PDA

View Full Version : [Photoshop]The assorted knowledge thread (now sorted!)

Rubisko
03-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Alright, so I've been thinking:

Photoshop is huge! I don't know much about it, but almost every time I use it I learn something new, most of the time by accident actually.

So I figured that since there's at least a handful of people here on MT that uses Photoshop to paint, if we have a thread like this we can share the knowledge and learn from others accidental discoveries.

Try to keep it simple; like this:

Caps Lock toggles the outline of the brush and the eraser tool
(probably the other tools too, but I don't use those). I don't know why you would want to toggle this off, but now I know that if the outline should disappear I've just pressed Caps by accident

Come on party people, post something you've discovered. I bet everyone who've used PS just once knows at least something that I don't!
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

What we have brought up thus far:

Brush/eraser tool:
Right mouse: Access the brush panel
] and [: Change the brush size (if you have another keyboard layout than eng you may want to rebind
Alt to get the eyedropper tool (not with eraser)
Shift straight lines
1-0 on the keyboard change opacity from 10% to 100%

Navigation controls:
Space: Hand tool
Space+alt: zoom out

Misc:
Ctrl+Z: Undo last action (once)
Ctrl+Alt+Z: Undo multiple times
Ctrl+T: Free transform selection/layer (scale, shear, perspective, warp,...)
Caps Lock: Toggle brush visibility
Tab: Show/hide panels and menus

Hotkeys for tools and panels:
B: Brush tool
E: Eraser tool
S: Stamp tool

Celestial-Fox
03-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Ctrl+Z = Undo once
Ctrl+Alt+Z = Undo multiple times

Rubisko
03-17-2012, 04:05 AM
Good one Seefy, those are my most used keystrokes...
I've also come to realize that PS's Undo function works with the GLOBAL history, so when I work with several files open in the same instance Ctrl+Alt+Z has saved me on countless ocations...

Celestial-Fox
03-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Right-click on your canvas to quickly access the Brush panel.

Cloudy
03-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Select something Ctrl + T = edit size and scale, rotate etc.

Sylux
03-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Shift to access stamp tool

GunZet
03-17-2012, 01:13 PM
] and [ control brush size.

Rubisko
03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
One-Point Perspective, quick and dirty:
Form tool => Star(in polygon options), 99 sides, 99% indent.
Result:
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/one-point.jpg

apples13
03-17-2012, 02:49 PM
does anyone know how to create this (http://postfiles7.naver.net/20120316_70/shaonav_1331827599317UxD48_JPEG/%C1%EA%B7θ%B5_ī%B3%ED_copy_c22opy.JPG?type=w2) http://postfiles7.naver.net/20120316_70/shaonav_1331827599317UxD48_JPEG/%C1%EA%B7θ%B5_ī%B3%ED_copy_c22opy.JPG?type=w2 in photoshop?

Rubisko
03-17-2012, 03:08 PM
@apples: I think you need PS Extended, it has 3D capabilities. I use standard so I can't help you, but I know it's called Repoussé, try to google it if you have the extended version

ClockHand
03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
B = Pencil
E = Eraser
Cntrl + = Zoom
Cntrl - = outzoom
Image > Mode > RGB or Black and White
Image > Adjust > levels or colors

I use those with the already mentioned.

apples13
03-17-2012, 04:22 PM
@apples: I think you need PS Extended, it has 3D capabilities. I use standard so I can't help you, but I know it's called Repoussé, try to google it if you have the extended version
hmm after looking it up I didn't seem to find any examples similar to this. Makes me think you don't need it for this

Rubisko
03-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Holding space = hand tool. Combine with alt, ctrl and/or shift for some extra cool stuff. Happy navigation!

Cloudy
03-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Nice thread, I think you should update the first post will all the new commands and hints/tips people are adding :D

Rubisko
03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Haha, that's a great idea Cloudy; if I do that I can change the title of the thread to either "[Photoshop]The Sorted Assorted Knowledge Thread" or "[Photoshop] The Assorted Knowledge Thread: Now Sorted!". I wonder what I'll choose :D

Shift to access stamp tool

U trollin me bro? I tried this and felt like a fool; it just made me draw straight lines as usual

TAB toggles the visibility of the tools and palettes.

It would be really handy if you could toggle just a few of the windows at a time, like hiding the layers and the brush settings when you don't need them but keep the toolbar on screen, does someone know if you can do that?

tagYURIT
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
One-Point Perspective, quick and dirty:
Form tool => Star(in polygon options), 99 sides, 99% indent.
Result:
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/one-point.jpg

cool. haha

Rubisko
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Cool indeed, Dave Rapoza showed it during one of his livestreams.

Anyway guys, did you know that if you press and hold down a hotkey for a tool while using another tool, you automatically switch back upon release.
So if you work with the brush, and suddenly want to make a stroke with the eraser, you can just hold E briefly and when you release it it will be the brush tool again. I find that extremely helpful!

Rubisko
03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah, so we've covered some ground already in this thread, and I'll soon try to sum it all up in the first post.

