PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon training help.

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 04:38 PM
So I started playing pokemon black & white and I want to train at least one pokemon in a proper way. I have 2 Sawks and I don't know which one to train properly and which is going to get his life ruined by an awful training.

Sawk 1.
Lvl 15
Bold Nature (+Defense -Attack)
Likes to Run (speed boost)
HP 49
Attack 38
Defense 30
Sp. Attack 16
Sp. Defense 30
Speed 34

Sawk 2.
Lvl 12
Timid Nature (+Speed -Attack)
Likes to Fight (attack boost)
HP 41
Attack 34
Defense 24
Sp. Attack 13
Sp. Defense 25
Speed 28

Which one should I train, and which one should I screw?

Also, how can I fix my starting pokemon? as I made him fight any shit I found, so now I think his EV are screwed.

Demonfyre
08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
First of all, train your Level 12 to 15 then post up its new stats and compare, the level 12 one may develop better than the other.

Secondly what starter did you choose and what level is it currently?

Hayashida
08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
i heard that if u start training them from a lower level they will be stronger than ones you started training from a higher level

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I don't want to make that Sawk fight because then he is going to get EV, and I don't want him to get EV now. I want them to be in neutral position from the start.

I guess I'm going to wait till the exp. share.

I picked a Snivy and its level 15 now.

Hayashida
08-13-2012, 05:02 PM
What's EV? A move? You can make it so that it doesn't learn certain moves u know

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
EV is Effort Value. When you fight certain pokemons you get EV on different stats, and for each 4 EV on that stat, you are going to get a +1.

Basically if you fight Patrats who give 1 EV on strength, ones you killed 4 with the same pokemon, that pokemon is going to have 4 EV points on strength. Ones that pokemon level up, its going to get a +1 on strength. But there is a limit of EV a pokemon can have, and that's the deal.

Demonfyre
08-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Oic, I thought you were meaning evolution >.> I'll need to do some research into these EV's then before I get back to you on this one

toast
08-13-2012, 05:23 PM
In general, I think you should just look for one with Adamant nature since Sawks is a fighting type, and needs a nature that supports his attack/sp attack

However, if you really don't feel like looking for more (you lazy asshole), choose the first one and just EV train it's attack and defense

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't really care the Sp. Attack on a fighting type, as all the moves are just basically Attack base. But yeah I should try to find a more suited Sawk, even so the first one can be really good at receiving damage and getting good speed, but I don't know. Should I train his Defense (even so he already get a defense bonus? Compensate the Attack deficiency? Increase the Sp. Defense as fighting types nemesis are more in the Sp. Attack? or HP?

toast
08-13-2012, 05:31 PM
It's always good to train his defense, but I think you should focus more on attack considering he's a fighting type. You want to make sure he makes the most out of his moves

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Ya, that's the deal, damage vs survival.

I guess I'm going for attack no mater what, but should I complement it be training his Speed, Defense, HP or Sp. Defense? (well he is going to get a good defense no mater what).

toast
08-13-2012, 05:38 PM
hmmm it seems like he gets a speed boost as well considering he likes to run, and he gets a speed boost. I guess it's really up to what you feel like doing. I guess the best thing is to also focus on sp defense and defense, since good attack+ good defense is like the best for a fighting type.

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Ya, but what is more important, Defense or HP? Because it would suck to train the Sp. Defense just to see that it does the same effect as just increasing the HP (which it will work for both defense and sp. defense). Also I feel like Sp. Defense is the most important, because of psychic pokemons.

toast
08-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Honestly both are important. If you have more HP, then you can take more hits. SP defense and defense are more specific, like SP defense lowers the opponents SP attack and defense lowers the opponents normal attack. I think it'd be good just to maintain all three, and keep defense and sp defense about the same.

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 06:13 PM
You are too conservative on your pokemon training.

Demonfyre
08-13-2012, 06:16 PM
We should have a battle over wi fi sometime once you get your pokemon up to higher levels

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 06:27 PM
I use a emulator. I don't have the money for a DS and pokemon black & white. Also I really like this pokemon game (its really fund to play, thing that doesn't happen with the others) but the pokemon design is really awful, like there is no pokemon I feel attached to it.

Is not like in the first gen you had Arcanine, Ninetails, Cloister, Muk or Gengar. And on the second gen, you had Feraligatr, Espeon, Umbreon, Slowking and Scizor. Or on the third gen with Blaziken, Shiftry, Gardevoir, Breloom, Slaking or Agroon.

At least the previews gen had cooler looking pokemons =/. But its a really fun game to play.

