PDA

View Full Version : Change to Manga Tutorials

Rio
07-11-2012, 03:27 PM
For the people who don't check the news:

I've been sitting on this for awhile and debating the pro's and con's and I have made the decision to change the front-end of the site back to the Wordpress version. What does this mean for you?

1. It will be easier to navigate the web site. I have heard that even after over a year with this site layout, people still have a hard time finding things. With the simpler Wordpress version, I hope that it will make navigation and generally finding things easier for you.

2. All sections will remain. The Oekaki, Group Board, forum, tutorials, and yes, even the videos and a gallery will be there when it is changed over. You will have to re-upload your pictures to the gallery but the upload process should be as easy as it is now.

3. All users will remain. You will not have to re-register a new account. You will be able to log in using your username and your current password.

4. There will a a better PM system. Right now, there is a restriction occurring where you can't send a PM to another member unless you are in his or her Friend List. With the new PM system, there will be no such restriction... well, unless you're on their Foe List of course. Did I mention that you will automatically see how many messages you have and you can get a pop-up when you get a message? Yes, you get those too! I'll also make sure you will have more PMs to keep and send than right now.

5. More content every day! One of the things holding me back from posting new content is the current archaic posting ability. When the change-over occurs, something new will be posted every day from the Inspiration of the Day, manga and anime-related news, Book Reviews, and tutorials - yes, tutorials! I would also like to work on making tutorials downloadable again.

So, when will the change over take place? August 1, 2012.

Please make sure you save any pictures or content you would like to keep by July 31st. Sometime in August 1 EST, I will make the switch. At that time, the forum will remain up as will the Oekaki and the Group Board. To log into the site, you will have to go to the forum. The Oekaki and Group Board have their own separate logging system, so please use those respectively.

If you have any questions, let me know! In the meantime, enjoy the current Manga Tutorials and I'll post more news as we get closer to August.
Posted June 13, 2012 right here. (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/Rio/blog/change-to-manga-tutorials/)

Linz
07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
WOOOOO. GOING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL! Right on, Rio.

GunZet
07-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Gawwwd, get with the news, Linz!

Demonfyre
07-11-2012, 05:50 PM
And I had just got used the current version :P

Kodos
07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Wha's happening to the old forums? Are they being eaten? Do I need to have Nyarla archive the DnD threads. @@

WhenRabbitsAttack
07-11-2012, 06:55 PM
*frantically saving old artwork* ummm okay..... it'll be.. AN ADVENTURE! since i have no idea what the old site was like :3

JJJorgie
07-11-2012, 07:08 PM
And I had just got used the current version :P
Haha, I know right ;)

Good thing I'm a kind of fast learner.

Kodos
07-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Oh and this forum content is staying too, right? I don't need to back this up too?

Demonfyre
07-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Haha, I know right ;)

Good thing I'm a kind of fast learner.

Fortunately it will also be easier to use accordingly :P

Oh and this forum content is staying too, right? I don't need to back this up too?

It would probably be worth backing up anyway as a precaution

eltoroguaco
07-12-2012, 07:24 PM
This is interesting. You say this site once had the original wordpress design and you'll go back to it. I've recently made a blog on wordpress and is getting used to it as we speak. Can the gravatar and wordpress accounts be bound to this site aswell then? Or will this remain a freelancer project with its own login system and that system only?

Hayashida
07-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Wait, the forum is changing? Are we going to be using BB3?

Kodos
07-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Will I be able to access the new forums from my Commodore 64?

ClockHand
07-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Will it blend?

Gedeon
07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
will i understand whats going on!? So we get a new forum/whole site? or remodel this one?

TheVermillionFox
07-12-2012, 10:50 PM
You mean the version before this, or the first version?

Hell_Baron
07-14-2012, 03:32 PM
do i have to make a new account again?

GunZet
07-14-2012, 03:40 PM
The one we have right now is essentially just getting all the fat trimmed. If I'm looking at this right.

Rio
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
This forum will remain. We will not go back to phpbb. The front of the site with the gallery, tutorials, videos, etc will be changed over back to the wordpress version. Here's what it looked like:

http://mangatutorials.net/img/newmtdesign.jpg

From what I got, the current design is still confusing to many so the switch will help in that regard among other reasons.

