PDA

View Full Version : Manga Month (MaMo) 2011

Rio
01-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I've been considering this for awhile now and I just want to gauge how many here would be interested in participating in an event like NaNoWriMo except instead of writing for a month, we'll be doing a manga for a month.

The concept is just to have participants to get off their ass and create something by the end of the month in a supportive environment. The result is participants will get experience creating their own manga, will have finished a manga, and just bounce off ideas and get feedback from everyone.

There were two things I can see people doing this. They can either a) make a manga a day (i.e. one 4-koma per day) or b) create one manga chapter by the end of the month. How polished (i.e. inked, etc) the final item is depends on each person but the basic goal is to just get something done.

I've actually done something like this but I made a small video game. I had fun with it and really liked all the support and camaraderie that popped up between participants and just people who liked watching everyone's progression. Everyone also got to play all the resulting games at the end of the month too!

Let me know if you're interested in participating!

==========================================

Details
Goal: Finish a chapter of manga by the end of February.

Extra Info: Page length, type of story and so on will depend on each participant. It would be best to have a finished manga that is inked but the main goal is to have a completed chapter.

Tutorials: All About Manga Paper (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/news/all-about-manga-paper/) - teaches basics of manga composition/panel management and also has links to digital manga paper for your use.

Participants
Angel_Dreamer13
Bacon_Barbarian
DrPumpkin
Gedeon
Jaidurn
Leoh
M3S1H
MiKuRu
Nisaren
PWhit
Rio
Saith
Son44
Yara
Zoe
________ <--- Your name here!

Bacon_Barbarian
01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
I would be, except I'm sort of notorious for a lack of commitment... However, Mid-Terms are done and such. I think it'd be good practice to. Try and get a 20 Page~ short comic done. I was working on making an adaption of a short-story by JK Rowling, but I;m not sure how legal that is... :/

Regantor
01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Eh, I think it's a pretty good idea, but a full 30-page manga is probally a bit over the top... That's a page per day with little time for going back and changing things. Ten-fifteen pages might be more reasonable. Perhaps giving everybody a common theme so they all fit togeather is an idea, too?

Also, Bacon, it's perfectly legal as long as you aren't selling it. ;I

Yara
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm already working on a project, but didn't start sketching yet. I'm in, Rio =)

Evil_Cake
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
how will this work tho

Rio
01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
@ Regantor
You don't necessarily have to make 30 pages. You just have to complete a chapter which could be 10 pages long or 30 pages long or more for the totally ambitious. Normal manga chapters are around 16-20 pages which I think is decent as you do need time to write the story, storyboard it, and then draw and ink it all. 4-koma's a a little different and can be done daily since they're so short and usually not as intensive as making a chapter of manga. That's why I suggested doing a 4-koma every day for the whole month.

A theme is fine but I don't want to pigeonhole anyone into creating xyz if they want to do abc instead. Maybe we can have a themed month sometime later in the year?

how will this work tho
What do you mean? For one month, all participants will try to create their manga and finish it by the end of the month. During that time, they can go on here and get feedback, rant, show their progress and so on. At the end of the month, they'll post what they finished, didn't finish, or partially finished.

Anyways, how's about we do it next month?

Bacon_Barbarian
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Also, Bacon, it's perfectly legal as long as you aren't selling it. ;I

YES! I already have roughs (VERY ROUGH ROUGHS) from last summer... And I'm fine with February, heck I might start this week-end! Or would that be cheating?

Regantor
01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I guess this sounds workable. To be honest I'd probally be too busy working with my pre-existing comic thing to enter this month, but I can certainly hang around to give advice. :o

angel_dreamer13
01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm in :)
could I do a short story instead, maybe a couple of chapters?

Bacon_Barbarian
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm in :)
could I do a short story instead, maybe a couple of chapters?

Do the minimum, and people'll be happy. Exceed, and they'll be much more so.

LVUER
01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
A good idea and I really want to participate... but I already have some projects going and a competition that I definitely must enter... so perhaps next year?

DrPumpkin
01-21-2011, 02:41 AM
Madam, I am in. :)

ClockHand
01-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I think I told you Rio if we could do a manga challenge like this =/.

But I think is better to do it annual.

Rio
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Great! I'll lay out the details in the first post and move this thread to the Contest & Events section.

@ Bacon_Barbarian
Yeah, go ahead and start if you want. I think I'll be working on the story outline this weekend just to get a head start. February's a short month. <_<;

@ Clock
Yes, I remember that talk though I think it was more in regards to the contest that Resa dropped during the summer last year or something.

@ LVUER
Are you participating in NaNoRenO?

Bacon_Barbarian
01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Bacon_Barbarian
Yeah, go ahead and start if you want. I think I'll be working on the story outline this weekend just to get a head start. February's a short month. <_<

Maybe it should be March from next year on...

LVUER
01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
@Rio:
Perhaps not this year. The reason is just like I've wrote before. This year is kinda very important to me, so I have to be able to make some money from drawing/making comic/manga. If not, it's probable that I have to let go my dream to become a professional artist (which I don't want to).

My best bet right now is to make a manga and send it to a local major publisher that support local manga movement. If somehow I make it, my manga will be published all around Indonesia ^_^

A selfish request of mine, if you don't mind... NaNoRenO is held at March each year, right? If possible, I want the "A Month Manga Challenge" is not held at March since it will overlap with NaNoRenO (making me have to choose between them). I really want to participate in both event, so... but anyway, not this year. Too bad I can't participate in the very first "A Month Manga Challenge"... (what a mouthful, we need to think a shorter name for the event).

Rio
01-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Maybe it should be March from next year on...Hrrmm... maybe. We'll see how February works out first. Maybe having less than 30 days will actually work out fine.

"A Month Manga Challenge"... (what a mouthful, we need to think a shorter name for the event).
I was thinking MoMa but it reminds me of the shorthand for the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) so maybe MaMo (Manga Month) will work out better? Or MaMoCha for Manga Month Challenge.

LVUER
01-21-2011, 11:45 PM
How about OMAC (One Month Manga Challenge)?

Rio
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Hm, not bad. ...Though, superficially, mine sounds better. :p

Alright, I've pretty much decided on what I'm doing for my manga. Some info:

Title: Fiend+Esh
Type: I haven't decided between a 4-koma or one chapter.
Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
What's it About: A "boy" that lives in a cardboard box.

:D

angel_dreamer13
01-22-2011, 02:20 PM
I like MaMoCha :)

jaidurn
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
My name here. Please.

Zoe
01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
I think I'll try! ;x

Now to think of an idea...

DrPumpkin
01-23-2011, 01:43 AM
I'm thinking of getting a few short scenes from TVs/Movies and making them into the manga format on paper.

Any suggestions to what I should do?

Evil_Cake
01-23-2011, 02:03 AM
something from ur favorite show/movie

DrPumpkin
01-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Yeah, but there's too much for me to pick from.

And I can't decide.

Rio
01-23-2011, 09:58 AM
@ Jaidurn & Zoe
Whohooo! I've added you guys to the list. So that makes 7 participants now! :3

@ DrPumpkin
How about stringing unforgettable moments from these TV shows/movies and making a story out of it from all those mixed parts? Anyways, I would pick a theme first - what genre will you manga be? Comedy? Fantasy? Sci-fi? Then pick shows and movie scenes from the genre you picked and put your manga together.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Title: Harry Potter Prequel
Type: 1 Chapter
Genre: Fantasy
What's it About: JK Rowling made a short prequel (800 words) about Sirius and James. I'm adapting it to get some experience.

Zoe
01-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I think I may do one of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales, maybe The Little Mermaid...

angel_dreamer13
01-23-2011, 05:14 PM
I was thinking Hans Christian Anderson too, I haven't picked a story yet though.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Pssst. Do Grimms.

Also, I've started... should I sketch everything out first, or sketch a page and then do it? Becuase I'm probably 1/5 done with the title page and have the first page sketched out already.

Rio
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I think you should just do all the sketches first before you make the final pages.

Evil_Cake
01-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Pssst. Do Grimms.

Also, I've started... should I sketch everything out first, or sketch a page and then do it? Becuase I'm probably 1/5 done with the title page and have the first page sketched out already.personally I dont sketch em all out first but I am retarded

Bacon_Barbarian
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Well ... I guess from now on I'll sketch

nisaren
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
This sounds fun. I actually have written out a 30 page one shot and this might actually give me the inclination to complete it. Count me in too. :D

Rio
01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Wut? 30 pages?! Whatcha writing???

nisaren
01-24-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't mean I've drawn it, just written the script for it, lol. It's a one shot that is 30 pages total, well 31 with title page.