So it seems that Photoshop CS6 beta is out and available to download at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/photoshopcs6.html

Have anyone tried it yet? Are there any news for digital painting in it? I won't have time to check it out until the week after the next, so if anyone has picked it up I'd love to know what you think of it

Sylux
03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Haha, that's a great idea Cloudy; if I do that I can change the title of the thread to either "[Photoshop]The Sorted Assorted Knowledge Thread" or "[Photoshop] The Assorted Knowledge Thread: Now Sorted!". I wonder what I'll choose :D

U trollin me bro? I tried this and felt like a fool; it just made me draw straight lines as usual

TAB toggles the visibility of the tools and palettes.

It would be really handy if you could toggle just a few of the windows at a time, like hiding the layers and the brush settings when you don't need them but keep the toolbar on screen, does someone know if you can do that?
Oh whoops it might be s try that. Yeah I find lots of strange shortcuts when I switch from Zbrush back to other programs (s in Zbrush bring up brush size iirc)

Rubisko
03-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E: Merge all of your visible layers into one new layer, WITHOUT loosing the original layers. Winning =)
(skip the Alt to delete the original layers, if that's the way you wanna roll)

Rio
03-31-2012, 01:39 PM
^^^
Yeah, that comes in really handy! Also, if you just want to join the upper level with a lower level, just hit Ctrl+E

Some other shortcuts I use:
Ctrl+' = brings up grid or closes it out depending on if it was already on the canvas or not
Ctrl+L = brings up Level window (easier to being up then Brightness/Contrast so I've been using this instead)
Ctrl+A = selects the whole canvas
Ctrl+D = deselects whatever was selected on the canvas
Ctrl+Shift+I = inverts the selected
Ctrl+S = Save
Ctrl+Shift+S = Save As... (<--- every program should have this. I find myself doing this when trying to save documents in other programs)

and that's all I remember for now. C:

GunZet
04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
These are simple ones everyone should already know, but might fool peeps new to PS.

Pressing Ctrl+Z doesn't continuously undo, it toggles between undo, and redo.
In order for it to work like other programs, use
Ctrl+Alt+Z aka Step backward in edit
Step forward is
Ctrl+Shift+Z

Shoes the shortcuts to these and more in the edit panel.

EDIT- Woops, it's in the first post... well here it is again xD

Rubisko
04-26-2012, 01:34 AM
R to rotate canvas (CS5 and up)

ram
04-26-2012, 06:46 AM
When I didn't have a tablet before I use photoshop pen tool..

click and drag then alt at the point to break the point(which you probably already know)
to those who don't just watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrtyNmp3A4

Anyways what they don't teach you in youtube is that if you ctrl+click anywhere on the canvas, it'll unselect the points so you can draw new ones.

Sutari
04-26-2012, 07:25 AM
If anyone already knew or already posted any of what i'm going to say, I apologize. But this is what I use almost every time i draw something in PS.

1. Ctrl+U = Hue/Saturation (you probably knew that)

2. Ctrl+L = Levels (probably knew that too)

3. Create a layer with the OVERLAY layer mode above your sketch layer to change its color. Just fill/gradient and it will show up on anything you've drawn on the layer below. Though I think the sketch layer has to be transparent...

4. Group multiple layers together, and put a quick mask on the folder. Then use white and black to "erase" and "fill in". It works well when you use multiple layers for coloring hair/skin etc, and end up changing the lineart. (no one likes having to redo multiple layers of color manually, amirite)

5. Make your own brush by drawing a shape/squiggle/whatever you want on a transparent layer, magic wand select, then go to "EDIT- Define Brush Preset". Useful for making logos/quick signatures etc. And you can make your brush (or any others you have) into a concept art brush by changing the spacing and the opacity (click "Brush Tip Shape" under Brush Preset in the brushes window).

6. Unlock your Background layer by double-clicking it and hitting "ok". You can even name it then. But I only use it if I accidentally sketch on the BG layer instead of a transparent...

7. Hold "Alt" after you lasso'd something to reverse-lasso anything you didn't want to select.

8. when using the Zoom or Move tool, click any number on your keyboard to change the 10 column in the layer opacity bar. Double click that number to change the 1 column (Its a habit for me to press Z and then 3 for 30&#37; opacity on a sketch before i make a lineart layer).

9. Change the mode of any color layer to "Multiply" to have it shade across all layers below it. Though this is kind of cheating IMO, and it would be better to actually learn how colors work :P

10. Select something with the lasso and right-click (or tablet pen button), and click "Layer via copy" to make a transparent layer with a copy of the selection. It is kind of like the Duplicate tool in GroupBoard, but without having to use a marquee.

ram
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.keyxl.com/aaac987/148/Adobe-Photoshop-CS3-keyboard-shortcuts.htm

http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/shortcuts/

Edit: not all shotcut keys might be useful.. I just pick what I click the most and try to find the shortcut key for that through google.. though I did found out that you can actually modify it anyways so shotcut keys doesn't matter much anymore.

Rubisko
07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Alright, so I just found out something wonderful! The number keys (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0) control the opacity setting of the brush tool. I've heard people mention it, but I always thought that it was something they had bound themselves. As I'm unable to use my tablet right now I figured I'd try to bind all the tools I usually use to something comfortable in the meantime. After 30 mins of trying to figure out how to bind opacity I found out that they are bound like that by default. I guess some of you've always know this, but I sure didn't so I figured that I should share this

Edit: Sutari mentioned this above. I notice now. Lol, I should have read that post more carfully months ago :p

toast
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
This should be stickied :D (as well as other helpful threads)