PDA

View Full Version : What anime or manga is popular right now?

Torn
03-17-2012, 04:49 PM
As someone who has been distant from anime and manga i am curious what is actually popular right now.
I just watched the first ep. of Black Blood Brothers on Netflix a few days ago and was enjoying that some.
Not sure what's happening as far as manga goes so i'm interested in that too..
Back when I was reading manga I was really starting to enjoy Nana.
As far as anime goes i was into .hack//sign and Serial Experiment Lain.
Let me know what's new and what's going on.
I went to Anime Expo 2011 and had a lot of fun, but a lot had changed! it certainly became more youth based since I last went.
So they got rid of a lot of the adult things to look forward to at AX which kind of bothered me. Mostly, you can also tell the economy took a toll on the convention.
Anyway, that's all the details i have to add, let me know what's going on in the anime world nowadays!

ClockHand
03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Nothing has changed. Naruto's still being popular. Unless of course you are from before that generation, which I should say, a lot has changed, now Naruto is popular.

Torn
03-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Still? You've got me joking. I guess i'm not surprised but this is kind of awkward for me. I never really got into Naruto I just recall alot of the Naruto fans at my highschool sporting the ninja headband. The last anime I watched with tons of fannage was Full Metal Alchemist.

Sylux
03-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Lain is awesome. Watch Gurren Lagann and Naoki Urasawa's Monster on Netflix. And Shigurui: Death Frenzy if you have the time. And iirc Soul Eater is on Netflix and is pretty good.

Torn
03-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Okay cool thanks

ClockHand
03-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah Naruto is still popular, the king of popularity. The same goes fro Bleach and all those series.

Yeah Sylux recommendations are great, but not popular.
Read anything from Urasawa actually, he is fucking awesome.

Torn
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I wanted to know what's popular but I am also interested to know what's good or new and good. I'll go and check those out.

Sylux
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Samurai Champloo is popular if you haven't already seen it

ClockHand
03-17-2012, 06:16 PM
I wanted to know what's popular but I am also interested to know what's good or new and good. I'll go and check those out.

As new, well, everything that Sylux said is already old lol. But new comics, mangas and anime that are good... I would say: I'm a Hero and Billy Bat (from Naoki Urasawa).

The deal is this, if you want popular things you are going to keep seeing the same things for over 10 years (for some reason are popular), if you want good (which is a very wide spectrum) you need to be more specific about what you want to find. Sylux gave you some good series to watch and read (I always tell that Monster should be read not watched, because the animation doesn't fit the art work), but yeah, better be specific about what you want to find, because Monster is good but old, I'm a Hero is kinda good, but its too new to know if its that good or not.

Rubisko
03-17-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm just gonna throw it in here cause I've just watched it and it's awesome: Ergo Proxy. Beautiful art, post-apocalypse and with an insanely good ending (yes, it's one of the few animes that actually do have an ending, and only 23 episodes. That's at least two more points in favor of the series, yay...)

Also, One Piece popularity is down, seems pirates didn't manage the generation shift as well as the ninjas did

Torn
03-17-2012, 06:52 PM
i think while being specific could help, i also don't want people to not respond if I became specific. So that's why I gave some ex. of anime/manga i have enjoyed in the past and left it at that.
I mostly want to know what people are into as well and i'll just sift through it on my own and pick out what I think looks good.
I loved samurai champloo! Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Sylux
03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Yeah naruto is ultimate popularity tho shippiden has let me down especially with the orochimaru bullshit seriously I fuckin love that guy. Anway bleach is seriously popular too but the anime has waaaaaay too many fillers. But it's ridiculous cuz the filler animation quality is superb sometimes better than the main arc.

Regantor
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Feel like I'm being really cynical lately, but ever since somebody laughed at me for saying Cowboy Bebop was better than Bleach, I'm finding it harder and harder to keep in with the 'popular' anime & manga crowd at the minute, personally...

Stuff like Soul Eater is okay I guess, but it's just too cartoony and zany for me to buy the DVD boxed set or anything. It's just totally missing that 'second layer' stuff like FLCL had. I can totally see what Torn means by saying things have become more youth-oriented.

