PDA

View Full Version : Short-Panel Comics/Cartoons

Fenn
08-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi. Lately I've been really wanting to try my hand at short comic strips. You know, the small things you would read, maybe not as short as newspaper strips but somewhere along that line.

I was just wondering what the best way to make them was if I plan on uploading them to the computer. Any special paper or tools I should use? Things to remember?

Shadowsfade
08-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Do you mean if you were to draw them by hand, what are the best things to do so that it shows up on the computer once its scanned?

if so, immediate things i can think of is to ink with pen, as you know the outlines will show up, dont draw too small so that detail isnt lost once its on the computer, as a. it'll be harder to read, and b. a lot of your hard work will have gone to waste! Also make sure that your writing is legible!

Demonfyre
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
May I suggest you look into 4koma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonkoma), now that may be something you could try out for your short cartoons :) also for materials to use, that would all depend on what medium you plan on using, traditional or digital?

Fenn
08-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Do you mean if you were to draw them by hand, what are the best things to do so that it shows up on the computer once its scanned?

if so, immediate things i can think of is to ink with pen, as you know the outlines will show up, dont draw too small so that detail isnt lost once its on the computer, as a. it'll be harder to read, and b. a lot of your hard work will have gone to waste! Also make sure that your writing is legible!

May I suggest you look into 4koma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonkoma), now that may be something you could try out for your short cartoons :) also for materials to use, that would all depend on what medium you plan on using, traditional or digital?

I'm going traditional and scanning, so those are good tips Shadowsfade.

And the Yonkoma style...that's a great template to go by! I wasn't sure what format to use, now I do! Thanks Demonfyre.

Demonfyre
08-16-2012, 05:54 PM
You're welcome :D I hope we get a chance to see some later :D

Also when inking try to start from the top right and work down to the bottom left, helps prevent smudging if you weren't aware :)

MiguelAndrew
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/231/0/9/09dc810e658b744658b4ee7b1c550260-d473nin.jpg
Translation:
First Panel
Boy: Hi miss, do you like cotton candy?
Girl: Ay! Sorry, I don't eat one.
Second Panel
Boy: Really?
Girl: yeah!! Really sorry...
Third Panel
Boy: So..instead of a cotton candy...it might be I'll offer myself to you.
Girl: BLEH!!

Medium : Traditional drawing then Photoshop CS3 for lettering

As an example!!

Fenn
08-17-2012, 06:00 PM
You're welcome :D I hope we get a chance to see some later :D

Also when inking try to start from the top right and work down to the bottom left, helps prevent smudging if you weren't aware :)

Are you a lefty? Because I'm a righty, and if I start from top right my hand is gonna rub all over the parts I've done when I get to the bottom left. I imagine the top left would be best to start for a righty?

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/231/0/9/09dc810e658b744658b4ee7b1c550260-d473nin.jpg
Translation:
First Panel
Boy: Hi miss, do you like cotton candy?
Girl: Ay! Sorry, I don't eat one.
Second Panel
Boy: Really?
Girl: yeah!! Really sorry...
Third Panel
Boy: So..instead of a cotton candy...it might be I'll offer myself to you.
Girl: BLEH!!

Medium : Traditional drawing then Photoshop CS3 for lettering

As an example!!

Nice! Did you draw that?

MiguelAndrew
08-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Yes! I draw it last year.Im right handed and has a sweaty hands. I usually start at the top left part going to lower right. When I draw specially inking, I usually has a piece of paper ( size of calling card) in between my hand and the drawn paper. It will serve as shield for my sweat and smudging of ink and pencil and to make my work clean. Every time you ink, let the ink dry first before you draw again so that it will be safer to go along finishing the drawing.
Experience is the best teacher!

Demonfyre
08-18-2012, 07:51 AM
@Fenn - Oops sorry, I never took into account what hand you use to draw with xD

If you are left handed then I would assume you would go from top right to bottom left, but I could be wrong, because as you are now well aware im right handed :L

Fenn
08-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes! I draw it last year.Im right handed and has a sweaty hands. I usually start at the top left part going to lower right. When I draw specially inking, I usually has a piece of paper ( size of calling card) in between my hand and the drawn paper. It will serve as shield for my sweat and smudging of ink and pencil and to make my work clean. Every time you ink, let the ink dry first before you draw again so that it will be safer to go along finishing the drawing.
Experience is the best teacher!

Sounds good. DO you draw the borders of the panels with a ruler?

@Fenn - Oops sorry, I never took into account what hand you use to draw with xD

If you are left handed then I would assume you would go from top right to bottom left, but I could be wrong, because as you are now well aware im right handed :L

I think it's top-left for righties, makes sense to me. Well, I'll find out when I try!

Shadowsfade
08-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it's top left to bottom right for right handers - makes sense when you think about it :) and Miguel's suggestion for using a piece of paper or card to rest your hand on is very good to prevent smudging - artists do a similar thing for charcoal and pastels etc, and as ink smudges its good to do the same!

MiguelAndrew
08-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Yes, I use ruler every time I draw straight lines. Their are tutorials on how to ink using pens (variety of ink pens ex. G Techs, Technical Pens, etc.) and ruler or straight edges.