Rio
01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Well... still. 30 pages can be a lot when converted into manga pages. So, did you start on character designs yet? :3

angel_dreamer13
01-24-2011, 08:39 PM
oh now I have yet another idea...how am I gonna decide before February? ;__;
I'm debating between an adaption of some kind of fairy tale and a short prequel to a series I'm planning to write. what do you guys think I should pick?

Bacon_Barbarian
01-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Well... still. 30 pages can be a lot when converted into manga pages. So, did you start on character designs yet? :3

Yeah, but a lot of those pages are details. Which you don't actually write, but draw.

oh now I have yet another idea...how am I gonna decide before February? ;__;
I'm debating between an adaption of some kind of fairy tale and a short prequel to a series I'm planning to write. what do you guys think I should pick?

Flip a coin man. My 2 cents is that an adaptation, (like what I'm doing) will help you get used to the process. On the other hand, doing your prequel will help you get started in the creative process.

angel_dreamer13
01-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I think I'm going to do the fairy tale just cause I'm lazy. XD
now I have to pick one. O_O

nisaren
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a basic design for the female protagonist. I'm still working on one for the male protagonist. Oddly enough, I'm not as worried about the character design. It's a fantasy story where dragons play a large role and I'm more worried about figuring out how to draw a decent dragon. I don't want a super evil looking dragon but I don't want something excessively cute like the dragon from "How to Train Your Dragon". So I need to work out what I want on that front.

But yeah, 30 pages is a lot, but I've described things fairly well in the script including the paneling.

Edit: Oh I just realized you thought that I actually wrote a script that is 30 pages long. No I wrote a script for a 30 page manga one-shot. The actual length of the script is only a few pages.

Rio
01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Man, I feel like I should catch up. =_=

:goes off and writes story:

angel_dreamer13
01-24-2011, 09:42 PM
holy crap people are writing already? o.o" looks like I'm behind as usual...

Son44
01-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Interesting... I might join, but I haven't written anything or thought about characters....Oh well

DrPumpkin
01-25-2011, 07:35 AM
So, should we post early pages or character designs and plot ideas along the way?

Not that I have anything yet, but, er, yeah. Just askin'.

Also, not that anyone really cares, but I've given up the whole TV/Movie adaptation thingy.

Rio
01-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Interesting... I might join, but I haven't written anything or thought about characters....Oh wellJoin man! Join! Go draw something cool like the MT Drinks Bar or something. :adds Son to list:

So, should we post early pages or character designs and plot ideas along the way?

Not that I have anything yet, but, er, yeah. Just askin'.

Also, not that anyone really cares, but I've given up the whole TV/Movie adaptation thingy.Yeah! I'd love to see people's progress! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see previews too. :3

So what are you doing now, story-wise?

Saith
01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I would join but I hate to show off any unfinished manga (read: not done over in gimp), and my tablet's dead somehow, so yeah. I'd get maybe one page out, before the path tool in gimp commits suicide. Also my hands.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I think I'm going to do the fairy tale just cause I'm lazy. XD
now I have to pick one. O_O

Good luck, there are a lot of nice ones out there.

holy crap people are writing already? o.o" looks like I'm behind as usual...

Nah. You're adapting. Less work. (So am I.)

angel_dreamer13
01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
so what do you guys think of adapting a classic fairy tale so that it takes place in the modern world? I think it would make the process a bit more interesting, but, I want to draw a ball gown really badly (and the rest of the old-fashioned world as well). so I'm still debating.
Edit: ok never mind, I'm doing a fairy tale set in an old-fashioned world. should I do thumbelina or the little match girl? I can't decide ;_;

Rio
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
@ Saith
Awwwww~! That's too bad. We would appreciate your support though! We need cheerleaders!

@ angel_dreamer
No Match Stick Girl! It's too sad! Go with Thumbelina! Yes, you can make a totally hot fairy prince too. Think about it: hot fairy prince vs. sad, sad story. Sad story = depressing. Hot prince = yay! .....But yeah, it's your choice. :3

Bacon_Barbarian
01-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Been ignoring advice. Preview of the Cover.

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2011/01/Bacon_Barbarian-preview.png

Rio
01-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Cool. Are you using Manga Studio?

Btw, maybe you should add tone in the background to make the two guys pop out more.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks.

I haven't added tone yet (except for on the bike). And yes, I'm using Manga Studio. (And my Tablet of course.) It's suppose to be @ night though, so I'm at a lost what tone I'll use.

I'll figure something out.

angel_dreamer13
01-25-2011, 10:24 PM
@ Saith
Awwwww~! That's too bad. We would appreciate your support though! We need cheerleaders!

@ angel_dreamer
No Match Stick Girl! It's too sad! Go with Thumbelina! Yes, you can make a totally hot fairy prince too. Think about it: hot fairy prince vs. sad, sad story. Sad story = depressing. Hot prince = yay! .....But yeah, it's your choice. :3
I was already leaning toward thumbelina, lol. I think you just convinced me. XD
the matchstick girl is one of my favorite stories actually, but I probably do need to get out of the depressing story thing. I've been doing too many of those lately.
and pffft, hot fairy prince can very easily turn into girly fairy prince in my style but I'll give it a shot. XD
I'll post a rough sketch of the cover tomorrow if I can manage it. :)

Rio
01-25-2011, 11:01 PM
@ Bacon
How about some speed lines? Do it inverted so the lines are white and the background in black.

@ angel_dreamer
W00t! Girly prince is fine just as long as he's hot! ;p
Can't wait to see thecover, btw.

On my end, I just finished writing some character profiles. I'll be doing some character designs next and start outlining the first chapter.

DrPumpkin
01-26-2011, 04:15 AM
I don't believe it. I've actually done something.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/DrPumpkin1214/howtocurewritersblock.png

I've decided to work on a black-comedy-slice of life story about a writer and his assistant. The original title was 'How to cure writer's block, get a life and quit smoking in seventeen easy steps' but, y'know, for obvious reasons, that wasn't really going to work. Above is the writer and the title logo that I doodled and ended up liking.

Also, it's definitely not going to be BL. Whatever the accidental bulge I drew on his shorts may imply, it is NOT going to be Yaoi. ;)

Also, I've always wondered what Thumbelina would be like if it was set in space. XD

Saith
01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I... I guess I could dance, but I'm not guaranteeing that you'll like it.

Son44
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Got some ideas running around in my head.... Ill post a sketch or two later

butternut
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
We submit it at end of feb right? I really really want to do something, but i'm scared i cant complete it!
i already have ideas for characters and stuff(already started sketching them), but all I could think of right now is childish-adventure-supernatural-cliched stuff.
Gulp, do i join?or do i not? i'll cheer on for you guys though!
I absolutely love your idea Dr.Pumpkin!

Rio
01-26-2011, 02:28 PM
@ DrPumkpin
Thumbelina in Space. I likes. A space opera fairy tail.....

@ Saith
Woohooo~! I don't care. We gots a cheerleader guys!

@ saphira
Join! Join! Join! I don't know if I'll finish mine either but I'll try anyways. And yes, we'll shoot for February 28th but if you need a few more extras days to complete, then it's no big deal if you don't get it on time. The main purpose is just to get you started and try to complete a chapter in a supportive environment. C:

Oh, and I'll make you cheerleader #2. Anyone else wants to join the cheer squad? No experience necessary!

Bacon_Barbarian
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
@ Bacon
How about some speed lines? Do it inverted so the lines are white and the background in black.

Oooh. Good idea. I forgot I could do that. lol.

On my end, I just finished writing some character profiles. I'll be doing some character designs next and start outlining the first chapter.

You're a very brave lady Rio.

Also, what's this about Cheer-Leaders? You mean just cheering on others on the site, right?

butternut
01-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Oh thank you!! Now i'm gonna get a lot busier! (Feb and March are test-months :| )

Rio
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
You're a very brave lady Rio.

Also, what's this about Cheer-Leaders? You mean just cheering on others on the site, right?Eh? How so? And yes, cheerleaders will cheer us on as we work our butts off next month. I don't know about cheering others on the site though...

Oh thank you!! Now i'm gonna get a lot busier! (Feb and March are test-months :| )You're welcome! You do well under pressure right? :D

Bacon_Barbarian
01-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Eh? How so?

