PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Premonition

CypressDahlia
05-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Welp, I'm going to be depressed for a month...

ClockHand
05-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Cool, then I will be happy for that month.

Evil_Cake
05-09-2012, 01:55 AM
u beat it or wat?

CypressDahlia
05-09-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm guessing neither of you have played it if you don't know why. Probably one of the most disturbing, infuriating and saddening endings--ever. By piling on dozens and dozens of cliches the writer for this game has somehow managed to twist a knife so deeply in my side that I get sad every time I even remember it.

Evil_Cake
05-09-2012, 02:13 AM
oic ya it was rad

but if u are depressed just listen 2 this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

jubeh
05-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Do you feel it, Zach? My coffee warned me about it.

Kodos
05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Best game, right Zach?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27l7O_9lb0&feature=related

CypressDahlia
05-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Like the ending isn't even particularly well-written. It's just CRUEL. The writer went so far out of his way to make the ending as upsetting as possible. I mean I have seen endings that impacted me quite deeply with very little loss. Like the ending for the First Kingdom Hearts game--it was just overall well composed and, despite being minimalistic, very emotional. Nobody had to...

...get mutant-rape murdered...

...to make that ending an emotional one. In this case the ending was just so outright severe that it didn't need to be well-written to be heart wrenching. I'm STILL upset about it 48 hours later. Like SERIOUSLY? You had to do ALL of that? What kind of sadist writes an ending like that, what with the 5 straight minutes of taunting the player about the...

...inevitable rape-death of their would-be girlfriend, how much the rapist enjoyed it and how it was, in some part, your fault (because "take her to the hospital, she needs to have her stomach and liver cleansed" totally means "rape her"), and the totally necessary statement of how the rapist had just "finished" moments before you arrived...

...and to add insult to injury, the sudden revelation that...

...the same guy who just raped your girl also fucked your mom, causing both of your parents to die gruesome deaths right in front of your eyes, beat the crap out of you and left you scarred for life in both senses of the word...

...and to top it all off...

...he makes out with your slowly dying girlfriend right in front of you, who is, of course, still in a disheveled post-rape state, just to emphasize the overall depravity of the whole thing...

I honestly feel like the writer of this game tried to personally attack me. It wasn't so much an ending as it was a Saw-esque exercise in cruelty.

Oh, and not to mention the ridiculously upbeat segment where...

...your girlfriend is hanging out with her to-be rapist and slowly developing trust toward him, which is just EXTREMELY disgusting in retrospect given how needlessly saccharine that entire part of the game is what with the animal sidekick and the salsa pop....

...It totally sets you up to get wrecked by the ending.

Kodos
05-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Someone sounds angry, Zach. Maybe you should handle this?

CypressDahlia
05-10-2012, 02:11 AM
You're not wrong. I was raging like crazy during that entire chapter. But not really York-angry, though. As in, though I felt really bad for York, I was more upset on a meta-level. I was upset that the writer chose to be so needlessly over-the-top with it. It wasn't sad anymore it was just plain off-putting and cruel.

Kodos
05-10-2012, 02:19 AM
The ending was bitter-sweet and I have no problems with it at all and thought it was as fantastic as just about everything else in the game.

C...D... in the coffee!

Evil_Cake
05-10-2012, 02:20 AM
T_T

CypressDahlia
05-10-2012, 02:37 AM
The ending was bitter-sweet and I have no problems with it at all and thought it was as fantastic as just about everything else in the game.

IMO, there was nothing sweet about that ending.

The only redeeming things were supposed to be Kaysen's death (which was barely satisfying after everything he'd done) and Zach's restored personality. Except Zach still used York as a coping mechanism to deal with Emily's demise (pretending he, in some form, could be with her in some theoretical afterlife). So, in some way, he's still dependent on York. So you end the game with a dead girlfriend who went in one of the most undeservedly cruel ways possible and still can't shed your personality disorder. He basically went from being traumatized by one thing to being traumatized by another.