PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Writer

theAnimeRebel
04-02-2012, 04:08 AM
Not paid, sorry, but if you want some practice with short stories, I want the practice with the script followin' and drawin' part.

I already have a concept, so it's sort of a challenge---you would take the concept, write the scripts, and send em' back to me. I would then draw it out and post them online, If you want more control over layout and such I'll even be willing to send you rough drafts so you can comment and critique.

Here's the idea: Set in an urban Japanese city and involving mainly two college age (exchange?) students, it involves the main character who gains super powers when he accidentially microwaves some chemical/fake scientific element....becoming, well, at first I had him dubbed "Mercury Man" but that now seems too...negative. (Mercury!?!?! What was I thinking!?!?!) :cat_shock:

So the writer has a lot of freedom...just take the concept and run with it.
It's a really short series project, 10 installments, 16 pages each. (At least, that's short for me...xD) The genre would be action/adventure shonen, with a fun, fantastical element thrown in here and there. I only have three stipulations, which are: 1. No language, whatsoever (I'm even going to take out the "craps" and "darns" if you throw those in there---sorry if you think it's childish, but it's a matter of personal integrity on my part. 2. No sexual content---at all. My guide for the no language should give you a clue about how strongely I will feel about this one too. 3. No bloody, over-the-top, and in other ways too mature or offensive violence. My target age here are boys between ages 10-12(ish), so yeah.

Sorry that I haven't posted any of my work yet. I lean towards more of a hobbyist style. I'm working on the plot of this series that I'm going alone on, but I don't feel confident enough to start drawing in seriousness with that yet. (I mean I could, but it would take me forever...) so this would help me improve my speed. Also it would be a challenge for me b/c I've never actually drawn from another writer's script...I've always used my own. So I mostly want to have fun with this, and go wherever with it, and am looking for a writer with the same mindset. (I think...)

Post questions below, if you're really really interested you can PM me.

AlmanacnamedTime
04-02-2012, 07:42 AM
I could use the practice. your fine on the your stipulations at least with me. the only issue is me not knopwing really anything about japan itself.

theAnimeRebel
04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Hmm, that would be a problem...my advice for that would be to emmerse yourself in wikipedia...plus read some more Japanese-ish manga. (e.g., they leave the honorifics and SFX in the translation, etc.)

What we could do if you really want to do it is send me the outline, which I will go over and check for continuity and um, authentic Japanese-ness(?) and then send it back to you. You would write the scripts, and then send them to me. I'd go over them and make sure everything checks out, let you know if I've changed anything, and then draw everything.

This would be something that's huge on communication. Let's me see if anyone else is interested first.

theAnimeRebel
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
We could even have a team going on---two writers you know. If you want to do something like that.

AlmanacnamedTime
04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
two writers would be cool havent done that before though. also half my manga are in japanese. I get the honorifics and am learning the language, its just the actual place.

theAnimeRebel
04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Ah, I see.
Well then, other than some research on setting, I'm not sure what you would need.
Check out books on art and cooking, crafts, school life? Listen to Japanese music...

You proabably wouldn't have to do as much research as I would, since I'm the one who's going to be drawing it, anyway. :cat_hmp:

Shindoutou
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, I don't have any experience in writing, I've written stories with others though, but with around 6 writers at once, just passing it around.. But I am willing to try and practice my writing skills, especially since I will be making my own manga (which is now in the starting phase)

I don't know if you need people with much experience, but otherwise I would be very much interested in trying this, even with two writers, it sounds interesting.

By the way, do you have some kind of story ready yet? Like some events, stuff that happen, where the story will lead to and so on, or is that also left to the writer(s)?

theAnimeRebel
04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey Denno. If you want, you and Almana could team up. That might work out perfect. I'm not sure how we would handle the logistics---you and I and him would all have to coordinate, I would supervise, but mainly leave the writing up to you. (Which includes the story makin' part.)

Here's the idea: Set in an urban Japanese city and involving mainly two college age (exchange?) students, it involves the main character who gains super powers when he accidentially microwaves some chemical/fake scientific element....becoming, well, at first I had him dubbed "Mercury Man" but that now seems too...negative. (Mercury!?!?! What was I thinking!?!?!)

^^^That's actually really all I had as far as ideas go, I wanted to give the writers extra freedom. You would come up with an outline, characters, and the script. Like I said, it's a (relatively) short project for a writer---10 installments, 16 pages each.
You and Almanac should really think about teaming up, it would be great for all of us.
(Of course then we would actually have to FINISH it...)

