PDA

View Full Version : Question #2 - Popular Programs Used by Artists

KakashiTheSharingan
01-20-2011, 05:56 PM
For most comic or manga artists in the world....Do they use computer art program for the comics....If so, What programs they use?

Rio
01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
From what I've seen, most manga artists in Japan still do it the old fashioned way of paper and ink. Most Western comic artists though are a bit more open to non-traditional methods using computers* but there are still those who do make it the traditional way.

* Software's used here in the west are generally one's like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and so on. Manga Studio is a known software but I don't know if anyone actually uses it to make their manga. It definitely has a lot of tone resources which is great as tones are kind of hard to come by in this side of the world.

Speaking of software, I do know lots of manga artists like coloring their work on Paint Tool Sai and Photoshop.

KakashiTheSharingan
01-20-2011, 06:58 PM
So either one is preferable,right?

Rio
01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Yup. Either one is preferable but in a nutshell: Whatever you want to use is usually the best.

KakashiTheSharingan
01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Okay cool...any tutorials on how to use those programs?

Bacon_Barbarian
01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I have Manga Studio... It's pretty nice Debut (which I have) is only around $45-50 too.

Rio
01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Okay cool...any tutorials on how to use those programs?

Yup, tons! Have you tried doing a search?

KakashiTheSharingan
01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Nope i havent lol

nisaren
01-24-2011, 08:25 AM
I have to shout out for using Paint Tool SAI. If you want to do draw or paint, this program is amazing. You won't find another program that has brushes that are as responsive. However, there are no layout features that you will find with other more general use programs like Photoshop. If you want to do manga, I highly recommend either pairing SAI up with another program such as GIMP or Photoshop. Or just use Manga Studio 4 EX. I work with all three of these programs and they're all very good, but each requires a bit of learning to realize the full power of the program.

Handy333
01-28-2011, 12:46 PM
What do they use to make anime? Flash nor Anime studio cannot be the answer to that.
I remember an anime where they actually explained it, it had something to do with a kid and a bat
it was on adult swim for some time. Whatever.

What do they use?

Rio
01-28-2011, 10:46 PM
They probably use Maya. It's the most widely used 3D creation software out there. Anime studios still either make anime the old fashioned way or use software's now. Flash can be used to make animation and if you take the time to learn it, you can definitely create something similar to those animations you see broadcast in Cartoon Network and so on.

LVUER
01-28-2011, 10:55 PM
From what I heard from a friend who works in animation, he use Abode After Effect to finish the animation touch (and the animation itself). He uses Maya to make the animation, but after all the 3Ds done, he still use After Effect.