Character creation's tough.

I don't know about cheering others on the site though...

What. You lost me...

angel_dreamer13
01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
okay. don't ask me how, but I managed to lose or break every single one of my good pens. so no cover preview until I can go buy some more, which should be tomorrow, but then again we might get hit by megastorm and be buried in snow. so it might be a while.
now I have to figure out how to make the fairy prince hot ;_; (I have no taste in guys lol)

Bacon_Barbarian
01-26-2011, 08:57 PM
okay. don't ask me how, but I managed to lose or break every single one of my good pens. so no cover preview until I can go buy some more, which should be tomorrow, but then again we might get hit by megastorm and be buried in snow. so it might be a while.
now I have to figure out how to make the fairy prince hot ;_; (I have no taste in guys lol)
Look up sexiest man alive?

Rio
01-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Character creation's tough.

What. You lost me...

It's not so bad in my experience. Character development on the other hand....

Well, never mind then. I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere and I don't feel like explaining. 3_3

now I have to figure out how to make the fairy prince hot ;_; (I have no taste in guys lol) You said good pens. Do you have any bad ones you can use instead? I'm currently being hit with the snowstorm where I am. Suffered a black out too but thankfully it lasted for only like a minute or two.

Want inspiration??? 1/2 Prince hotty! (http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/126/c/f/Half_Prince___Prince_praying_by_LadyYuyu.jpg)

angel_dreamer13
01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
.o. *is inspired*
my bad pens are horrible. really horrible. and megastorm has cooled down to a predicted 5 inches or so in my area so I'm almost definitely going to be able to go out tomorrow. :D

Rio
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
.o. *is inspired*
my bad pens are horrible. really horrible. and megastorm has cooled down to a predicted 5 inches or so in my area so I'm almost definitely going to be able to go out tomorrow. :DGood! My work here is done. If you want more hotties, drop by the ol' Hottest Dudes of Anime/Manga (http://www.mangatutorials.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1422) thread for more inspiration! <3

Zoe
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Murr, I need to get going on this... I know what I want to do (script/thumbnails) first, but it just feels so overwhelming. ;-;

I think I'll work on it tomorrow when I'm supposed to be tutoring people (don't get many people coming in for help this early in the semester).

I'm supposed to get 8-12 inches. Yuck.

MiKuRu
01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
I don't mind joining. I already have a manga in progress and did some pages but I will be doing a remake of the first few pages so I guess this will be a good time to do that =D. Count me in. Oh and http://mitmit-studios.deviantart.com/. This is where my manga is atm. I did it like when I first started out taking art seriously so I can't say you will like it. I'll show you guys the remake when its done :D.

nisaren
01-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Murr, I need to get going on this... I know what I want to do (script/thumbnails) first, but it just feels so overwhelming. ;-;

I think I'll work on it tomorrow when I'm supposed to be tutoring people (don't get many people coming in for help this early in the semester).

I'm supposed to get 8-12 inches. Yuck.

I was really overwhelmed when I first tried to tackle writing it and I found a really simple way to get started with the script at least. Having a simple process can really help if you don't know where to start. There are basically three steps. I'll post examples using the script I've been developing.

1. Write a 1-2 Paragraph Synopsis of your story.

Title: Rebirth
Synopsis: Paden is the young Warden of an old dragon. When a dragon dies it is said that its Warden must sacrifice himself so that another dragon will replace it. Paden’s dragon becomes ill and Erin, his love interest, becomes depressed because she knows he will leave forever soon. The dragon dies and gives Paden his kuroiflamme which he takes and runs off with. After a long journey Paden finally collapses. A blinding flash occurs and a mountain forms with a new dragon uncurling its wings at the top of the mountain.
Erin has been inconsolable for the past couple of weeks since Paden left. She looks up out over the horizon and sees a dragon coming back. She runs to the bay to greet it and sees a scar on the dragon’s face that had been in the same position on the Paden’s face. She smiles as she looks up at him with tears in her eyes.

2. Page planning - Here you figure out how many pages you need to tell each part of the story. This helps with pacing the story. My story is 31 pages long including a title page.

1: Title Page
2-5: Paden is taking care of the dragon. Erin enters and brings him a tray of food and he smiles at her, they share lunch together
6-7: Paden’s dragon acted belligerently while Erin was there, Paden defends her and ends up with a gash down the left side of his face.
8-11: Erin feels horrible that he was injured because of her. She sits by his bed, Paden has the left side of his face bandaged. Paden calms her and they embrace.
12: Paden enters his dragon’s chambers to find it sick. He calls out for help and soon there are lots of people working to figure out what is wrong. Erin looks on from afar distressed.
13: The dragon dies and gives Paden his kuroiflamme (black flame) and he leaves the Pillar with one last look back at Erin
14-17: Paden runs far to the south through varying terrain in search of the dragon. Erin grieves while looking out of a window facing south.
18-19: Paden is unable to find any sign of dragons and continues searching. Erin sits now in front of the window and turns down food that is offered.
20: Paden finally reaches his limit and lays down, says his apologies to Erin whom he sees in his thoughts.
21: Paden’s body is consumed by the black fire and a large flash occurs.
22-23: The ground shakes and a pillar of black fire rises to the sky. A new mountain rises up out of the ground and on the top of the mountain a dragon unfurls its wings.
24-25: Erin’s mother looks in worried on her. The food that sits on the table next to her lays untouched. She decides she must force Erin to eat otherwise she will waste away.
26: In the midst of their fight, they hear the cry of the dragon to the south.
27: Erin stands up weakly leaning on her mother for support.
28: She is helped down to the waiting area with her mother and she sits.
29-30: People dash around preparing the newly arrived dragon
31: She is finally let in and sees the dragon. Sees the scar on its face – the same as Paden’s and smiles.

3. Page Details. This is the last step of the script writing. Go into detail what is happening on each page. You can go into further detail by describing each panel or just leave it as a loose paragraph of action and dialogue. This can get pretty long so I've only included the first couple of pages for my script.

Page 1: Title Page
Description: Incorporate Paden, Erin and Paden in his dragon form together.

Page 2-5: Paden is taking care of the dragon. Erin enters and brings him a tray of food and he smiles at her, they share lunch together

Page 2:
Panel 1: Erin is walking down the hallway holding a tray of food. It’s the first time she’s been allowed to enter a dragon’s chambers. She’s nervous.
Panel 2: Erin stops in front of a pair of doors and practically drops her trays from a tremor that passes down the hallway. She lets out an “Eeek!”
Panel 3: She sucks in her breath and pulls open the door
Panel 4: Erin enters into an anteroom that has a large open door at the other side. It’s dark in the anteroom most of its light coming from the room opposite. She looks worried.
Panel 5: Erin walks through the middle of the anteroom staying in the light that flows in from the door opposite. A voice comes from the room. “Aww, come on Salin.”

Page 3:
Panel 1: Erin enters into the light of the room and looks surprised.
Panel 2: Paden is standing with a toothbrush. “You know I hate doing this as much as you do.”
Panel 3: Paden looks around when he hears a giggle from Erin.
Panel 4: Erin has set the tray down on a small table to the side of the large door and has a hand held over her mouth.
Panel 5: Paden flushes a little as he notices Erin and turns away from her.

Page 4:
Panel 1: Paden looks up at Salin and whispers, “Don’t make me look bad in front of her.”
Panel 2: Salin tilts his head and looks at Erin as Paden turns back to her and gives a crooked smile.
Panel 3: Paden turns back to Salin and whispers “Please”
Panel 4: Salin drops his head with a grumble
Panel 5: Paden lifts the mouth up and holds it open with one foot on the bottom jaw and one hand holding it up. He holds the toothbrush in the other hand.
Panel 6: He begins to brush and turns his head to smile at Erin and Erin smiles back.

Page 5:
Panel 1: He brushes too vigorously while he looks back at Erin and foam is going everywhere.
Panel 2: Salin’s stomach grumbles and smoke rises from his mouth as the foam continues to fly everywhere.
Panel 3: Erin stands up looking worried and says “Um…” with one hand clutching her dress and the other stretched out in front of her. Paden looks at her confused as another large grumble erupts
Panel 4: Paden looks back in time for Salin to belch flame

When you're doing a short story you don't need to worry about all of the fine details for each character. I think in many ways it's better to just have an idea because ideas are easy to change as they need to be. Once you start writing ideas down, they become much harder to change and then you start trying to make things conform to them rather than making the ideas conform to the story.

