PDA

View Full Version : Rubisko's Sketchbook

Rubisko
07-16-2012, 06:30 AM
So I've finally decided to get off my butt and actually starting to post stuff of my own here so that I can get better too. To begin with it will just be scans of pencil drawings, because I still haven't gotten my replacement stylus (the old one broke. Snapped into two bits actually)

You'll probably not believe me since I've just said that my stylus snapped in two bits above, but I'm very light-handed when I draw, so I had to do some digital tweaking with the scans to make the lines visible. But I didn't care/know enough to make them clean and neat so don't expect anything beautiful, ok.

Alright, let's start this thing off

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_001.png
I draw a lot of ratmen, I didn't write that tutorial here on the site that concerns ratmen though :)

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_002.png
Random Cartoony werewolf

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_003.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_004.png
I've just discovered that they're planning to make movies of the Hyperion Cantos. It's one of my absolute favorite book so I feel the need to draw and paint my version of everything in them before the first movie hits us.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_005.png
I kinda liked this page, no idea what it is though, late night scribbles.

Any CnC welcome. Really, you can even say "hey, that piece is just boring" or "that one's cool". If you can tell me why you thought so you are even more helpful to me, but actually even just saying if you liked something or not is more helpful to me than if you don't say anything.

Over to you guys

Gaff
07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I really like the creature design in that fourth image. The hands strike me as a little too elongated for the rest of it, but I'm guessing that might be intentional. The wings are impressive anyway, they look very organic.

WhenRabbitsAttack
07-17-2012, 01:26 AM
the girl in the 3rd image (the 3/4 piece) has an odd face. all the componenets are well-drawn, but they're to low down on her face. if you could digitally tweak, i'd say move all her features up slightly, brcuase at the moment sh has a very short chin and a high forehead.

i really like the last one, it has such a nice flow :D

Rubisko
07-17-2012, 04:29 AM
@Gaff: I'm really glad you like the wings, they were my main concern. And thank you for bringing my attention to the hands, they were meant to be very spidery, but now I see that they maybe are just too much considering that they aren't anything special in terms of design. I'll have to consider that in sketches to come.

@Rabbits: Oh yes, you're right. I really need to check my stuff upside down and in the mirror when I sketch traditionally I guess. Digital drawing really spoils you in that regard :) Now I notice that mouth and nose isn't even in the same grid as the head. Thank you and I'm happy that you like the last thingy, I really like it too for some strange reason.

Shadowsfade
07-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Wow cool stuff - I really like the werewolf and the alien thing - and good idea to draw your versions before the film! Coz once you see the film you can never quite remember how you pictured them before..

I also really like the last one, it's kinda abstract enough that you can make your own mind about what's going on, but solid enough you can see things, like the arm/hand. Dont really have much to critique on! The woman's face in the helmet looking up, the furthest edge of the face, the shape doesnt seem 100% right to me, but I can't quite put my finger on what. It might just be the protusions of the helmet messes with my eyes or something! Great work though.

toast
07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Very awesome character designs, dude. The especially love how super detailed the second to last one is :D

Great stuff tho, looking forward to more

Rubisko
07-20-2012, 05:04 AM
@Shadowsfade: Haha, I think you are spot on on both things on the helmet-person. I wanted the protrusion to show, so I scaled off some off the cheekbone. A bad decision, I guess I should just have redrawn it, but I wasn't happy with the helmet anyway so I didn't. I promise to not cheat with the planes of the face in the future though, and I'm happy that you like my creatures :)

@Toast: Thanks! More will come. Like now

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_006.png
This is more stuff from the Hyperion Cantos, a lightly armored jumpsuit used by the Pax. Pretty much the latter half of the cantos concerns a few Pax soldiers who are gathered into a small task group that is supposed to capture a young girl for the Inquisition. I figured they had to be armored lightly and comfortably.
Edit: A friend called on my door and wanted me to go out and run so I just finished the post after a sentence, I'll continue now:
So I found out that markers didn't work that well when the area to mark is so large relative to the tip of the marker. Crits and comments are very welcome, and just as before; everything and anything goes, you have my thanks for every little bit you can help me :)

