PDA

View Full Version : JJJorgie's Realm of Art- Character Design Feedback

Pages : [1] 2

JJJorgie
04-21-2012, 11:05 PM
I mainly do pencil and ink work and my scanner isn't the best, so I apologize in advance for any bad quality.

Have at it!

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/04/JJJorgie-haran.jpg?t=4f937b02c2734

ClockHand
04-21-2012, 11:12 PM
can't see or there is nothing to see.

Egoslip
04-22-2012, 01:41 AM
The string of the bow should be behind the arm.. >.> if it is to be shot properly anyway..

Blue_Dragon
04-22-2012, 05:51 AM
I like the character so far. You might want to add a bit of dimension to her skirt, and the ties (make them a little more detailed.) Also, I think the line of her bow hand sticks in just a little too much (the left line.) Proportion wise, it looks pretty good! Clean up the lines a bit (hair and a few other places) and I think she'll be done :3

JJJorgie
04-22-2012, 08:51 AM
@ Egoslip: Thanks. I originally planned to have the bow strong behind her arm, but my pen slipped.

@ Blue_Dragon: Thank you for the critiques. I'll make sure to add some detail and clean it up.

Gaff
04-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Proportionally, her feet are a little small in comparison to the rest of her, but other than that, I think it's a good effort.

JJJorgie
04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
@ Gaff: Thanks. I'll be sure to enlarge them.

Here's another one. It's pretty sloppy because I did it in the car. Sorry.

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/04/JJJorgie-bending-90-pose-91.jpg?t=4f94905752f79

I'm already aware that her right ear isn't attched to her head and that her hands and the shading are crap.

Sylux
04-22-2012, 07:16 PM
eh not too bad, you're getting there

JJJorgie
04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks! I'm definitely trying.

Rainbow_Dash
04-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Your art is so much less sketchy than mine and I love steady lines <3 The angles you are doing are actually the ones I find hardest strangly enough and you are great at getting proportions. I hope we can help each other~! ^3^

Edit: Also the top ones legs me gusta.

JJJorgie
04-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks so much! My New Year's Resolution was actually to be able to draw a manga girl any almost any given pose. I love your drawings, too. Your details are simple, yet make the drawings fantastic.

JJJorgie
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM
I revised Haran (made the feet bigger, the lines cleaner, the ties more detail, and the bowstring go behind the arm.... and attemped to give the skirt more dimension):

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/04/JJJorgie-haran-revised.jpg?t=4f94c664573e7

Rainbow_Dash
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh yay~! It looks so much better now~! Moving the bowstring behind the arm made a big if not subtle difference. I'm not exactly good with feet so I'm not sure I can say much about them. But good job <3 Reminds me of Dungeons & Dragons for some reason.

JJJorgie
04-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Haha, thanks, Rin. It's still a far cry from perfect, but I'm getting there! :)

JJJorgie
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Here's my first drawing for the 100 Theme Challenge. Fire away!

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/04/JJJorgie-catgirl-5.jpg?t=4f99d9e4c557d

trilokcool3
04-26-2012, 07:39 PM
You can make the curves better around faces rather than making pointed.
Try it . And compare it.
Also work a little bit on hairs too .

Rainbow_Dash
04-26-2012, 07:44 PM
You can make the curves better around faces rather than making pointed.
Try it . And compare it.
Also work a little bit on hairs too .

^ I agree with this.

Also a little refining on the end of the tail. But your proportions are great >3< I probably should practice them...

JJJorgie
04-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks both of you! The sketch was more curved, but then came the pen and... but I'll definitely work on my technique!

trilokcool3
04-26-2012, 07:58 PM
As you are drawing with hand , pen and paper , may be your hand is shaking .
Some of your outlines says so.
Make your hands more free . Go for more smooth lines.
As for the shaking i always go for making blocks, squares , geometrical figures without using scale. So you can try too that might help .

JJJorgie
04-26-2012, 08:01 PM
I'll definitely try that. i think that i may also need to draw bigger. You can't tell from my psot, but the actual picture is only a few inches big.

spidergoth
04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I think its a good idea to draw bigger when you want to learn to proportion things but it can be difficult inking larger pictures. Also do you have a thinner pen, I think that would be better to use on the hair and facial features. Also you could try inking using gimp, it's something I started doing recently, it's more forgiving when it comes to mistakes unlike inking by hand. But it takes some time getting used to, a laptop pad is like using your finger as a pen so it's easier than with a mouse but I don't know what kind of computer you have. Other than that I think you're doing fine. Keep putting stuff out ^_^

Rainbow_Dash
04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
She inks in paint tool sai like me I think.

JJJorgie
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Haha, nope, Rin. I ink by hand.

@ spidergoth: I'm using an extra small Faber Castell pen. i don't know how much smaller I can go with it still being cheap. I'll try inking in Gimp, but, like you said, it's gonna take some getting used to. Thanks for the advice and support!

I did this last night before I read all the new comments and suggestions, so it's not that great, plus it was pretty rushed.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/04/JJJorgie-maid-8221.jpg?t=4f9b318763851

Rainbow_Dash
04-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I love it c: But I think the top right of her head, her right I mean, is a little skewed so it puts a bit of the image off. Cute though. ^3^ Reminds me of Kyou Fujibayashi mixed with Nagisa Furukawa. Kind of. :3

JJJorgie
04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Haha, yeah. i mean her that line on the right of her head to be her hair's part when I colored it, but I kind of just screwed it up.

Sylux
04-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Super long neck @_@ otherwise cool

JJJorgie
04-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks, Sylux. I didn't notice that before.

Sylux
04-30-2012, 12:02 AM
It's what I'm here for bruv

JJJorgie
05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Gosh, I just really don't know how to color online. Any tips, suggestions, help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-sleeping-girl-colored.jpg?t=4fa1ed49d7cd4

Shadowsfade
05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I still really suck at colouring digitally so i cant really offer you much advice o.o what programme do you use? My suggestions are a. watch lots of youtube videos about colouring for the programme you're using, you can learn a lot, and b. just do lots of practice, experiment with different tools and see what effects you can do. Maybe stop by the lineart bank on the forums here, and practice colouring other peoples' lineart too, as then you dont have to spend all the time drawing a picture to actually colour.

I really like this picture, and can't really see much to critique :) maybe try adding a few more folds / shading to the dress/nighty and the sheets?

JJJorgie
05-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, Shadowsfade. I'll try out some videos. I know I definitely won't master it overnight. :) Oh, and I'm using GIMP

Sylux
05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Dear god I abhor the "good-ol'" GNU Image Manipulator for all other purposes than reference production and texture tilemapping modifications... But whatever floats your boat.

JJJorgie
05-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Well, Sylux, why don't you enlighten me. What do you prefer?

Sylux
05-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Paint tool Sai but nobody else is really with me on that. That and photoshop for image manipulations. Adobe Flash is one of my faves though for animation, and good ol' paint can do the job good sometimes.

JJJorgie
05-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks, I'll check them out.

nisaren
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree with Sylux. Paint Tool Sai is really nice for drawing and doing line work. I personally prefer Photoshop or Corel Painter for painting because they are more powerful programs but I love sketching and doing linework in SAI. It's not very expensive either. GIMP can be okay, but you really need to spend a lot of time learning it. I don't know if any one asked before, do you have a tablet you're using as well?

spidergoth
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
For me Sai is better for painting and gimp I use for linearts but idk that's me.
And also for pointers for digital coloring...not that I'm any good at it myself, but anyway it seems you like to do cellshading and programs aside the biggest problem people seem to have with cell shading is using colors too close to one another, don't be afraid to use a darker shade. Just that makes it look alot better then ofcourse its about remembering your light source so you can carefully place the shadows.

JJJorgie
05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks so much for all the help! And, nisaren, I don't have a tablet. I've been using the fingerpad on my laptop.

Sylux
05-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Oh jeez that's good for the fingerpad. You oughta post some pencil sketches.

JJJorgie
05-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Sure thing!

JJJorgie
05-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Well, these are some pencil sketches for you, Sylux.

My scanner's been acting up so there are some strange dark spots.

This is a sketch of my friend that i drew on a bus ride.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-pose-1.jpg?t=4fa6caceb14a8

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-pose-2-3.jpg?t=4fa6cb0a92bd9

Tetsuphil
05-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi, :D

First of all, I appreciate your art, I see that you are making effort to give life to your characters by giving poses, which is a good thing to do early. Your proportions are good but they need work.

I see that you like to draw girls, it's all you've sent up to date. It's not a bad thing of course, unless it's truly all you draw. If thats the case I'd suggest you to vary. For the dark spots, a program like photoshop or gimp could fix that if you play with the levels.