Just as a disclaimer, the setting for this story was one that I wrote about and developed for my Nanowrimo novel this past November. So I have written quite a bit about the world in which these characters live - 50,000 words or so to be precise. If you don't want to spend time writing backstory or other things just fall back on the real world, or things you know.

I hope this helps some of you in your script writing or just planning. I know it really helped me when I first tried using it.

Saith
01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm just really tempted to draw to draw myself in an American cheerleaders outfit, now, despite the cramp I'll get from the path tool. ;_;

Leoh
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
alrighty, i'm up to it.
i wanna become a pro mangaka so i want to atleast be experienced on how it'll work out since my parents said okay only if i keep my grades up :)

Rio
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
@ MiKuRu & Leoh
Great! Glad to have you guys aboard! That makes 11 of us now.

@ nisaren
Wow, that's mighty useful! :jots down notes: Mind if I post this up in the Tutorial section (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/news/)?

@ Saith
Go for it! I was tempted myself but I don't know what to draw you guys as since you've got no avy. :)

Bacon_Barbarian
01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
It's not so bad in my experience. Character development on the other hand...

Touché. I guess that's what I meant. Sort of. Setting's worse. Got to make sure everything makes sense. That's why I'm adapting not working on my idea...

And how are you suppose to know how much to come up with? I'm sure Kishi didn't have Naruto planned out to Shippuden, but did he have it to Zabuza in his head when it was first published? Who knows...

nisaren
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
@Rio Sure, I don't mind. Hopefully more people will find it useful. ^^

And now I won't be able to pull any surprises when I draw it out D:

Bacon_Barbarian
01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
... Your Manga is going to be longer then 5 pages I hope.

Rio
01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
@ Bacon
I've heard that some artists go on a chapter to chapter basis while others like Oda of One Piece and Arakawa of FMA already mapped out the entire story from the beginning. I guess it would really depend on the artist/writer. I think Slice of Life genre's can get away with doing a chapter to chapter basis because it's about everyday life and that leaves the creator a lot of room as to what to do next.

@ Nisaren
Thanks! I'll post it up asap.

You'll be fine. Reading the basic summary is not the same as actually having the images to go with it and all the other environmental and emotional details. C:

Bacon_Barbarian
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
@ Bacon
I've heard that some artists go on a chapter to chapter basis while others like Oda of One Piece and Arakawa of FMA already mapped out the entire story from the beginning. I guess it would really depend on the artist/writer. I think Slice of Life genre's can get away with doing a chapter to chapter basis because it's about everyday life and that leaves the creator a lot of room as to what to do next.

Oda cant have it had it planned till now. It's impossible. IMPOSSIBLE! (Though I have heard that before. I wonder what he was smocking in High School...) As for the Slice of Life thing, that makes sense, but that isn't the sort of manga that I have running around in my head is.

Rio
01-27-2011, 03:58 PM
He has. I read it in his SBS Question Corner in the graphic novels. He said that he's halfway through right now.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I know, I've read it too, I just don't believe him. :P

I guess he could have it planned out by ad large, but I'm sure he didn't have all the little details in there since the very beginning.

Rio
01-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was like that too. It's hard to think of the minute details way in advance. Did you read about Boa Hancock, how Oda had an idea for her and drew her months ahead for the Jump cover but when she actually appeared, the design changed a bit?

Anyways, back on topic, I'd be happy just to get one chapter done. xD
Speaking of which, I was lurking in the Antarctic-Press (http://www.antarctic-press.com) forum and found a pretty good advice about doing one-shots:

The main points you should get across are what should be communicated in just about any story:
who your characters are
what their motivations are
how they relate to one another
the main point(s) of the plot

...Ideally, your story should be self-contained, but leave people wanting more.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was like that too. It's hard to think of the minute details way in advance. Did you read about Boa Hancock, how Oda had an idea for her and drew her months ahead for the Jump cover but when she actually appeared, the design changed a bit?
Yeah...

I think that Antartic-Press had a nice little summary there. It's like a one-shot itself. I want more advice.

I think this is sort of related: Anybody know where you can find a good one-shot to read? You know, to kind of get an idea of how they should be composed?

nisaren
01-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I think that almost any short story (4,000 words and under) could serve as a good reference for what would be a decent one shot concept. There's also a ton of one-shot comics on www.mangatraders.com if you still want to see one.

angel_dreamer13
01-27-2011, 05:35 PM
what's a one-shot. ._.

Rio
01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
A one-shot is comic book lingo for a one issue volume. It's all self-contained in that one volume, story-wise, but can also leave it open-ended if the one-shot is a hit and more volumes are requested by fans and the publisher. It's like those one chapter pitches that manga-ka creators sometimes have published in Jump and other tankobons. Btw, an issue is equivalent to about a chapter and are usually about 32 pages long.

@ Bacon
I'll try to find some other stuff I've found then! C:

angel_dreamer13
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
oh ok then :) I've always wondered about that. *is too lazy to google things*

Rio
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM
NP! I've got my lazy days too. xD

Bacon_Barbarian
01-27-2011, 07:58 PM
@ Bacon
I'll try to find some other stuff I've found then! C:
Oh-ho-ho! Anything you hve in mind?

Rio
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
There was one on publishing and converting from RGB to CMYK but I don't really think that pertains to this thread so I'm still looking around my saved files. C:

DrPumpkin
01-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Arrgh.

Why is it so hard to write comedy?

Does anyone know any good webcomic/manga writing advice sites?

Bacon_Barbarian
01-30-2011, 10:14 AM
... Well, there's the Manga Apps group on dA. And you know, Manga Tutorials.

butternut
01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Since I couldn't think of a good story in a short time, I'm adapting one of the stories my friend wrote into manga form. It's about a guy who eats hair.

Rio
01-30-2011, 01:16 PM
@ DrPumpkin
If you're thinking too hard in how to make a joke, then it's not funny. I would just go with the flow and think, "How would x character interact with y character in a funny way?" and just go from there.

@ saphira
A guy who eats hair? :O Call me intrigued!

butternut
01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah, its weird and all, but the point of the story, the emotions and all is extremely good. i wonder if i'll be able to do justice to it. maybe i should look for something else. If you want to read it : here (http://prateikprince.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/the-legend-of-eathair/)

Leoh
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
chotto matte kudasai.... so where do we upload it? oh, and will the whole participants be critizing the manga too? that would be really helpful.

Rio
01-31-2011, 11:04 PM
You can either post it online on sites like SmackJeeves, DeviantArt, Imageshack, or upload it in the Gallery (it would be best if you set it as an album). Or if you prefer, I can upload it and create the pages to read it. If you're going to send it to me though, please follow these guidelines:

1. send image files only (jpg, png, bmp, etc)
2. please send pages at the same height (width could be anything) in pixels; preferably at a reasonable and readable size
3. title each page in the following format: manga_title_c000_000.xxx (c = chapter and the number after is the page number)
It would be best if you zip them and send them to me, btw.

Bacon_Barbarian
02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
... Snow day today! Maybe I can get a page or two one. :)

Gedeon
02-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Uuuu.... i like it...i already have a project, but in reality it's an amature's job but i would love if i could get some opinions and help with the story...um by the end of february right. May i join in...?

Leoh
02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
where is the manga/one-shot gonna be posted?

angel_dreamer13
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
snow day tomorrow :)
if I haven't been kicked out of my house or locked in a room with my algebra textbook I should be able to get at least two pages done.

MiKuRu
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Man I wish it snowed here :/... Cuz atm I'm doing sort of like a blizzard snow scene and the problem is that I suck at it >_>... Maybe I could try fake snow.... hmmm..

Bacon_Barbarian
02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Man I wish it snowed here :/... Cuz atm I'm doing sort of like a blizzard snow scene and the problem is that I suck at it >_>... Maybe I could try fake snow.... hmmm..

Just erase all over the page in little streaks.

angel_dreamer13
02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
if it's a blizzard the way we have blizzards here, it'll just be a white page. :/
speaking of blizzards, we just had a big one. about 9 inches in less than 3 hours. I was getting ready to have a nice relaxing snow day when I remembered this thing. -_-'
so, yeah, aiming for 3 pages tomorrow. we'll see.