Shadowsfade
07-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Ahh i know what you mean about pens, that's why i don't tend to use them! However, in most places in this drawing it kinda works, as it looks like it's giving a texture to the armour haha. Umm I dont really have much to critique... I think (our) right shoulder is a little too slanted to work, as it doesn't look like he has a proper shoulder

Rubisko
07-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Dang, you're right. Lol, I spent like half an hour adjusting the perspective on the details of helmet, neck and symbols over and over again and then I goofed off on the shoulders. Thank you for taking time to look at it :)

Shadowsfade
07-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Hah, no worries, we all do it! Your work paid off, the perspective is good, especially on the other shoulder

inferno
07-22-2012, 04:36 AM
Pretty cool stuff. The alien and rat men look great.

Rubisko
07-23-2012, 02:10 AM
@Shadowsfade: I'm glad you think so :)
@Inferno: Thank you , and I'm happy to finally see some love for the ratmen :3 I hope you'll get to upload some of your stuff soon by the way, let me know when you do

I've never been able to keep any previous incarnation of a sketchbook alive for very long, so this time I'll try to make updates Monday every week at a minimum. I haven't been as creative this week as I were the last, so I threw in a sketch from life to thicken it out a bit. Not very exciting for you I know, but you guys have been an amazing help to me the last week and so I'm confident that you can help me spotting obvious errors in that piece too

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_07.png
Let's get the boring stuff done first. The problem with those is that I can't get any proper critique. As long as they are close enough to the subject matter people think it's good enough, and even when they see the subject matter from the same angle I drew it, with the sketch in hand they can't spot errors (because they can't draw themselves). If you see something, like angles that doesn't seem to match up, or if you know a better way to present stuff like this for critique, please let we know

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_08.png
The creepy dude in the corner was a mistake, I was doing sketches for the heavy pax armor I mentioned I would do, but instead I ended up with him. I kinda like him though, but I don't know who he is or what he do. Any ideas? The corvette is drawn from a photo I took a couple of weeks back.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_09.png
This is the heavy pax suit I finally decided to go with. The idea is that, in the books the church sends its troops to destroy the ousters. They target ouster birthing chambers located in hollowed out asteroids, so they need to have some way to propel themselves, they need to be able to hold on to stuff (every little explosion could blast them off in space), and finally they need a lot of firepower. The weight of armor and gun doesn't matter in zero-g though, that's handy I guess.

As before, all critique and comments are welcome. I've said it above already but it's really true; you've been a big help to me the last week, and I really hope it shows in this week's drawings. Thank you for taking time to look and comment <3

JJJorgie
07-23-2012, 02:50 AM
First off, these are all awesome! With the spray bottle, the nosel/head of the bottle is at a different angle than the body. That's probably just the way the reference is lined up, but since there's no reference on here, it looks a little odd.

With the corvet, it seems like you'd be able to see the tops of the seats through the windshield.

Other than those small things, wonderful job! Keep up the amazing work! I hope I helped!

Demonfyre
07-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Those are so incredibly awesome Rubisko :D i think the last one is my favourite :P all I noticed was that the head of the spray bottle is at a weird angle I think, I look forward to more on Monday :)

Shadowsfade
07-24-2012, 07:34 AM
I thought the same about the head at first - but those kinds of bottles you can normally twist the top to different angles, so I'm guessing that's how it was in the ref? However, with the left side, the top of the curve of the bottle seems wider than at the bottom - though again, as no ref, either this may be the case, or it may be due to the sides sloping differently, as these bottles can have strange designs sometimes!

As for both the suit designs, I think they both look awesome. On the last one though, (our) left thigh seems to be really short in comparison to the shin and the other leg.

Rubisko
07-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Yup to all of you, I turned the nozzle to a different angle before I started to draw it, I thought that it would make for a more interesting challenge. I can't decide if it's good or not that you all spotted it though, but I guess I can only get better with practice anyway, so nevermind.