AlmanacnamedTime
04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm cool with a collab(something I've wanted to do for about a year anyway). If you need help with writing(either of you) i've already written a manga(am drawing it). However, if we do do this, could we change it to a city in the us? maybe a fake place, or set it somewhere in the future so that I can make it explainable?

theAnimeRebel
04-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Hmm, what do you think Denno? I feel very strongly that we should do this as authentic as possible to a "true" manga. I understand that you are not as familiar with Japanese culture, but if you did a collab, then that would eliminate some of the burden because research is split between two people.
Besides, all you have to do is write it, like I said, I'm the one who's going to be worried about authenticity. ;)

AlmanacnamedTime
04-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Thats true. Just as a first project as a group at least, maybe we should tone down the research level a bit, or do something like this:http://mangafox.me/manga/the_world_god_only_knows/v00/c000/1.html then a longer series thing like the example went on to be.
Either way, you suggested it so you da bossman. Now the bossman has read my opinion, he may decide.

theAnimeRebel
04-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Well it would be a fictional city in Japan somewhere, smaller though than the one in the linked manga. With that I suppose you have some liscence. I mean, just add some noodle shops and sakura trees and viola, you've got a Japanese city right? (;) )

And I'm thinking if we're going to do this we should probably start soon hmm?
(Although I'm not sure about how we'll work out the coordination part...)

theAnimeRebel
04-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Oh yeah, about the length:
If we did 16pgs x 10, it would be the length of one of those manga book things. Which is what I call a one-shot. so yeah, thus the chosen length.
(I mean we COULD do one that's 40 pgs long or something, but I figure once you're already there, why not just keep going? Anyway logistically the 16 installment version would work better for realeasin' and stuff.)

AlmanacnamedTime
04-03-2012, 03:23 AM
ok I got a rough 4 pages in my head, though I changed up the how of the powers a bit, (make this kid find something underground, stuff is explained. blah blah), and has to hide them from an organization called Arctic because of where he got them. sound good?

theAnimeRebel
04-03-2012, 03:35 AM
Uh sure, but I thought this was going to be more comically themed?
(Unless those four pages ARE comically themed....)
:cat_ahhh: (sorry about all these random cats, BTW, it's 1:00 and...I'm...tired)

AlmanacnamedTime
04-03-2012, 03:38 AM
its 3am here. so dont worry. it would start out serious to set something up, then get more and more comedy. exponentially.

theAnimeRebel
04-03-2012, 03:40 AM
erm...okay...I don't know, I guess whatever you want to go with. I'm not quite sure how you and Den want to collab on this though...

AlmanacnamedTime
04-03-2012, 03:42 AM
I can wait awhile. DEN if you want to collab, say so.

Shindoutou
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Oh wow, that's a lot of replies in such a short time.
I'd like to collaborate on this project, it seems interesting and promising enough. Alamanac, you seem to have quite some ideas already, that's good. And about the authenticity, I'm cool with the setting being a fictional Japanese city. Also a Japanese city is better than an US city, as I've never been in either of those, and I've seen a lot of Japanese cities in manga and on TV etc. Besides, Japan is just cool.
You can make anything comical, by the way, really. So even if something sounds serous or dark, you can add something to make it comical, I think.
So, what's are actual ideas right now? What do we have, and what do we need? I kinda' lost track of stuff, as I kinda' just skipped trough the replies and started this one, so..

Anyway, I'm excited about this! :D

Edit: If we are going to work on this, we shouldn't be talking about the progress and ideas in the Recuitment & Request pool, should we? Maybe we should make a thread on Manga Works, or find some other place/method to talk about this stuff.
Well, for now it's okay though.

AlmanacnamedTime
04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
You got the serious-humor part perfect. I was thinking bobobo(icant spell it all)-like offguard catching
things. I agree that Japan is cool, it was just a suggestion to make it a bit easier on everyone.

Actual ideas.... I will edit this post with them. what do we need, cooperation, may inspiration in the future. to what we have: an artist 2 writers and i can draw ok as well if needed.

Ideas(the ones tAR came up with):
-2 college age (maybe exchange) students
-1 gains super power and stuff happens.

Ideas(that I got, dont worry they dont conflict.):
-real world with an altrenate-ish history
-world divided into companies(england, america, canada, mexico, south america)
-guy stumbles across something that gives him super powers on accident
-he is not told how to use them or what he has
-also the guy who gave them to him is crazy and gave him odd ones(turning things to cheese, making cats fall out of the sky on their backs)
-there is a company that's based in the arctic and antarctic regions that want to find the guy who gave the protagonist super powers.
-we dont know why.

Now go ahead and add to the pool.

Shindoutou
04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Hmm, I wonder how such (seemingly) random powers could be implemented in a story.. Maybe he gets something that grants him power, but the power changes per day? And the crazy person who gave it to him chooses a random power for that day or something like that. <-Just an idea I just had.
That company chasing the guy who gave the powers, chases him because besides the useless powers (changing stuff into cheese, making cats rain), there are more useful, powerful/whatever stuff you can do with them (for example: ...?) . The company either wants that power too, or intends to use the main character's powers, something like that. Or maybe they just want to know how it works. Starting to sound pretty serious again, but that doesn't matter, we can change that at any time ;)

But now; who is the main character? There were 2 college students, male or female? What are their personalities? When the one gets his awful super powers, what does the other do?

How does the Rebel Boss feel about these ideas by the way? :P

AlmanacnamedTime
04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
I like the random power for the day. or maybe a list of powers per day of the week, and they are randomly "equipped" when you try to activate them?

also howabout:
The crazy guy is dead. so they want to blow up whats keeping him around. he's the first opposition to arctic, and he almost won.

theAnimeRebel
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Alright, I've moved this thread over to here:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?2096-Anime-Rebel-s-Co-Writing-Project