Rio
02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Uuuu.... i like it...i already have a project, but in reality it's an amature's job but i would love if i could get some opinions and help with the story...um by the end of february right. May i join in...?Sure! You can join! :adds to list:

where is the manga/one-shot gonna be posted? If you're going to post your comic online yourself, then you can just post here in this thread with a link your finished manga. If you are going to submit your work to me, I will be posting the link up and I will be hosting your manga pages as well.

Man I wish it snowed here :/... Cuz atm I'm doing sort of like a blizzard snow scene and the problem is that I suck at it >_>... Maybe I could try fake snow.... hmmm.. The internet is awesome:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jco/lowres/jcon506l.jpg
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/efi0025l.jpg

Also, if you've been reading One Piece, you should check out the chapters when they go to snow country at Drum Island.

Yara
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I need to go back and read the post, but maybe later. MaMo! Good name *thumbs up*
I changed the whole scenario and started drawing the sketches yesterday. That's why I'll be away of MT for some time ^_^

angel_dreamer13
02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
change of plans. I'm aiming for five pages today. :)
I have a lot more free time than I thought I'd have, so this might actually work.

Gedeon
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Im up to 14 pages( Of rough sketches) We can post it in the galery in an album right Rio-senpai? (I love speaking like this!!!)

Rio
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Ack! I feel like I'm being left behind! I'm still working on character designs because I'm not satisfied with all the designs I've come up with so far.... TT_TT Must work harder~!

@ Gedeon
Yes, you can post there.

angel_dreamer13
02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I got nothing done. TT_TT and I got locked in my room with the algebra textbook after all. sooooo much makeup work, agh...../dies
maybe tomorrow will go better. maybe.

Zoe
02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I realllllly need to start doing stuff if I want to finish in time... I keep on having snow days when I'm going to work on it and I can't focus at home. D:

Rio
02-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Yup! I'm the same, I procrastinate and leave everything at the last minute. I managed to get some stuff done today but they're not MaMo-related.... n_n; Whoops.

nisaren
02-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I haven't started drawing yet. I've been working more on the script itself. I'd rather get the story nailed down before I start drawing. It would be depressing to draw a bunch of panels only to have to cut half of them because I changed the story. D:

@rio Still haven't finished those character designs?

Matt
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I decided that a one-shot is beyond me, especially since I've procrastinated 2 days away already (although I was sick the first and really couldn't get myself to do anything). I did some character concepts for some 4-komas, but I'm starting to have second thoughts on my ideas. That and it takes awhile to get funny ideas.

^ Excuses.

Kay. I'll go do some Counter Strike parodies.

Bacon_Barbarian
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
2 snow-days, and I hve a panel and the cover finished. And I had the cover done a week ago. Gotta' get crackin'

Rio
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
@ nisaren
Yeah, I agree. I'd rather have the story down-pat before starting anything and that includes having good character designs, imo. And yes, I'm still working on character designs for the main character. I've drawn spikey haired, short cropped, bishoujo-type hairs and still nothing. I'm considering doing curly hairs next. 3_3

I've got all the characters' personalities down and basically what will happen in the story. I think I'll be fine deciding the pacing and layout of the story. What may be tough is deciding how much background detail to draw in the story... but I guess we'll see once I actually start.

@ Matt
lol If you don't feel like doing Counterstrike parodies anymore, maybe you should do Thumbelina in Space? ;D

@ Bacon
Wow, I'm really surprised at how much you've done already! I think you may be the first to actually get done!

Bacon_Barbarian
02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Hahahaha, unlikely. As stated, I've been ignoring peep's advice. I'm sketching pages one at a time.

angel_dreamer13
02-03-2011, 08:16 PM
another day passed with no progress T^T
I'm being really unproductive in general so far this year.
I have no idea why I'm posting another comment about me procrastinating.
gonna go work now.

Saith
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
So the tablet I ordered may arrive this weekend. If so, I'm joining in, bro.

Rio
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Cool! I'll add ya to the list. What tablet are you getting?

Saith
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Pfft god knows. I bought it off ebay for, like, a tenner. Then again I did the same with my last one, and it died pretty quickly, so um.
It says it's a Wacom Bamboo thingy though.

LVUER
02-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Wow... What kind of tablet do you ordered. Just curious...
Uugh, never mind, late to post this one, you already answered it...

Matt
02-05-2011, 03:04 PM
YES!! I finished ONE 4Koma strip, and it's been FIVE DAYS!

*Headdesk*

Granted, I didn't start working on it until yesterday and finished it yesterday as well. But it was fun. I'll do more when I get home.

Also, I'm a little torn on this: should I do my manga traditionally or digitally?

angel_dreamer13
02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I FINISHED....the cover.
ok, you can kill me now. *facepalm*

Yara
02-05-2011, 04:58 PM
eh'eh' D'X
I'm falling behind and this MT is more addictive than I thought! *sniff*

violin
02-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Eagerly waiting for someone to show something :o

Rio
02-05-2011, 11:53 PM
@ Saith
I hope it lasts longer for you this time around.

@ Matt
I will be doing the manga pages traditionally (pencil and ink) but I will be doing the balloons and text digitally. Which one are you most comfortable working with? Go for whatever you're faster with instead of clunking around something you're not used to.

@ angel_dreamer13
You've got manga pages to get done so you don't get the luxury to die just yet. ;D

@ Yara
Ah yes, the classic addiction - you'll have to do your pages and chat at the same time. I hope you're good at multitasking! :D

@ violin
Well, I'll post something up once I decide on a character design.... Hopefully I'll have something by tomorrow.

DrPumpkin
02-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Right, so I've given up on my idea and I'm back to square one with nothing.

Arrgh. February. Slow down. XD

butternut
02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Sorry Rio, I don't think i'll be able to complete it within a month. I just had a resetting of priorities and will be drawing less for the next few months till my finals get over. So i don't think i'll take part in any competition or anything now.

angel_dreamer13
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
@ angel_dreamer13
You've got manga pages to get done so you don't get the luxury to die just yet. ;D
GAAAAAHHHHHHHhhhhh....
should I post the cover? I can since it's finished but I'd have to find my camera. /is lazy

Rio
02-06-2011, 08:07 PM
@ angel
Sure, if you want! I'd like to see a teaser, personally. C:

@ saphira
Sure thing. Maybe next time.

@ DrPumpkin
Here's an idea: How about that Thumbelina space opera someone mentioned earlier?

[UPDATE]

Preview of the main character:

http://www.mangatutorials.net/img/rio/fiendesh_preview1.jpg

Saith
02-07-2011, 08:01 AM
I now have a tablet.
I'll try to do this, but damn I'm behind.

Matt
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Even if they're simplified, I wish I could do hands that well. The hands in mine are just circles:
https://s.deviantart.com/th/fs71/f/2011/036/7/d/golden_summer_strip_1_by_boriol-d38v42o.jpg

The IT people at school just installed a new blocking thing. So I had to change the link a little bit in order to get this posted. If it doesn't show up, that's the reason.

Rio
02-07-2011, 09:14 PM
@ Saith
No more behind than the rest of us! xD

@ Matt
Hands start with a circle as a base so you're doing fine so far. All you need to work on is adding the fingers. C:
That's a funny strip, btw. Is more to come?

Eeeerrrr, here's another preview:

http://www.mangatutorials.net/img/rio/fiendesh_preview2.jpg

I'll be working on the cover next... Btw, are you all doing black and white or is anyone doing anything in color?

violin
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Ooo nice. Images are starting to flow in :D
rio, Both characters looks nice, but why is the boy shoeless :)

Rio
02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
He's homeless and lives in a cardboard box. Plus, for now, he's more comfortable running around shoeless. C:

butternut
02-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Yayy! drawings!

@Rio they're so cute!

@Matt can't wait for more!

*does the cheerleader dance* err..i'm still a cheerleader right?

Rio
02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Yup, you're still a cheerleader saphira~! And thanks! <3

PWhit
02-09-2011, 05:35 AM
I'lll attempt to make a February deadline. Even though I only have a cover under process (probably shouldn't have even done it), count me in.

M3S1H
02-09-2011, 05:57 AM
A February deadline...I think I can do it. If everyone else is in, I guess I should be in too...So yeah, I guess I'm in this too.