@JJ: Of course you helped :) I'm glad that you posted, and thank you so much for the "amazing" part
@Demonfyre: Thank you, yeah I thought that the last one had the most substance of the last post too. Update Mondays is my minimum, I'll update whenever I have something that needs fresh eyes though.
@Shadowsfade: The thigh is supposed to be a bit foreshortened, but I don't think it quite adds up now that you pointed it out. I should probably not have hidden the boot behind the other either, that adds to the problem I think. Thanks :)

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_12.png
Frogman, I guess. I'm starting to miss painting. At first I was tempted to put javelins or spears on his back, but in the end I thought that flutes were a better choice, because then he can play music. What do you think, would it have been cooler with a warrior frog. Should I have drawn it playing music? Should I draw a complete Frogman band? I think yes on the last one

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1207_11.png
I can't draw people, every time I try they turn in to monsters when I lose concentration. I guess that's what they call "bad people skills". So, dumdumdum, astrologers have proclaimed the Week of People, growth of People increased.
Thank you for all your help and support so far, you're all great!

Gedeon
07-25-2012, 06:21 PM
They may turn into monsters but DAMN do they look good. No crits from me man.

Demonfyre
07-25-2012, 07:17 PM
No critiques from me, they both look incredible :D I love the way you used the rhythm technique on the second sketch and the fact he is wearing a sophisticated bowler hat :)

Shadowsfade
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
I agree with ged, I really like that man! nice hands / nose. That frog is totally awesome and YES YES you should draw a frog band xD

I see what you mean about the foreshortening. Perhaps by changing the position of the knee it would put it across more? Atm it's pointing outwards, so the leg is kinda turned to the side, so the leg can't be pushed too far forwards to give such dramatic foreshortening (i think)

Rubisko
07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks you guys!

@Shadowsfade: Yeah, it's completely wonky :P Tnak you for the observations

So it's Monday once again, and I don't really have anything fun to show you this time either. Last week was people week, so I drew a lot of people, and I read a lot about drawing people. All that new knowledge kinda put me on an art block, so I had a hard time drawing anything else but people.
Progress shot:
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/P7302232.png
(You really don't have to critique those, in fact I don't want you to, I'm just trying to convince myself that I did good last week ;) )

Oh yeah, just this afternoon I started to sketch ideas for the frog-band thingy. I've decided to make a nice painting of it now that I have a stylus again, so if you have input on my ideas before I start to paint it all nice I'd be grateful
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/Frogband.png

See ya

Shadowsfade
07-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Wow, you have awesome people drawing skills!! The frog band is looking great too, not anything i can see to comment on (:

Rubisko
08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Thank you Shadowsfade :)

I've decided to re-write an examination in discrete maths later this week, and so I have spent the last couple of weeks preparing and kind of missed out on my promise to myself of weekly updates here. So I've got some math doodles to show you, feel free to leave any kind of comments or critiques you want, I highly appreciate it as always =)

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1208_03.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1208_01.png
(This is not usually how you put the tail on a creature, but yeah...pen )
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1208_04.png

See you all again at the end of the week

Cloudy
08-13-2012, 08:27 AM
your sketches are amazing man

Demonfyre
08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
My god, they are all so awesome :O I love the last one, with an alien looking creature pointing towards what looks like university grade maths xD

Prince of Angels
08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Oooo. Alien Creatures. :D Really nice, Rubisko! :D

toast
08-15-2012, 04:45 PM
oh god I love your school doodles. They're inspiring me to try and doodle as much as possible once the school year starts. Oh man I'm so excited

You are brilliant at coming up with monster designs and aliens though, man.

N_Top
08-15-2012, 06:49 PM
ermahgerd, is that legion? Or just geth inspired? Your sketches are awesome man.

Rubisko
08-21-2012, 01:48 PM
@Cloudy, Demonfyre and Prince of Angels: Thank you :) I don't know what to say, it's so overwhelmingly positive feedback.
@Toast: Thanks girl, I take pride in being a bad example. Incidentally it seems that a lot of people really enjoy sketches a lot more if they are complemented by maths. It seems that one of my most appreciated artistic pieces so far is my notes from Mechanics I. I always drew out everything in 3d because it helped me a lot, and people just loved looking through my notes. Maybe it's a cool thing to do for presentation of concept art and stuff.
@N_Top: Very much geth inspired at the least. Well, as far as I see it plainly is a geth. They were the coolest creatures in ME in my opinion. And thank you =D

I've had trouble drawing since last week, a lot of things are clogging up my brain. But I've drawn some food at least
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/20120821_Roding.png

Actually it also feels like all the stuff I've drawn over the last few weeks are very similar; just a lot of monsters and I really don't want to end up being able to draw nothing else. So what should I try to focus on instead? Maybe environments, so I can brush up my painting skills as well, what do you think?

toast
08-21-2012, 06:02 PM
very nice, I love the mixture of lineart and watercolours =D might I ask what type of paper/sketchbook you're using?