On your last two pictures:

First girl: I dunno how she is sitting, her legs sorta feel weird, it might be because of the way you drew the right foot/leg, but im not sure. And I'm not sure of what's she's doing with her hands, other than that I like it xD

Second girls: The hands need work. I suggest you to draw separate hands on a sheet to practice with pictures or your hand as reference.
The pose is okay but her left arm feels stiff, but it's prolly cauz you wanted her to make it look like shes pulling her robe. The shoulder might not be wide enough, and the head doesnt fit like it belongs to the neck(which might be too long), but hey, it might be the way you drew the head, I dunno. It's kind of hard to say exactly, unless id do a redline study :U You also need to be a bit less narrow/lazy in your details sometimes, spend more time making curves and, unless it's the style you want to give to your shapes, stylish drawing with simple narrow spots can look great but it's up to you. Things that are close to the "screen" Need definition you know xD Cauz I can see the narrow triangle elbow.

Well to conclude, Id suggest you use guidelines for you faces and poses to make em fit. But hey, keep drawing and have fun, you're doing great!

If someone else can tell more precisely what I try to say, It'd be cool xD

JJJorgie
05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Neither of these are even close to completion. They're just rough sketches, both of which I did in moving vechiles explaining the crappy lines. Also, i think the second girl's hand probably would have looked a lot better if I'd had an eraser at the time, but I DO need to practice hands. I have been varying what I draw, but I've been too embarassed to post any male characters.

The first girl was the one of my friend. I just drew her how I saw her. We were both at weird angles, though. Her hands are holding each other (I think...)

A lot of people have been saying that my necks are long, but that's really just my style and when I try shortening the neck it feels weird.

I appreciate all the critiques and that you took the time to write it all. I'll definitely work on what you said! :)

Rainbow_Dash
05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Jorgie Jorgie Jorgie! ^3^ You're improving so much and fast too~! Hehe c: I'm glad you're still uploading and I love everything you draw~! <3 Though I don't think I can give anything as in depth as Tetstuphlielblah c: .

JJJorgie
05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Haha, thanks! You're improving a ton, too! I love your uploads, too! Don't ever stop!

Tetsuphil
05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
You did make cleaner work before, but many things I mentionned still apply but ill wait until the next upcoming stuff to crit :>

JJJorgie
05-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm kinda scared to post more stuff now :)

Rainbow_Dash
05-06-2012, 07:58 PM
D'aww why? Just do it! It's good for the soul! ^3^

Tetsuphil
05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
D'aww why? Just do it! It's good for the soul! ^3^ I don't wanna be off subject, but, is there a meaning behind Tetstuphlielblah? I really would like to know :D

And about the neck, I don't think the problem is always the lenght of those necks, think the problem is the way you draw em and connect em to the heads, but as I said, we'll see with your next stuff :p

Rainbow_Dash
05-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Nope! And I think you replied to the wrong message xD

Tetsuphil
05-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Naah, I was sorta talking to the two of you at the same time..Sorta xD

Well, I'm gonna stop being off-topic now. -flies off thread-

JJJorgie
05-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Well, here's some male body practice. It's not too good.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-male-body-practice.jpg?t=4fa89a1c64739

doghateburger
05-09-2012, 05:05 AM
The overall figure is there, just the proportion needs some work. Head to chest is ok, but the lower torso is way too short. Trying googling anatomy measurements or something like that.

JJJorgie
05-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks! I will

Shadowsfade
05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Liking the pencil sketches and stuff :) I agree that the upper torso is too small, and feel that maybe the neck is a little thin?

JJJorgie
05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Okay! I'll try thickening that up a little next time!

Egoslip
05-09-2012, 11:41 PM
If you widen the hips to line up with the inside of the arms (Under arms).. then the legs will want to be longer and it will look more balanced... plus It looks like his pecks go all the way down to the bottom of his ribs.. be careful with this.. the muscle for the chest is a little smaller then half the length of the rib cage... Also, you're stomach is way too low because of how large the chest muscles are.. the stomach should sit right on top of the hips, think of a pregnant woman and how her hips cradle the unborn child! I suggest studying how the rib cage and pelvic bones.. interact with one another.. you'll learn tons considering the hips and ribs are the main building blocks of the human body :) Looks good though, it's a solid start! Keep it up man! :D

JJJorgie
05-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Wow, a lot of things to work on! Thanks for all the help, Ego!

I was trying out a new view. I'm not that good at drawing from above or below, so any advice would be awesome! thanks!
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-downward-view-sketch.jpg?t=4fab3df0caec5

WhenRabbitsAttack
05-10-2012, 04:57 AM
hi jorgie! this perspective looks quite cool! his head seems slightly off centre with his body,though. also the clavicles should be represented underneath the shirt as the are actually quite obvious from the top. :D

on your male body practice, i also think the proportions are a bit skewed. it you want to learn how to portray muscles and stuff properly, there are some good anatomy tutorials, and i have one pending specifically for how to draw muscles and the male body ;D keep a look out and nice work!

JJJorgie
05-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah the male body practice was pretty terrible, but I've been doing a lot since then and I think I've kind of figured all the muscles out! I'll try to get around to scanning them soon.

ram
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Head > Neck> torso> stomach> <strike>hips</strike>> legs

Wait what happened to the hips? anyways try going to posemaniacs.

for the top view guy.. I have nothing to say to it exept for the ear.

WhenRabbitsAttack
05-11-2012, 04:20 AM
well... real models are really good for drawing guys :cat_love: jk ;P
but a book on real human anatomy helps as a general references guide, and you can stylise it to fit the way you draw. i have a university-grade art references book, and though i love it more that anything, you probably don't need that much detail :3
also, keeping all drawings of anatomy studies serve as an awesome reference point if you're stuck ^-^

JJJorgie
05-12-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm getting better at feet!

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-more-male-anatomy-practice.jpg?t=4faefb8a0395f

AlmanacnamedTime
05-12-2012, 08:18 PM
legs&feet are looking good. check arms. Have references (http://www.posemaniacs.com/)

JJJorgie
05-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I actually use your reference site for the body. The arms weren't my focal point, so I kind of did them sloppily, but I'll work on them!

WhenRabbitsAttack
05-12-2012, 11:25 PM
his hips are to wide in relation to his shoulders.for a girl, that would work perfectly, but the hips are always smaller than the shoulders on a normally prportioned male.

Rubisko
05-13-2012, 04:10 AM
The hips/shoulder ratio is actually quite ok. They're 3:2, and that's considered to be quite wide shoulders, so if anything the hips could be wider. You'll want to check the size of the rib cage though, the distance between the navel and the lowest part of the middle of the cage (or xiphoid process) is actually about half the distance between the navel and the crotch. And the navel is in the correct place already, in line with the hips, so you'll have to make the rib cage longer.

This last thing might be what's confusing you Mayma, a woman's navel is placed in line with her waist, while a man's navel is placed lower, in line with his hips.

WhenRabbitsAttack
05-13-2012, 04:25 AM
also, they widest point on the bottom of the body is on the outer leg as opposed to the actual pelvic bone. when i measured against that point instead of the pelvis, it was equal to the shoulder. i know girl's legs do that but i'm not sure boys do.

JJJorgie
05-13-2012, 10:24 AM
@Rubisko: Rib cage longer, gotcha! Thanks!

@WRA: I'll look and see if male legs to that. I don't think it's that bad if they do, though.

JJJorgie
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Here's a little cyborg I drew up. The foot(too small and positioned wrong) and hands aren't that great and I kinda messed up the mouth :/

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-cyborg-8222.jpg?t=4fb19327081fe

Rainbow_Dash
05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Oh gawd, your cyborgs anatomy makes so much more sense than mine. Wahaha, I just sorta do lines everywhere until it looks awesome. :,3 ... Anyways, I think his right jaw might need to be a little bit more broad and his foot is angled too far out, it should be facing closer in this direction. c: Then again, considering he's a cyborg and he has a gyroscopic foot, he can put it on any angle he wants. Wahah~. ^3^

JJJorgie
05-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Sadly, that foot isn't gyroscopic :( Haha, I knew it was angled wrong, but I couldn't quite figure it out so I just gave up, but angled more towards us, gotcha (thanks!) I'll make his jaw broader, too. I'm not too good with faces or heads, so thanks! :D

JJJorgie
05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Here's a face I colored. I think the highlight on her left cheek may be too low, but I don't know much about coloring. Any tips would help!