Rio
02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
:adds to list: Sweeet! That makes 15 of us now. Good luck to everyone!! We have 20 days left.... :D

Gedeon
02-10-2011, 04:49 AM
YAY i got almost everything done.. only the final touches and the cover and im postin it in the album thingy!!! WOOHOO

Son44
02-10-2011, 05:37 AM
I can't meet the deadline DX I'll have to pass and join the next competition

MiKuRu
02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Damn 20 days left? I might not make it cuz atm I don't have a computer to work with again >_>.... My bro and sis took back their laptops so I'm left with nothing atm but I'll see what I can do.

Rio
02-10-2011, 01:59 PM
@ Gedeon
Wow! Maybe you'll be the first one out the gate. Can't wait to see it!

@ Son44
Awwwww~! Giving up so soon? I'm a bit behind as well but I hope to catch up...

@ MiKuRu
That's tough MiKuRu. Got a digital camera? Maybe you can just go back to good 'ol paper and pen and take a picture...

nisaren
02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I think the people quitting are missing the general idea of what these events are about. It's not about whether or not you can actually finish, it's about actually starting. If you manage to reach your goals and finish the project then awesome. The reason that most books don't get written, paintings painted, or music produced is because people always think that they can do it tomorrow. Just get up and do it, if you fall short at least you tried and you have something to show for it even if it is unfinished.

It doesn't have to be a masterpiece just as long as you are producing something. That's the philosophy that is drilled into the heads of people that do Nanowrimo. I think we should keep that in mind.

Why quit? Just do as much as you can and if life hits you over the head with other things then maybe you won't get done. But you sure as hell won't finish if you decide to just quit.

PWhit
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Take me off the list, I don't think I can finish the chapter on time.

MiKuRu
02-11-2011, 12:01 AM
@ Rio: Yea I'm already working on it =D. I'll scan it up when I get a few pages done :).

Leoh
02-11-2011, 01:05 PM
oh! i also got one more question, are we going to critique the comic art too? and say which like which ways can be improved? that would help ALOT! especially for those who really want to become a pro mangaka.
not like "you drew this wrong" more like "if you deleted this panel, that be more effecient". get the point?
it'll not also help us to meet up deadlines but to also improve as we draw them.

Gedeon
02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
oh! i also got one more question, are we going to critique the comic art too? and say which like which ways can be improved? that would help ALOT! especially for those who really want to become a pro mangaka.
not like "you drew this wrong" more like "if you deleted this panel, that be more effecient". get the point?
it'll not also help us to meet up deadlines but to also improve as we draw them.

I Agree with leoh!!

I think the people quitting are missing the general idea of what these events are about. It's not about whether or not you can actually finish, it's about actually starting. If you manage to reach your goals and finish the project then awesome. The reason that most books don't get written, paintings painted, or music produced is because people always think that they can do it tomorrow. Just get up and do it, if you fall short at least you tried and you have something to show for it even if it is unfinished.

It doesn't have to be a masterpiece just as long as you are producing something. That's the philosophy that is drilled into the heads of people that do Nanowrimo. I think we should keep that in mind.

Why quit? Just do as much as you can and if life hits you over the head with other things then maybe you won't get done. But you sure as hell won't finish if you decide to just quit.

....... ALL HAIL NISAREN!!!!!!!!! A WISE HUMAN!!!!!!!

Son44
02-12-2011, 07:42 AM

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd99/Sege44/Morsomt/Klapp.gif
YOU SIR. HAS JUST CONVINCED ME TO START WORKING AGAIN!!!

Rio
02-13-2011, 10:13 PM
@ Leoh
That's a very good idea! I wouldn't mind if that that happened.

@ nisaren
:sniff: Such inspiring words! I won't let you down~!

angel_dreamer13
02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I might let him down -_-
ok. I'm not quitting and I don't want to sound like a wimp, but I don't think I'm going to get very much done. I've got a lot going on in my life right now and I'm having a hard time even keeping up in school, so I'm not exactly able to spend time on this. I'm gonna keep trying but... my expectations are sinking lower by the minute... -_-
maybe I can at least finish a few pages though, and there's always next year. :(

Rio
02-13-2011, 10:33 PM
For me, the least I want to achieve is to have at the pencil work done and the text. Inking is just extra, imo and if I have time, I will ink the pages.

Try your best Angel~! Ganbatte~!

nisaren
02-14-2011, 12:32 AM
I find it ironic that the post directly after my little rant is someone announcing that they're quitting. At the possibility of being too cliche... you're not letting me down, you're letting yourself down by quitting.

MiKuRu
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
So ok just gonna do a update report here. So far I remade 2 pages. I haven't inked them yet but I will once I finish drawing out the character profiles which I'm working on now. Came up with some ideas on page 3 and page 4 remakes and atm I will still be using the old cover as the main cover[Thinking of changing it a bit]. So thats all from me atm.. Its not much cuz ma work is really eating up my time and family having a slight problem just recently so yea.... Will try to do more when I can. Will update again soon.

Gedeon
02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY COMPUTER WITH THE INKED (NOT FINISHED VERSION) CRASHED AND I LOST ALL DATA OF THE SCANED PAGES, anybody would think "not a big problem just scan it again" well when you have a lazy father and a scan shop where one losey piece of A4 format paper scaning costs 50 din( A loaf of bread costs 40 din) and you have at least 20 pages its a big problem!!! T_T i think il have to shorten the page numbers from twenty to fifteen!! T-T And god help me to finish this by the end of september!!!

Son44
02-16-2011, 04:26 AM
September?.... I haven't started.... DX DX I'll start once I get home...

Rio
02-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty much going to work on my manga this weekend. I've taken some days off too so hopefully I can knock off at least 28 4-panel comics by next Wednesday. ...And maybe 56 4-panel comics if I'm feeling ambitious and have the time. O_O!

Yara
02-17-2011, 12:27 AM
For me, the least I want to achieve is to have at the pencil work done and the text. Inking is just extra, imo and if I have time, I will ink the pages.

I was thinking of the same. This weekend I'll work on my manga mostly and may post something about it.

Reminder: 11 days left ^^

DrPumpkin
02-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Right. I'm aiming for the completed storyboards and character designs.

And I've got out of my writer's limbo and decided to to a story about Romans. In Rome.

Onwards, people! XD

Gedeon
02-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Ave Dr.Pumpkin morituri te salutant! (just had to write it)

nisaren
02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
@Rio & Yara My goal is also to get the panel layout done and most of the rough pencils. I've been spending most of my time on my script. It's always been my opinion that good artwork can make people Ooh and Aah, but a great story is what makes people remember and want to read more.

Another soapbox, motivational moment:

Look at the creator of the Schlock Mercenary webcomic (http://www.schlockmercenary.com). If you look at his first comics and compare to where he is now, it's pretty impressive. He's, of course, a professional webcomic artist now and has the luxury of doing it full-time. He's not an amazing artist, even after 10 years of drawing a daily comic, but he tells decent stories and has a good sense of humor. He's a great example of someone that has made it through persistence and perseverence. Which goes to show that working hard and keeping at it, is more important that just having "talent".

Hope everyone is enjoying MaMo so far. :)

P.S. A large part of Nanowrimo is the motivational messages that are sent by various people and professionals in the business. If anyone else has anything inspirational or motivational or just comedic about their experience thus far, it'd be nice to hear... at least I think it would be.

Matt
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Holycrap. I listen to the Writing Excuses podcast every week, and yet I've never read Schlock. Now I have. I like it. It's inspiring. Now I'm gonna go and actually finish my 4koma series.

Rio
02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Hope everyone is enjoying MaMo so far. :)Yup! I am. I'm really looking forward to what everyone has made. :D

Reminder: 11 days left ^^Don't say that Yara! Do you want to strike panic into everyone?!

O_O

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGG! ELEVEN DAYS LEFT!!! :runs around in panic:

LVUER
02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Though I'm not participating, I can't resist saying this...

"No, people, it's not 11 days LEFT. But it is STILL 11 more days." ^_^

Matt
02-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Here's my progress 18 days in. (http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/049/2/5/golden_summer_page_1_by_boriol-d39t6x7.jpg)

nisaren
02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
@Matt Nice, I used to listen to Writing Excuses on the weekly basis but I stopped listening of late. But I'm glad you were inspired by seeing Howard's strip. When I look at his very first Schlock strip, I just shake my head. I think pretty much anyone here could do better, but he wasn't stopped by his inability and just kept working.