@Toast: Thanks girl, I take pride in being a bad example. Incidentally it seems that a lot of people really enjoy sketches a lot more if they are complemented by maths. It seems that one of my most appreciated artistic pieces so far is my notes from Mechanics I. I always drew out everything in 3d because it helped me a lot, and people just loved looking through my notes. Maybe it's a cool thing to do for presentation of concept art and stuff.

yeah, the math makes it seem even more futuristic and kewl, idunno

ScarletHue
08-22-2012, 06:34 AM
I love the food sketch. What did you use to colour it?

Rubisko
08-22-2012, 08:15 AM
@Toast: Thank you =) I used some very thick paper with smooth texture. I don't know what it's called, or even where I got it from, it has been hidden away among my art supplies for quite some time I suspect.

@Scarlet: Derwent Inktense, watersoluble ink pencils. They are quite neat, they can be used in many different ways. I used to use them a lot for thumbnails for poster layouts, but they seems to be even better for this kind of stuff.

Rubisko
08-30-2012, 03:01 PM
So I just found out it's Thursday, and I haven't done my Monday update yet.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/P8302331.png
I don't usually use blocky stuff very much when I draw, so I figured I try it out. For some reason it gives of the vibe of action cartoons from when I was a kid, so I had to slap on some cartoony colour in photoshop. Other than that, it's just pen and marker. Comments and critique is as always very welcome

Demonfyre
08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Yaaaay new Rubisko art :D this looks so awesome, im awe struck again xD reminding me of the really old transformers animations that got broadcased in the UK like a decade and a half ago :3 out of interest, is that a human skull and fleshy upper arms I see? :P

I think there is something odd looking about the leg and foot closest to us, i'm not sure what it is, probably my imagination but I get that feeling that there is something weird going on there :/

JJJorgie
08-30-2012, 06:09 PM
I think there is something odd looking about the leg closest to us, i'm really not sure what it is at all, probably my imagination but I get that feeling that there is something there :/

The foot's straight forward while the leg's angled 3/4 view. It does look a little bit odd. Also, I think the back foot being at a profile view is always a little weird looking. Other than that, it looks awesome! Great job!

AlmanacnamedTime
09-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey man, this looks great.

Rubisko
09-03-2012, 03:56 PM
JJorgie and Demon: Yeah, it does look weird. I have thought and tried some stuff out, and I believe the problem lies with the light value on the foot armor, since it's supposed to be positioned below the leg it should of course have a cast shadow on it. I considered your solution JJ, but I think that angling the foot inwards would throw the whole character off balance. I didn't upload a new version, but if you want to try my solution, feel free to just save down my sketch and open it in image edit of choice.

Almanac: thanx a lot dude :)

I've been unproductive, or rather not very creative, lately and so I've been playing with the drawing script, because I believe the best way to tackle drawing blocks is to battle through them.

First one, figure drawing so there's nudity and everything else we love about life. I'll put it in spoiler tags for the ones who have never seen a naked body before though
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/Figuredrawing_120827.png

Heads
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/Karakityrer_120903.png
At first I thought the girl in the upper right corner were a failure, she looked way too androgynous, but when I were done with all of the heads I found that it fitted extremely well with the girl biting at her own tongue. It's like some alternative version of Red Riding Hood.

This last one is made from a sketch I did years back. I don't have too much time to work on it right now, which may be as well; I don't really know where too take it from here. Any input appreciated
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/CrazyBunny_1.png

And as always I love to get comments and critique, you're all golden for helping me so much up too this point =) <3

AlmanacnamedTime
09-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Pic 1: Good job on the figures.
Pic 2: That's a huge neck. Is the girl in the right hand corner a vampire?
Pic 3: Awesome.

