PDA

View Full Version : One Year Later - Opinions on MT Site

Rio
05-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey everyone, I'd like to know of your opinions of the new site. What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? What do you think could be improved?

I'm asking because now that we've used this new version of Manga Tutorials for over a year now, I'd like to see if it was worth it and if it can be changed for the better. Some of my thoughts:

1. I thought the video section would be more popular than it is right now which is kind of surprising. I've been asked about video tutorials before but given the views it doesn't seem like it's worth keeping.

2. The gallery is doing well. Lots of people are posting. A bit hard to keep track of all the postings being done especially when a member doesn't make the image available for viewing in the Gallery page. I have mixed feelings about keeping this area. It does have the traffic but in the end, I feel like other sites already provide this kind of service and do it well. (i.e. Deviantart)

3. I'm a bit troubled with the sign up to the site. Not the questions and all that but I made a test account several months ago using a new email. After sign-up, that email which had very few spam going to it, now receives a lot of spam. :\

4. The premium service was something I wanted to test and it's pretty much going as much as I thought it would. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it since I don't really have time working on adding content for premium members.

5. Most of the other parts of the sites that were recently added, they're a little bit lukewarm on use. They can be removed as well, imo.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I will say that whatever will happen, the forum is staying as well as the oekaki, groupboard and of course, the tutorials.

Sylux
05-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I hate the forums but everything else is ok. I guess it would be cool if everyone could make their own video sections, Jaidurn and I would like folders for our increasingly large collection of Let's Plays.

Mr_Liebe
05-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Eh, it's okay, I guess. Has some pretty awesome, and friendly people, so I have no complaints.

Well.... no, there's that login glitch that occurs sporadically, other than that, you've created a nice site Rio.

GunZet
05-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Forums are my home, so naturally I love this side of the site. The main site has gotten a bit confusing though, and somethings I'm asked to sign in from there to get to the forum, which is kind of a bugger. I also very rarely use the other side of things, you know, the part that works kind of like a social art blog or something, yea.

But everything else feels a-okay, I'm not too picky.

Psy
05-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Wow one year allready.
The forum is my primary place of fun and concern tbh.
The main site and oekaki are like completely seperate entities that are balancing in harmony but could possibly be brought together more often somehow. The main site does seem like the FB of the art world but more complicated to me.
I would suggest a pop up or notice for PM's but I don't think many of the regular forum members visit both parts simultaneously so it may be pointless.

I like the forum as it is and don't think it needs anything extra added but that's because I can't really imagine anything you could add to the forum. I should hang around the main site more to see how things work.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-20-2012, 06:57 PM
I never missed the change in the forum and this place, in my mind, is fine. Speaking as one of the few (I think?) Premium Members, I say leave it. Yeah so were don't get much out of it, it's not like you're making any money off this site. It's nice to give you some money towards hosting, I feel like less of a mooch.

Sylux
05-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Maaaaaaaan I actually use the main site for stoofs. A lot of people really do.

ClockHand
05-20-2012, 08:40 PM
My problems are the connection between main site and forum. Better said, the connection between anything that is not the forum with the forum it self.

No advice for pms.

The size and weight of the images you can upload is very restricted.

No explanation to new users in how to use their profile, or no information about their status ones they have created an account. This come from the problem of restricting views to users without them knowing why.

Restrictions on views over a profile also restrict you in looking at their galleries.

You can get very few pms, so you are forced to be always deleting pms.

Sylux
05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah the 15 limit is ridiculous, and I would kill for PM pop-ups again. I also would enjoy a feature that allows banned users to review their infractions during their penance. But I would literally murder for phpBB again.

ClockHand
05-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Others problems I have are:

-The mixes done with users avatars, having some times avatar from others users.

-When I jump from the forum to my profile directly, its always broken. I go directly to my profile and the main site tells me it doesn't exist and force me to first go to the dashboard each time i want to go to my profile.

Matt
05-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I just looked at the video page, and I admit I haven't been there before. I rarely even go to the gallery, and if I remember correctly, I had to make a new account to use the Oekaki.

Also, I hate not being able to check my subscribed threads directly from the "What's New" page. Like, there's no button for it and I have to exit out of the search. Not a big deal, though.

Black_Shaggie
05-21-2012, 12:15 PM
You know what Rio? I have no complaints whatsoever about this site....and no...I ain't sucking up...this site is well thought out & managed on both sides. You don't really need a lot of fancy bells & whistles here. The community is what's up. I really like the forums & the contests are awesome! If I anything, I'd say get more (& better) tutorials.

Sylux
05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I would murder so many people to get the same dimensions as the new-old forum. I feel so restricted when there are like 3 inches of blue space on each side of the forum on my giant 1600x900 screen.

GunZet
05-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Really? Doesn't bother me much, and there's not many instances where you stretch things out, due to the scrollbars feature now.

Hayashida
05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I would murder so many people to get the same dimensions as the new-old forum. I feel so restricted when there are like 3 inches of blue space on each side of the forum on my giant 1600x900 screen.

poor baby, life must be hard with your giant screen

Sylux
05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
dude u have no idea

GunZet
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I got two 1600x900 screens, and it's noooot that baaaad maaaan.

