PDA

View Full Version : My Little Pony

CypressDahlia
04-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Is there anything good about this show or are people saying they like it just to be ironic? Is it like teenage dudes wearing Hello Kitty apparel? I've been looking up stuff about this all day and I've been told that there's "good character development" and crap but I have my doubts considering a non-sequitur show usually has zero character development. Mainly because most plot arcs aren't even canon. Also the cookie-cutter character archetypes...

So what's with the popularity of this show? Would it have anything to do with the fact that it's partly a meme? Seems that way:

http://i.imgur.com/871mY.png

It's really weird to see a community so vehemently against fur fandom get into a show about anthropomorphized ponies.

ClockHand
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Remember sonic fans? If you do, you might understand this phenomenon.

I saw 7 episodes because I know people who liked it, and I really wanted to be part of their chatting. But to be honest, it was pretty boring, I think I only saw 1 or 2 jokes that were worthing in the show and for my, 2 good material from 7 episodes its an awful deal.

CypressDahlia
04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I mean I'm trying to hard to find what it is that people like about it. The backstory is more developed than most kids' shows, but significantly less developed than most teens' shows. And so far I fail to see any character development as each of the characters is defined by their design archetype (like most cartoons).

Hayashida
04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a joke that got out of hand. I was at my friends house a few weeks ago flipping through the TV channels trying to find something to watch and one of the episodes was playing; we decided to watch a bit of it to see what the hype was about. There was nothing out of the ordinary about it. It was like any other cartoon for children, so I'm not sure where all this popularity comes from.

Sylux
04-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm just gonna stay out of this thread, but just know that I like it, Cype, and so does Sparky, Hamachi, and Joosh

ClockHand
04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm just gonna stay out of this thread, but just know that I like it, Cype, and so does Sparky, Hamachi, and Joosh

I like your argument about why the show is good.

Sylux
04-19-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm not going to make a fucking argument. I've made so many it's not actually even funny anymore (yeah, it was funny at one point). Brony hate was novelty at first, but now it's getting fucking old. I actually changed my avatar just so I wouldn't be pointed out for being a brony.

ClockHand
04-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I belive you just did an argument. Also, go to work in the edition of the script.

Sylux
04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
A'ight, got it open now.

Hayashida
04-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Have you ever mentioned what it is about the show that you find appealing? I think every post I've read of your "defending" the show has always been telling people to fuck off while acting so hard-done-by.

CypressDahlia
04-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm not saying you can't like it. I'm wondering why people do, and furthermore if there is a valid reason for people who are well into their teens and/or 20's who have most likely been exposed to higher caliber entertainment to fawn over it like they do. I don't see an internet cult forming around a like for Adventure Time (no Adventure Time Bros or something?). So why "Bronies"? It just seems too selective and ironic to be sincere.

GunZet
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I think the 'love' for the show IS a bit out of hand, I mean, so far as to have it's own culture emerge out of it, consisting of anything BUT the intended audience? That's just a bit odd to me.
You can like it, but when you get with your posse and wear rainbow colored everything, ponies shirts, and talk about ponies, that's just.... Yknow, wtf.

Not to say I don't occasionally like children's stuff myself. Blues Clues with Steve is still the shit, yo.

toast
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
I never really understood the MLP fandom. Before now, I've seen little clips and it looked like a typical kids show. Just now I decided to watch the first episode, heres my general thoughts:
-I enjoy the animation and style. It's smooth and nice, and I respect good animation
-The humour is typical kid's show humour.
-The characters are cute. I mean they're talking ponies, come on

Final thoughts: It's a nice show, and I understand the likability. Lauren Faust is awesome in general and has worked on fantastic stuff. What I do not understand, however, is the extreme fan base. I think people just enjoy belonging to a group and having common interests with each other, so after kind of enjoying the show, they decide they are suddenly bronies and repost a ton of MLP stuff. The same thing happens with every other fandom. If I had to compare this with other newer kids shows, I'd prefer Regular Show and Adventure Time.

Also, this fandom started in /b/. Remember people, this is where the boxxy fandom was sparked.

CypressDahlia
04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
...so far as to have it's own culture emerge out of it, consisting of anything BUT the intended audience? That's just a bit odd to me.

That's exactly it. I can't help but feel like it exists merely to be ironic. Like a sheer statement of cultural deviance. The fact that these grown men are so loud and proud about the fandom which is more saturated with them than the little girls it's meant for strikes me as being a "statement" more so than an earnest fandom.

And yeah, toast, I agree. The show itself is thoroughly mediocre in most aspects, but excellent in few (namely animation).

