PDA

View Full Version : Driving a car. WTH!

Psy
04-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Ok so this thread is dedicated to the act of driving. As well as cars insurence and gas. Discuss it all!

Ok so I am about to be 23 and I can't drive.
I have my learners permit now finally but have really no reliable way of learning. I never actually needed a liscense to do anything. I allways bued a ride with a family member if they were going some where I needed to go it rode the bus. I stayed home thru out high school to take care of the house and the kids so I had no chance to take drivers education and my parents worked full time so no chance to get any practice behind the wheel prior to now. I have anxiety attacks so I'm sure I'm going to die driving and that has held me back as well. I have a job that is walking distance so again never really needed to drive myself.
NOW I need one to get a better job. Everything now requires a license and sometimes a car to even be considered. I allso need it for a possible promotion.

I have no reliable forms of learning to drive. Father works sister works mother goes out of town every couple days grandmother is not the best driver herself and works uncle would never let me anywhere near his car and friends have school work and kids so I cant call on them really. My only other option is to pay $300 for like 4 lessons at 1.5hrs ea. I only have $200 and one of my fillings just fell out so bye bye $200.
Now idk wtf to do. Any advice on learning?

Now tell your storie!!!

jubeh
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
I learned to drive when I was 23. You really only need an hour in a parking lot to figure out the basics. I took an online course in order to get certified for the actual driving test. You couldn't fail the written test if you tried.

jaidurn
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Uh, I'm 16 and I have my license so it's not that hard.

Hayashida
04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Go at everything at your own pace. And for when you're actually out driving, just keep your distance from the car in front of you and check your mirrors often, etc. It's pretty much just common sense.

AlmanacnamedTime
04-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I can drive, its nerve wracking until you get used to it.

Sylux
04-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah I learned how to drive in a parking lot. It's not too tough.

spidergoth
04-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Wow I can relate. I’ve always taken the bus around for years, I remember my father handing me the driver’s book at thirteen and little old me was eager to read it and time came around when I was fifteen and that ass never even taught me about driving…now at nineteen I literally went down to DMV this past Tuesday to get my permit and I fail the vision test -_-; my fault for not wearing glasses for the past six years…I have myopia, an astigmatism, and a slight lazy right eye (well only when I stare off into space…it sort of freaks people out sometimes)- I know it seems like a lot but I really don’t feel like I have bad vision…plus I look bad in glasses and the thought of putting contacts on *shutters*. Anyway looks like I’m going to have to get an eye exam on Monday to get glasses before I can test for a permit…I just hope I can find a pair of cat-eye frames because apparently they’re the best bet for my face shape. So I finally get promised for driving lessons this summer. I don’t know what you plan on doing, I hate the idea of driving schools seems like a big waste of money, really someone you know can’t take like a couple hours one day of a week to give you some instruction. Once (if) you get someone to help you with it I don’t think it’ll be that hard just relax and get used to it I mean my brother-in-law has a license and he’s the dumbest person I ever met in my life…then again two more tickets and it’s revoked forever.

Psy
04-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Ok so you all see my dilemma! It shouldn't be that hard to do if there are all these dumbasses on the roads out there! And yea seriously I have plenty of people around to ask but none want to make the time to let me use their car and learn. It's either "I don't have time" it's "I'm not a good teacher" or "you are way to tall for my car". Like seriously I'm tired of walking to work at 3:30am. I won't have my own car or anything but it's be nice to have the option to take the truck when available (despite me being to big for it *eye roll*).

Celestial-Fox
04-27-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm 17. I don't even have a permit.

When I did have a permit I was a horrible driver.

Ditched the van the fist time I sat in the driver's seat.

Driving is not my gig.

corastaur
04-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Seefy I totally understand! :/ I have a tendency to... almost (?) hit things when I drive. So I do drive, but the point is if I am allowed to drive you'll be fine. Also be afraid if you're ever driving in chicago since I might be on the streets...

WhenRabbitsAttack
04-27-2012, 12:46 AM
obviously, i can't drive,but i learnt the basics on an ATV around our friends farm. my best piece of driving knowledge: objects in front of you are closer than they appear. like the back of whatevers in front of you, for instance.

GunZet
04-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Living in the middle of the city, I have no real need to drive, as I either skate, walk, or take the lightrail everywhere I need to be, but I know eventually I'll have to drive. But I mean, sitting behind the wheel of something isn't my style, shit sketches me out.