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-face-11.jpg?t=4fb436a8336c5

doghateburger
05-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Try to add more shades and contrast ;D

Looking at reference to identify where the shadows would generally fall would help as well

ram
05-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Man I do have problems in face coloring as well, specially when I look into references, I'm copying their faces and it seems that they have that highlight on their cheek but there's actually none when I use eye drop, it's probably the slight blush on the lower cheek..

But no matter what I do I can't do the exact same thing!

for the crit, do some shadows in the eye whites and make the eye balls darker on the top side.

for the skin were on the same boat.

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the critiques, guys!

With this one's skin and face, I totally forgot the advice so it looks pretty terrible. *headdesk* Anyways, here it is:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-marabelle.jpg?t=4fbe5d64c5d49
I was focusing on the coloring, so the anatomy is good.

Gaff
05-24-2012, 02:16 PM
The shading on her jumper looks good, but be careful about the width of her upper body - think about the space her lungs would need, if that helps any. Her left land is a little wide though. Try and bring the bottom of her pelvis in line with her wrists too.

Other than that, it's looking not bad. I wouldn't get too hung up on shading the skin at this stage.

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the anatomy tips! Yeah, I kinda rushed the body to get to the coloring :/ haha, I should really slow down!

And, here's a new sketch of mine. My refernce was kind of blurry :l
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-hair-flipped-back.jpg?t=4fbe7ffd553f8
http://data.whicdn.com/images/11852496/122d4879bdc9d1be2d0e63d9cb18e2b6_thumb.jpg
I think the ear's too low (?)

Rubisko
05-24-2012, 03:55 PM
The ear is not necessarily too low; the thing is that the top of the face, brow eyes and ear has one perspective going, while the bottom of the face(bottom of nose, mouth, chin), the jaw and neck follows another perspective entirely. If you want more substance than that I need too see the reference :)

Oh, and I see you're starting to be comfortable with your tablet too (in the previous posts). That's good :)

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I see what you mean about perspective. Sorry, I completely forgot to upload the reference. And, yes! I am getting more comfortable with a tablet :)

Demonfyre
05-24-2012, 07:20 PM
That is one awesome sketch of a head :D I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to critiquing so sorry if I point out something that is completely irrelevant, I need to start somewhere I guess :L

Anyway on the drawing above the head sketch (done with the tablet i'm sure) all I can suggest is that maybe where you've made the legs join with the torso is a little bit to high and maybe should be lowered a bit so where they meet isn't hidden by the jumper she is wearing. If I need to elaborate please let me know :)

Oh and on a side note is it hard getting used to a tablet?

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the critiques. Like I said, I was focusing more on the coloring, than the girl's body :) I wasn't necessarily difficult getting used to the tablet. I was different. I feel like I have less control with the pen than when I have a real pencil in my hand (I guess I'm just more familiar with the latter :) ) I, also, feel like I can't see the whole picture at the same time which may be due to the fact thatt I'm watching the screen with my hand out of view. The picture of the girl was only my like 7th tablet drawing, so it didn't take long to get decent with a tablet.

Demonfyre
05-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Your very welcome :) and sorry for neglecting to read that you were concentrating on the colour :/ I probably should skim through the thread before posting further :P the colouring looks good by the way ^_^

Getting used to a tablet sounds difficult :o I think I will continue to improve my skill at drawing and become more confident before I try computer rendering and using tablets etc.

JJJorgie
05-29-2012, 07:29 PM
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-girl-with-sword.jpg?t=4fc55b67f41fc
^The thumbs in the wrong place :/

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/05/JJJorgie-alien-2.jpg?t=4fc55b8fc8964
The bandages are kind of wierd.

Demonfyre
05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
All I can suggest is that in the first picture where the legs join the torso you could bring that area down a fraction (or maybe raise the hips a bit), I think that would improve it :) and the second one appears fine to me :) although... one eye and three breasts :P anyway they both look awesome as always :D

trilokcool3
05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Loving the second one. Omg she got 3 !!!
Nice and anatomically good .
About the first . I think you made lot of hairs for her . Decrease the volume of her hair because head is looking way too big for her body .

JJJorgie
05-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Thank you both very much! I thought the crotch line (?) should be lower, but I wasn't for sure. And, the hair is pretty big; I'll make sure I look for that in my future drawings!!!

Shadowsfade
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Bit delayed on my part, but I love that picture of the girl's head on the previous page!

For the two pics above, love the bottom one, not really anything stands out as wrong for me, for the top one, i think that her body (her middle in particular) is too thin in comparison to her head. Her middle tummy bit is very thin indeed - unless this is a stylised thing for you. nice hand drawing though! (I still fail miserably at hands o.o)

Regantor
05-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Monster girls, huh?

Hummm... Alrough the limbs are generally pretty good, it seems to be the actual joins with the torso are the thing that lets you down more often than not. Might be worth trying to think of things as a three-dimensional object rather than just a flat shape, in the future.

The mugshot of the girl was quite nice too, considering that's the hardest angle to do. If the chin line ended just before the ear, and was a little lighter, it would probably solve alot of things.

Either way. Keep up the good work, dude. ;I

Rubisko
05-30-2012, 05:01 PM
It probably wasn't what you were going for, but that last one made me think immediately of Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-breasted whore of Eroticon VI

But for crititique: what Reg said + make sure that you make the torso roomy enough so that you can fit intestines and organs inside. As it is the topmost one in your last post looks rather famished. She doesn't have much of a pelvis either

JJJorgie
05-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Thank you all very mch for the critiques!!! I definitely try to work on them in the future!!!

Cloudy
05-31-2012, 03:43 AM
love them! seeing a lot of improvement here! watch the hip width and length in the first pic, just a tad on the small side

JJJorgie
06-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks so much, Cloudy!!! It very appreciated!

I've been trying to draw skinnier males. I don't really like drawing super muscular ones. Unfortunately, I really suck at drawing any type of male body :( Here's a really quick sketch I did with my tablet (which I'm still not used to yet). Sorry that it's so messy! It's past midnight and I'm exhausted :|. Anyways:
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6947/quickmalesketch.jpg
Have at it! I really need some help!!

trilokcool3
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Increase body volume.
Nice one with face.
You got exhausted and seems the character too. Ha ha ha
don't do drawings when exhausted and in no way mood.

Rainbow_Dash
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh wow. You've improved a lot Jorgie Jorgie Jorgie~! I'm glad you're drawing a lot ^3^ <3 Waha. Hmm... I'm not so good at critiquing but I can see something odd about the body. I'm not quite sure though.

Regantor
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Hum. Well he's definitely cute-ish, and the hair is nice. The chest and the shoulders could do with a little buffing up, through, since those things are just natural assets of the male body, even if they aren't so muscular.

Hope that was helpful. ;I

JJJorgie
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks all three of you. All the critiques were helpful and very appreciated. I have a new sketch I did when I was more awake that I'll try to post soon!

Demonfyre
06-01-2012, 07:49 PM
More art from you to critique :D! And I know the feeling... males are my weak point too (if you exclude the large list of things i'm still working on :P). Anyway you need to broaden out the hips a tad more I think (not to the extremities of female however), even though your drawing a male its almost going in a straight line from top to bottom. Also try to make your lines more angular unlike females where they flow, it should help to distinguish between the genders.

Looking forward to your new sketch :)

JJJorgie
06-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Here's my newest male sketch. I tried to make it a little sharper. I think the neck's too long, though...
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-just-a-guy-in-a-muscle-shirt.jpg?t=4fcbfeb221065

And, the colored version:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-just-a-guy-in-a-muscle-shirt-colored.jpg?t=4fcc314c57334
I'm quite proud of his eyes. I don't know why, though :)

Raikov
06-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Needs more work with shoulders, and try not to make the lines too defining like on the collarbone c; The chest shouldn't pop out like that and the jaw is a tad bit too small. I kinda like his expression. Good job :D

JJJorgie
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks. I'll try broadening the shoulders next time. I used my smallest pen for the collarbone, so I don't know what I'll do with it next time. And, what do you mean by the chest shouldn't pop out?

Demonfyre
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I think Raikov means is you have the chest extended out the way like you would do with the breasts on a female when they should lie flat. Nice looking character :) an improvement from the previous one and the thing I noticed on this but it may be down to personal taste but I think the neck is slightly too long, other than that and the chest, brilliant job :D

ScarletHue
06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
His neck looks pretty thick for the style your going for in my opinion. The major thing for me though is how square the chest muscles are. I'd suggest some life drawing or pose drawing at least to get a feel for real human anatomy and clothing.

JJJorgie
06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks both of you.

@Demonfyre: Okay, flat chest. Yeah, I already noticed the length of the neck.