So it turns out I have to go home for the weekend which means not much computer time for me. I plan on bringing my working script and finishing it though. So hopefully I'll be able to start on the actual pencils when I get back.

butternut
02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow, nice to hear people's progresses! Hope others can make it too... Go Go Go!
Yara & Nisaren, Can we have a trailer? ^^

Wish I could participate. I'll do it next year. Coz I won't be bothered by tests and assignment submissions like now! >.<

DrPumpkin
02-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Matt, how dare you. Leaving us people who haven't done anything like that. I'm ashamed. ASHAMED.

No, but seriously, I'm loving the work Matt.

What I've got so far.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/DrPumpkin1214/img018-1.jpg

Hmm. Hmmm. Hmnmnmnmn.

Son44
02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Matt, how dare you. Leaving us people who haven't done anything like that. I'm ashamed. ASHAMED.

No, but seriously, I'm loving the work Matt.

What I've got so far.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/DrPumpkin1214/img018-1.jpg

Hmm. Hmmm. Hmnmnmnmn.

I haven't started....

Gedeon
02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
WOOOOHHOOOOO!!!! i m waiting for my dad to scan all the pages so that i can clean em up! And while im waiting i figuerd why not do the front page! And here it is !!! So what say you!? Your opinions mean a lot! some of them are in the project that ill put up! umm could someone tell me did it post at all....http://i52.tinypic.com/2yxrvj4.jpg
Yay!!!!it posted! wooohoooo!

violin
02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Gedeon, is that it: http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2011/02/Gedeon-wooohoooo-front-page.jpg ?
It looks awsome :) Can't wait to see the pages.
I never knew scaning images could be so expensive. Can't you use the equipment at School or University if you're studing?

Gedeon
02-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Yeah it would make sennse but dont forget that im coming from a little undeveloped contry called serbia -_-". Here your happy if you get eight pcs for a chemistry highschool! And plus they dont let us use them execpt in class AND they don't even have scaners-_-!

Matt
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
@Gedeon - That's an epic shot. I wanna do something like that. For now, this is my progress. (http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/053/1/d/golden_summer_page_2_by_boriol-d3a4tcv.jpg)

MiKuRu
02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
waaaaaaaa I know that its almost time up and ugh I still haven't done much. With my busy schedule and all I only recently did some character sheets of the 2 main characters, side characters etcetc @@. And I haven't inked them yet >_> GWAD.... I'll throw down the character sheets by tomorrow on here[not inking them] and the 3 remade pages before Mamo dateline but still I'll keep my fingers crossed >_>.

@Geodeon: Epic cover x). I like it but it still needs some work but nevertheless, Awesome :)

@Matt: Your mini manga is looking good atm. The finger part made me laugh a bit x). -Runs off to draw more-

Son44
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Urgh DX I've totally forgot to work on the comic.... School - tests, homework and shit DX

Gedeon
02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
son44 dont you dare quit....please! I want to see as much manga of everyone that is here! i didnt see mkurus manga so far but i know that shes one hell of an artist from mob so im realy loking forward to her manga, matts manga is cute and funny and looks like its done by a fresh pro! Son44 fox-humans look amaizing (but i like the pilot human the best) and i can wait for him to finish it!Docs funny as hell and his teeser pics look great(it rains fish in rome lol) i didnt saw any of yaras art but she seems she has been here for some time and is well experienced, SO PLEASE EVERYBODY DO IT FOR THE MY, AND FOR JOY OF ALL ON MT WHOLL WATCH AND PRAISE YOU FOR YOUR WORK; DOESNT MATER IF ITS HALF-FINISHED , OR JUST A FEW PAGES ITS an ART DONE BY ONE OF THEM BUT PUT INTO SOMETHING THEY ALL LOVE... MANGA COMICS!!!!!!

Rio
02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Ooo, that's an epic cover Gedeon! And Matt, I'm totally loving all your pages so far - keep it up!

I'm personally down to the wire. I've finished making my own manga paper (had to cut down paper, measure the lines, and ink them) so now all that's left is for me to actually draw everything... and scan them of course. Good luck everyone! C:

Yara
02-27-2011, 01:43 AM
MaMo Countdown (http://www.7is7.com/otto/countdown.html?year=2011&month=2&date=28&hrs=6&ts=24&tz=local&min=37&sec=00&lang=en&show=dhms&mode=t&cdir=down&bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&fgcolor=%233366FF&title=MaMo%20Countdown)

Gedeon
02-27-2011, 07:52 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH YARA DONT DO THAT!!!! IT BUILDS UP PRESURE! ITs LIKE A BOMB OR SOMETHING!!!
So we must post it by tomorow right?

violin
02-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Something tells me most poeple are not finished yet :)

angel_dreamer13
02-27-2011, 07:23 PM
does saying 'i tried' make it any better? T-T

Rio
02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
I guess it would be best if there was actually something finished... Even it's one page. <_<
For me, I'll probably post everything on March 1st.

PWhit
02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Uh yeah... I made my title-less cover. It's on my critique thread and tbh, it aint that great. =|

Leoh
02-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Haha, i believe so

Leoh
02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
@rio
we can do that?

Leoh
02-27-2011, 10:27 PM
alright, i'll put everything up on dA
http://21leoh.deviantart.com/

Zoe
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm a failure and got almost nothing done. ;-;

Gedeon
03-01-2011, 04:17 PM
HEy guy hey guys I ACTUALY FINISHED IT!!!! I DID IT!!!!! YAYAYAYY!!!!! of corse its cra*y and it isnt scanned and i intended to do 2x the pages and all but i ACTUALY FINISHED SOMETHING!!! GOOD OR BAD(probably realy bad...) WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!! Pls go see it and tell me what you think!http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?503-The-manga-contest-thing%28take-a-look...you-know-you-want-to%29...that-is-late..and-cr*py&p=12189#post12189 (http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?503-The-manga-contest-thing&#37;28take-a-look...you-know-you-want-to%29...that-is-late..and-cr*py&p=12189#post12189)

Rio
03-01-2011, 07:50 PM
@ Leoh and Gedeon
Nice! Way to go you guys! I'll leave comments after I read through them.

As for everyone else, yeah, post it up when you can. I actually timed this whole thing a bit off so I won't actually post anything yet. C:

violin
03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Thumbs up for Gedeon. He's the first one to finish it and on time :)

Yara
03-01-2011, 09:05 PM
AHHHH GED! mine is just 3 pages =$
Yours looks awesome 8D I'll read it during the weekend hehe =)

Back to mine:
- Manga name: MT Addiction
- What happened on Friday inspired me to draw this meme manga.
- I'll keep the MT manga for a later time (when I get a tablet) ~_~
- Didn't make a cover page to save paper and, consequently, save trees from being cut <-- ok ok, I admit I was lazy to make a cover page >_<

Enjoy! ^_^
http://trader01.deviantart.com/#/d3app4q : page 1
http://trader01.deviantart.com/art/Mamo-p2-199394020?q=gallery%3Atrader01&qo=1 : page 2
http://trader01.deviantart.com/art/MaMo-p3-199394720?q=gallery%3Atrader01&qo=0 : page 3

Leoh
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
@ rio
me too....

Son44
03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
I didn't do anything DX I WILL POST SOMETHING NEXT TIME!

M3S1H
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm so confused :p. At first I started up chapter 1 of probably the best manga idea I ever had, but I couldn't get past the "name" of the first chapter for two reasons:
1) About mid-way through, two of my friends (I created 2 separate mangas and on the two separate ones they're my editors) urged me to do two different mangas. So I ended up doing some pretty crappy manga "names" for each, so I was overworked.
2) I recently won an education case, and when I went back into school, I had A LOT to catch up on, so that flipped me off.

But I shall make no excuses this month! Rest assured, I'll do a 45-page completed first chapter of a glorious manga! ...I sincerely hope there will be no interferences, if so, I will destroy anything that tears manga and I apart! (...I had a minute, so I felt like typing a semi-long post :))

nisaren
03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Sadly, I never really managed to actually pull through and get any artwork done. I do, however, have a pretty sweet script that is (mostly) done.

I was thinking though, why don't we try and make this a monthly challenge? Anyone that manages to finish their manga in under a month gets put on the "Winner's List". Maybe Rio could give the monthly winners a little publicity and publish their pieces (with their permission) on the main site somewhere.

I was also thinking that it would be great if there was some way that we could capture a step by step for each "winner" as well. For example, show the script, then the name or character sheets etc., rough pencils, inked, and then the finished version. Obviously, it wouldn't be necessary, but I find it helpful to see other people's workflows and having a bunch of examples could help to demystify the creation process for newcomers. Just a thought.

