PDA

View Full Version : Developers: Let's Get Going

jaidurn
07-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Today I've started getting back into game design/programming. I watched Indie Game: The Movie and it really was a great motivator. I really like documentaries like this because it makes the people seem more real.

And thus, I've decided to start working on some little projects so I can build up to a larger project. Feel free to join me in working on your own little project and lets see what we can do.

I want to make this a goal based test. Just to see what I can do.

I'll report in this thread daily with a post that looks more like a dev log so that I can keep track of what I'm doing and hopefully inspire others to join in.

I want to try this for at least a week and see what happens.

TL;DR: Lets make some games.

AlmanacnamedTime
07-28-2012, 03:10 PM
What kind of game is the goal?

GunZet
07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Too bad I've stopped making games./

jubeh
07-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Kind of annoying you just didn't put this in the game developers thread but whateva

jaidurn
07-28-2012, 03:58 PM
@Al: I'm going to do a self discovery game, I guess. If anyone else were to join in they could do whatever they wanted to do.

@G-man: Man, you could try finding someone to do the coding. I know you could do it, man.

@Jubro: I felt like this should be more of a project for those of us on mt who make games could partake in and that it wouldn't really fit in there.

jaidurn
07-29-2012, 07:49 PM
---------------------
//Day 1 - 7/28/2012\\
---------------------

I started working on the movement mechanics today. I have rough graphics in place and so far the character responds to the left and right arrow keys moving in the respective direction. I still have yet to figure out collision and collision checking. That is a job for tomorrow if I have enough time.

I start a new job this evening and I'll be working nights. I do not know how this will affect development. Hopefully I can get a decent sleeping schedule down before long so I may be awake with my area of the world.

Sunday might be a slow day in development. I don't know when I'll wake up.

I must be off to work.

---------------------
//Day 2 - 7/29/2012\\
---------------------

10:46AM - This morning started late for me. My alarm didn't go off when I set it for and I woke up a couple times and just went back to sleep. I finally woke for good around 10:05.

I have a function to go to for 4 hours. I work shortly after. I may not be able to work on my project at all today. I might work on it after I get home from work, but that will be considered another day.

Hopefully, I can figure some coding out before I leave for church. If I can't, then I have failed for today.

jaidurn
08-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I totally didn't keep up on a journal and I did go a couple days without doing anything on my project because of work and other things, BUT.

I have yet to give up and I'm still working. It's been a week and a day and I've got most of the mechanics down, I just need to get a level developed so I can test how it's working so far.

Things I still need to work on are water physics and object physics.

Working on the first level/test level. Still a really rough design, mostly just trying to get ideas down so I can
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/jaidurn_charre/th_levelonedesign.png (http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/jaidurn_charre/?action=view&current=levelonedesign.png)

Regantor
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
What are you even using to code that? I'd guess Flash because of the weird level curves... Alrough that is if they even have precise collision detection. >_>

Looks legit, but hard to say without seeing it in action, anyway.

Constantly working on stuff myself. Can never settle on one idea for long enough, through.

jaidurn
08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm currently using C# and the XNA framework. Most of the collision detection is handled on a hidden layer.

Fenn
08-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Are you still doing this? I just started work on a game today, I wanna take part.

I'm working on a basketball game, except it's an RTS/RPG. You recruit and build up player's skills, and you can give them commands with the mouse like pass, shoot, move here, guard that player, etc. but you act more as a coach than the player. You control aggresiveness, Man-to-Man matchups, provide passive buffs during timeouts, call plays, etc.

I have very specific formulas already written in Excel spreadsheets to calculate shot %, effectiveness of defender on ball, etc, as well as the system for player stats. I could go on but it's very late.

How does the thread work then? Post what we do each day? If that's the case I made the court background, hoops, ball, and a few player animations.

jaidurn
08-13-2012, 04:47 AM
I am still doing this, but I've been working slower than I would like, working two jobs and all.

That sounds like it's pretty rad, Fenn. You've got quite a bit to work with it sounds like.

And yeah, feel free to post everyday if you'd like. I love seeing other people's progress.

Fenn
08-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Spent way too much time today getting the ball's path to the hoop on shots to work. Still haven't nailed it yet. Once that's done I can get to more important stuff.

scanten71-402san
03-22-2013, 05:14 AM
I use game maker, even though this stupid YoYoGames has banned me. And my friend wants to make a game with Car Unity engine.

Sylux
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
holy shit big time necromancer here

jubeh
03-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Fortuitous necro. I want to make a game but Idk what to work on seriously. I will probably make a post outlining what I have and why I stopped working on them.

Sylux
03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Oh on a side note I've actually gotten a team together for a survival horror game I'm making. We've got a writer, a 3D environment modeler and a character modeler, as well as several composers who have expressed interest in contributing to the soundtrack. Now we need a concept fartist and a friggin' programmer but over the next few weeks me and the environment modeler are just gonna build up a massive library of assets to use in a level builder.

Evil_Cake
03-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Fortuitous necro. I want to make a game but Idk what to work on seriously. I will probably make a post outlining what I have and why I stopped working on them.

Mafia app game

Rio
03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Now we need a concept fartist Wow, must be a heck of a job! XD

Sylux
03-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Yeah it's difficult finding strangers to work with you when not even people you thought were your friends or at least long-LONG-time acquaintances can take a few minutes to read something you wrote specifically for them to tell you if it's good or not and you have to end up paying outside sources to give you critiques. But hey, I think we can manage with a Canadian, and American, an Australian and a Ukrainian.