@Scarlet: Yeah, I thought may be the neck was too thick, so thanks for the confirmation. :) And, I looked at some references after I finished the picture and posted it, and i saw how the chest muscle should look. I hope to draw them better next time.

Raikov
06-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Have you tried "pen cutting"? this might seem like a stupid thing to do, but. Cut the tip of your pen in a slanted position, it'll make different strokes depending on how to put down the pen :D Also use quick and lifting strokes.

JJJorgie
06-05-2012, 03:49 AM
I don't think I have the pens you're thinking of.

Raikov
06-05-2012, 04:17 AM
What kind of pens do you use? fountain pens? ball point? Or the artline pens?

JJJorgie
06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Faber Catell PITT artist pens

JJJorgie
06-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Here's another one. I'm really proud of the coloring I've been doing lately. It's not the best, but it's definitely improving! :)
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-warm-colors.jpg?t=4fd03b16079d7

Rubisko
06-07-2012, 01:55 AM
And so you should be, you have improved a lot :) The stone is especially good, you have identified it as a cube-ish shape and painted it correctly with a clear definition of the edges. What's left is for you to learn how to paint the form of a cylinder and apply it to the cylindrical shapes.

Also, make a habit of drawing the cast shadow on the ground, even if you don't draw a background

JJJorgie
06-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Thanks very much! I'll definitely work of cylinders and ground shadows!

Demonfyre
06-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Wow the colouring is amazing :D and your getting much better at drawing bandages :) the only thing I can suggest is maybe is to study swords and see how they reflect light and are shaded etc, very rarely do you find perfectly flat swords usually because of structural reasons and such, other than that awesome as always :)

JJJorgie
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks very much!! I did try to add shading but everything got blended and blurred when i tried to make it appear to be glowing :/

Raikov
06-09-2012, 06:56 AM
You are using digital, right? for colors. If yes, then when you are shading, make sure there is some contrast, this will help it appear more c; and when you make the glowing technique, create a new layer, go over the sword with a soft brush, and have the opacity around 50-60&#37;.

Very good job on the pic, btw, loving the folds on the pants C:

JJJorgie
06-09-2012, 12:07 PM
I actually did make a new layer for the sword and set the opacity for, I think, 55&#37;. I don't think I adding enough shading to the main thing.

Rubisko
06-09-2012, 01:15 PM
This is something that probably won't expand your knowledge about art as it is, but a fun trick to do in PS (you use photoshop right? or is it GIMP?) is to set the blending mode of a layer to "color dodge". Try it, cool stuff will happen. Oh, and put something like a photo or one of your paintings on a lower layer, nothing will happen if you got like a white or black background

JJJorgie
06-10-2012, 12:45 AM
I use GIMP. But if I can do it, I will.

JJJorgie
06-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Well, my scanner broke, so I can't upload my better drawings for awhile. I tried actually drawing (not just coloring) with my tablet, but I'm not very good at it. Anyways, here's my attempt. The shading's pretty sloppy, especially on the face. I'll probably redo it, if I feel up to it later.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-tablet-drawing-practice.jpg?t=4fd7d2cb62052
Her left shoulder looks kind of weird shrugged like so and the collar bone doesn't seem right. The dress/shirt thing also appears strange. I probably should have added a few folds/creases.

Demonfyre
06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Looking good :D keep up your awesome work! A few pointers;

> The type of clothing she is wearing usually wouldn't extend so high up to meet the arm pit, normally you would see a bit of the skin which joins the breast and arm or a skin fold* and I suppose depending on the top and the pose some of the arm pit (for lack of a better name) may be revealed as well. If you look up tank top in Google and look at the models you should see hopefully what I mean :)

*Unsure if that is the correct term

> Also I would suggest adding some clothing folds, fortunately you cut the lower half so you miss most of that criss-cross area at the bottom of the top but you may be able to fit some around the base of the breasts (depending again on the top however)

That seems to be it :) i'll post if I find anything else. Hope I helped :D

JJJorgie
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks! Like I said, I noticed the lack of folds :) I'll fix that shortly.

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-13-2012, 02:14 AM
james said most of the stuff i was gonna say, but the only other thing i can see is that the perspective on her face is slightly wrong. her eyes are mostly fine, but the eye closest to us should be slightly closer to the center of her face, and the mouth and nose should be higher up. also, from this angle, the ears should be especially prominent.

hope it helps :3

JJJorgie
06-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Thanks, WRA. I think the eyes look in perspective. There's nothing really I can do about the facial features at this point. Next time'll be better.

JJJorgie
06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Okay, here's a picture I did for my little sister's friend. The legs and arms of the girl on the right are wacky because my hand was wigging out when I was trying to ink it.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-psychedelic.jpg?t=4fdb7c485c236
I had a lot of fun with the clothes and the background!

Bacon_Barbarian
06-15-2012, 04:36 PM
That girl on the right is pretty tall, as she stands 7 heads. Most women ... Are less. Not sure what it is exactly though.

Demonfyre
06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
What BB said and you already mentioned the legs but you also have thin hips especially when the right character is almost 7 heads tall and like ram pointed out to me, your hips width = shoulder width (however he also said this could be stylistic thing) you could try to increase the hip width so the hip width is larger than the shoulder width or reduce the shoulder width a fraction (however I think the shoulders look good as they are) :)

Definitly looking very good, especially since you fitted two characters into the same scene :D and the colouring, clothing and background just conveys fun to me xD I hope this helped you :)

Rubisko
06-15-2012, 05:53 PM
That girl on the right is pretty tall, as she stands 7 heads. Most women ... Are less. Not sure what it is exactly though.

Most artists accept 8 heads as the ideal for males, and slightly less than 8 (around 7 and 2/3) for females, so I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to call BS on that one Bacon, 7 heads is perfectly alright.

Anyway JJ, I really like the psychadelic patterns, especially the yellow and purple pants :) Your line art is really blocky, but the colors and patterns are smooth, so I'm kind of wondering why. I know that PS got this pencil tool that I really don't know why it's there, because the brush tool is so much better for everything. The pencil is a bit blocky if I remember correctly, and I don't really know how the tools in GIMP work, but maybe it could be because something like that? If not you should try to draw in the highest resolution possible without slowing your computer down (well, you should try to do that anyway, cause it's nicer, and nicer means more satisfying)

Edit: @Demonfyre: Sionce I've already left a critique on BB:s critique I might as well do the same to you :P I'm really rude today :)
Hips are never(or maybe I should say rarely to be perfectly sure) wider than the width of shoulders on a real woman, so that's a stylistic thing.

JJJorgie
06-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Rubisko. The reason the hips are thin is because the girls are my 12 sister and her friend. Also, the lineart's blocky because it was done traditionally and was scanned in, but my scanner's really weird.

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-16-2012, 01:15 AM
@Demonfyre: Sionce I've already left a critique on BB:s critique I might as well do the same to you :P I'm really rude today :)
Hips are never(or maybe I should say rarely to be perfectly sure) wider than the width of shoulders on a real woman, so that's a stylistic thing.
tell that to pear-shaped women

structurally, the pelvic bone is never wider than the shoulders, but excess of fat and/or shape of the body can make the hips wider than the shoulders. women store fat primarially on the hips ,thighs, tummy, breasts between the shoulder blades so an overweight women/ women who stores fat on the thighs and hips more than anywhere else will have wider hips than shoulders.

Demonfyre
06-16-2012, 08:43 AM
@Rubisko - Yes and I did say it's stylistic but still its something to look out for hence why I pointed it out in my post :L and what WRA said :P oh isn't biology a wonderful subject :D

@JJ - Ah that makes sense :)

JJJorgie
06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
This was the first time I colored on the GB! The colorings not the best since I'm not that familiar with the GB's tools. Her eyes are different size (oops) and her left arm looks kinda wierd. Oh, and I also forgot highlights.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-first-colorings-in-gb.png?t=4fdf6e42b1e2e

Demonfyre
06-18-2012, 06:00 PM
You've pretty much pointed out everything that I noticed other than maybe the right breast starts going up in a long straight line and that it starts heading upwards too early I think, the left one looks right :) hope that makes sense :P good job for your first GB colouring :P hope I can join you when I get my tablet :)

Edit: Oh also, because you have the arm lifted you would see a bit of the tendon* at the armpit being stretched so you could put a line running parallel with the arm and curving to meet the breast :)

* I think

JJJorgie
06-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks! I was thinking about that tendon line, but I wasn't for sure about the placement. I do hope you get that tablet soon :)

Demonfyre
06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
If i'm lucky I should have one by Wednesday... hopefully, and as long as I don't start regretting the decision :P yeah that tendon line can be hard to place, I have had little success with its placement in my attempts :/

Sutari
06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
I saw this one! Its very nice. And you did well on her midsection/legs. The GB coloring tools will become easier as you use them more!
This one only has a few small issues, easily fixable.