Sunny
09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
I like the motion of your robot..mecha...thing. I'm sorry if you labeled it up there, but anyway...

The one thing that really strikes me is how he is leaning. I feel like the bearing weight leg should be a little stronger, and the body is tipped a little bit so that he looks somewhat unbalanced. Either that or the one front leg should be angled a little bit closer or something.

I like the colors. I think it's dynamic. I'm too tired to say anything else. Good job.

Rubisko
09-06-2012, 02:24 PM
@Al: thanks, and I don't know but she does have nice fangs
@Sunny: Thanks, now I finally see why it feels wrong. I've kinda been beating myself over why it feels wrong, and I thought at first that it was the sloppy job on aligning stuff to perspective, and in the end it kind of is isn't it. The shoulders follow the same perspective as the abdomen, that's why the upper body feels like it's a falling fir. =D

Demonfyre
09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I've already told you my thoughts but I just want to exclaim how awesome the one at the bottom is :3

Also on the portrait, the woman looking straight at us, I think her lips are slightly too big and are at an odd angle, her neck is also pretty long :o

Rubisko
09-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks Demon =)

I've drawn some stuff with paper and pencil again. I drew all but the last one in the car, and I can't find my eraser so there are some road-bumps in the lines. But anyway; cool or not?
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1209_004.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1209_005.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1209_1.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1209_003.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1209_002.png

Thank you for looking =D

JJJorgie
09-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Haha, cool or not? This look awesome! I really like the first one! Also, the hair-like part of the third picture is just wonderful!

Demonfyre
09-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Those surpass cool Rubisko xD they are all in a category of their own :D I love the way you can keep the lines so straight even without a rulers aid :)

Shadowsfade
09-16-2012, 04:09 PM
agreed with everything said :D i love how you manage to get expressions in machines too!

Rubisko
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you <3
If you have time, could you please try to tell me why you prefer some over others, that would really help me come up with cooler stuff in the future =)

Demonfyre
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
I think the robot Cyclops look pretty cool with the fact that they look emotionless and threatening, in your project if it involves a military theme or some sketches involving a defence system then they would be pretty good to use in my opinion :) but the way you put the runes on the bottom ones also made them look, high up and mighty at the same time, could combine that face with robes and get some royalty or something along those lines maybe?

But I also thought the female robot holding a mask was a good idea, you could have them wearing masks to make them appear more humanoid and relatable which could give the sense of society or something like that?

Sorry if that either doesn't make sense, isn't what you are looking for or is complete rubbish, those were just my incoherent thoughts which were hard to put it into words :L

Rubisko
09-17-2012, 01:51 PM
It makes perfect sense. It's almost the same as I had planned, and that's cool. I want a third variation too, but I haven't quite figured that one out yet

Shadowsfade
09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
i like how they look human-like, but so obviously machine-y, like normally with roboty things they're either completely syntheticly identical to humans you cant tell the difference, or completely machine like, i like how this is a mix - like even though the faces are sharp and box like, they still have a human feature,and like the shape of the body of the female character. i agree with demon on all the cool markings and things too

as for a third variation its a bit tricky to think of another.. i mean first thoughts is just the 'ordinary' citizens, though that may be a bit difficult to portray.. maybe you could do something unique like elderly robots or something? or have like a unique branch of the military like an all female / all male section, or like something that sets them apart from the others, like ninjas or whatever (im not saying have ninja robots, im just using as an example of making something about them that sets them apart, like an elite fighting force that are used for special missions or w/e :P)

Demonfyre
09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Oh i'm glad I made sense xD

Continuing with the theme of society; you have a military force, a high tier sector which could be nobles and leaders etc and your third society could be a low sector which could be made of decaying and rusted robots dismissed as they are older models or just aren't required, or maybe to give them even more distinguishable human traits such as being poor, being afflicted/injured or just different variety compared with the other dominant models (probably occupying the higher tiered sector)?

