PDA

View Full Version : Saddest Endings You have seen.

Owithrow
06-10-2012, 01:17 AM
The saddest ones for me-
Angel Beats:cat_whyyou:
Ga-Rei Zero
Final Fantasy 10
Specificly the episode in futurama where fry finds his fossilized dog

Outcast
06-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Gundam 0080 is the only thing I've watched with a particularly sad ending.
Bernieee! T_T

Owithrow
06-10-2012, 01:33 AM
People say elfen lied is pretty sad at the end, but i havent finished that one.

Outcast
06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
I didn't find it all that sad at the ending.

Rubisko
06-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Bladerunner. For empathic reasons I guess

GunZet
06-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Samurai Champloo. Cause it ended.

Gaff
06-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Grave of the Fireflies is a pretty bad one. It's not even a spoiler to say the kids die at the end - the film tells you that right at the beginning.

Shnorkel
06-10-2012, 07:04 AM
I didn't find it all that sad at the ending.

Mabye the ending itself wasn't sad,
but Mariko's death was the freaking saddest thing that I have ever seen :monkey_muchtears:

Also Code Geass and Angel Beats.

Matt
06-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Elfen Lied's saddest moment wasn't the ending, at least for me (personally, I found the ending to the manga more hopeful than sad). It was:

Kouta's sister is cut in half and killed right after he insults her. He is never able to apologize, and therefore has to live with the guilt forever, and she dies thinking he hates her.

eltoroguaco
06-10-2012, 09:14 AM
I agree with the dog on futurama. that ending almost made me weep.
Another sad/touching futurama ending is the one about Fry's Brother.

Then we have the ending on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I don't mind the part where Dumbledore actually dies. But the scene after is extremely touching.
Another Harry Potter ending is Deathly Hallows part 1 when Dobby dies :( But on the books, the whole deathly hallows is way more sad than any other of the books. They didn't get it sad enough in the movies.

Got another sad movie ending; The Green Mile. Enough said.

Demonfyre
06-10-2012, 09:16 AM
When ash was turned to stone!!!!!! :( *Cries in a corner*

Seriously though, the futurama dog incident :/

Shnorkel
06-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Elfen Lied's saddest moment wasn't the ending, at least for me (personally, I found the ending to the manga more hopeful than sad). It was:

Kouta's sister is cut in half and killed right after he insults her. He is never able to apologize, and therefore has to live with the guilt forever, and she dies thinking he hates her.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6_wOo0TuT-s/TxWiM4QHHmI/AAAAAAAADDs/gp5xCvjbFvM/s1600/tumblr_lxwj9husJv1rnriy0o1_500.gif

Owithrow
06-10-2012, 10:33 AM
The first time i watched angel beats, i didnt watch past the credits so it was much sadder:cat_whyyou:

Outcast
06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Oh yes Xam'd had a rather bittersweet ending.
Even more so depending on how you interpret the ending.
It's not explicitly stated if that's akiyuki or the emperor at the end.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-10-2012, 04:23 PM
If we're sticking with strictly Anime and Manga, TTGL has a pretty sad ending. And I imagine Gantz will too. But maybe not.

When ash was turned to stone!!!!!! :( *Cries in a corner*

Seriously though, the futurama dog incident :/
Oh God. Both of these.

eltoroguaco
06-10-2012, 04:34 PM
"If it takes forever I will wait for you
For a thousand summers I will wait for you"

Delphinus
06-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Grave of the Fireflies. How is this even a question?

The main character's younger (toddler) sister dies from starvation because he's too proud to go back to his relatives for help. She ends up being cremated in a tiny wicker coffin.

Closely followed by the Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

It has more than one ending, because it's about time travel after all. The first ending - she lends her bike, which has broken brakes, to a close friend, who rides on it with his girlfriend. They end up plummeting down a hill and in front of a moving train, which is how the movie starts, except it's the main character who goes downhill. She's only saved because she picked up a time travel device.

The second ending: she keeps looking for the boy she loves but can't find him. He's completely vanished back in time, and she never sees him again.

The third ending is a happier ending.

Regantor
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Jin-Roh Wolf Brigade, easily. So much so I was actually pissed off about how depressing it was the first time I saw it.

