PDA

View Full Version : Loosening up: A video everyone should watch

toast
07-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Something a lot of beginners have problems with is that they're really timid and constrained with their lines, which can really reduce your overall skill in drawing. This dude shows you how to really loosen up and be more confident with your strokes:

http://vimeo.com/22285971

Mr_Liebe
07-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Hm.... Ima favorite this, not that I'm a beginner anymore, I am getting better, but I still have a hard time drawing nice smooth lines. I'm always afraid I'll fuck up so I draw a series of little lines, is no good, I know.

JJJorgie
07-12-2012, 02:05 AM
That's a cool idea! Thanks for posting it, toast!

WhenRabbitsAttack
07-12-2012, 02:36 AM
smooth lines help after you've roughed out, then you can just follow a line down to it's completion, if that makes sense :/ i do that alot :3

drawing little lines isn't always bad, though. i use small precise strokes when i ink my drawings by hand, and it makes it alot easier to build up curves and line depth. but this is a good video, thanks toast :)

Demonfyre
07-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Very useful, thanks for posting it up toast :D

toast
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
np guys!

smooth lines help after you've roughed out, then you can just follow a line down to it's completion, if that makes sense :/ i do that alot :3

drawing little lines isn't always bad, though. i use small precise strokes when i ink my drawings by hand, and it makes it alot easier to build up curves and line depth. but this is a good video, thanks toast :)

I guess do whatever works for you when it comes to lineart. The thing is, a lot of the times when a beginner is sketching, he/she worries more about the lines and details of the sketch instead of the overall picture. Loosening up and being able to sketch more quickly and neatly will prolly help them overall with symmetry and composition in their piece. It'll also just be more comfortable and less stressful

Besides, it makes for a faster work flow. Example, it took me like 6 seconds to make multiple little lines, and 2 seconds to make 2, smooth lines:

http://i.imgur.com/gKkkb.png

Mr_Liebe
07-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Really? So, when I've mastered this technique instead of taking an hour to sketch something it could probably just take mhalf of that, maybe less?

Demonfyre
07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Really? So, when I've mastered this technique instead of taking an hour to sketch something it could probably just take mhalf of that, maybe less?

I hope your right because being able to cut down the time by half would be incredibly useful :)

toast
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/image/yes/grand/bison-yes-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1288.jpg

JJJorgie
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
It could, Liebe. Just don't get ahead of yourself and rush the drawings. Then, you'll just end up discouraged with a sloppy picture.

Mr_Liebe
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
It'd be very useful, be able to finish a piece in maybe in half a day's time, instead of like 2-3.
No, J, I wouldn't rush it, it's just nice to imagine being able to get pieces done faster, and have them look equally good, maybe better.
Oh Toast, I love that Bison pic, it's very awesome. -brofist-

toast
07-12-2012, 04:45 PM
It really helps with workflow. But yeah, like jjjorgie said, don't totally rush it. Just try and loosen up more with drawing/painting.

and hell ya