PDA

View Full Version : Tips on inking

Demonfyre
05-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Well I just got an inking pen (http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/campusstore/supplies_schoolg.html) which ordered from the US and i've never inked any of my drawings before so I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to ink properly and if it is really as simple as just going over the lines I made with my pencil :)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ram
05-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah it's basically going over the lines .. just do it more slowly and don't rush it.

Shindoutou
05-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Optionally: lightly erase your pencil lines (for example with a kneaded eraser) before you start inking. That usually helps me when inking. If I don't, it'll start to bleed when the pencil lines are too thick.

Other than that, what ram said. Also try varying the thickness of the final lines to give it a more lively look. If that even makes sense.

Mr_Liebe
05-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Could someone use a regular pen until they got a hold of an inking pen?

Demonfyre
05-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Okay thanks for the replies :D i'm going to start inking old drawings I drew maybe a two weeks to a month ago until i'm confident enough to ink my newly made drawings :)

Could someone use a regular pen until they got a hold of an inking pen?

I just used a regular pen until I got that new fountain pen in the mail a couple of days ago :3

Mr_Liebe
05-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Ah, thank you.

JJJorgie
05-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Also, make long and smooth lines. Use your arm or wrist. Let some parts dry before doing others, so that you don't smear the ink or run your hand through it.

Demonfyre
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Fortunately when I got the pen it did have some handy tips to prevent smudging :)

JJJorgie
05-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Cool! And, make sure you have good lighting!

Demonfyre
05-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Noted :) I'll maybe put some up on my critique thread later when i've had time to practice and get better at it for review :D

ClockHand
05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Buy a good paper that work with ink well. And know your tools, there are many tools to ink and you must learn how to use, what those can do and what they can't, also develop the technique around those tools is very important, you don't ink with a nib as with a rapidograph

erikamae
05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I agree with Jorgie, use your wrist or elbow as an anchor and make long smooth lines rather than a bunch of tiny lines. And I think it's easier when you draw/ink towards you, so I would suggest you tilt your paper as you go. :} And watch out for wet ink, you don't want to smudge your new, crisply lined drawing!
and with what clock said, different tools handle in different ways. So, maybe you can try different types of pens, technical pens like Microns are disposable, or refillable technical pens like rapidographs (a little pricy! but will last longer than a disposable pen). There are also dip pens (which I prefer) which come in a wiiiiide variety (from diff. nibs to diff. handles!), there are also glass dip pens. Then you've got fountain pens, kind of like a hybrid of a technical and a dip pen, but that's what you have so :}

Demonfyre
05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
So I will need to do quite a lot of research to find which tool is best suited to me and figure out their strengths and limitations, better get started now then and i'll try drawing away and towards me to see which is more natural to me :D thanks both of you for posting :)

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-08-2012, 04:53 AM
hold the pen at no more than a 25 degree angle to the paper. if it stands straight like when you write, the paper will get caught in the nib and your pen strokes will look messy.

and depending on the pen he's using, building up lots of tapered strokes can give a similar effect to long even strokes.

tagYURIT
06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Go over the silhouette of the big pieces first, this'll help you set up the proportions. use the elbow as pivot point. makes smooth lines =). dont rush. when you're gettin bored inkin a certain part. switch to an interesting part to get your inspiration juice comin. (i quoted that) . Music . helps. set up drink. coffee. or root beer. don't think. trust your pencil.

Demonfyre
06-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Some more tips :D thanks!

hold the pen at no more than a 25 degree angle to the paper. if it stands straight like when you write, the paper will get caught in the nib and your pen strokes will look messy.

First hand experience of this unfortunately :/

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-14-2012, 05:26 AM
eek. i hope it was just a practice pieces. BTW are you left or right handed?

Demonfyre
06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Right handed, and fortunately I only ink old prices I drew weeks or months ago because I don't trust myself yet :P