Who would have thought that an artsy romp about a (badass power armoured nationalist) soldier falling in slightly unhealthy love with a possible terrorist would turn into one of the biggest 'kick the dog' stories going?... It actually reminds me of the sort of 'well what did you expect?' thing that the director did with the end of Pan's Labyrinth. Making you earnestly hope for the best, and then POW, super-charged depression punch, right in the face. -_-

Outcast
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Huh just discovered the kerberos saga myself.

AlmanacnamedTime
06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Grave of the Fireflies is a pretty bad one. It's not even a spoiler to say the kids die at the end - the film tells you that right at the beginning.

TTGL has a pretty sad ending.

These.

AkiraxMamiFTW
07-14-2012, 05:33 AM
I don't know if i find this one sad or disturbing but it's school days for me. Others would probably be Burst Angel or Witchblade.

TheVermillionFox
07-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I have to agree, the ending of Angel Beats made me sad. But that's Key for you.

Hant_iiha_cohacomxoj
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Code Geass- English ending cause he really died in that one

ZeroBlood
07-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Clannad After Story.

Ozzaharwood
07-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Has anyone mentioned Air yet? That was probably the worst.

Renzokuken
07-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Samurai Champloo. Cause it ended.

Omg yes.

I'd say Bebop as well.

eltoroguaco
07-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Still kinda surprised no one have mentioned Toy Story 3

Matt
07-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Toy Story 3 didn't hit me as hard as most, though I wish it would have. I didn't have any toys I really loved since childhood that I had to part with as an adult, though. I missed out. And really, was it all that sad? Though I didn't cry to it, I found it to be one of the best happy endings Pixar has made (and I love Pixar, so that says something). It takes a lot more skill to write a tearfully happy ending than a tearfully sad one.

As for actual sad endings, I haven't seen many--and 90% of anime with "sad" endings just makes me groan because of how poorly it's executed. None, really. I don't watch sad movies most of the time (rented Glory earlier today--gonna see how that turns out). So I'll go with this:

Fellowship of the Ring spoilers:
Not truly the ending, but Boromir's redemption and death. He falls to the temptation of the ring, tries to take it from Frodo, repents, and tries to protect Merri and Pippin. He takes an arrow, stands again, keeps fighting, takes another arrow, keeps fighting, and only stops after a third arrow, after which he's left alive to see the hobbits captured, thus making it look to him as if his redemption was meaningless.

Also, this was one of those tearfully happy moments, but Frodo rescuing Sam in the river-crossing scene. So simple, so obvious, yet so beautiful.

I liked Fellowship better than the sequels, but in Return of the King:
Frodo saying goodbye to Sam.

eltoroguaco
07-26-2012, 10:43 PM
agree on the return of the king part... but on the fellowship of the ring. I kinda feel sader after Gandalf's disappearance than what you mentioned.

because Borimir was kind of a jerk before he died and even if he sacrificed himself for saving the hobbits, I was too pissed at him to feel sorry for him. It just went too quick. But in the Gandalf incident, the sad part wasn't when he "died" (even though he returned in two towers) it was later when you saw them walking out of the caves and being sad for the rest of the movie cause they lost their best friend. And the elves song for him and such (if I remember right. Long time since I watched it).

Lucy
07-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Elfen Lied's ending hit me like a ton of bricks, but I understand that's a polarizing one, since it hints at Nyuu's survival, and Lucy is arguably a horrible murderer, depending on whether you accept the justification of her past twisting her into being like that (I did, oh my god the scene with the dog and the little kids, uggggh my feelings).Elfen Lied is pretty much the only thing which I've had an actual significant emotional response to. I spent a few days after watching it being sad and quiet. Didn't help that I missed some details because I'm horribly inattentive and tend to do that, and it was the second time I watched it that I took the full blow of Mariko's story. Oh my, that STANG. Don't know what it is about that show but it gets to me.

Toy Story 3 is probably worth a mention, I didn't expect something so moving from a Pixar film, so it took me off guard. Although they've been doing that a lot lately. First sequence of UP, anyone?

Matt
07-27-2012, 09:56 PM
agree on the return of the king part... but on the fellowship of the ring. I kinda feel sader after Gandalf's disappearance than what you mentioned.

because Borimir was kind of a jerk before he died and even if he sacrificed himself for saving the hobbits, I was too pissed at him to feel sorry for him. It just went too quick. But in the Gandalf incident, the sad part wasn't when he "died" (even though he returned in two towers) it was later when you saw them walking out of the caves and being sad for the rest of the movie cause they lost their best friend. And the elves song for him and such (if I remember right. Long time since I watched it).