These are just things i noticed. I may be totally wrong!

1. The straps going over her breasts should follow the curve OF the breasts

2. her left (our right) eye is smaller than the other one, but you noticed that already.

3. The problem with her arm is that her armpit area is too fat. Her tricep area should keep its narrow-ness(is that even a word) all the way until connecting to the breast line

4. The crotch folds in her shorts already work, but it looks unnatural somehow. maybe get rid of the middle line on the thigh closest to us?

Please keep it up. MT went a long time without artists who actually wanted to improve and stuck around :) THOSE WERE DARK AGES

JJJorgie
06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Hahaha, thanks so very much for the critiques and encouragement! I'm going to go fix those things up right quick right now!

Here it is:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-first-gb-coloring-edited.png?t=4fdfd64313a40
I tried fixing the eyes, but I might have made them worse. Oops, and I forgot to add the tendon/armpit line thingy

JJJorgie
06-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Here's a picture that I did the Oekaki contest going on right now. I already had to recolor it twice because it won't send in, so I decided to just snip it off the screen and have it as a drawing.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-oekaki-peacock.png?t=4fe1f0c899e35
I'm aware she has no ears or eyebrows. Her lips and nose were supposed to be black, but some layers merged and I had to erase a lot of white and I just didn't get all of it. Also, it seems like the body and the head just don't fit together, but I don't know why.

Demonfyre
06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
The girl with the peacock headdress looks awesome :D apart from what you've already mentioned I can't see anything wrong with it, you could possibly have added some more creases in the dress around the breasts base if you wished :) also with this head and body not fitting together maybe if you added a more rounded muscle on the shoulder of the left arm so it's like with the right arm if you know what I mean? Maybe that would work :)

And you already mentioned everything on your other drawing and you fixed the breast :) looking forward to your next picture :D

JJJorgie
06-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the critiques and comments! I should have another one up shortly! :)

JJJorgie
06-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Here's a perspective practice sketch. It's still a WIP. I know some of the lines are a tad off from the vanishing point, but it's kind of hard to do with a line tool (I haven't found one on GIMP). Is there anything that sticks out really bad?
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7784/perspectiveandscenery1.jpg
I have no idea what's with the giant lamps on the side of the street :)

Also, a pretty dumb question: How do I change the title of the thread?

Demonfyre
06-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Double click the thread :) Only problem is its very sketchy, for perspective drawings involving lots of straight lines I recommend a graphics board for sceneries which are clean and box like, fortunately I spent the majority of graphics at school constructing sceneries and a graphics board really sped up the process :) it's also helpful with 2-3point perspectives and a variety of other stuff :)

However it cannot help with everything it will help with the clean straight lines but if you were to add say a flower in a garden you would then need to use your own understanding and skills to draw the flowers :P hope this helped :)

JJJorgie
06-22-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks! It's sketchy because it's a sketch :) I'm going to go over it with thinner and (hopefully) cleaner and straighter lines, then color it. Thanks for the suggestion!

JJJorgie
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Here's a piece from the GB. I'm really proud of it (not exactly sure why, but I guess I think it turned out good).
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-sitting-here-all-pretty-like.png?t=4fe5383a2101b
The lips didn't turn out like I wanted, though :)

Mr_Liebe
06-23-2012, 12:46 AM
The chin and cheeks are a bit pointy, round them up some, and the arms look thin to me, try beefing them up, you could also add some emotion to the face, she looks a bit like a Dept. Store Mannequin with her look. Other than those things, it looks good, keep up the nice work.

Shadowsfade
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
she's cute :) i like her swimming costume and the sketchy feel to it. I agree with liebe that the arms seem a little thin, but she has some sexy curves!

Demonfyre
06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Looks really good JJ :) the arms have been mentioned already and I think there is something about her neck, but im not sure what it is yet :/ looking forward to more stuff:)

JJJorgie
06-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks all you guys! I really appreciate it. I'll work on drawing bigger arms.

Here's another:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-just-a-guy-with-a-strange-sword.png?t=4fe63e350cc5b

JJJorgie
06-23-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-pretty-ginger.png?t=4fe6803849dcd
One thigh is thicker than the other :/

Oops, sorry for the double post

eltoroguaco
06-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi! That's cute! Neat pose. I always fail at parts where they lean forward or stretch their arm or leg towards the screen... You sure handled that great!
I see no anatomy flaws here. So only advice I can give you to work on are smoother lines ;) Go over your sketch at least 3 times to make the lines smoother and thicker. Such are of course easier on a computer.
I got a shaky hand, so I use the pen tool on photoshop for my final outlining :P But to be a perfect artist, you should do it without digital help ;P
Which is something I'm not good at... but nothing says I cannot give advices of something I cannot do myself XP

JJJorgie
06-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks! I kind of meant for these to be more on the sketchy side :) I still have trouble drawing smoothly with a tablet and I was to lazy to spend a lot of time on the outlines :/ I'll definitely draw some neater work soon

eltoroguaco
06-23-2012, 11:38 PM
haha well if sketchy was intended, then it's perfect ;)

JJJorgie
06-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks! :)

Here's another sketchy piece from the GB. It's Cool Colors for the 100 MT Challenge:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/06/JJJorgie-cool-colors-mermaid.png?t=4fe6ac1a63135

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-24-2012, 02:51 AM
you're improving in leaps and bounds JJ :D

only thing i can say is:
even though this is a stylistic choice it might be nice to see how this affects the overall look of your drawings. try making the band of highlighting th8icker and make it jump up and down following the shapes of the hair :D

JJJorgie
06-24-2012, 03:42 AM
Haha, thanks! I use to make thicker, zig-zaggy higlights, but I've been drawing most of these at around 1 a.m. or while exhausted from staying up till 4 (curse my summer schedule!), so I'm trying to get away with as little work as possible :)

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-24-2012, 04:16 AM
do you have any free time in this cursed summer schedule? if you do, you could reveiw any of the drawings you liked and try it out :)

JJJorgie
06-24-2012, 04:25 AM
I'll see :) I usually like to leave old pictures in the past and move ahead, and if I do recover them, I prefer to redraw the whole thing (I know, I'm wierd!) :)

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-25-2012, 04:57 AM
that's a completley valid way to do things :)

Rainbow_Dash
06-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm jelly.

JJJorgie
06-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Hey, you're back! Haha, thanks! I've improved a lot since you last got on.

JJJorgie
07-03-2012, 01:06 AM
I've been battling artist block for the past week :( I was finally able to produce these semi-decent (?) males. I apologize for their being so large. I'll try to resize them later.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-guy-walking.jpg?t=4ff27c0d3f953
I don't like the way the pants turned out at all. His shoes need to be bigger. His hands look kind of wierd. His forearm I want thinner.

Next:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-guy-with-phone.jpg?t=4ff27d60f2ddb
His hair looks bad. His hand is small and wierd looking (I attempted to draw him hold a phone if you can't tell). His nose is ugh!

I won't be able to post a lot this month because I'm participating in JulNoWriMo.

Demonfyre
07-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Oh participating in the JulNaNoWriMo are we? :D good luck! :) when it comes to artist block I doubt there's much I can help you with but when I had a session of it, fan arts helped me a lot :) even if doesn't sort out the actual block you will have at least kept yourself drawing :)

With the first guy you could add more vertical folds on the top of his jeans like you had with the second :) they are looking good JJ :D

JJJorgie
07-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Thank you very much! I think the PIMP thread will help out with the art block (hopefully)

JJJorgie
07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Here's my first colored tree! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-grayscale-tree.png?t=4ff3b469bbdb4

WhenRabbitsAttack
07-04-2012, 02:11 AM
the knarls and texture of the bark would give it more shading, so it wouldn't look so smooth (unless it's like, an ash tree or something)
great job, though :D

Sunny
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I like it! I'd give it some more twigs and random branches, but the overall shape is very nice.

JJJorgie
07-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys! I'll work on adding more shading to the bark and more branches.

JJJorgie
07-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Any critiques before I color her would be great!
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-cardholder.png?t=4ffb724ac5ad9

Demonfyre
07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/large/neutral-pirate-poker-face-l.png

Wow she looks great :D the only thing I can suggest is on the cuff maybe you could make them a bit larger and show so more of the cuff so it looks like the clothing is separate rather than flowing straight into the skin if that makes any sense :) I love the hair and the eye patch :D

Just say if I need to explain what I suggested better :)

JJJorgie
07-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks, I'll do that!