Shadowsfade
09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
seems like me and demon had similar thoughts at the exact same time ;) haha

BunnyVoid
09-21-2012, 01:47 AM
hmm interesting.
do you happen to be interested in technical design courses like architecture or industrial design? your attention to detail is commendable, especially in the part of the (assumed) female bot. its nice to see someone envisioning all this in 2d sketches. Usually i meet people who would go directly to 3d applications and work from there... maybe that's a good path for you... although it will take some time to learn, but with your display of technical skills i say that you can pick up really fast. good luck to you. hope to see some more, like what the others have suggested...

btw, i browsed through your works and this happen to get my attention. its a really cool design. reminds me a lot of the game Persona 4.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/P8302331.png
I don't usually use blocky stuff very much when I draw, so I figured I try it out. For some reason it gives of the vibe of action cartoons from when I was a kid, so I had to slap on some cartoony colour in photoshop. Other than that, it's just pen and marker. Comments and critique is as always very welcome
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4's Kanji Tatsumi Persona
http://gaygamer.net/images/p4kanji.jpg
i hope you dont mind me quoting your previous work. i just had the urge to show you

:cat_bye:

Rubisko
09-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you BunnyVoid, I had never heard of that title before. And I have actually never met someone who would rather sketch in a 3d application than in a 2d medium, to me that just seems a very time consuming thing to do.

I decided to do a sketch for the weekly challenge, because I've never drawn pandas before. This is some of the panda-sketches I didn't submit
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1209_006_zpsdfa67138.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1209_009_zps658703af.png

JJJorgie
09-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Very cute! They look really good!

Rubisko
09-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks JJ, I have really started to enjoy the look of my sketches lately

Here's more robots
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/WIP2.png
This is a drawing, I plan to paint it, But I have some errors to fix before I start doing that. If you see something feel free to add to my list if you spot anything.
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/120926_RoboGirlWIP2.png
For this one I didn't have a good drawing when I started, and I just find things to fix all the time, I nearly threw it out but in the end think I managed to save it; I finally know where to go with it from here =)

Gedeon
09-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Really like the last one... really dramatic shading. Cant really critique anything....nice robots man.

BunnyVoid
09-26-2012, 10:42 AM
The details and design work is awesomesauce. Definitely, no crits on that, only praises. hehe...
Shading on the second one is dramatic. Looks like a screenshot of the movie. I admire the difference in detail and feel you put in the two bots.
For the first pic, i think the foot on the left is a bit thin. If it was intended as a foreshortening i suggest adjusting the angle of the foot's bridge a bit more perpendicular to the ground with the toes a little more to the back.

Can't really critique on anything more since both works are still wips. Hope to see them soon. Like I said, they're both awesome!

Demonfyre
09-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I've already given you my thoughts on these but I am going exclaim again how incredibly awesome those last two drawings were, and how well your project is going :) with the bottom one however I do think you could add more detail onto the chassis but that is really it :)

Shadowsfade
09-28-2012, 07:35 AM
You just get more awesome xD they look great! As the others said, the dramatic lighting on the second picture is really cool

cant really see anything to critique.. i guess my only question would be, for the first robot, are his feet meant to be on the ground, or is he meant to have sort of bent legs, like.. if you've seen draenei on world of warcraft? or similar to horses? just if it's meant to be normal legs with feet on the ground, it looks a lil bent, maybe coz the foot looks quite long in comparison to the shin.

Rubisko
09-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi, I've uploaded a more finalized version to my dA-account, feel free to head over and check it out (I haven't used it for over a year, and it could really need some traffic to dust it off) http://fav.me/d5g8lxw

@Ged: Thanks man
@BunnyVoid: Thanks! You have helped me more than you would think by spotting and posting about the smaller foot. In fact I think that both the arm and the leg are smaller than their opposites, but I'm suffering from perfectionism and often end up things that aren't broken (except in my opinion the are). Now I know it wasn't just me, I'll fix that =)
@Demonfyre: Thanks dude, I didn't add anything on the torso in this version, but if I come up with some insignia or something to "paint on" I'll do it. I did restructure and sharpen it up though.
@Shadowsfade: I haven't seen WoW's dranei, but I'm pretty sure that they are what you think they are. The feet is not supposed to be flat against the ground in other words =) And thank you

Rubisko
10-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Long time no see guys! Well, not very true, but it sure has been a while since I last posted here.