I didn't react much the first time I saw the movie (at 13), but re-watching it at 18, I cried at three points. I mentioned the first two because they were more "ending-ish".
Gandalf falling was the first, even though I knew he'd return in the second movie. And yes, it wasn't so much his "death" as it was his friends' reactions.

I sympathized with Boromir because I completely understood what he was trying to do. He didn't want to destroy the ring when it could save his entire kingdom. He wanted to return triumphant, maybe with Aragorn as a brother. He didn't want to hurt Frodo, or anyone else for that matter. All he cared about was his people, and if he wanted to return gloriously, more power to him. I've never hated a character for wanting something for themselves, especially when "destroy the ring and everything will be better" is so incredibly vague. Sam, Gandalf, and Boromir were my favorite characters in Fellowship, and coincidentally, they're the ones who provoked the greatest emotional reaction.

Also, this one's not a movie or anime, but the end of I Don't Want To Kill You by Dan Wells made me close the book and just sit there for the longest time, realizing that, twenty pages from the end, I legitimately did not want to finish the book--not because it was bad, but because the writing was almost too good. The ending did the same thing, though I was glad I didn't put it down. A sociopath main character does not mean an unemotional story. There are three books in that series, and every one of them has at least one super-heavy moment that has actually made me put the book down and just appreciate the people I love.

I didn't cry, though. I'm kinda thinking the music in Lord of the Rings was a major culprit, as I think I've maybe teared up once while reading a book (Hunger Games):
The easiest way to slap me in the emotions is to make a young girl die. Elfen Lied also did this, quite a few times, though I have a few grievances about it. For one, it relies so heavily on shock elements and the cartoon-like blood does kinda ruin it.

Oh, yeah, and Lucy. Pixar is actually fairly good at that. Rewatch all three Toy Story films with the knowledge that the trilogy is actually about mortality.

WhenRabbitsAttack
07-30-2012, 02:12 AM
the end of braveheart- sort of cliche for sadi endingd but still- is the one (and i mean the one) movie ending that really, truly made me want to cry. i generally can't cry at even the saddest movies because i know that they're just a picture on a screen, but defiant till the end, really.... T-T

eltoroguaco
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't react much the first time I saw the movie (at 13), but re-watching it at 18, I cried at three points. I mentioned the first two because they were more "ending-ish".
[spoiler]Gandalf falling was the first, even though I knew he'd return in the second movie. And yes, it wasn't so much his "death" as it was his friends' reactions.

I see what you mean. Most people I know agree with you about the Borimir scene. I guess I'm a bit unusual for not responding to it XP Though, it's a long time since I saw those movies.

About the pixar thing. If there's one thing Pixar is good at, it's plot and morals. Every pixar movies got a major theme that might not be seen by kids during their first watch, but is clear to the adults. I guess this is why their movies are touching and good for all ages.

Matt
07-30-2012, 04:30 PM
To each their own. In Titanic, the scene that got me was the orchestra's last song, not anything about the romance (I'm almost completely numb to romance in movies--and in real life, for that matter).

Oh man. I just watched through Elfen Lied again. It's probably one of the better ones I've seen. Not even the flopped voice acting ruined it (though it certainly tried).
Even at their most subtle, the Japanese still are pretty obvious, aren't they? Female figure at the door, Nyu's favorite clock tolling (pointed out by Kouta), close-up of Nyu's seashell.
Two things to say about that anime:
1. Why in the world is that ending song so happy?
2. Protip: watch Elfen Lied in Japanese.

eltoroguaco
07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
when it comes to boats that sinks, I'm more sad on "Boat that rocked" than on "Titanic".

Outcast
07-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Protip: watch Elfen Lied in Japanese.

I can never seem to remember subs.

Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade

I'm going to have to agree now that I finally saw the movie.

angelika28970
08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
angel beats:cat_cryincorner:

Black_Shaggie
08-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I remember this older anime called Perfect Blue. It was about a pop star in Japan who decided to get into acting. Long story short, thing go bad for her as an amateur actress (takes some seedy roles & winds up in some pretty compromising situations...one scene that was a portrayal of violent crime actually became that crime when the leading man and stage hands took advantage of her). Meanwhile her manager...who's obsessed with her pop star persona...goes batty, dresses up like her & tries to kill her. The crazy thing is, the pop star/actress was actually having a nervous breakdown at the same time because of the traumatic things that had happened to her once she decided to start acting.

