the entire scope of the game would have to change. While it's not a bad attempt, the result isn't even compelling (to me) for even a minute.
Ya, everyone has different expectations of what a pokémon mmo would be, but how far off can it be from what it would suggest it be? Pokémon played with a massive amount of people. I don't really see how much the game would change by adding more people to the world. It's just like adding more npc's essentially, because that's pretty much how you interact with people in this particular game, aside from text chat. You battle and trade with them. You can't say that its a good or bad attempt at making a pokémon mmo because it's not compelling to you. That's completely opinionated and many people probably think that this is great.

The Pokemobs mod for Minecraft actually looks like the way to go for Pokemon online.
man are you for real. you cannot be for real

Matt
10-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Whether I enjoy a game or not is completely my opinion, yes. All I'm doing here is explaining why my opinion is the way it is.

The game does change when you add more people. The Pokemon games were designed to accommodate a single player, not a hundred. The game worlds are way too small for that. The current game is single-player Pokemon, copy-pasted. You say many people probably think that's just fine, and I agree. I just don't think it's that great.

man are you for real. you cannot be for real
Maybe I should have said this to begin with: it's not good for now, but I think it will be eventually. Minecraft has a huge world, and though the mod is in its very early stages, the way it's planned looks like it's exactly what I want in a Pokemon MMO. The worlds are big enough to allow for non-cramped multiplayer, the world is open, and most importantly, there's a sense of freedom inherent with Minecraft's mechanics that I would hardly enjoy a Pokemon MMO without.

If you disagree, cool. I'd prefer you to explain why, though.