Hayashida
04-27-2012, 01:04 AM
it just seems odd to you because you're not used to it yet

indescribable
04-27-2012, 02:21 AM
And yea seriously I have plenty of people around to ask but none want to make the time to let me use their car and learn. It's either "I don't have time" it's "I'm not a good teacher" or "you are way to tall for my car".

Bribe them?

WhenRabbitsAttack
04-27-2012, 02:42 AM
how tall r u psy?

CypressDahlia
04-27-2012, 05:01 AM
I have a license and a car but unless I'm picking someone up or giving them emergency rides I always opt to take the bus or metro.

Inksprout
04-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Psy, I decided to learn to drive after I moved out of home, so I had no one to take me. I ended up forking over money for weekly driving lessons, and then going to my parents house whenever I could to drive with them (In Australia you have to do 120 hours or driving before going for your liscense.) It was a massive money drain and I'm still not that great at driving. Moral of the story is just be glad you don't have to record 120 hours of driving before taking the test.

Psy
04-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Bribe them?

These bastards are exspensive. I'm like I'm all for say $20 in gas because I'm going to be using some of theirs up but not every freaking time or anything. Probably would be cheaper than driving school.

@Making: I'm 5'11.5" but 6'.5" with shoes and a lot of my height is in the legs because my knees are allways well above my lap when I sit in a car even when extended as much as possible. If I'm riding passenger I usually have to cross my legs in a lazy indian style so I'm not pushing into the seat infront of me or just to fit properly.

jaidurn
04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Man, I fit in a Geo and I'm 6'6". Most of my height is in my legs as well. You can totally fit in the vehicles enough just to pass a test and to get to work. I don't see what the problem is.

Psy
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't either. Everyone keeps telling me that "your legs should be in a comfortable position and not so bent so it just won't work driving my car". I think it's more exscuses not to teach me. Back to square one.

BozeSG
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
using a circus in uk is an utter pain in the arse... -_-

jaidurn
04-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Just punch them in the throat and take the keys. Drive safe and try not to look suspicious.

Evil_Cake
04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
u just gotta pay attention and not b impatient

pajamajam
04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
I learned to drive by taking my neighbor's van out on the road a couple times and then driving without a license for six months. You learn to be really cautious when getting pulled over could land you in jail.

Why not just get a little 50CC scooter or something? They're awesome, cheap, amazing on gas, and you don't need a license for them in most states.

Sylux
04-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Real men drive stick Psy. Do you have what it takes to be a real man?

indescribable
04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Why not just get a little 50CC scooter or something? They're awesome, cheap, amazing on gas, and you don't need a license for them in most states.

NOW I need one to get a better job. Everything now requires a license and sometimes a car to even be considered. I allso need it for a possible promotion.

Employment is laaame.

WhenRabbitsAttack
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
whay do you gain 6" in shoes? anyways the point of teaching u to drive should be hoew well you drive, not whether you're comfortable. that sounds really heartless, though. how much would it cost for drivers ed?

Inksprout
04-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Sylux, guess I'm a real man then

Psy
04-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Employment is laaame.

Why yes it is.

@Making: no 6'.5" so only an inch taller usually.
It's $75 for one behind the wheel lesson and it's for 1.5hrs. Most people I've talked to said they needed 2-4 lessons so it's like $300 for 4 lessons.

Screw your stick! I just need basics and I will be happy.

pajamajam
04-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Screw your stick! I just need basics and I will be happy.

Teehee.

When you're already scared shitless of being behind the wheel, trying to remember to shift is like the last thing you want.

Sylux
04-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Inksprout is a true man's man. I've beem driving a '95 F-150 and it is like. Wat. Why did I ever drive auto?

GunZet
04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't remember to shift gears in sims, and I know I damn well won't remember in a real car. Automatic for me, lol.

Bacon_Barbarian
04-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I fucking hate driving. I had a permit, kept it so long it expired. Got a new one on ... Wednesday. My dad is now going to make me go practice shit in the rain. Wee.

jaidurn
04-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Guys, I don't understand where the fear/hate of driving is. I love driving. I want to street race sometime to be honest

GunZet
04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Well for one, if you're new to driving, a number of factors could essentially turn your vehicle into a steel coffin, like not knowing what the hell you're doing, and not having confidence. Those people know to stay off the road for the time being.

The hate comes from gas prices and other conditions, lol.

jaidurn
04-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Honestly, if you understand your vehicle can kill yourself and others, then you're in the right mindset to drive, seeing as you'll be more careful with what you're doing.

