PDA

View Full Version : I went to Seattle, Washington.

Aether
08-18-2012, 10:36 PM
And it was alright. I was there for 5 weeks, got back to Australia a few days ago. It's such a relief to see toilets flush the correct way again.

Hayashida
08-18-2012, 11:01 PM
what did you think of life in civilized society

Aether
08-18-2012, 11:15 PM
what did you think of life in civilized societyI ate a burger that gave me heart palpitations due to the amount of butter they put on the bun. :\

Psy
08-18-2012, 11:54 PM
The hell is wrong with all you people leaving your countries and continents? STAY THE HELL WHERE YOU BELONG!!!

Bacon_Barbarian
08-19-2012, 12:23 AM
What do you mean by flush differently? Swirling the wrong way?

Hell_Baron
08-19-2012, 10:22 AM
What do you mean by flush differently? Swirling the wrong way?

Well seen as Aether is from australia, the water in the toilets swirls into a different direction than toilets in europe and america.
this is due to the gravitational pull of the equator.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-19-2012, 10:56 AM
I knew they did that but I thought he could've meant something else. Which is why I phrased my question the way I did. :P

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I've been to America a load of times. It's alright. A bit shit. People are friendly, but are more or less as stupid as the stereotypes would suggest...But I do love International House of Pancakes. Damn, they do a good breakfast. And Americans applaud when an airplane lands. They also applaud at the end of movies in the cinema. Stop fucking clapping!

jubeh
08-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Good post hos *applauds*

Hayashida
08-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I've been 2 the US a few times and I've never seen anyone do anything super stupid so I don't get that stereotype

Bacon_Barbarian
08-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Were you in the South?

jubeh
08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Welp here it comes

Hayashida
08-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I usually go to places like detroit and stuff, but I've been to florida and they were nice there

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Nah, I'm only messing, Americans aren't that stupid. They just seem to know very little, if anything, about the rest of the world. If its not reported on Fox News or CNN, then is unknown. Seems strange to me. Probably down to the fact that only, what, 13% of Americans own passports? Maybe a little more, but certainly no higher than 20%. It seems to be that you are only guaranteed to meet a smart American if you meet them outside of America. Sorry, just the way it is. But still, they do great pancakes.

Hayashida
08-19-2012, 08:38 PM
There's no denying Americans can make you a breakfast fit for kings

Bacon_Barbarian
08-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Dude, HOS, where'd you get that number. That's scary.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Dude, HOS, where'd you get that number. That's scary.

There are many sources, here is one of them: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/stats/stats_890.html

It states that 12,613,153, as of 2011, Americans owned passports. The population of the US as of 2011 was approximately 311 million. You do the math. Seriously, do the math, my maths suck balls. Bare in mind that the number of passports and the population has increased slightly over a year. I've read 13% somewhere, and that sounds about right, but its probably less, really.

Regardless, its kinda depressing that a country where so many of their citizens regard themselves as the a part of the greatest country in the world have never actually been anywhere else. How do they they know? They could be giving shit away for free in other countries. Do you know one of the things many countries give away for free? Health Insurance. Just saying.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-19-2012, 09:07 PM
There are many sources, here is one of them: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/stats/stats_890.html

It states that 12,613,153, as of 2011, Americans owned passports. The population of the US as of 2011 was approximately 311 million. You do the math. Seriously, do the math, my maths suck balls. Bare in mind that the number of passports and the population has increased slightly over a year. I've read 13% somewhere, and that sounds about right, but its probably less, really.

Regardless, its kinda depressing that a country where so many of their citizens regard themselves as the a part of the greatest country in the world have never actually been anywhere else. How do they they know? They could be giving shit away for free in other countries. Do you know one of the things many countries give away for free? Health Insurance. Just saying.

Hey man, I agree. That's rather pathetic. Although, I was just in Europe for a month.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-19-2012, 09:14 PM
It's OK, dude, I'm not critizing you or any other American on this site (apart from Jubah and Kodos, of course) it just seems like a bit of an oddity to me. Hell, I like America its a nice place full of nice people. But in all honestly, its well behind many other parts of the world, including many places that are not '1st world countries'. Just what I've noticed.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-19-2012, 09:15 PM
The idea that there is a "best country" is part of the problem.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-19-2012, 09:22 PM
I agree with that, but there are Nationalist fuckheads in every country. They just seem to get more of a voice in America than many other places. The idea that a person should take any kind of pride in happening to be born, by sheer chance, on a random plot of earth, that happens to be surrounded by imaginary borders and has a meaningless flag hanging above it, has always been a mystery to me. But hey, it takes all sorts to make a world, doesn't it?