Do other people actually feel this way too, or is it just me being a pretentious weenus? :/

Sylux
03-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Bebop is one of the greatest series of all time, crap like Bleach is just fillers for better stuff like Bakuman or great stuff like Champloo.

Kodos
03-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Feel like I'm being really cynical lately, but ever since somebody laughed at me for saying Cowboy Bebop was better than Bleach, I'm finding it harder and harder to keep in with the 'popular' anime & manga crowd at the minute, personally...

Stuff like Soul Eater is okay I guess, but it's just too cartoony and zany for me to buy the DVD boxed set or anything. It's just totally missing that 'second layer' stuff like FLCL had. I can totally see what Torn means by saying things have become more youth-oriented.

Do other people actually feel this way too, or is it just me being a pretentious weenus? :/
Every now and then I think to myself that Naruto will forever be more popular and profitable than Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.
Then I think to myself "fuck this world and everyone in it."

Sylux
03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Persons are smart, people are stupid.

Regantor
03-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Ah good. I guess this means my weenus is weak... No wait. :o

Seriously through, I guess this and the whole family video game thing currently going on just go to prove that anything that becomes too popular too quickly will naturally begin to suck, due to fatcats piling onboard the bandwagon.

However, positive note! This might also mean that the door is open for one of you American buggers to shine and start a new underground like Vasquez did with 'goth comics' before the manga wave. ;I

ClockHand
03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
The reality is that Vasquez is going to be a niche and Naruto is going to be popular. There are many of good artist and writers who are known in a "underground community" or stuffs like that, but they can't compete against Naruto.

Regantor
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
They basically got killed by the emo thing, but yeah. I'm not even that much of a major fan or anything; I'm just saying they had the opertunities to sell out and never really did, hence obscurity. The fact that they got the opertunity at all I'd call a success.

But yeah. My hope is that as long as there are fans dissapointed with the industry, there will be room for a little guy who actually cares about what he is working on. So things do have an upside, as backward as it sounds.

Kodos
03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
You still have mall goths. I don't think the goth subculture was killed by emo. If anything I think the goth subculture, here at least, kind of subsumed and assimilated emo into itself, like some kind of strange, teenage, Borg.
At least, judging from my experience during trips to malls and the continued existence of Hot Topic - or as Jhonen Vasquez was wont to call it "Goth 'n Go."

The problem with anime is not mainstreamness. It's actually, ironically, the opposite. In some ways, you see a degree of this with video games - at least with some, like Bioware. Rather than trying to appeal to as many people as possible, anime these days tends to try and appeal as hard as it can to certain niche demographics. That is why you get a billion and fucking one moe anime and increasingly creepy shit in general. Rather than trying to broaden their audience, they just single out a subtype of otaku and pander as hard as they possibly can.

Granted, it's still the same underlying problem as the mainstream thing - desire for money superseding a desire to create something of artistic merit. But, hey, capitalism.

But really, I think anime has always had a pretty horrible signal:noise ratio, like most things. I mean, look back on the 90s and 80s. Sure we had Gundam doing its thing, but on the same token we had a billion and one terrible ultra-violent-for-the-sake-of-ultra-violence shitty OVAs like Mad Bull 34 or Angel Cop. You know. Angel Cop. Where the villains were literally the fucking ZOG.

jubeh
03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
In manga it always seems like the base concept is much more important than the writing, which makes it almost the complete opposite of american comics. Most comic readers know that the idea of superheroes is incredibly silly, but go with it and make up with it with incredible writing. Most manga looks to me like it writes itself and you just need that original idea in order to make it stand out from the crowd.

The exception to modern manga all being samey might be one piece since it avoids common shonen nonsense by setting it in a world where it makes sense to meet stronger guys as you get further in, Luffy doesn't die and come back to life for no reason, and Oda has a really healthy respect for continuity. Yeah some characters have a "second form" of sorts, but its a natural extension of abilities they already have instead of a deus ex henshin move that puts them on par with whatever overpowered villain they are facing.

Also: It doesn't have any (traditional) fighting tournaments which is to me the biggest crutch in all of shonen manga. Don't know what to do for this arc? Have a tournament.

Axumite
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Fairy Tail and Guilty Crown are pretty good animes

ClockHand
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Ugh, theme is not that important, but narrative is everything. So I agree with James, manga is mostly about finding that cool theme to work, while in occident is more about doing a good story no mater the crap you have to work.