WhenRabbitsAttack
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
her right boob is slightly larger than her left. and the nose and mouth could be moved up sligtly they look to low at the moment

i like her hair and he rpose is really interesting though :3

JJJorgie
07-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the critique. I noticed the breasts after I posted it when aheaded and fixed it. I'll see what I can do do the mouth and nose.

ScarletHue
07-10-2012, 07:42 AM
For the tree, they don't tend to have such smooth texture. So vary the tone here and there as randomly as you can. And increase the contrasts so it comes out as 3D.

As for the girl, you've done a great job generally. But I don't think you would see so much of the outer most finger, because she would need to grip the card more tightly for it to stay there.

JJJorgie
07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Scarlet. I'll work on all that.

JJJorgie
07-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Here on two new sketches:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-new-marabelle-design.png?t=4ffd4186f03c5
Her fingers look wierd and her breasts are odd, I think. Any suggestion for the breasts would be great. By the way, she's wearing a long shirt and tights. Her arms may be wrongly placed, but I don't know.

http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-bowl-hair.png?t=4ffd41f51d6f6
I really should do a hand study... Also, her breasts need to be a little rounder toward the top and her mouth a little higher, I think.
The lines beteen the long strand of hair and her face aren't her ears, they're also hair; the ears are farther up and hidden by the long strands.

Demonfyre
07-11-2012, 08:23 AM
She looks good :) you've pointed out pretty much everything, also you could move the clothing folds on the breast down a bit and erase the edges of the base of the breasts a little bit so they don't meet in the middle so close together also on picture one the right breast shouldn't be hanging over the arm so much, try to move it a bit more to the left :)

JJJorgie
07-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Haha, your right! I totally forgot about that! Thanks!!!

Demonfyre
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Your welcome :D I started working on the pimp and I'll hopefully post that up later tonight for you :) any preferences where you want me to post it?

JJJorgie
07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
It doesn't matter to me. :) You can post it anywhere. Oooo, I can't wait!

Here's a picture I did on the Oekaki doodle room:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-oekaki-stormy-ocean.png?t=4ffd98bc4f2d9
The shading on the dress is kind of funky and her hair is a little fuzzy. The far sleeve looks kind of strange. I think the ocean turn out good, considering I've never done anything like it before. Her mouth looks a little weird, too. Any other critiques would be great!

Here's a lineart:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-new-marabelle-design-outline.png?t=4ffe2e7aa1237
I'm going to fix that hand at some point.

Shadowsfade
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
For the bottom one of the two sketches above I agree with Demon - with most tops, unless they're super tight, you see the outline of the breast at the side, but you don't tend to see the lines underneath, as the top just spreads across them, so you don't need as much detail underneath to show the full circular shape - just a little line to indicate it is often enough.

I really like the oekaki pic, and the effect of the lighting and the stormy sky is great. The whole background adds nice atmosphere to the picture. and nice red hair! For the shading on the dress, I think you should have used less greys / black for shading, as it makes it look a bit 2D. Normally with white, a little bit of blue is used to shade to stop this from happening, so that may help. I haven't done much coloured shading of white things, so someone more experienced may be able to suggest other colours to shade it with too!

JJJorgie
07-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes, thanks, Shadowsfade!!! I don't have a lot of experience shading white, so thanks for the tips!

Here's a GB picture I did for the 100 MTC:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-summoner-2.png?t=4fff9560562e5
I forgot to color spikes on the dragon's claws. The coloring isn't the best on the shirt. I know I should've added more folds to the sleeve being gripped.

Shadowsfade
07-13-2012, 08:15 AM
That's amazing! Awesome dragon, and I love the colouring on both of them. The anatomy is really spot on too. The breasts also look much better, see how more natural it looks not outlining the whole shape? Great job, nothing for me to critique on (:

JJJorgie
07-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Awesome! Thanks! I think the last sketch was the first time I've ever outlined the whole breast; I don't even know why I did.

Here's another picture:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-having-fun.png?t=50004d173f37f
The legs are too short and the legs perspective on the legs and feet is off. Also, the hand's not the best.

Quite a few people have been saying that my art's stiff, but none of them have giving any advice for loosening it up. If you have any suggestions please let me know how I can fix this.

Demonfyre
07-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Wow that looks great :D I love the hair and the pose :) I think that the hair would be affected by the left hand/arm being held up and also the elbow on the right arm looks a little to pointy. As for stiffness, I'm not sure as ive had that pointed out to me before as well :/

JJJorgie
07-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks! For the hair, there are pieces in front of the hand and pieces behind. They're not really touching the hand much, so I don't know how much they'd be affected.

Hant_iiha_cohacomxoj
07-13-2012, 04:08 PM
me likes alot

JJJorgie
07-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks!

Shadowsfade
07-14-2012, 07:21 AM
She's cute :) For the foot up in the air, the line seperating the edge of the foot from the bottom is too box-y, it makes the foot look like square. I like the pose though, and the eyes are really nice. Maybe you could add a bit more contrast in your shading? Making the shadows darker and stuff - eg the arm furthest away is shaded by both the hair and the body, and though you can see a shadow it's not that noticeable, same on the shirt, you can see slight lighter and darker bits, but not very clearly (however, I know from my experience sometimes turning the image into a jpeg or whatever to post here does make the colour changes less noticeable)

As for the stiffness thing, I think your last few poses haven't really been that stiff, so can't really help :) maybe try drawing poses that look less.. posed? like they're doing something, rather than as if they're having their picture taken and putting a pose on. I like what you've been posting though!

ScarletHue
07-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Woah, a cool pose for sure. The legs are too short indeed, but only slightly for someone of her age. I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.
The leg in the air does connect a little awkwardly to her pelvis though I think.

JJJorgie
07-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks both of you for the cnc!

Shadow: I don't think I've ever drawn the bottm of a foot before, so I guess I'll have to work on that! :) I'll try contrasting my shading more. I'm going to try drawn more natural poses (I believe I did so in the picture below)
Scarlet: Yeah, that leg does connect awkwardly :/ I'll watch for that in future pictures.

Here's a new picture done in the MOB Doodle Room:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-e-for-elite.png?t=50020b5018bfb
I just realize that I should've drawn shadows indicating that there are people behind her and that she's actually pointing for a reason :| I probably go add some later on. Also, there's that strange light part in the bottom left that I forgot to shade.
This is the first time I've ever foreshortened anything, but I think it turned out good.

Shadowsfade
07-15-2012, 10:00 AM
It's a bit too dark to see her far arm, but luckily I saw it a few days ago in the oekaki when it was just lineart, and I thought the perspective on it was great! and yeah, this pose does seem much more natural :) the way she's posing / her clothes connect with the expression in her eyes, so it feels like there's a story behind it

JJJorgie
07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks! I'm glad it's more natural. Yeah, I can't really see the arm that well unless I tilt my computer screen forward.

ScarletHue
07-15-2012, 02:54 PM
The perspective is spot on I think! But her head is quite large. That's the only thing I can point out really. Nice work!

JJJorgie
07-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for you cnc!!!

Hmm, well, her upper body (counting the head) is three heads tall, so she'd stand about 6 heads tall which is how tall I normally draw my characters.

JJJorgie
07-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Here's a WIP. I've never drawn a kiss before, so I'll probably need all the help I can get :)
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9747/epicghostkiss.png
I think the holding hands may look a little odd.

Demonfyre
07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
The kiss looks really good but if you didn't I would really suggest using Mark Crilley's section on kissing poses. I would definitely suggest adding more shading to the males face as it looks very 2D to me and make sure to do the same for the girl when you come to colour and shade her. You could also define the difference in colour where the shadow being cast from the hair hits the face a bit more. Also be careful with the long hair of the girl as the top ones begin to look like tentacles almost so try to add some more strands maybe with some colour and shading when you get round to it :) last thing, im sure the girls hand holding the boys is foreshortened but it still appears very small lengthwise maybe try to lengthen it a fraction?