And yeah gas is pretty high.

Sylux
04-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Yeah everytime I drive I'm like "I'm gonna die today. Better grab a burger before I do."

Bacon_Barbarian
04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Guys, I don't understand where the fear/hate of driving is. I love driving. I want to street race sometime to be honest

Because I fucking hate cars. I go on two hour car rides at least twice a week and I've been doing so such pretty much continually since I was 10. Before that it was only once a week, but still.

The less time I spend in cars, the better.

jaidurn
04-28-2012, 03:18 PM
When you're the one driving it gets a whole lot better though. :\

Sylux
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Driving is fun you guys are all just wimpy

GunZet
04-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I love getting around in an active kinda way.

corastaur
04-29-2012, 03:13 AM

Biking FTW! (although I managed to hit a car while riding my bike this summer... I left a dent. I basically suck at all forms of transportation...)

Inksprout
04-29-2012, 03:43 AM
Sometimes I hate driving when the traffic is really heavy and/or I get lost. I get freaked out when people are changing lanes everywhere without indicating or they cut me off. D:

corastaur
04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Sometimes I hate driving when the traffic is really heavy and/or I get lost. I get freaked out when people are changing lanes everywhere without indicating or they cut me off. D:

Ugh I know >.< I get the same way

Bacon_Barbarian
04-29-2012, 04:20 PM
When you're the one driving it gets a whole lot better though. :\
I just find it nerve racking. I've slammed the gas at least 3 times when I should've hit the break trying to park.

Celestial-Fox
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I've secretly always wanted to know how to skateboard for transportation. >.>
I like to bike, but my bike is broken. :<

I've made it a goal of mine to get my license soon. . . . Er, after I get my permit again.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Bike? In Alaska? How?

corastaur
05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
:cat_teardrop:

Evil_Cake
05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
chains duh

Celestial-Fox
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
At the DMV now. Just renewed my permit. Now I'm just waiting for my mom to finish some title transfer paperwork.

ClockHand
05-08-2012, 01:42 AM
I walk. That's my way of transport, just walk, walk every where and every place. And I'm not doing it because it healthier or some bullshit like that, I just do it because I don't want to waste money in public transportation.

GunZet
05-08-2012, 02:19 AM
And because it's healthier.

pajamajam
05-08-2012, 02:48 AM
I used to walk or bike everywhere. Then I got a car and got spoiled by being able to drive.

Sconethief
05-08-2012, 03:26 AM
I'm gonna be driving soon, I haven't gotten around to getting practiced enough to take the driving test.

Celestial-Fox
05-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Drove on the highway twice yesterday and on the backboards once. Somehow didn't manage to threaten pedestrians.

pajamajam
05-12-2012, 03:41 AM
It's hard to threaten pedestrians on back roads, and even harder on the highway. Try main streets and school zones next time you want to threaten people who are walking.

Seriously, though, it's awesome that you drove on the highway. I think that was the scariest thing in the world for me when I was learning how to drive. I was convinced that every time I passed someone I was going to crash and die.

Celestial-Fox
05-12-2012, 03:45 AM
I went on the main streets, too. But for some reason, people walking their dogs is really popular on back roads, and people hitchhiking is SUPER COMMON on the highways. So the probability of me hitting a pedestrian yesterday was 500&#37; lesser if I was actually in town. D:

And actually, the highway is my favorite place to drive because it's the easiest. It's one of the first places I drove when I started learning. I will say that highways are way different in Alaska than in the Lower 48, though. A highway don there would scare the crap out of me.

Sylux
05-12-2012, 09:13 AM
OH GOD WE'RE GONNA MERGE EVERYBODY HOLD THE FUCK ON TO SOME SHIT OHHHH GOOOOOOOD

Celestial-Fox
05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah, there are barely any merges where I live. But yeah, the only way to get out of my neighborhood is via highway, so I'm most comfortable with that. Everything else though. . . .

Black_Shaggie
05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Somebody merged into me 12 years ago & that was the last car I owned or dove. Screw it man. I'm like Clock. I walkabout like an Aborigine...but just to the bus & train stop.

Celestial-Fox
05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
You can't "just walk" to places in Alaska, because public transit isn't very effective and things are spread out hilariously far apart. Most people are employed 38 miles from where I live.

Psy
05-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Yay seefy drive to all the places!