This is interesting. You say this site once had the original wordpress design and you'll go back to it. I've recently made a blog on wordpress and is getting used to it as we speak. Can the gravatar and wordpress accounts be bound to this site aswell then? Or will this remain a freelancer project with its own login system and that system only?I haven't decided what to do with the account registration in Wordpress. Back when I had it up, registration was closed. I am currently considering using Disqus (http://disqus.com/) as a possible commenting system. Either that or just slugging the posts I make in Wordpress into here in the forum and then just making a link in WP to jump to the forum for comments. ANN is an example of the latter option. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/)

Celestial-Fox
07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Woo, I'm glad about the PMs.

Rio
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Hello all! If you didn't notice already, I've started the process of changing over the site and forum.

FYI:
1. Logging into the forum will not log you into the rest of the site and vice versa.
2. You will have to log in via your username in the forum and with your email in the main site.

Things I am working on:
1. Changing to MT banner instead of vBulletin
2. Setting the PMs for members - notices should be on the upper right where the log in is located.
and
3. A few other back end things...

eltoroguaco
08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
yh Noticed something was happening. The forum changed skin and became wider. That it is now disconnected from the site explains it XP

Is the site unavailable atm then?

ClockHand
08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
There are people having problems at logging.

Tzvety has reseted her password, but the link on the emails sent her to no where.

GunZet
08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Maybe that's just one of the older problems at work. I think Rio said there's no big changes to the user database, so there's a chance it could just be one of the many already established MT derps.

toast
08-02-2012, 02:34 PM
yo guys, im all good now. the password resetting thing was just being dumb

Rio
08-02-2012, 04:00 PM
FYI to all having problems logging into the forum with their old password - you will have to reset your password. When it shows the error message hit the "click here" link. You will have to enter your email address and then answer the security question. Once you've done that, you can log into the forum without any more problems.

Btw, Fenn - if you're reading this, your account was deleted in the forum or at least I don't see it in the database. Sorry, but you'll have to re-register. :\

On another note, I will be working on switching over the main site later today. As well as changing some things here in the forum.

Kodos
08-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Is that going to make the forums not be so hilariously wie?

Rio
08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Working on that right now. :>

UPDATE
I changed the width to 1024px. I'll be working on the icons, logo, and background color next.

Kodos
08-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Awww yearrr

Rio
08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Private Messages has been turned on. Link is below What's New? and Forum.

Hayashida
08-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Looks good, Rio, dis is awesome

Rio
08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks! Still got some changes to do but I'll work on the main site first.

Outcast
08-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Is there an option to center it. For some reason having it on the left make me slightly dizzy or something.

Psy
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
I know there were ways to change your font type before but I like having a button to do it automatically now.

Rio
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
The forum should be centered. I'm looking at it centered right now. :|

eltoroguaco
08-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Outcast, try ctrl+f5.

jubeh
08-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey WHATS UP guys. I like the notifications thing at the top.

Hayashida
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
V E R Y C O O L !

Outcast
08-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Outcast, try ctrl+f5.

It centers it for a second then it pops back to the left.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/23r3bqw.jpg

EDIT: Firefox seems to display it properly so I wonder if it's a setting in chrome however I have no idea which setting I messed up.

jubeh
08-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Rio do you still have to be friends with somebody to private message them?

Edit: I actually can't pm anybody other than john

Psy
08-03-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm going to assume it works between mods but no one else.

jubeh
08-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Sweet not like we have a secret mod section where we can all talk anyway

GunZet
08-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Oh hey, this is pretty awesome. Had to reset my password, but lookin' sick.

Superdooperphailmachine
08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
This font thing is cool.

Son44
08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I have a minor problem:

I can't change the password on my user at the main page of MT. I try to send an email to change it, I recieve it and when I open the link it doesn't work. All i get is a blank page, then I reload and I recieve a message telling me that my pasword request is invalid.

Any suggestions, Rio?

Demonfyre
08-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I have a minor problem:

I can't change the password on my user at the main page of MT. I try to send an email to change it, I recieve it and when I open the link it doesn't work. All i get is a blank page, then I reload and I recieve a message telling me that my pasword request is invalid.

Any suggestions, Rio?

Same problem I'm having :L

AlmanacnamedTime
08-03-2012, 09:16 PM
I have that as well.

Mr_Liebe
08-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Same problem, experience I am.

Demonfyre
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Same problem, experience I am.

Problem experience, same I am?

Rio
08-04-2012, 10:40 PM
@ Son44 and everyone else after
Not sure why you want to change your password there (main page) when I'm getting rid of it but if you're trying to do the change password as I'm suggesting in this thread - you have to log in here in the forum. Make sure you enter the wrong password. Hit the click here link when the error message shows up and follow the directions from there.

re PMs>
I'll take a look at it now.

