PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Some Good and Happy Manga

Matt
04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
There are plenty of well-written tragedies out there because a tragedy needs to be written well in order to be effective. But how about well-written comedy (in its traditional definition)?

Recommendations?

GunZet
04-18-2012, 11:44 AM
-happy- manga?

Rio
04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Happy isn't a comedy. I assume you knew there was a manga called "Happy!". : )

@ Matt
I've read comedy manga's but I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for... It's not slapstick comedy though, right?

Matt
04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Allow me to clarify.

The traditional definition of tragedy was a story in which the hero made the wrong choice, i.e. Romeo and Juliet. A comedy was one in which the hero made the right choice. So when I say I'm looking for a traditional comedy, I'm looking for a happy manga: the opposite of a tragedy. I should have said that to begin with.

So I'm looking for a happy-ending manga with deep characters and a good story. Preferably light in tone, too.

AlmanacnamedTime
04-18-2012, 01:05 PM
fairy tail is pretty light.

Hamachi
04-18-2012, 01:56 PM
So when you say comedy, you don't mean a funny thing?

Sylux
04-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Goddammit he means like The Divine Comedy.

Matt
04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Just something happy and/or hopeful. Come on, I just read Wolfsmund. Excellent writing (probably the best I've seen in manga), but the most depressing thing I've ever read. Is it too much to ask for excellent writing and a hopeful story?

I'll start reading Fairy Tail. Is it well-written or standard shonen-action fare (or well-written shonen-action fare)?

I'd go into detail about why I'm looking for a happy story, but I have a feeling I always overexplain stuff on this forum.

WhenRabbitsAttack
04-18-2012, 06:41 PM
free collar kingdom is pretty happy. its drama/comedy but not very ...deep:)

jubeh
04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Um romeo and juliet is a comedy

WhenRabbitsAttack
04-18-2012, 06:59 PM
you have a twisted sense of humour. but in a way, i agree because they're such comnplete dickheads

AlmanacnamedTime
04-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I'll start reading Fairy Tail. Is it well-written or standard shonen-action fare (or well-written shonen-action fare)?

well written action-comedy thing.

Blue_Dragon
04-23-2012, 03:05 AM
There's only three volumes of it, and I don't know if it's still in print since Tokyo Pop is gone, but Van Von Hunter was pretty funny and light-hearted.

Matt
04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Haven't got too far in Fairy Tail yet, Free Collars Kingdom is... uh... well, anyway, I'll try Van Von Hunter next.

On another note, Durarara is exactly what I was looking for. It's written very well and covers some genuinely interesting topics. It subverted standard anime cliches throughout and touched on some interesting philosophical points. It had a great cast of characters with their own strengths and weaknesses. It presented them not as the stereotypes you see in most anime, but as actual characters: people whose lives you cared about and whose stories you wanted to see.

Was it happy? I thought so. But I talked with a friend at lunch earlier today and he said he quit halfway through because it was too dark and that he wanted to watch something happier: Sora no Otoshimono. I stopped reading Wolfsmund in favor of a happier anime or manga, but wanted something with Wolfsmund's writing quality. My friend stopped watching what I went to in favor of something that was undoubtedly happier, but also very shallow and cliche-driven.

So I suppose I can pinpoint what I'm looking for a bit better now: something that's not shallow and cliche-driven (and contains most of what Durarara did), but has more hope to it than Wolfsmund. A lot more, preferably.

JJJorgie
04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Ouran High School Host Club is very well written (in my opinion), funny, and happy.