In the end, the manager winds up falling to her death chasing the star in her old stage costume (which didn't fit because she was fat & the start was petite) & it was sad because. The star saw the manager as she was before all the 'mature' roles...a innocent pop idol..that mocked the tragedy of her life. Fighting through the crazy, she faces her manager/self & survives. But after here manager dies & she become a legitimate actress...yo can still see the sadness & scars left from her very difficult path to stardom.

Delphinus
08-16-2012, 07:29 PM
^ Satoshi Kon is the director. He's my favourite anime director. He died around my birthday a year or so ago. :'(

eltoroguaco
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
ok I've changed my mind. Saddest ending in Lord of the Rings is definitely the very end.
Where Frodo, Gandalf, Bilbo and the elves goes on the ship to leave middle earth. It's not bad sad, more like beautiful sad. Peter Jackson made a great job illustrating that scene from Tolken's Book. Haven't read the book, but imagine it's even more touching there.

Gedeon
08-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Has any one of you played Ever 17 ?

Its ''bad'' endings are....well....

First they give you light, then they give you a mindfuck, after that they make you worry. Then its a good looong stretch of slowly spiraling into hopelessness and sadness. Then its a roller-coaster of high-hopes and misery. The endings are the worst.... its either a bitter-sweet end or an end that rips out your heart and burns it in the flames of disappointment and unfairness.
I beg any of you that have time to read a good VN to download this thing and read though it.

IanPMD
08-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Has any one of you played Ever 17 ?

Its ''bad'' endings are....well....

First they give you light, then they give you a mindfuck, after that they make you worry. Then its a good looong stretch of slowly spiraling into hopelessness and sadness. Then its a roller-coaster of high-hopes and misery. The endings are the worst.... its either a bitter-sweet end or an end that rips out your heart and burns it in the flames of disappointment and unfairness.
I beg any of you that have time to read a good VN to download this thing and read though it.

The good endings also tend to go that way, only they end on a better note than the grim bad endings(Except for the true end, which ends a bit too well)

BloodiRose
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Clannad; After Story
Saikano
This Ugly yet Beautiful World
Elfen Lied
Madoka Magica
Nana
Paradice Kiss

I could go on, but the list would be too long. D:

hansuke22
10-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Chrno Crusade.. I never saw anyone post anything about this anime/manga..
but the ending really did make me cry

Black_Shaggie
11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
What about the really fugged up ending to Akira? Am I the only one who felt bad for Tetsuo? Let that be a lesson to you kids....if you have latent psionic abilities & low self esteem, don't do drugs.

jubeh
11-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Its weird how in the comic and movie you'll find different reasons for empathizing with tetsuo. Both amazing pieces of fiction.

Mystick10
11-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Soul Eater. The anime. You know, the ending's so bad it's SAD!

Edit: wait a minute, talking about endings so bad they're sad... Evangelion. As for a really sad ending, Death Note maybe. idk.

Sylux
11-26-2012, 12:28 AM
I loved Death Note's ending. It was perfect how Mr. Pretentiousness Yagami himself was reduced to a frantic, anxious outward maniac in the final moments. What I did not like about it, though, is how N exploited his own pretentiousness to bring about the ending. So it's good with what happens to Light, but what happens with Near irks me still.

Blazer64
11-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Most recently, probably Tokyo Magnitute 8.0. Being an older sibling in a similar household, it really struck a chord with the whole story, let alone the last episode. T-T Given the events of last years earthquake, that too would make the series heartwrenching to viewers. Honestly one of the most emotional endings/series that I've seen.

LockeYagami
02-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Clannad After Story was the saddest for me. D=

arsland
11-10-2013, 06:29 AM
gintama ended

SassyTurtles
12-18-2013, 10:22 AM
oh god madoka magica's ending had me bawling like a baby for like the entire last episode

and catching fire had me crying a lot too, but that was more for the first half of the movie??

theAnimeRebel
12-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Oh, Gintama, I know. (Also, this thread is still going?)

GINTAMA WHY YOU GONE, NOOOOOO!!!!

Macguyevr
03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Clannad the After Story takes first, But a close second happens in the first 15 mins of The Last of Us.