For a first attempt its looking great :D keep up your good work and sorry about not being able to check the thread more often, very bad connection where I am :(

JJJorgie
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I appreciate your posting and I hope your trip's going well! I'm planning to smear the girl's hair more and use thinner strands when I actually coloring her. I'll definitely add more shading to the skin, particularly the guy's face. Thanks for all your cnc!!

toast
07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Very cool scene! There were quite a few problems I noticed, so I did a short paintover and a small redline. Um sorry for the backwards numbers <_<

http://i.imgur.com/8C5E0.png

1. The way you drew her neck doesn't make sense at all. Essentially you drew her neck like it's broken or something. At that angle, her head would be facing downward since she's trying to kiss him and he's under her, and also the neck would still be connected to the chin. Disregard the back of the head, I'm retarded

2. His shoulder is way too low

3. His butt his way too low. Remember, you need to get the actually body and anatomy down before drawing the clothing. Otherwise that just messes everything up

4. The coloring you did on the skin, hair, and scarf. I understand you're not done, but by the little color splotches you put on the side planning out what colors you're going to use, I can see what you're going to do. Do NOT just use a darker version of your base color for shadows. Skin doesn't work that way. Instead, use redder colors and possibly yellower colors around like the chin area. You have to remember that the face you drew is a form as well, and not just a 2d drawing. Shade the nose, cheeks, lips, nasolabiel fold, etc. If you don't want it to be that realistic, you may want to just choose a different style of coloring.

Here is a guide to digitally coloring different types of skin. This is like my favorite thing ever, and I used it for on your picture as an example. Look at the pale gold color, thats essentially what you're using:

http://i.imgur.com/CXY4W.jpg

Another thing is the hair and the scarf. Don't be afraid to throw in bright highlights! Go crazy with the hair as well. Even the hair I did could use a bit more working with. I made the brush size 10 and just went crazy with darker and lighter colors and hues. Don't rely so much on painting inside your lineart

5. Where's her butt?!

6. I think you really need to work quite a bit on clothing folds. Look for some references for a long coat. OR! Put on a coat yourself, look in the mirror and do the same pose. Study how the folds work.

Also I forgot to number this, at that angle her elbow would be raised.

JJJorgie
07-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Oh goodness, thank you so much!! I've never been able to color skin that well, so that guide is especially aweomse and something that I'll definitely reference back to a LOT!!!

Thanks for all the anatomy checks, also. My male anatomy is pretty bad (I've just started really studying it recently). I've never really done a big, very detail picture like this before so I'm kind of jumping from point to point trying to get all the basic layout done. I guess I should really just slow down and focus. The main rsoan there aren't a lot of highlights is because I hope to pint it as if in the rain either at ngt or just on the dark day.

Thanks again, toast! I REALLY apreciate that you tookthe time to help me out!!!

JJJorgie
07-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Here's the revised version. Ignore the coloring! I did that before toast's critique. I tried to fix the girl's pose by adjusting her neck and lowering her body. I gave her a butt though the picture cuts off wierd on here, so it looks like her leg's really thick. I raised the guy's butt and arm. I added more folds to the guy's coat. I was hard to find references for the guy's coat in that position, but I think I did them pretty well and natural.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9747/epicghostkiss.png

JJJorgie
07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Here's a lineart from the GB. It was my first time using vectors, so I think she turned out well enough!
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/07/JJJorgie-gb-girl-jumping-with-sword.png?t=500cb231ea567
The arms are different lengths and kind of in odd positions and the hands are wack (I'll work on those). I just realized that there are no folds :/ Sorry

Demonfyre
07-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Looks good for your first attempt with vectors :) the lower left leg also looks way to thin in my opinion as it doesn't even come halfway of the leg thickness and I would also say try adding in some folds on her clothes :) if you want to get good at vectors I suggest downloading the 30 day trial of SAI and using it for lineart, you can scan in you pictures, put it in the background and reduce its transparency and then create a line work layer over it and then vector it. Try it out and see if you like using it or not :) keep up the good work :D

Gedeon
07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Pretty good....i think that there is no way that she can hold a sword like that....if the handle isnt somehow 'bent'. Other than the that pretty good.

JJJorgie
07-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks, Gedeon. I haven't drawn a lot of swords in various positions, but I'll work on matching the hands with the handle more.

Here's something from the Oekaki:
http://mangatutorials.com/mob/doodle/pictures/OP_12043.png
I definitely need to work on backgrounds. Also, the coat seems sort of flat and it's folds probably aren't correct. I tried to make it look more 3D, but it didn't work. Any ideas on how to make it pop?

Demonfyre
07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Looking awesome :D I think the folds on the jacket, in regards to 3D maybe you could try making the difference between the shading and the colours of the jacket more distinct rather than flowing together?

This isn't really a critique, more a suggestion; the trees I feel could be a bit taller (they look stunted), obviously this is up for speculation because you have to take into consideration species, conditions/weather and distance away from the character (+ more), but I would have expected them to be taller as they don't look like they are miles away, also on the trees on the left and in the to right corner you could try to indicate the trunks :)

Hope this helped somewhat :)

JJJorgie
08-14-2012, 10:12 PM
@Demonfyre: that did help!

Oh gosh, I completely killed my thread! Well, I back with a lineart:
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3327/warriorangel.png
Raz sketched the face in the GB and I just kind of built off his sketch :) Anyways, the wings aren't too great, but their outline is probably going to be temporary once I color this.

Demonfyre
08-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Wow it looks great :D the only things I find are that the shoulders look quite broad, but that could be due to the shoulder pads. Also with the swords the blade kind of moves out words before then curving back in, with those types of swords you tend to find its just one continuous slope backwords, for example;

http://www.everythingblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Scimitar.jpg

I can't really suggest anything for the wings as I'm useless at them myself but I think they look good :D keep up the good work, and don't let your thread die :P

JJJorgie
08-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks so much for commenting!!! Yeah, I think the armor is what's making the shoulders appear broad. The sword design is my own original version :)

I'll try not to let it die again!!!

nisaren
08-14-2012, 10:57 PM
As far as bird wings go, it would really help you if you'd just take a little time and find a couple images of bird wings. Here's one that may help you.

http://www2.ups.edu/biology/museum/AWPEwing10892.jpg

Using reference will really help you get a convincing wing design.

Shadowsfade
08-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Nice! you drew the feathers pretty well. Continuing with nisaren's comment, here's a pic i got linked on like one of my first pics here in relation to wings - breaks down the structure (the 'secondaries' feathers tend to stay together, like you can see in nisaren's pics, whereas the 'primaries' can spread out, again as you can see in the pic): http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/img/basics/animalanatomy/wing-feathers.jpeg

The hands seem a little big - I think this is due to how far back you've bent the fingers - the position they're in (as in how far down the palm they go), they'd have to be bent flat in an empty hand, but they're holding swords so the tips shouldnt be quite as far down the hand. Also, the middle line for the leg seems a bit too straight for a leg. Love the armor design though - and ithink the shoulders look fine, from the slope of the shoulder and beginning of the arm, you can kinda tell that the shoulders arent that wide

JJJorgie
08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks, guys!!! Those wing references are great! I'll try to work on that later today!!

Shadowsfade: I'm going to start drawing bigger hands, but I see what you mean about the fingers. I'll try to shorten them :)

ScarletHue
08-22-2012, 06:40 AM
My suggestion is that if you want to improve your style from here you should play with the line weights. Thicker lines away from the light source and thinner towards it? Or thick lines outlining the piece and thinner lines inside? Places where the line fades out and in? Just choose something like this and integrate it in. It will make your lines seem a lot more natural.

JJJorgie
08-29-2012, 09:04 PM
I think something's off with the head and neck, but I'm not for sure. The thighs might be a little long for this perspective (?)

Body outline:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5105/frombelow.png

Clothed:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5105/frombelow.png
I think the shirt's wrinkles are off. Any suggestions on how to do those?

Demonfyre
08-30-2012, 08:58 AM
You drew those clothes really well for that angle! I can't see any flaws with the clothing but I'm not really experienced with other angles so there may be something I've overlooked. All I can really see is the zipper area of the short jeans not being lined up with the middle, instead it is slopping quite far to the left despite being a straight on pose. Lastly the upper arms seem a bit too boxlike even though foreshortening is involved. Hope this helped somewhat :) it's looking great :D

JJJorgie
09-06-2012, 11:17 PM
This was a commission from Ratchet-halo of DeviantArt of his OC:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=166&d=1346987079
I don't really like the shading of the hair :/ And, those "X"s in the hair are part of the character's design, supposed to be flatter. One hand's smaller than the other, too.

Shadowsfade
09-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Thats really cool :) i love your style (i know its not your char design, but your style still does it justice!). i like how you coloured the hair and stuff, and those hands are great! my only critique would be you dont seem to have given much room for the crotch! where the top of the leg ends, there's barely any material left till the tummy.

JJJorgie
09-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Thank you so much! Yeah, I saw that about the pants when I waa coloring it. I'll look for that in the future, definitely!