Rio
03-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't know about pushing a monthly contest. Maybe bi-monthly would work just to give folks a break in between to get their creativity going and getting everything in order. As for your last suggestion, I was actually considering doing a step-by-step tutorial of my progress into the whole thing. I just have to take some pictures and put everything together....

Will you be doing anything with that "pretty sweet script" like letting us read it? :D

Leoh
03-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow....i didnt knew i could do 10 pages per week....(i rushed when there was 2 weeks left...haha...)
but i bet that if i kept up with that rate,then i would've been able to complete the short story...
my manga isnt fisished and was left were it was getting to good part...
oh well, some pages are completed while some are inked (with a few parts that needed to be filled in black) while others were just rough drafts ready to be inked....

21Leoh.deviantart.com

Leoh
03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
@ nirasen
for you, i would recommend you reading "making comics" by Scott McCloud.He clears up the mysterious magic that plays behind the panels of comics! I read his book and made methink about how i set up my panels better as well as the ballons and stuff. It explains the techniques rather than saying "you do this and that and this and then make this thing...." kind of steps which is quite useless....

I agree with Nisaren because its better off having it as a challenge and just making the due date longer wont help us. Besides its the first time for everyone in here and as time progresses, they will be able to disipline themselves too.

nisaren
03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
@Rio if you think it's too much hassle to set up and just want to do a Bi-monthly thing that would work too. I was just thinking of it as a standing challenge to anyone that wishes to push themselves. It's not a big deal if there are months where no one succeeds. I wouldn't worry about people cheating or not, as they're only hurting themselves.

If you would like I can post my script, although it's been getting fairly long. I was planning on posting it along with progress pictures after I finished the whole manga. But if you'd like me to post it before I suppose that would be fine.

@Leoh He sounds really familiar, does he have a website that is geared towards teaching web comic techniques? I have read through a bit of stuff written on the topic of creating comics, writing stories, etc., but I was more suggesting this for the newbies that come here. I feel like I've found most of the answers that I wanted doing research over the past year or so and in looking back I was thinking it would be helpful to see how various people approach the process. I still think it's useful since I can refine my own processes.

Leoh
03-06-2011, 08:31 PM
@nisaren
he has a journal site kind of thing, here is his site: http://scottmccloud.com/
the book i was talking bout and recommend reading http://www.scottmccloud.com/2-print/3-mc/index.html
he's a professional comic artist

ClockHand
03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Am I late for this contest?

DrPumpkin
03-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Uh-huh.

Rio
03-08-2011, 10:58 AM
lol Very late but we're discussing making it into a more frequent event like monthly or bi-monthly.

Son44
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Rio: monthly or bi-monthly would work fine for me and for a lot of other people. If school throws something at us, we can delay it til the next month or somethig

Gedeon
03-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I AGREE With the bi monthly! For starters everyone will at least do something for two months, and if not then it will make them organaise better if they realy care about this contest.

Leoh
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
i guess i can agree.... :(
my school did got a bit tough lately with all the projects i have to do and most i havent been sleeping well either this past week (last night i stayed up to 2 am!!! D:<) and it might go well with my partner i just got recently by giving her more time to think about the story....

nisaren
03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Hmm... up to you guys what you want to do. I still think having it as a standing monthly challenge would be fine. But if it would mean that it's too much of a burden for Rio to do it monthly, then bi-monthly is what it must be. You don't *have* to do it. It's just there for people that want to push themselves. Plus a 30-page chapter is what a lot of manga artists do each month, so for those that actually want to become one trying to match this pace is probably worth attempting. Just my 2 cents.

Leoh
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
DARN IT!
i can see both sides and dont know which to support....ugh....i'll just stay neutral....

Rio
03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Well, it's not that much for me to organize every month. I don't think I'll personally be able to do a manga every month but hey, that's why there is an option for folks to join when they can. How's this:

- We keep MaMo as a yearly challenge but
- We also hold a monthly manga challenge for those who want to pursue this. People can choose to join monthly or join bi-monthly or whenever they can.

If everyone's cool with that, I'll set up the Monthly Manga Challenge thread later today or tomorrow.

Leoh
03-10-2011, 01:19 PM
@Rio
yeah, thats cool

Gedeon
03-10-2011, 05:16 PM
RIGHT ON!!!!! ....can't belive i just said that......

LVUER
03-10-2011, 08:31 PM
But if the challenge is held to often, isn't it will lose some of its impact? NaNoRenO is only held once a years, so lots of people want to participate in it when it comes. But if it's held every once every month of two month, people could say "oh, I can't this time, I'll definitely participate next month (and repeat)"

nisaren
03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Maybe we should up the ante for MaMo then if it's only being held once a year. I'm not exactly sure what would be reasonable though.

Honestly, if you look they hold other write-a-book-in-a-month challenges at other various times of the year. The big one that most people do is held in November and known as Nanowrimo, but I know of several others. So the monthly challenges would just be like smaller, less advertised versions of MaMo.

Rio
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe we should do a rolling manga type event. The one where one person does one page, the next person does another, and it pretty much cycles through the participants. This way, the workload isn't so bad (only one manga page per person), the story can take some surprising directions and be pretty much dynamic, and people can get practice at the same time.

It'll be different enough from MaMo so that it doesn't take away from each other and it'll give participants time to "rest" in between pages.

nisaren
03-14-2011, 11:44 AM
That sounds like it could be really cool. It would be even better if you have a script or something to work off of so the story doesn't get sidetracked. Maybe we could have people submit scripts and then have everyone vote on which they like the best and then try to do the rolling manga from that.

Rio
03-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Maybe we could ask someone from the Writing section? Or maybe we'll just as in the Recruit forum.... I'll go post there now.

LVUER
03-14-2011, 08:27 PM
That's a nice idea ^_^ It's fun to see how people's different style try to draw same character.

Matt
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Definitely. I wasn't positive what the idea was about at first, but I understand it now. Should be fun.

Leoh
03-15-2011, 06:24 PM
okay,but it better be good enough to grab my attention...

Rio
03-16-2011, 09:45 PM
What exactly are you looking for Leoh? We can probably start several, each with different genre's and so on, so there's something for everyone.

Leoh
03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
@Rio
i'll just stick around only if its interesting....
last time i did this kind of thing, well it didnt work very well...especially since i started loosing interest in the story (many artist working on the same comic, like a colloboration of many artist but each were assigned a page,plus, the characters were taken from many other manga works)
Besides, the only thing i was looking foward in this forum was the monthly manga challenge because i'm serious about becoming a professional comic artist.

nisaren
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't see why there can't be both things. I don't really understand the hang up with having a standing challenge for people that wish to do a "manga in a month". Just like everything on this site, it would be completely optional. Maybe it would be more logical to have a subforum for people to post their MaMos. Or people could just post in the Manga Works forum but I'm not sure if that would be the right place for it. Maybe make it a post title convention like all Mamo progress threads are listed as: [MaMo] "Manga Title" - Author. In the thread, they can post progress reports and such and then post the finished product at the end of the month.

I still think doing a rolling manga would be pretty cool for those that don't want to do the challenge. The only problem that I can foresee with the rolling manga is getting people to submit their pages in the correct order and within a reasonable amount of time. I'm not sure what Rio had in mind for the actual logistics, but maybe there should be a point man to whom everyone submits their pages. At the end of the month, they can post all the pages in the correct order for everyone to see.

Whether it is "officially sanctioned" or not, you should still be able to take it upon yourself to try to do the MaMo challenge. Maybe everyone else here won't be participating alongside you, but you don't need our approval to make a manga. I just thought it would be neat to recognize people that take it upon themselves to complete the challenge.

Leoh
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Yeah, thats pretty much what i've decided to do and I am already doing it. thing is is that i am already teamed up with a partner for that and i'm doing one shots each month (so thats like working on two mangas at the same time). I dont really like to be in one manga where there will be alot of collaborators because it wont bring the manga to its full potential.

though, to bring it to its full potential, i think it'd be a good idea to have one person to make the Whole storyboard (meaning to plan out the panels), and THEN assing the pages to the artists. The story boards arent supposed to be all fancy but just a rough sketch with a few notes on the sides for clarafication.

once i'm done with the 2nd one shot (meaning all inked and finished), i'll post the storyboard so that you guys can compare to the finished product and get the idea of what i'm saying.

Phiya
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I think I'll join.