Rainbow_Dash
04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I've seen every episode up to recent and the value it holds is that of humour and a masterwork animation. While maybe not as intense as any anime, it does have its spots of insanity. I'm sure if you gave it a try you would love it. Generally bronies practice love and tolerance which is what this show represents, but many do not and they are generally the rabid fans. It isn't a cliche to like the show but it probably isn't wise to become crazy over it. (Sorry about the strange reply. I could have done better but I'm in class. Quite amusing.)

Sylux
04-19-2012, 08:37 PM
The whole thing about it is that character development is actually a theme in the show. The episodes are completely dedicated to the characters growing as (people). It's essentially a tool designed to teach children about being good people, but the pacing in the show is blisteringly fantastic. I can't watch most children's shows for more than a few minutes because they're so horribly slow, but My Little Pony actually plays out like a TV show for older kids. As far as how it moves, it's a lot like The Rugrats. It also contains theming that's not exactly just for little girls. The conflict in the show honestly can reach absolute boiling points, to the extent of physical harm, and complete negligence of one another's feelings. For what it's worth, it's not really super funny, it's just fun.

CypressDahlia
04-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Alright, well, let me ask you a question:

are you judging MLP based on the standard of kids shows, or based on the standard of the full gamut of entertainment you've seen in your lifetime?

I can see MLP being an excellent "kids show", but I feel like it's highly overstated versus many other things I've seen. Especially since so many adult (men) are enjoying it, I feel like they're grasping for straws when they say the "character development is excellent" and such. So the ponies do something cool and get a little sticker on their flank. That's great for kids, but versus the many anime I've watched where characters will spend dozens of episodes mulling over their personal identity and exploring themselves, I wouldn't bill it as "excellent". But maybe that's why my opinion differs vastly from Bronies'? Or maybe it's the novelty of a kids' show doing occasional "non-kid" stuff that gets people riled up?

Are Bronies being especially lenient when they judge MLP (ie. comparing it solely to other kids' shows instead of comparing it to relatively more serious media)? In that case I can sort of understand where this fandom comes from. But that still wouldn't explain why it's such a statement to be a Brony. As I asked before, how come Adventure Time (which is also excellent and has adult-themed humor) doesn't have an "ism" behind it? It seems like Bronies take pride in the aberrant nature of their fandom.

Rainbow_Dash
04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Quote: The big labowsky has a reference in MLP.
Quote: Spike is unconscious in punch. "Someone spiked the punch".
Quote: There are quite a few sex references in MLP.
End Quote: Dat Flank.

These are more like quotes of other quotes but it's all the same.

Sylux
04-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Alright, well, let me ask you a question:

are you judging MLP based on the standard of kids shows, or based on the standard of the full gamut of entertainment you've seen in your lifetime?

I'm judging it on the entirety of things I've seen in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, Ponies are not the only thing I watch, by any means. It's a small portion of my entertainment life, but among the newest, so it has the highest novelty value.

I can see MLP being an excellent "kids show", but I feel like it's highly overstated versus many other things I've seen. Especially since so many adult (men) are enjoying it, I feel like they're grasping for straws when they say the "character development is excellent" and such. So the ponies do something cool and get a little sticker on their flank. That's great for kids, but versus the many anime I've watched where characters will spend dozens of episodes mulling over their personal identity and exploring themselves, I wouldn't bill it as "excellent". But maybe that's why my opinion differs vastly from Bronies'? Or maybe it's the novelty of a kids' show doing occasional "non-kid" stuff that gets people riled up?

It's not that the characters are mulling over their identities, it's that their character flaws are presented in the episodes, and are dealt with by themselves and their friends. For instance, a deal of the shows are just misunderstandings, or other small things that turn into more horrible things (Spike changes from a little guy into a giant dragon and destroys Ponyville).

Are Bronies being especially lenient when they judge MLP (ie. comparing it solely to other kids' shows instead of comparing it to relatively more serious media)? In that case I can sort of understand where this fandom comes from. But that still wouldn't explain why it's such a statement to be a Brony. As I asked before, how come Adventure Time (which is also excellent and has adult-themed humor) doesn't have an "ism" behind it? It seems like Bronies take pride in the aberrant nature of their fandom.

No, I don't really think it's even a comparative thing. I believe that we just enjoy the show; that's the end of it. It also could be the innocent nature of the show. If you can recall, I've actually been banned on the forums a few times for outright display of extremely negative speech (sexual desires dependent on the non-consent and/or extreme youth of the other participating party). It can draw a person who behaves terribly, but was raised in a highly acceptable surrounding with outstandingly "good" parents, or outstanding "good" influences at the least.