[UPDATE]
You guys should be able to use PMs now. Picture Albums have also been turned on. Btw, how do you guys like the updated threads and posts box on the right? Or the activity stream?

Psy
08-05-2012, 01:34 AM
I like the update boxes. Quite convenient for stalking what's hot on MT. I'm thrown off by the missing "reply to thread" button that used to be there when I was lurking and not signed in. It's a nice trade off that the log in system is reliable now (I used the reply to thread button as my main way of logging in) and that it keeps you on the same page you started.

Sho
08-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Does this mean I can finally get an avatar? That would be amazing. For some reason it doesn't show up :I

Edit : Finally. FINALLY.

CypressDahlia
08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Does the Gallery feature not exist anymore or something?

Demonfyre
08-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Does the Gallery feature not exist anymore or something?

I was looking around the main site and I found a link to a an area where we could according pos up images in a gallery but the link was dead so either it's there by mistake or it's not up and running yet

Rio
08-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Hmm, I thought I set the new Gallery up but let me check again... :<

[UPDATE]
Okay, found the place to make it turn it on. Go to Community > Albums to make your own album and start uploading.

I also added links at the top to the tutorials, Oekaki, Group Board and so on. To see the Group Board link, you have to be a member and logged in.

eltoroguaco
08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
When will the forum and the site bind again? Or will that never happen?

EDIT: Uhm... where's the login screen at the site? Can't find the login, register or user page.

Rio
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Forum + Site sync will not happen for now. As for log-in for the main site - I'd tell you but there would be no point since registration is turned off anyways.

eltoroguaco
08-07-2012, 04:14 PM
So the only place to upload images is on the forum now?

Speaking of which. The forum uploading annoys me to death! It can only upload from an URL and the max size promotion is too small for ANY of my images! I have to shrink them until all the quality is off for it to work! Also that the max limit is not written down, so I have to keep going for hours before I find the right size. Please make the size cap a lot bigger, it must at least handle the res of 1920x1080 for it to work with the average pictures and write down the info of what's the max limit so people will know what to upload. I'll give up uploading unless it'll be made simpler.

Sorry to add complains, hate doing that, but the picture change to the site have gone a bad direction.

Demonfyre
08-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Hmm, I thought I set the new Gallery up but let me check again... :<

[UPDATE]
Okay, found the place to make it turn it on. Go to Community > Albums to make your own album and start uploading.

I also added links at the top to the tutorials, Oekaki, Group Board and so on. To see the Group Board link, you have to be a member and logged in.

Yaaay it's working :D

Rio
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
@elto
Yes.

Things are always a work in progress especially when things get changed so no, complaints are okay. Anyways, I'll consider your request.

[UPDATE]
Ok, looked at this a bit. To find the max size and file size, there is a ? on the upper-right. Click that to see the limits.

Working on allowing you to upload from computer...

Demonfyre
08-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Yeah making the max dimensions larger would be extremely helpful even if it were like 1500x1500 or something :D also this isn't really a complaint more of a suggedtion but I think you could try to make the new albums section a bit more visible maybe? On the old version it was very clear where the gallery is but now it's a bit more concealed, I would never have thought to look around the community area for it if not for your post :o again just a suggestion, I know your busy with everything else that needs to be done :)

toast
08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
the sites cool now. However, I cant seem to look at any of my sent messages in the pm thingy

eltoroguaco
08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
sounds fine Rio ;) Also agrees on what Demonfyre said.

Another thing... is the battles and rating still on the site? If they are, maybe they could be added on the forum header so it could be easier located?

Another suggestion is to make a small header that follows a scrolling screen that works and looks the same on both the forum and the main site that got links to the forum, home page, your profile, notifications, albums and activities like Group board, Oekaki, art battles and rating. Only a suggestion ;)

Rio
08-07-2012, 05:43 PM
the sites cool now. However, I cant seem to look at any of my sent messages in the pm thingy
You have to set it to save copies in the Sent Items Folder. To do that, go to Forum Actions > General Settings > Send Private Messages > Select "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default".

@ Demonfyre
That's actually one of the things I'm looking into. There's a way to set it so the album pictures or at least the latest pictures are shown right on the front page/main page of forum.

@ elto
The art battles are no longer around. As for your other suggestion, I'll take a look at it when I can.

toast
08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
thankyou!

Rio
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
lol You're welcome!