Bacon_Barbarian
08-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, considering the fact that if you have power everyday you're in the top 15%, people should be ... I don't know. Not proud. But ... Appreciative? Nationalists and fascists piss me off, but anarchy is stupid. Although I don't think that's what you were proposing.

jaidurn
08-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Why didn't you visit me Aether. how rude.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Well anarchy is simply the desolation of the state, nobody rules us on any level, ever and the people, all the people, are able to govern for themselves. I agree this seems naive and silly, but in Catalonia and much of north eastern Spain from 1936 to 1939 anarchism did work and it seemingly worked well until Franco and the fascists came along and fucked the whole thing up. Anyway, this is getting way off topic, even for Chatterbox.

Aether
08-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Why didn't you visit me Aether. how rude.Because you're not on my list of people to visit.

Also, the people I met were more or less the stereotypical American. What shitted me the most was pedestrians, they seem to think they own the fucking road. I was very close to going off my nut at one woman who, instead of walking on the side of the road in a parking lot, seemed quite content to walk in the fucking middle.

That sort of shit does not fly in Australia.

Hayashida
08-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Aether in Australia do you say water like woda

Bacon_Barbarian
08-20-2012, 09:35 AM
They do own the fucking road, Aeth. Legally, they do. Pedestrians have the right of way.

jubeh
08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Because you're not on my list of people to visit.

Also, the people I met were more or less the stereotypical American. What shitted me the most was pedestrians, they seem to think they own the fucking road. I was very close to going off my nut at one woman who, instead of walking on the side of the road in a parking lot, seemed quite content to walk in the fucking middle.

That sort of shit does not fly in Australia.

Since you're not american I guess you didn't know but when somebody does that you just roll down your window and fire your gun (since we all have them) and they'll move.

Aether
08-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Aether in Australia do you say water like wodaNah, we say it like water.

Since you're not american I guess you didn't know but when somebody does that you just roll down your window and fire your gun (since we all have them) and they'll move.Oic, thanks Jubeh.

They do own the fucking road, Aeth. Legally, they do. Pedestrians have the right of way.Go Google jaywalking. Unless there is a pedestrian crossing, they legally don't have right of way. The road is for cars, not people.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.240

Now don't you look like a fucking moron, I know more about your own laws and I'm from another country.

GunZet
08-22-2012, 06:39 AM
See, what you do is just run em over.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-22-2012, 01:33 PM
You said parking lot when you meant road, so I assumed that's what you actually meant. Not the middle of downtown. Walking in a parking lot is fine.

Also, sorry, I'm not from Washington. So no, not really.

Hayashida
08-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Nah, we say it like water.
dont you fucking lie to me, I've seen Wilfred

Bacon_Barbarian
08-22-2012, 05:24 PM
They say woter over in the UK. It be pretty strange. Also, shedule. It's like they're speaking some weird American rip-off language.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but Americans say it like aloo-min-um foil, so morally, we win. We all know it is actually pronounced: tin.

What were you doing America for 5 weeks anyway, Aeth?

Bacon_Barbarian
08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Tin and alumin(i)um foil are ... Not the same thing.

GunZet
08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I watched this one random video on YT, and then checked the comments to find this massive battle about aluminum vs aluminium. I'm like damn people, it's one fuckin' i.
I'll never understand why people gotta hate on us just because we like our words with a certain color and a slightly different flavour.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Tin and alumin(i)um foil are ... Not the same thing.

Tin foil, Bacon, as oppose to aluminium foil. Try to keep up.

Psy
08-22-2012, 07:24 PM
What about shopping cart vs buggy? I may start calling it a trundled to just fuck with everyone at work.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I always called it a shopping trolley, but shopping cart is fine too. Not sure about buggy, though.

GunZet
08-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Having just got from the UK a few days ago, I can say I have experienced the shopping cart/buggy thing when I was in Tesco.

Delphinus
08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I've been 2 the US a few times and I've never seen anyone do anything super stupid so I don't get that stereotype

See everyone in the UK is a super genius and all you colonials should lick our feet

Hayashida
08-22-2012, 09:52 PM
one time I was in the UK and I saw a guy pickin a fight with the air

jubeh
08-22-2012, 10:44 PM
I watch a lot of british tv and I'm p sure without the doctor the whole place would just fall apart.