Demonfyre
08-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Ah ok then :/ and yeah the pokemon designs were pretty poor, personally I do think Hydreigon is pretty awesome and Servine is ok I guess but thats about it. I suppose once you complete it though you will have access to all the old gen pokemon as well :D

Plus the storyline I think is pretty good, not as nefarious as the previous games but more intriguing I think :P

ClockHand
08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Its cool that the bad guy are pokemon activist who basically want to free pokemon using the force, but they end just doing pokemon battles anyway. Its just hilarious.

Anyway, I'm going to train my first Sawk, as he look pretty good. Probably going to focus on Attack, Special Defense (more focused on this) and Speed. As the main enemy of fight types are psychic moves and flying, and both are really more focused on sp. Attack. and he is already going to get a natural boost to Defense.

Also I'm going to train a Sewaddle, who is proud of her power (which increase attack), and has a Hasty nature, which increase Speed and Lower Defense. The ones that deal most damage against her are Fire (x4), Flying (x4), Ice (x2), Poison (x2), Bug (x2), Rock (x2). At least 4 of them are more focused on Sp. Attack, so Sp. Defense would come in hand, but she has so many disadvantages and she already have a good speed and attack boost, I guess it best to focus her on a glass canon(?). I don't know for sure the path for this one, it has to many weaknesses, its strong on attack (when grass moves are more into sp. attack) and so on. Probably if I use her more as a bug type and less as a grass type, might work.

Demonfyre
08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
I know right, team plasma are such hypocrites :P

And that plan is looking good :) the Sewaddle's end evolution is really goodl and stunningly fast so it will be useful in your team.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but whenever I start a new profile I try to balance my team with as many elements as possible. You could use Serebii.net and look through the online pokedex and do the same, just makes battles much easier plus you can be all strategic about the pokemon you employ and their moves/stats etc. Sometimes I try to stick to one element only, but that's more for a challenge :P

Prince of Angels
08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
I know right, team plasma are such hypocrites :P
lol

I find Bulbapedia more helpful than Serebii. Probably because I coul never navigate the page. I suggest Bulbapedia for info on th actual pokemon and serebii for what pokemon is in the Safari Zone for example. (I know thats not in Black/White, but whatever. :3)

ClockHand
08-14-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a breeding question. I have a male Servine and I want a Snivy. I have 2 female Cottonee to chose, one has a Jolly nature (+speed -sp.attack) and scatter things often (+HP); while the other has a Naive nature (+speed -sp.defense) and often dozes off (+HP). Both Cottonee are on the same level and same moves.

My Servine on the other hand has a Hardy nature (+attack -attack) and loves to eat (+HP).

So which would be the correct combination to breed a Snivy?

Demonfyre
08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
When breeding you will need two of the same pokemon, or a pokemon + ditto, so you are only be able to breed the cottonee (if you get a male). As for Snivy, there is only one available in the game unless you can access the global link, so I don't think you will be able to breed a Snivy unless you can find a ditto after game completion. However, you are using an emulator, there may be a hack or something that will let you get an other one. I think that would be your only option for where you are in the game currently.

ClockHand
08-14-2012, 06:03 PM
As I understand, what mater are egg types, not the pokemon in itself. So Cottonne and Servine are the same egg type, which mean it should work.

Demonfyre
08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
As I understand, what mater are egg types, not the pokemon in itself. So Cottonne and Servine are the same egg type, which mean it should work.

Hmm, try it and let me know if it works. I always believed that breeding required the same pokemon or else they just never laid an egg.

Also why don't you have a trial, as in get an egg from each Cottonee breeding with the Servine and seeing which is the better one?

ClockHand
08-24-2012, 09:31 PM
New question!!!

So there is this move named Embargo which doesn't let your pokemon to use his item. My question if this move has an effect to macho brace when you train EV?

Evil_Cake
08-24-2012, 09:43 PM
NO

ClockHand
08-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Are you sure?

Bacon_Barbarian
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
It definitely shouldn't,. Have you noticed it messing you up? Check the numbers you have with an IV Calc if something seems off.

ClockHand
08-25-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm calculating it by hand. I don't know, the move says my pokemon can't use his item, so it concerns me that he might not be getting double EV.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it works like the EXP share, you're still going to get the benefits after the battle. I also recommend you use this (http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml), going by hand can be tricky, especially if you goof something.

Demonfyre
08-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Embargo isn't anything special, it would be worth your while using that space for something more offensive or an other status inflicting move, they are really useful if you can learn how to use with offensive moves.

Bacon_Barbarian
08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
He ... Isn't looking to use it as a move.