I'm thinking about whipping up something quick for the weekly challenge here on MT. I drew a few quick sketches, but can't really decide which one to go with. I like nr 8, 10 and 11. http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_04_zps5608dce0.png

Sketches. I know it's terribly hard to give critique on stuff like this, but if you're able to tell me if you like or dislike a particular thingy (and why you like or don't :) ) that will help me too =)
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_03_zps0ed1b51a.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_02_zps2cc124f5.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_01_zpse6c3c050.png

Thanks

BunnyVoid
10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
wow. this is awesome.

you mean you're doing the battle thing? COOL. i mean this looks epic already. i think it has too many panels in one page... the action scenes 3 and 4 (?) in the middle may look great in bigger frames... effects look really great, i could already feel the action involved from 6 to 10. good job on that.
I also love the texture.

Sketches are amazing by the way. i really like the design of the female with a staff. i love the pose too.
that's all, sorry if not much help...

Shadowsfade
10-17-2012, 06:34 AM
My favs are 7, 10 and 11 :) 7 has a lot of action and movement, which would be good for portraying battle, and 10 has a really nice landscape to give you a proper feel for what's going on, and it looks like it'd be a cool landscape too. 11 looks like you're right in the heat of it too, and i like the closeup of the face and hand

i like the design on the third page of sketches of the two (male and female?) creatures near the top left. the spikes on the head, and the trident like staffs remind me of sea creatures and fits together really well. not really any there i dont like.. maybe the very first sketches, of the blobby things with tentacles, but it depends on what they're supposed to be - if they're meant to be a creature, it seems a bit lumpy and boring, though if it's just meant to be like a plant or machine or something then it may fit it better!

Gaff
10-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Heh, I'm slightly disappointed as, when I first saw the thumbs, I thought you were planning out pages of a graphic novel.

I really like No.11 though. Maybe it's just the contrast between the white mask (?) and the black background, but it just stood out to me.

Rubisko
10-18-2012, 09:28 AM
@Bunny: Thanks, yeah this is not a comic page btw, it's just ideas for the theme. I won't be able to produce anything for the challenge deadline though, stuff got in between. I'll probably try to do 10 though, it's way outside my comfort zone so it should be a good thing to try and draw it.

@Shadowsfade: Thank you for sharing your thoughts =). I do sketches like those every day, at least one page in the morning to loosen up and then at least one more in the evening to calm down. I'm gonna post them inside spoilers here in this thread from now on, to inspire demonfyre to get off his ass and do the same. The blobs were supposed to be plants or something, but they aren't that great. The first one reminds me of a pok&#233;mon, I can't remember which one. It's from the first or second expansion though, I'm sure of that. The first 152 I know very well =3

@Gaff: hehe, it wouldn't make a very good composition for a comic page. I just think it's fun to play around with different canvas dimensions, I guess it does look a bit like a comic page though. I think 11 looks best too, but It's probably not the one I will go for in the end. But it's the one I would have least trouble with, so I might up doing it anyway. Thanks for your input :)

Ok, so from now on I will do things a bit different. First I will have a section with stuff that I'd like critique on, then I will put stuff inside spoilers at the end, just because it's fun to post stuff. You are of course very welcome to give feedback on the spoilered stuff as well, but I won't cry if you don't (at least I'll try to hide my tears =P ).

I forgot about it in my last post, but I've recently started doing silhouette sketches. It's a bit different from how I'm used to do things, and I know there are people here on MT who's been doing it for a long time, and if you read this you are more than welcome to share things you know about it with me

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/121006_Cerberus_zpsc6d4897e.png

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_10_zpsc51c4fdb.png

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_09_zpsb0bb02dc.png

And then I did this starting with a black silhoutte as well, and it's the only color you're gonna see in this post
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/121007_Kerrigan_3_zps07c494cd.png

Because I never post manga-ish stuff:
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/120905_Character_headexpression_zps9e66c2a5.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_05_zpse2f5e4a8.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_06_zps025ec986.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_07_zps9a8bc75e.png
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/1210_08_zps77a89eb3.png

BunnyVoid
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
wow cool. so this is what you mean by drawing from outside in. I should really try. Now I'm learning. Thanks.

Sorry no crits... I just have to express my gratitude.

Demonfyre
10-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Awesome stuff as always