PDA

View Full Version : General Sai advice

Shadowsfade
06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Soo I've been doing more digital drawing again lately, and have managed to improve my shading with lots of practice on Sai.... so now I'm trying to move onto backgrounds!

I want to improve my skill at them (and make them not look like they were drawn by a two year old) so I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with Sai has any advice for me? What tools and brushes do you use? Layer types? Opacity? etc etc. I've tried messing around with different things myself and tried googling some tutorials, but I havent found anything so far that has been of any help to me!

Also, how do you download new brushes for Sai? I havent managed to successfully do so!

Many thanks for any tips and advice! They would help a lot! :o

Matt
06-07-2012, 04:57 PM
I didn't even know you could make custom brushes, and I've used Sai for years. Anyway, I'm not sure about downloading, but you can make your own brushes by duplicating a brush or right-clicking in an empty slot and messing with the settings below your brush box.

This tutorial (http://darlingmionette.deviantart.com/art/SAI-Tutorial-Custom-Brushes-162081137) is pretty helpful, if you haven't already seen it.

Shadowsfade
06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the advice and tutorial about making your own brushes - doesnt seem to hard, and I might be able to make the sort of brushes I was after myself now!

What I had in mind was things like that you can download for GIMP and photoshop (so assumed could do for sai too) where people make custom brushes eg. to look like grass or whatever, that you can then download (or just diff shapes to the bog standard circle brush)

thanks!

Matt
06-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure about different shapes. I think all you have to work with is there, and if you can't make quick grass from there, you're not getting it. Apparently you can download custom brushes other people made using the options in Sai, though.

Shadowsfade
06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, following links from the one you gave me, you can download brushes people have made from sai - but they're just settings they've changed in the link you sent me so you dont have to do it yourself. but this should help!

nisaren
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
SAI is great for certain things such as lineart, blending, etc. and it has very responsive brushes. The trade off for that responsiveness is that there is basically no support for creating custom brushes like you see in GIMP or Photoshop. I haven't messed with the brushes on SAI for a long time (actually I haven't used it in a long time...) so I can't remember everything but I know you can add textures to brushes and I believe you can change the tip shape. But it's far from intuitive and usually not worth doing.

Honestly though, you can and should be able to do everything using just a standard round brush. Most professional artists use custom brushes in order to speed up the art process. For people just starting out, I would suggest that you learn by just using standard brushes. Once you are capable with that, you can fiddle with custom brushes to become more efficient. A fancy brush won't make you a better artist.

I personally find SAI to be difficult to use for painting because of how colors blend in SAI. Photoshop and GIMP blend colors very differently than SAI. But this is really just a personal preference. Other than that, drawing backgrounds or landscapes is just like drawing anything else. You need to practice painting or drawing from reference.

Shadowsfade
06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice - so for painting would you think that something like GIMP would be better than SAI? coz i have gimp, but havent used for a while as I found Sai better for lineart.