I have no idea about the goth sub culture, mostly because in here the amount of people can't be compared with USA or other big countries, and so the sub culture of goth was like 500 people or something (I'm not kidding, it was that reduced) so the sub culture was unable to live by itself and so it needed to hybridize with others (metal and emo) to survive.

Still I think the goth sub culture is quiet narrow and so a bad a niche. But if your work is good I think it can pass the barrier of the demographic.

Ozzaharwood
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Just a heads up, if you are watching your anime dubbed I will kill you.

A few recent popular anime are Code Geass, Black Lagoon, Mirai Nikki. You could probably go to any anime site that has a top 10-50 list and most will be the same.

jubeh
03-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Just a heads up, if you are watching your anime dubbed I will kill you.

Is this guy for real

Sylux
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Subs are shit you fool. You mean to tell me that names like Vic Mignona, Yuri Lowenthaal, Bridget Hoffman, Steven J. Blum, Micah Solusod, Luci Christian, Kirk Thornton, and Johnny Yong Bosch mean nothing to you?!

Ozzaharwood
03-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Nope. Nothing at all. Dubs take away everything from an anime, IMO. If there were only dubs of anime left on the planet, I would stop watching anime.

Sylux
03-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Would you commit suicide (please say yes)

Btw we are spamming but tbh u started it with some crap

ClockHand
03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Nope. Nothing at all. Dubs take away everything from an anime, IMO. If there were only dubs of anime left on the planet, I would stop watching anime.

Yeah it take away everything, the animation disappear, the dialogues are un-listenables, the colors fade and the eyes are burn.

Sylux
03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
ARRRRGH!!! LAURA BAILEY, WHY WOULD YOU CURSE MY ANIMES LIKE THAAAAT!!!

Regantor
03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Eh. No need to be so die hard, guys.

Macross Plus and Stand Alone Complex both have excellent dubs which really add some much needed extra character to the series... Rahxephon on the other hand has a terrible, foul, comepletely unsuitable dub, and is only really watchable in Japanese.

It's kinda pointless limiting yourself to just one form just so you can wave a flag of alliegence. Why not have the best of both worlds?

ClockHand
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I have always found FLCL english dub quiet good.

Hayashida
03-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I have always found FLCL english dub quiet good.
Ya I thought that was a good dub also

Sylux
03-20-2012, 02:32 PM
I just watch whatever language netflix has it in

jubeh
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Anyone who dismisses english dubs is incredibly naive. Try watching shin-chan subbed and see how funny it is. Honestly.

Sylux
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Oh, Georgie, I'm not ready to take that step yet! Also the Cromartie dub is great. The jap voices just soud weird in it.

Regantor
03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Liked dubbed FLCL, but I thought the Excel Saga original Japanese was much funnier than the dub. :I

Really, through, I think it's almost entirely the luck of the draw. There are always going to be certain suitable and unsuitable actors in any form of media. Certain people who actually wanted to make the role their own, and people who where just there for a paycheck. Hell, sometimes people are perfectly talented actors but are just utterly a bad choice for the role, such as in cases where the director just wanted to get the job over with.

Sylux
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh yeah the Project .hack dub was unbearable (lucky it had an option for moonspeak audio). However, fortunately, the .hack Conglomerate fixed the horrible voicing issue with the magic of Simon the Digger!

nextweek
03-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Ya I thought that was a good dub also

This is my favorite... of all time

Bacon_Barbarian
03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
TTGL had a pretty good dub as did the first season or two of Pokemon. Yeah I went there.

Simon the Digger!

On that note though, the dude who plays kid Simon is also the dude who plays tweenage Sasuke...

Sylux
03-27-2012, 09:45 PM
And he also plays Haseo from .hack//G.U., and he plays the male elf PC in Dragon Age: Origins, and Mordin Solus's assistant who gets captured by Batarians in Mass Effect 2, and Ben from Alien Force, and The Prince in POP: TTT and TFS jeez bacon ffs I know who Yuri Lowenthal is. Additionally, Simon and Nia (a couple) both voice Haseo and Atoli (a heavily implied couple, and optionally canon couple). Hey what's more, Atoli and Nia's voice actor is on the cover for Evil Dead.