Hamachi
04-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Honestly, a lot of the episodes aren't as good as I would have liked; the first one included. Hasbro also wrestled away Lauren Faust's influence early on in Season 1 and then took away her the director job by Season 2, instead keeping her on as a consultant. This makes me sad, because she had all these great plans about the series that never came about.

I would have liked a more adventurous feel and some some consistent antagonists (as Faust was planning to do) but they opted out on that in favor slice-of-life content more fitting for filler material. They also should've made gaining those magical doo-dads everyone got by Episode 2 of the first season a lot harder. Friendship is something people work on - everything would have made more sense if they had slowly earned those. You know, the first half should have established friendships while the second half involved journeying far away for the magical MacGuffin and whatnot.

But yeah. In my opinion, you should watch Season 2 Episodes 12 before you make any further judgments. The episode right after that was awful, but I keep watching with the hopes of stumbling across a good episode. It happens every so often.

If you can recall, I've actually been banned on the forums a few times for outright display of extremely negative speech (sexual desires dependent on the non-consent and/or extreme youth of the other participating party)

whut

Rainbow_Dash
04-19-2012, 10:12 PM
"But yeah. In my opinion, you should watch Season 2 Episodes 12 before you make any further judgments. The episode right after that was awful, but I keep watching with the hopes of stumbling across a good episode. It happens every so often." Dang quotes are messing up...

Baby Cakes isn't that bad. I guess. Because Pinkie was in it.

Sylux
04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I would have liked a more adventurous feel and some some consistent antagonists (as Faust was planning to do) but they opted out on that in favor slice-of-life content more fitting for filler material. They also should've made gaining those magical doo-dads everyone got by Episode 2 of the first season a lot harder. Friendship is something people work on - everything would have made more sense if they had slowly earned those. You know, the first half should have established friendships while the second half involved journeying far away for the magical MacGuffin and whatnot.

I'm not even going to lie, I thought about making a Zelda style game based off of the Elements of Harmony. God did I want more episodes to be like Spike going on the dragon migration.

Hamachi
04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Except for the fact that he got sidetracked by a bunch of deviant adolescent dragons for most of the entire episode. We still have no idea about his origins.

But yeah; I would have preferred a lot more adventure and traveling. I vaguely recall watching Princess Ponies in preschool and was all like OH GAWSH THEY ALL HAVE MAGIC SPARKLEY WANDS THAT SHOOT RAINBOWS AND FREEZE LAVA MONSTERS!!!

CypressDahlia
04-19-2012, 11:13 PM
To be honest, if this was as good as Foster's Home I would be a Brony, too

jubeh
04-19-2012, 11:15 PM
They just put dis on netflix should I watch it

Psy
04-19-2012, 11:21 PM
It does seem a lot like it's liked ironically. I allso think there's a nostalgia factor going on here like all these guys are trying to remember and relive their youth in this cartoon. I've watched what there is on demand and it's an ok show but I'd still rather watch the new thundercats or young justice. Notch the creator of minecraft said recently that he was very against the show at one point but admits that he actually doesn't mind the show and it is something he'd like his children if he had any to watch but there's nothing really special about it.

A joke that got out of hand or a movement of men showing their femanine side by declaring something incredibly girlie as acceptable and desirable.

CypressDahlia
04-19-2012, 11:22 PM
@Jubeh I dunno. I went out of my way to watch it out of curiosity. I'm nearing the end of Season 1 now and I don't think I will go on, except maybe checking out S2E12 like Hamachi recommended. It doesn't really stand out as much as Faust's other work. Like the whole time I'm very aware that I'm watching a kids' show and the kids show cues are very obvious. It doesn't quite do as good as job as Adventure Time in terms of transcending kid/adult entertainment.

@Psy Man I wish they'd show their feminine sides some other way. Bronyism can border on the plain creepy in some cases. Things like sewing, cooking, etc. are gender neutral hobbies but this is so deep into the little girls territory that it can't be anything but ironic, you know what I mean.

Psy
04-19-2012, 11:51 PM
I'd blame it on the gender binary imposed by society. As a boy you aren't supposed to play with Barbie because it's a girls thing and often ridiculed for it so when you grow up and have the option of expressing this like it gets out of hand because it was so repressed.

Sylux
04-20-2012, 06:29 AM
No I ripped off Barbie heads as a kid so I played with 'em alright

AlmanacnamedTime
04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm watching the first episode, and it seems interesting to me for whatever reason.

after:
its quite amusing.