I just went to Walmart with my sister and on our way out and behind Walmart I was forced into an impromptu driving lesson. It wasn't as bad as the first time. Made some turns and drove in a straight line and only crashed once right at the end (well almost ran up on a curb). Coulda drive home because it's not even 2mins away but I was all "lol nope". Then I came home and had a panic attack.

corastaur
05-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Why the panic attack? :( You ok?

I'm not a big fan of driving anymore... so far I've hit someone else's side mirror (it didn't break), a biker... longish story, and was almost hit by some idiot who didn't see me and tried to turn into my lane and into me. *ugh* driving is scary.

Mr_Liebe
05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of driving as people can be assholes!!! I swear, it's as if some of these jerk offs never heard about turning signals, they're unaware of the fact that Amber equals slow your ass down, bitch, and that talking on the cell phone whilst driving is idiotic, and that they may as well have drunk a shot, or two of whisky. Other than that, it's all good, jam a bit to tunes, winds blowing through your hair, putting the pedal to the metal, and really having fun cursing out people for the stupid things they do whilst driving.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
I just about had a heart attack earlier as some dumabass came barreling down a street at some angle that was totally obstructed from my view. Luckily I was being careful and managed to not get hit.

Fucker.

Celestial-Fox
05-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Psy: Oh no!! Are you alright?

Okay, people, I'm not gonna lie. I'm getting pretty smooth behind the wheel. Not like Sunny D kind of smooth, but sorta like that Japanese aloe juice with the solid aloe chunks in it. Yeah. Smooth. And chunky. AT THE SAME TIME.

ClockHand
05-22-2012, 01:14 AM
time for you to drive a trailerigloo.

Evil_Cake
05-22-2012, 02:04 AM
become an ice road trucker

Celestial-Fox
05-22-2012, 03:15 AM
time for you to drive a trailerigloo.
Igloos don't exist. :O

become an ice road trucker
Neither do these bumholios. Fun fact: The speed limit on North Slope ice roads is five miles per hour. Not ten. Not fifteen. Five. Make a show out of that, History Channel.

ClockHand
05-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Igloos don't exist. :O

WAT?! what now, that Santa doesn't live in the north pole or what?

Evil_Cake
05-22-2012, 03:30 AM
Neither do these bumholios. Fun fact: The speed limit on North Slope ice roads is five miles per hour. Not ten. Not fifteen. Five. Make a show out of that, History Channel.WAT?! what now, that aliens didn't help make pyramids or what?

Rio
05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Learning to drive the first couple of times is scary but you get used to it the more you drive. You basically have to reach a comfort level. The unknown is scary after all. What I think is most dangerous aside from other drivers is you being reckless, getting distracted, not paying attention, and basically being over-confident in your driving. :\

Oh, and whatever you do, do not move the steering wheel left and right very quickly one after the other. You're going to swerve like mad and if you're in a suv, there's a good chance you're going to roll over.

GunZet
05-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't think I'm going to be driving for the next couple of years, as long as I live in the middle of the metro.

jaidurn
05-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh, and whatever you do, do not move the steering wheel left and right very quickly one after the other. You're going to swerve like mad and if you're in a suv, there's a good chance you're going to roll over.

if you're in a suv, there's a good chance you're going to roll over.

you're going to roll over.

WELL FRICK.

Mr_Liebe
05-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Lol, ha ha ha, I remember when I first started driving.... kept getting distracted by all those lovely Eastern Euro women walking around in summer dresses..... mmmm.... damn..... shapely legs and shit man... uh anyways, remember don't ovrer correct, dude, that can be disasterous.

Celestial-Fox
05-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Pfft, I'm more comfortable driving the SUV. The roads here have deep ruts, everyone drives a truck/SUV, and four wheel drive is nice for the snow. It's way safer and easier to handle here.

Psy
05-22-2012, 01:55 PM
I can work thru something that is completely nerve wracking but I will have a panic attack later after its all thru and im relaxing. I know I can drive now and its not impossible anymore but im still like "get in the car? you're driving right?" i am going to do my best to keep getting behind the wheel tho, may have to beg honestly. Pray for me! All this so I dont get chased by dogs at 3:30am and open up my job opportunities. I should move to a bigger city with a subway and huge bus system.

corastaur
05-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I should move to a bigger city with a subway and huge bus system.

CHICAGO!!!! :D

We have some pretty rude drivers here tho 3:<

Mr_Liebe
05-22-2012, 02:44 PM
I think once you find your groove, you'll feel more at ease, and driving will come naturally to you. That's the way it worked for me, once I found a groove, I was set.... though, lol, I still go a tiny bit too fast sometimes.