Sylux
05-21-2012, 01:47 PM
It is horrible Gunzet you just make up for it by having two it is awful I tell you just a horrendous travesty

AlmanacnamedTime
05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
rio, tbh, some of the main site is a bit confusing. also the limit on file size for pictures is a bit annoying.

Outcast
05-21-2012, 06:38 PM

I kind of like the blue bars...

GunZet
05-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Blue whatever in the background is sorta trademark MT, lol. I think in the older versions it was a blue grid or something.

Sylux
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes it was a horrible white background with blue gridlines. That site is actually still up and you can post on it.

Rio
05-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah, the connection between the main site and the forum gets screwy when there's a lot of connections open to the site. It basically overloads the server and it has to be rebooted and the databases fixed. Happens once in a blue moon but still a pain none-the-less. :\

Anyways - I was considering rolling back the main part of the site back to the Wordpress version we had before. This forum can handle the PM system (yes, it has pop up ability), gallery, premium membership and something I haven't gotten around to yet but would like to make available: downloadable tutorials. Not sure about the video tutorials but I guess I can make a thread for each category much like the Inspiration of the Day thread (http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?2092-Inspiration-of-the-Day) and post it that way.

Shadowsfade
05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I like pretty much everything on the site, I visit most parts of it. I agree a bit about connecting the different sections a little more somehow (ie forum, main site and oekaki) as there seems to be different communities (though how you'd do im not sure!)

also, from the old site where there used to be 'featured art' along the side, updated a few pics every 2 weeks or so, i thought that was quite good (and as you said, the gallery is inundated with pics, so it'd be nice to have a way to see a selection of art?) but thats just my opinion (:

Rio
05-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I was talking to the guy who made the old Oekaki we used to have and he said that it's going to be very hard to merge the database of the Oekaki with the rest of the site so unfortunately, I can't connect the two together. :\

What I could do though is a Featured Oekaki Art, I think on the side or in a blog to drum up interest and bring the Oekaki at least in the eye of the main site. Regarding the Featured Art, yes, that was very popular. That was basically my solution to not having a Gallery. Now that everything is automated and randomly shows highlighted art, I guess I can see why it's not that special anymore. I'll have to think about this one...

Summary of comments so far:
- PM pop-ups
- no limit in PMs
- main site has gotten confusing
- everyone can make their own video sections
- change the forum from fixed width to flexible with so someone with a gigantic monitor can't see the eyesore of the edges
- leave the premium membership
- connection between main site and forum need to be better, especially the avatars
- restriction on viewing others pictures
- would murder for phpBB again
- more tutorials
- featured art at side of page
- connect the different sections better
- more contests

Also, I hate not being able to check my subscribed threads directly from the "What's New" page. Like, there's no button for it and I have to exit out of the search. Not a big deal, though. You have to go to Quick Links and select Subscribed Threads. <:

re file size limit>
There's a limit because you're in the free membership. If you sign up for premium, your file size limit will go up significantly.

trilokcool3
05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Hmm...
I wish i could get a longer shoutbox in the main site that will so some more older messages. Because some non forum/not regular forum guys can interact . Forums i will say is at its best.
Hoping SHOUTBOX WILL GET A BIT LONGER . :)

Rio
05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Ok, adding to list:
Summary of comments so far:
- PM pop-ups
- no limit in PMs
- main site has gotten confusing
- everyone can make their own video sections
- change the forum from fixed width to flexible with so someone with a gigantic monitor can't see the eyesore of the edges
- leave the premium membership
- connection between main site and forum need to be better, especially the avatars
- restriction on viewing others pictures
- would murder for phpBB again
- more tutorials
- featured art at side of page
- connect the different sections better
- more contests
- shoutbox is longer

Matt
05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Downloadable tutorials would be awesome. Having lived with dial-up and then up(?)grading to 3G, it's really nice to be able to download the tutorials at college or a library, stick them on a flash drive, and drive home to where my tablet is.

Sylux
05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
I like how you wrote the phpBB

toast
05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
The site is nice, I agree with what everyone's saying, except for Sylux's screen problem (CRT moniter, bitches). There have been a few glitches, but it seems like they've been fixed/are being fixed so it's all good. And about the Oekaki boards being like a seperate entity, to be honest, they've always been like that. The forums and the Oekaki boards are just two different communities. I went on just now, and I still see some members I've seen from like a year ago. I'm sure if they cared about the forums, they would have incorporated themselves into it.

Also, quick question, are we going to keep the old GB pic for nostalgic reason: http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/group-board/

I don't really care, but I'm wondering if noobs might find it confusing. Otherwise, I'm pretty excited about the PM popups, there was something about logging on and having a little popup notifying you of a message.

Sylux
05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Ugh Cathodes are soooooo 1980's. LCD-LED monitors are where it's at. Yeah. LED. As in Light-Brite. My alternate montor is a giant fucking Light-Brite.

Hayashida
05-22-2012, 09:16 PM
I've already suggested stuff on the main site, but to reiterate them again, customizing the forum a bit to make it look more personal rather than the standard blue thing and also some new dashboard themes on the main site.

Rio
05-23-2012, 10:42 AM
If you want new themes, I will have to get rid of some old ones. Anyways, this was something I was going to ask. It's time for a change. I'll post a poll up about which ones to keep or let go.

Re: Groupboard image> If you guys make a new one, I'll replace the image in that page.