Bacon_Barbarian
04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
It does seem a lot like it's liked ironically. I allso think there's a nostalgia factor going on here like all these guys are trying to remember and relive their youth in this cartoon.
I don't think so. The newest Transformers show on the same channel (the HUB) is animated just as well and has the original VAs. People were into Transformers in the 80s, not MLP. If they were into it for nostalgia, they'd probably be watching that. And considering the age group that does like MLP, the new cartoon would be upright their alley.

CypressDahlia
04-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Like I said, I don't know why the fanbase is so religious about it. Like most of us don't wear our interests on our sleeves. But Bronies celebrate their fandom to rather large extents. There is definitely some kind of statement in there and, though I don't doubt that some people genuinely like this cartoon, I highly doubt all of them love it to the extent that they say they do.

I mean saying you like dumb or contradictory stuff for the sake of being ironic is a pretty popular thing to do these days. Like high school students who claim to still watch Sesame Street and enjoy it. On an objective level sesame street is extremely monotonous and boring television, even for young kids. I couldn't stomach it as a 5 year old and, now that I've 15 years more exposure to better television, I probably wouldn't even be able to look at it without vomiting.

Sylux
04-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Got four words for you: Headbangers and Star Wars. Metal fans and "Jedis" are trying to have their fandoms recognized as official religions. Seriously. They're far more ridiculous than Bronies in my honest opinion. In addition, Narutards and Bleach fuckers get seriously riled up about their crap, too.

About Sesame Street, it came out in the 60s, so it has survived incredibly well.

Regantor
04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Eh, I dunno, Sy; It seems more like a whiplash effect to me... Star wars, Star trek, Naruto, Gundam and Metallica's lore is treated with rediculous serious-ness even within their own series, never mind the fanbase.

New-breed shows on the other hand, like MLP, Adventure Time, and even Gurren Lagann are completely low-brow and devoid of the "jesus effect" which puts people off the afformentioned high brow shows. It's the exact same thing which happened with Disney (high brow) and Warner Brothers (low brow) a couple of decades ago.

MLP is probally just the most popular because it's the most low brow, then, in my opinion. It asks the absolute minimum ammount of attention but also takes itself with the least ammount of seriousness.

Sylux
04-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Eh actually Jaidurn and I live by our Lagann code. While we may not take the show seriously, we take the spirit seriously. Never give up, never give in, even if you're in the biggest hole you've ever been in throughout your entire life. And really the only way we can really live by this code so well is because we have each other: We don't believe in ourselves, we believe in the each of us that believes in the other. I don't take MLP that seriously, though, just the implications against myself for enjoying it.

jubeh
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Sometimes you have to give up

CypressDahlia
04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
But Sylux...Gurren lagann was practically a parody of itself.

AlmanacnamedTime
04-20-2012, 05:06 PM
But Sylux...Gurren lagann was practically a parody of itself.

a parody can still deliver an effective message.

CypressDahlia
04-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes but it's intended to be the opposite message of the plainly stated.

Regantor
04-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Honestly, the best thing about GL was the fact that Kamina... Well, you know, the thing that happens in episode seven. It proved beyond all doubt that those funky ideas were the characters talking, and not just director blowing his load in your face to make some silly statement. That's the cornerstone of what made them such good characters, even, with values that struck a cord even if they didn't neccisary make sence (even within their own universe)...

So, yeah, GL was both awesome and a parody, it doesn't have to be one or the other. It doesn't even mean that the values that the characters reprosented were neccisary good or bad morally or socially, just plain awesome, because that was clearly the point all along. XD

Anyway. Back to the original topic. That above post was only really me trying to explain why MLP and shows like it are popular at the minute, regardless of their actual quality. Cartoon ponies don't interest me enough to watch it in the first place, so it would be kinda moot for a guy like me to judge.

CypressDahlia
04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah I think the whole point of GL really was just eschewing the whole trend of "the grittier, more realistic and less melodramatic something is, the better" that we've been seeing in a lot of recent anime for the sake of some good 'ol '80s style nonsense.

Psy
04-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Ok after a little conversation with a customer just now at work I'm finding out that there's an increase in brownies getting into art because the MLP fan art is going for crazy high amounts (like $6,000) and they want a piece of that. Came about because her son and his friends are bronies and it's a thing to do the fan art now to.

Sylux
04-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Brownies getting into art eh

Matt
04-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Six thousand? I wouldn't pay that much for anything short of a house or, pushing it, a car (then again, I'm probably not cut out to be an art appreciator).