Demonfyre
09-08-2012, 03:43 PM
The only thing I can suggest is to not smooth the shading in the hair as much, not all shading has to blur into each other, experiment around to see what you like but I think it will help :)

Sunny
09-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I really like the feel with the colors. My two suggestions would be to work on your hair and your folds. I know most anime artists don't exactly always do the most flowing hair, but hair can be like a waterfall, depending on how clean it is, that flows and bounces every which way. Take some time to consider the curves of hair, and how loose it is. Apply this concept to folds as well. Stand in front of a mirror and look at your own clothes and how the folds turn and try to draw them.

The hands are nicely done and so are the arms. Keep drawing!

JJJorgie
09-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks both of you! I didn't really want to draw this request, so I don't think I did as good as I could've with it.

I actually tried a new coloring technique that I've never done before and aren't very comfortable with, so the coloring isn't too great. I do need to do some clothing studies at some point; I've been doing a sloppy job with clothing lately.

ScarletHue
09-13-2012, 07:03 AM
I drew a request for rachet halo some time ago..

Anyway when you draw folds for your clothing, try to loosen up. They shouldn't be so stiff. They need to flow through the clothing and around the form. Especially with clothing that isn't skin tight.

JJJorgie
09-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes, thanks Scarlet!!! I just realized how straight the folds of the pants were. Darn, I'll work of that!

Here's a sketch of Demon's character, Libra, I did for a sketch trade:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/1360/libraarttrade.png

Rubisko
09-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I like the explorer-girl a lot, it's a nice idea to put her in front of a map like that. There's some technical errors, but that'll probably solve itself with practice, my personal opinion is that it's better to know what to drawn than to know how to draw.

A technical thing you could improve on would be to stop using short, nervous lines instead of longer, flowing ones. There are two reasons for this; 1. It simply look so much better, and 2. It forces you to use your brain to draw. Drawing is after all a mental activity and the more you think about the lines you make, the better you will become at drawing.

Shadowsfade
09-13-2012, 03:14 PM
I really like this sketch - there's a lot of action and emotion portrayed well, and the sketchy-ness adds to the feel of the picture :) nice profile view of the face!

JJJorgie
09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
@Rubisko: Thanks very much! The sketch is a few weeks old and since then, I've been trying to use longer, smoother lines. My tablet's only 4x6 inches, so I'm finding it a little difficult, but I'll get practicing and trying different exercises along with it!

@Shadow: Thanks!! I think this is one of my best profile faces! :)

GaBo
09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
That sketch is pretty great. I like the sense of movement. One thing you might watch out for is when feet fold like that that you don't accidentally draw them too long. Consider what it would look like if that foot was straightened out again; it would appear longer than it should be. Just my 2 cents.

JJJorgie
09-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Ah I see, thanks! I'll keep that in mind!!! :)

BunnyVoid
09-20-2012, 11:50 AM
you should teach me how to do foreshortening. the girl sketch is really good... clothes are well done... i don't really know what to comment on... sorry... maybe the coloring... don't be afraid to use more colors on the skin like subdued violet grey or unsaturated maroon... try to explore colors.

thank you for your comments in my work. i really appreciate them :) nice meeting you.

JJJorgie
09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
It's nice meeting you too! And, thanks for your comments and suggestion! I'm still learning how to foreshorten, so I probably won't be that much help to you. :) Yeah, all my recent posts have been pretty rushed with school and homework taking up most of my day :/, but you're totally right, I need to start using more colors again!

JJJorgie
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Little piece from the GB:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=230&d=1348191798
Trying out a new angle. How'd I do? :/ I know the breasts look a little odd.

Shadowsfade
09-21-2012, 05:27 AM
your pics are always so cute! i think for a "typical" female, her chin may be a little too pointy, and maybe a little too long, but thats more a stylistic choice really, and doesnt stand out too much. i think the problem with the breasts is the line in the middle curving back in on (our) left breast. the way you've drawn them makes them look slightly pushed together, and so you shouldnt really see a line curving back up like that. apart from that, i like the colour scheme and the hair, and its a really interesting angle :D

Demonfyre
09-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Nice use of contrasting colours, however I think you need to make the skin shading a bit more distinct, in some areas they blend together very finely which makes it look flat and you could have put some shading under the chin, but I love the way you shaded the hair though!

JJJorgie
09-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks both of you very much!

@Shadow: Yeah, I see the problem with the breast line now. Though, I believe the chin looks fine.

@Demon: Yes, I need to be more confident in my shading!

Tried to used a wideer range of colors in my shading, but when I saved it from the GB, the colors blended together:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=237&d=1348359145
Not my character design. The hood is gosh awful and the hand looks shaky.

Demonfyre
09-22-2012, 09:29 PM
For the hoody I would just use less clothing folds, for the cartoony style you were using the more folds added appears to make it more messy, what I notice artists do and something im trying to get used to is to indicate clothing folds using shading rather than using distinct black lines, I would recommend investing some time in that area, I bet that would help! :D again I think you could be a bit more confident with your skin shading, but I think you will have that in mind for your next sketch :)

JJJorgie
09-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks! Next time I'll take it slower and try to paint the folds. Also, I had used darker shading, but when transferring it, the colors got really messed up.

My scanner decided to work, so here are some traditional, pencil sketches:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=238&d=1348367512
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=239&d=1348367512
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=240&d=1348367512
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=241&d=1348367512
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=242&d=1348367512

And then, here's some coloring practice (nudity):
http://i.imgur.com/YuoxX.png
http://i.imgur.com/wFzml.png
First time coloring a face without lines

BunnyVoid
09-23-2012, 11:23 AM
BUNNIES! :bunny_heartdance:
draw more of those! lolz. :) we can have a bunny marathon!

The coloring practice looks really great. its good to see that you're fearless in exploring how to do skin. The skin you made looks healthy. :cat_thumbsup:

JJJorgie
09-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Haha, thanks! I'm glad the skin looks good!

I'll try drawing more bunnies, but no guarantee on how good they look :D

Here's an update on one of the painting practices. I redid the face:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=244&d=1348459393

nisaren
09-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Looking good on the newest piece. The only issue that really sticks out to me is her massive forehead. It looks like she's shaved her scalp. :X The face is looking nice though. :)

JJJorgie
09-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks a lot! Yeah, the forehead is massive, I think my reference has a receding hairline, because that's how big it is in the photo :/ I'll shorten it up, though!

Gedeon
09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Jorjy you got some good stuff. I haven't seen your thread for some time...and you've made quite a progress. The new paintings look awesome. No real crits..sorry.

JJJorgie
09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks so much Gedeon! I really appreciate your comments :)

JJJorgie
09-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm sorry; I was being lazy and didn't use references on this pose, so I can't guarantee it's accurateness.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251&d=1348887902
I think my only problems with it is the shape of the face is a litte weird and the arms don't have the best shape to them.

Demonfyre
09-29-2012, 09:41 AM
The face is also pretty sharp and angular, maybe try to smooth some of contact points out a bit? Also her leg hidden by the front leg kinda just... Disappears? I think you would see a bit of it on the other side of the leg :)

Lastly I think a few of the clothing folds curve up a bit oddly but I'm not sure, not done enough clothing studies or even enough sketches from that angle to know :L

JJJorgie
09-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the critiques. I actually used a reference for those legs (just not the top) and that's how the leg should be. She's walking so that leg is behind the other.

Demonfyre
09-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Youre welcome, Is it a real life reference?

JJJorgie
09-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes

Demonfyre
09-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Ok then, I dunno, just looks a bit, disconnected? Can't put my finger on it :/

JJJorgie
09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
May be foot is too long?

Shadowsfade
09-30-2012, 11:48 AM
I think the amount of leg hidden does look right - but yeah i think the problem probably is the foot is too long - considering where the end of the leg would be following the angle, you shouldn't really see that much of the foot - which is probably why it seemed the leg was hidden to demon :)

the folds look good on the shirt - though i think on our right side they're a little too 'bulgey' - trying to think how to describe it. even with folds, they'll still generally follow the bend of the body, and shouldnt be quite so circular, going in and out like you're drawing a cartoon cloud or something. sort of like in this picture: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=top+down+perspective#/d1aic7w

JJJorgie
09-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Shadow. I was using the line tools (because I was being lazy) and as consequence, yep, the fold do look pretty bulgy and weird. I'm planning on editting this piece in a different program and definitely fix the folds.

JJJorgie
10-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Okay, here's a rough sketch:
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/8095/roughby.png
I don't particularly like the skirt. I think it should probably bulge up a little where the tail connects to the body.

Demonfyre
10-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Awesome! I really don't see much at all to comment on, other than the foot to the right, the line makes it look separated. I love the placement of the tail and you drew the character really well ^_^ looking forward to the lineart and colouring :D