Btw, I added the latest album pictures thing at the bottom of the forum. Enjoy! :>

eltoroguaco
08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Sad the battles are gone... I liked to do those while waiting for streaming and/or games to load.

A question (not a suggestion):
Will there be more skins to the site and forum as before? Maybe an opportunity to add custom backgrounds as well as the settings on your profile? Cause really few colours fit with the annoying default blue... so my profile gives me headaches when customized XP

Demonfyre
08-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Shame the battles are gone :(

@Rio - Oh ok, awesome :D

I also have a question in conjunction with Guaco's; Will we be able to organise our profiles and add stuff like the 'about myself' etc into the new profiles like the old versions on the previous version of the site?

Matt
08-08-2012, 02:50 PM
The art battles would have been better if a) you could view fullsize images--the lack of this made manga pages almost always lose, b) you could access the private profile of a new/non-posting member to see if a suspicious picture was actually drawn by the user in question, c) there was some sort of categorization (heck, sticking the Saimoe entries in a category together could have made for a faster voting system), and d) you could see what your picture won and lost against.

In the end, I'm not sure I'll miss the art battles, as I used them primarily for a time-killer while waiting for a video to load, and now that I no longer have a connection at home, I can't even do that. Though that's not saying they couldn't be worthwhile with some improvements.

Edit: There was a complaint here. It's gone now.

Rio
08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
@ elto
Eventually I would like to make different templates but it's not top priority right now.

@ Demonfyre
Go to My Profile (next to Notifications up top where you log in) and hit the pencil icon to change what is written. You can't move things around but you can customize colors and whatnot. Just hit the Customize my Profile button.

Matt
08-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Why can't we upload stuff to albums directly from our computers like we could before? Saving from another hosting site eliminates half the point.

Rio
08-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Not sure. Technically, we're supposed to be able to do so but for some reason, it's turned off. There's so many settings in vbulletin and in various places, it's a bit of a chore to see find out which one will turn the darn thing on. :\

Anyways, just be patient while I slog through the stuff. I'll let you know when the feature is available.

J_Mizu
08-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Any chance that avatars can be gif? Or is it actually allowed and I'm just missing something?

Psy
08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
The maximum size of your custom image is 150 by 150 pixels or 488.8 KB (whichever is smaller).

If yours isint playing then one of these things has happened:
1) The file size is to large.
2) The image is to large and the gif was broken as a result. This one is unlikely because I checked and it's only 60x65.
3) The gif is just broken.
4) The file source or link you used is wrong. Again probably not, because the image still shows up.
5) .gif is not supported by the forum or is off. Still seems unlikely.

Rio
08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Gifs are allowed. I see your green Mr. Potato head knocking a broom above him just fine. Kinda funny too! :3

J_Mizu
08-25-2012, 01:48 PM
oohhh yeah I changed it thanks to Psy's answer :D

Rio
08-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Btw, uploading to the Album from your computer is now enabled! I finally found that darn setting. And you can upload 10 at a time too. Oh yeah~~

eltoroguaco
08-29-2012, 10:02 PM
hey! Look who's been working! Nice =D I'll go ahead and upload pictures right ahead then ;)

What's the max size for uploaded pictures now then? (Resolution and/or filesize. Whatever is smallest I suppose)

Rio
08-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Image size is 1024 across the board whatever image type it is. File size is 195 KB for images and lower for other types (doc, pdf, zip). I think there's a list somewhere if you hit the ? when uploading...

[UPDATE]
I increased the size of the forum a bit to 1080 so 1024 images are actually still in the forum and not sticking out. :>

eltoroguaco
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
that's cool, thanks ;P Think I've uploaded pictures that's wider than 1080 but... Nice to know where to stand :P

Rio
08-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Haha, well, in those cases I think it automatically re-sizes your images so you don't have to worry. :) Speaking of which, I should upload some new images too! :3

eltoroguaco
08-30-2012, 12:22 PM
ahh... that makes sense XP It's not a big size... I often draw twice as big xD But it's fine as it's placed on a forum... the spaces on forum albums never really are big.

Shadowsfade
08-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Yay thanks Rio :D also, for your contest for new banner images for the main site, does it need to include the 'Manga Tutorials' etc? not that i'd be able to think of something to draw, but just incase i do xD

Rio
08-31-2012, 08:59 AM
No, the banner does not include the Manga Tutorials logo. It's just going to go over the area where the pin, sharpener, paper, colored pencil and whatnot are located.

And you're welcome! :>