If guys are into MLP to show off their feminine side, as has been said before, there are many other ways to do so. That said, I don't want to bash on MLP because, from what I've seen of it, it honestly has some darn good animation. Personally, I may have liked it at a younger age, but now, after being exposed to the likes of Durarara, I can't even watch stereotypical shonen anime anymore, much less MLP.

I admit, I have yet to watch S2E12. So I'll check that out and see if my opinion changes.

Bacon_Barbarian
04-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Where the Hell can you buy a house for $6,000?

Sylux
04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Finally watched the season finale. Shit was tits. And now we wait for S3.

CypressDahlia
04-22-2012, 02:29 PM
That's another thing that confuses me. My Little Pony fandom originated in a community (chan) that, for the longest time, thought anything with anthropomorphic animals as characters was evidence of furry fandom and bashed sonic (even though Sonic has a justifiably large fanbase considering it had 3 shows and a billion games) fans under that assumption. Yet being a fan of talking ponies, writing questionable fanfics about said ponies, suggesting said talking ponies have sexual relationships, often drawing many things in pony form, etc. are regular parts of the MLP fandom and is well embraced by the same community.

That kind of just irks me a little bit.

Sylux
04-22-2012, 02:48 PM
/mlp/

But FWIW I'm not a clopper. If I'm going to do things to MLP stuff they're going to be humans with strange hairstyles and tattoos, that's it.

Matt
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Where the Hell can you buy a house for $6,000?
I meant I wouldn't pay more than that much for anything but a house.

Hayashida
04-22-2012, 07:33 PM
i hate to break it to you but a lot of things cost way more than 6k

Outcast
04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
are regular parts of the MLP fandom and is well embraced by the same community.

No they're not they're hated there too. Although the admin gave them their own board.

toast
04-22-2012, 09:14 PM
yeah. For a short time, people who posted about mlp were banned because of the constant derailing-of-threads, which obviously caused a huge backlash. Also, I'm guessing a lot of the older members are pretty against it.

I guess moot gave in and gave bronies their own little section just so they could stop terrorizing people, but they still occasionally make mlp threads in /b/ from what i've seen.

It's funny though, when you tell some of them "you do know that a part of your community faps to mlp, right?", they say "well thats not all of us!", but then they go on to believe all furries are creepy weirdos that want to bone a dragon and enjoy dressing up as their fursona in public. Which I don't disagree with, but still. I'm just kidding, furries of mt

Sylux
04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Um I would never wear a brony suit. That's just fucking creepy.

toast
04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
unfortunately, people do it:

http://www.komickrazi.com/cosplay/cokepony.jpg

It's actually kind of funny though. like imagine walking down the street and seeing this dude just strolling along on all fours.

Hamachi
04-22-2012, 09:39 PM
MY EYES

Outcast
04-22-2012, 09:39 PM
That's awesome.

Hayashida
04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I bet sylux would totally wear that and not only that but he would wear it to one of his shows

Sylux
04-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Only satirically

Hamachi
04-22-2012, 11:02 PM
So you would wear it? =_=

Hayashida
04-22-2012, 11:02 PM
called it

Sylux
04-22-2012, 11:03 PM
I would wear it to a show if only as a statement against cloppers

Hayashida
04-22-2012, 11:05 PM
wait wat are cloppers

Sylux
04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Not safe for children.

Cloppers are people who masturbate to non-anthropomorphic My Little Pony pornography (as in how they look in the actual show). Opposite of fappers, who at least have the halfway decency to give the pony some human form.

Hayashida
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM
this subculture has come too far and must be destroyed efficiently and quickly

Sylux
04-22-2012, 11:11 PM
No, no, not exactly. They're just like Sonic furfags. There are decent ones in us, though, ones that prefer their material to be completely human-anthropomorphic.

Hayashida
04-22-2012, 11:51 PM
so you're sayin you wank to human versions of these characters

Hamachi
04-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Hayashida. Creepiest psychoanalyzer. Ever.

Sylux
04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
so you're sayin you wank to human versions of these characters

YES.

Hayashida
04-23-2012, 12:42 AM
lol this has gone down a strange path indeed

jubeh
04-23-2012, 01:18 AM
This path can only lead to somewhere bad

ClockHand
04-23-2012, 01:28 AM
This path can only lead to somewhere bad

So are you going to encourage this guy?

CypressDahlia
04-23-2012, 02:38 AM
No they're not they're hated there too. Although the admin gave them their own board.

They were hated for the spam, not for liking the show. In fact, the reason it was so hated was because so many channers liked the show and were spamming MLP threads all the time.

Sparky-J
05-19-2012, 01:52 AM
How did I miss this thread? I love me some ponies and junk.

Sylux
05-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Idk maaaaaaan