GunZet
08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
The only way is Essex, and you know it.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-22-2012, 11:44 PM
I watch a lot of british tv and I'm p sure without the doctor the whole place would just fall apart.

Dr Mark Kermode or Dr Who?

The only way is Essex, and you know it.

Oh, fuck, don't tell me people on the other side of the world watch that show. That is so embarrassing. It's like our Seinfeld.

GunZet
08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Naw, I kept seeing commercials for it while I was in the UK. Looks hilarious.
Also, Seinfeld is pretty awesome, wutchu talkin bout, son.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
It's not hilarious, it's utterly terrible and makes you ashamed to be a part of a species that will create something so pathetically, testicle searingly awful...Rather like Seinfeld.

Psy
08-22-2012, 11:55 PM
It's more like your version of "The Hills".

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Never seen The Hills...Is that worse than Seinfeld? Surely not.

Psy
08-23-2012, 12:17 AM
About a bunch of rich prissy bitches and their little douchetard boyfriends/fuck buddies and their every day lives. It was fake reality tv. "omg I like um like him but I don't know" "omg she went away and she got a nose job like how shallow? And she doesn't even look good so shes a total stupid ugly bitch." "dude it's like I can love her but still you know? Just wana have fun and shit." mind rot like that.

A couple from the hills went onto a like b list celebrity survivor show and the guy flipped his shit because some one tore the label off his girlfriends conditioner bottle "YOU DON'T FUCKING DO SHIT LIKE THAT YOU DON'T FUCKING DO THAT *rage rage cokebinge rage pent up homosexual tendencies rage*"

GunZet
08-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Geordie Shore, best show ever.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Birmingham is a ... Nice city.

Aether
08-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Yeah, but Americans say it like aloo-min-um foil, so morally, we win. We all know it is actually pronounced: tin.

What were you doing America for 5 weeks anyway, Aeth?Girlfriend's uncle needed a dogsitter. He paid for her flight over, girlfriend and I split my flight. No accommodation costs, barely any food costs as they left money for that too, cheapest bloody holiday ever, lol.

Also, Red Robin is amazing. I've been craving that ever since I got back to Australia. Don't miss American bacon though, Australian bacon is so much better.

ClockHand
08-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Girlfriend's uncle needed a dogsitter. He paid for her flight over, girlfriend and I split my flight. No accommodation costs, barely any food costs as they left money for that too, cheapest bloody holiday ever, lol.

Also, Red Robin is amazing. I've been craving that ever since I got back to Australia. Don't miss American bacon though, Australian bacon is so much better.

a girlfriend? so the the imaginary kid you said that told you your future was right? is he going to charge you know?

Hayashida
08-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Dr Mark Kermode or Dr Who?

Dr who is way more popular. Probably like 0.1% of Americans would know who Mark Kermode is.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Americans are missing out. Just watch the guys review on Transformers 3. Priceless.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Rifftrax?

Hayashida
08-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Americans are missing out. Just watch the guys review on Transformers 3. Priceless.

yeah im subscribed to him on youtube. Idk why he still puts out videos only available in the UK sometimes though, its annoying as hell.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I was not aware that he did that. You would of thought that if a man has something to say about a movie that is available to everyone worldwide, that he would allow his critique to be available to everyone worldwide also. Strange.

Delphinus
08-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Mark Kermode is God. Have you seen his review of Sex and the City 2?

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that's his best rant so far, imo.

Delphinus
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
"It is an orgy of dripping wealth that made me want to be sick"

Outcast
08-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Hmm, I think I saw that at some point. Did somebody post that here at some point?

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I seem to remember I did, but that was ages ago I think. Here's an article by Lindy West that Kermode quotes in the review.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/burkas-and-birkins/Content?oid=4132715

Bacon_Barbarian
08-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Went to the store with some friends today. Totally walked in the middle of the parking lot. Where cars drive. No one cared.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I care and I wasn't even there.

Evil_Cake
08-24-2012, 10:45 PM
ya same

Bacon_Barbarian
08-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry I caused you guys butthurrt. :(

GunZet
08-24-2012, 11:04 PM
I skate in the street and in parking lots, and all over the place, just not wrecklessly, or in stupid spots, like this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2kO8v_BUAg

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
08-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Shame, if that were you, I would find you sexually attractive.

GunZet
08-25-2012, 12:53 AM
I'll get hit, just for you, HoS ;D

Bacon_Barbarian
08-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Oh baby.